• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok. Kirk vs Picard. Who's the better captain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
my buddy is trying to say Kirk was a better captain. I say Picard because Picard was far more rational.

Kirk is the Teddy Roosevelt of Starfleet captains, while Picard is the Jefferson.

what do you guys think? tell me i'm right. picard is a WAY better captain than kirk. Not a better SOLDIER, but captain.

zoku88

Picard is the better captain but Kirk has the better gifs

Case in point:
142mw2.jpg

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I agree, but I need some proof.

I said that Picard was far stronger at upholding the prime directive than Kirk and he said that in Kirk's time you couldn't uphold it otherwise you'd get killed by some alien species. He was cocksure but not to the point where he wouldnt eventually listen to reason.

Its a tie, if they met in battle they'd obliterate each other

While Kirk got chased by giant cats, had trouble with Tribbles, fought giant lizardmen

Picard faced the Borg

"I cant feel me leg Jim"

Ela Hadrun

Probably plays more games than you
Only question I ever thought was hard...

No, seriously, Picard.

Kirk got more play though. If Beverly Crusher had been James T Kirk's CMO they would have a Von Trapp Family's worth of offspring by now.

MisterHero

Kirk was the better leader.

Picard was the better tactician.

They'd make a hell of a team, but damn they killed Kirk already. :(

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
we've got aubrey and sisko in here. if someone says janeway then they deserve to be banned.

SORRY JANEWAY BUT YOU SET WOMENKIND BACK A MILLION YEARS BY LOSING YOUR SPACESHIP WHILE ON IT. NICE MOVE STUPID. AND THEN YOU STOPPED TO ASK DIRECTIONS AND PICKED UP THAT STUPID FERENGI THINGY. WTF KILL IT WITH A STICK!

janeway is the hillary clinton of starfleet.

MisterHero

whytemyke said:
we've got aubrey and sisko in here. if someone says janeway then they deserve to be banned.

SORRY JANEWAY BUT YOU SET WOMENKIND BACK A MILLION YEARS BY LOSING YOUR SPACESHIP WHILE ON IT. NICE MOVE STUPID. AND THEN YOU STOPPED TO ASK DIRECTIONS AND PICKED UP THAT STUPID FERENGI THINGY. WTF KILL IT WITH A STICK!

Quiet you.

Janeway killed a Borg Queen and potentially infected others through Unimatrix Zero.

So between her and Picard they've killed 2 Borg Queens.

And going by that special DS9 episode a side-by-side comparison could be made that Kirk > Sisko.

So I say Picard = Kirk > Sisko = Janeway > Sam Beckett = Hikaru Sulu.

theultimo

whytemyke said:

And technically the oldest captain in starfleet, as a lizard.

Ripclawe

Banned
radjago said:
Picard looked out for his crew. Kirk looked out for #1,
his penis

Hey, Kirk was such a badass he looked out for his crew and well as himself. Picard was this mealy mouth angst ridden emo Captain who agonized over every decision.

Kirk
Sisko
Picard

in that order.

B.K.

MisterHero said:

And going by that special DS9 episode a side-by-side comparison could be made that Kirk > Sisko.

But Sisko killed a god and then became a god.

MisterHero said:
Quiet you.

Janeway killed a Borg Queen and potentially infected others through Unimatrix Zero.

How many wars did Janeway start by blatantly ignoring the Starfleet Directives through diplomatic espionage? Sisko did it, cause he is a badass motherfucker, and he can live with it.

MisterHero

ConfusingJazz said:
How many wars did Janeway start by blatantly ignoring the Starfleet Directives through diplomatic espionage? Sisko did it, cause he is a badass motherfucker, and he can live with it.
Oh the Starfleet Directives are drivel. Every major Captain ignored them some time or another. :lol
B.K. said:
But Sisko killed a god and then became a god.
Yay I get to live in a Wormhole now.

And it's completely light.

How do I get some sleep around here

MisterHero said:
Oh the Starfleet Directives are drivel. Every major Captain ignored them some time or another. :lol

Yeah, but not quite in an awesome way such as this. C'mon, what other captain would even think of doing a false flag attack to bring the Romulans in as an ally? Answer: none, because they are neutered by this "perfect" Starfleet thinking. I have always wanted to see a show about regular people in the Star Trek universe, something that shows that no, despite what everybody says, humanity is not this perfect dreamland and there are flaws in the system, must be why I liked Firefly so much...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Sisko2375.jpg

MisterHero said:
Quiet you.

Sisko duped the Romulans.

Sisko led the war against one of the greatest threats the Federation ever faced.

Sisko BUILT his own ship.

Sisko was able to intimidate Worf. Worf just tolerated Picard.

Sisko threw a Tribble at Captain Kirk

Sisko told off Picard

Biggest Reason Sisko > Kirk

Sisko SAVED his son from the Klingons

MisterHero

ConfusingJazz said:
Yeah, but not quite in an awesome way such as this. C'mon, what other captain would even think of doing a false flag attack to bring the Romulans in as an ally? Answer: none, because they are neutered by this "perfect" Starfleet thinking. I have always wanted to see a show about regular people in the Star Trek universe, something that shows that no, despite what everybody says, humanity is not this perfect dreamland and there are flaws in the system, must be why I liked Firefly so much...
Oh yeah?!?

