• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Ok Boomer" is stupid. "Karen" is spot-on

Super Mario

Banned
I'll admit, I've laughed at quite a few arguments where someone pours out their heart and soul into it, only to be responded with "Ok Boomer". It's purely a comical thing to me. Although, some younger people legitimately think that being a boomer means that is a terrible thing. Not even close.

Enter Karen. It is always terrible to be a Karen. That is something you choose. To which people like me, have no problem hating your lifestyle. I just read an angry Karen complaining that the trash men "THREW" her garbage can. With all of the capital letters, exclamation points, and disgust included. While many other Karens responded with empathy that another Karen had to endure such a thing. They are always the most rude and angry with the people who do the jobs that they would never, ever, touch.

I can't fucking stand them. Having worked with them for years, they are the worst kind of people. They are fucking lazy, they think the world revolves around them, they are rude, they are nosy. When did Karens become a thing? It wasn't always this way. Meanwhile, no one puts them in their place. Can someone please do so?

End rant

I'm curious where it originated, the specific naming. All I can think of when I hear that name is Liotta in Goodfellas

I thought there was some lady who became a meme for asking for the manager in some viral vid or something like that

karen-meme.jpeg

Last edited:
I don’t even know what a Karen is?

just quoting what first came up in google search

The Karen meme is the latest meme to take Twitter by storm following the likes of “Ok Boomer,” “BBQ Becky” and “Cornerstore Caroline.” But much like everything on Twitter, it has led to controversy, think pieces and some outrageous hot takes.

The meme typically refers to a woman, usually white, who is seen as demanding and privileged. A “let me talk to your manager” person who believes she is entitled to something and always has to get her way. If you need a mental image, think of Kate Gosselin from the show “Kate Plus 8.”

“The Karen meme is used to reference a middle-class white woman who feels entitled to special treatment,” said Jacqueline Arcy, assistant professor of new media at the University of Wisconsin-Parkside. “She is depicted as the type of person that asks to ‘speak to a manager’ when she is dissatisfied with her service, often provided by working-class people of color. A defining feature of a ‘Karen’ is that she is oblivious to her white privilege.”

I won't go so far as to call my ex-wife a "Karen" because she does have some wonderful qualities. However, there were some real Karen moments from her that used to drive me bonkers.

Here's one example that used to really just make me question how different people's brains can be.

We would go out to eat and sit down and start browsing the menu. I would decide what I wanted to eat in like a minute or two, tell the waiter and wait patiently for my food.

My ex, however, would sit there for 15 minutes minimum (unless the menu had about 8 items or less, lol) and go back and forth endlessly about what to order. Now that's not the most Karen thing, but the way she interacted with the wait staff was imo. She would have about a dozen questions about every single item on the menu, and once she was finally gently persuaded to pick something she would have another half dozen "special requests" for her special meal. "Could you do this for me, and this, and make it like this, but not too much of this, and make *sure* not to do this." I used to look at her with a "who the hell do you think you are?" look. And why do you think this fast casual place (or anywhere else really) is going to be interested in accommodating all your little demands. But she seemed to think it was perfectly reasonable for them to cater to her every whim - naturally because, in those moments, she was as Karen as can be imo.

StormCell

I won't go so far as to call my ex-wife a "Karen" because she does have some wonderful qualities. However, there were some real Karen moments from her that used to drive me bonkers.

Here's one example that used to really just make me question how different people's brains can be.

We would go out to eat and sit down and start browsing the menu. I would decide what I wanted to eat in like a minute or two, tell the waiter and wait patiently for my food.

My ex, however, would sit there for 15 minutes minimum (unless the menu had about 8 items or less, lol) and go back and forth endlessly about what to order. Now that's not the most Karen thing, but the way she interacted with the wait staff was imo. She would have about a dozen questions about every single item on the menu, and once she was finally gently persuaded to pick something she would have another half dozen "special requests" for her special meal. "Could you do this for me, and this, and make it like this, but not too much of this, and make *sure* not to do this." I used to look at her with a "who the hell do you think you are?" look. And why do you think this fast casual place (or anywhere else really) is going to be interested in accommodating all your little demands. But she seemed to think it was perfectly reasonable for them to cater to her every whim - naturally because, in those moments, she was as Karen as can be imo.

And she probably strongly believes these workers should only be paid the minimum wage while they're at it. I mean, for chrissakes they can't even get my order right!

Someday we'll find it, the Karen connection. The managers, the haircuts, and me!

That last woman with, "I have private stuff that I don't want you to see. You're discriminating against me." LMAO

People are just something else.

Edit: Also the lady with the hole in the mask because it's hard to breathe. smh

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I think you kinda misunderstand the point of "OK Boomer"; it's not meant just for actual baby boomers. So yes, you choose to be a "boomer", just like you choose to be a Karen.

I'm a total "boomer" so I had to have this explained to me, boomer.

Last edited:

Mate that was an amalgamation of entitlement & a power trip.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!

Quite a catch you had

This would be great and all if Twitter wasn’t like “OMG my kid just shit in this ladies driveway and then she yelled at my kid about it and I’m like OK Karen”.

Airola

I want someone to make a sexy and informative meme picture of Karen's secret sexual endeavors with Chad.

White women are the most privileged class of people on Earth. When you run into one who lost her looks due to age and obesity, and is accustomed to literally getting everything they want handed to them for their entire life but now doesnt always get special treatment because she's not 30 y/o, you have encountered a Karen.

Davey Cakes

What’s funny is that people keep trying to find a male version of a Karen. There isn’t one. Men that behave in such an entitled manner merely fall into the “disgruntled customer” group.

Women that exhibit the Karen archetype are more distinctly recognizable.

Last edited:

Banned
I'll admit, I've laughed at quite a few arguments where someone pours out their heart and soul into it, only to be responded with "Ok Boomer". It's purely a comical thing to me. Although, some younger people legitimately think that being a boomer means that is a terrible thing. Not even close.

Enter Karen. It is always terrible to be a Karen. That is something you choose. To which people like me, have no problem hating your lifestyle. I just read an angry Karen complaining that the trash men "THREW" her garbage can. With all of the capital letters, exclamation points, and disgust included. While many other Karens responded with empathy that another Karen had to endure such a thing. They are always the most rude and angry with the people who do the jobs that they would never, ever, touch.

I can't fucking stand them. Having worked with them for years, they are the worst kind of people. They are fucking lazy, they think the world revolves around them, they are rude, they are nosy. When did Karens become a thing? It wasn't always this way. Meanwhile, no one puts them in their place. Can someone please do so?

End rant

ok bomber

Kamina

Golden Boy
Another briandead meme developed in america.
Whats the point in taking a random female name and turning it into an insult for a specific type of woman?

Top Bottom