Well...

PICARD KILLED SISKO'S WIFE

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
you guys are saying picard,and i agree with ya, but i need talking points :lol

all i've got so far is he basically took it from Q constantly and barely defeated the Borg. Really it was Riker who defeated the Borg... sooo yeah. need some assistance.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
whytemyke said:

all i've got so far is he basically took it from Q constantly and barely defeated the Borg. Really it was Riker who defeated the Borg... sooo yeah. need some assistance.

To be fair Kirk, encountered plenty of omnipotent beings, one of whom could have easily been a Q. Kirk was also a shoot first ask later type guy, where Picard was a diplomat.

MisterHero

whytemyke said:

He made sure First Contact happened.

zoku88

Ripclawe said:
Hey, Kirk was such a badass he looked out for his crew and well as himself. Picard was this mealy mouth angst ridden emo Captain who agonized over every decision.

Kirk
Sisko
Picard

in that order.
Hey, if Kirk is so good, why did he DIE and Picard LIVE, huh?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
88 reasons Sisko is better than everyone.

1. He managed to blackmail a Ferengi (Emissary)
2. When Klingons attack him he not only kicks their ass but gets them to surrender
3. His son isn't a snot-nosed geek
4. His XO wears a cool earring
5. He has never, ever been split into a good and evil half
6. After being critically wounded he still has a sense of humour
7. Janeway worshiped a god. Kirk fought a god. Picard became a god. Sisko has done all three with style.
8. His lectures make southern Baptist preachers jealous
9. Can lay out a guilt trip like no other
10. Hasn't been beaten in hand to hand combat.
11. Drinks Klingon Coffee (rakatajino) instead Earl Grey or wimpy human coffee.
12. First Officer has never betrayed the Federation
13. Has a Doctor that doesn't mind killing a couple of Klingons before breakfast.
14. One word: Defiant
15. Sisko's girl came back even though it meant a jail sentence
16. After a Klingon killed his friend, Sisko kicked his ass really hard
17. He and his crew took on a Klingon fleet.
18. His enigineer never had to go to the academy because he is SOOOOOO good.
19. He can out Ferengi the Ferengi.
20. His science officer has found anomalies boring.
21. He lost his true love to the Borg not some wimpy Klingons or Q
22. After fighting the Dominion he went and got a new ship. After five years Kirk got the same ship with a software upgrade.
23. When he say, "fire a spread of torpedeos" Worf fires more than one
24. He managed to SAVE his son from the Klingons.
25. He actually realizes that there is no up and down in space
26. Worf wouldn't live much longer if threatened to kill Sisko where he stood
27. Q came to DS9 once and was scared away. He won't leave Janeway or Picard alone.
28. Two words: Quantum Torpedeos
29. Sisko makes a better Klingon than Worf
30. Plays baseball instead of reading Shakespeare
31. Fought gentically engineered soldiers (Jem'Hadar) in hand to hand and not only won but gained their respect.
32. When he chases Maquis in to the badlands he doesn't get lost
33. His XO fought the Cardassians and won.
34. His Bartender doesn't wear silly hats
35. When he opens fire nothing survives
36. His ship has armour.
37. He lets Worf get violent
38. Not only did he help build the Defiant, but he can cook too
39. His son actually looks like him
40. He can get his unifroms tailored.
41. Destrying Klingon ships is a hobby
42. He has never been captured by the Cardies
43. O'Brien and Worf prefer him to Picard
44. When Admirals go crazy he holds them at phaser point. Picard just talks to them in a stern voice
45. Starfleet listens to him instead of the other way around
46. He was prophecied
47. He has fought enemies that would make Kirk cringe.
48. If you are lying he will tell you so.
49. Sisko was scared once. He didn't like it and has never been since
50. He saves the Federation on a daily basis.
51. When someone betrays him he promises to hunt them to the ends of the universe
52. He knows what a hot dog is.
53. When he was only a commander he had the most powerful ship in the fleet
54. Death is scared of him.
55. Kirk has to slingshot around the sun. Janeway and Picard are sucked into temporal rifts. Sisko has an orb that is safe, clean and quick.
56. He never had to steal his cloaking device
57. His XO looks good in leather.
58. Both Janeway and Picard have been stuck in the Delta Quadrant. Sisko knows better
59. He holds a grudge
60. He always shoots to kill
61. When he gets angry he makes Klingons cry
62. Sisko saved Kirk's life from a tribble
63. He is a major figure of Earth History.. twice. (Gabriel Bell and Ben Sisko).
64. Has crossed over into parallel universe. Not scared. Did it again.
65. Avery is by far the best first name of a ST Captain's actor.
66. Only person who doesn't get weak in the knees just looking at Terry Farrell
67. Only person on DS9 not afraid of Kira
68. Used to hang out with Curzon Dax
69. Can throw a killer fastball.
70. Is a GOOD Dad
71. He sets the fashions for the Federation (Generations - Voyager)
72. He beat ex-terrorist Bajoran military at guerrilla warfare (The Seige)
73. He'll never spend an episode wondering if he should have had a family
74. His security officer would have a reasonable explanation for growing a ponytail between episodes
75. He underwent torture by dehydration in a Polo-neck! (Paradise)
76. He overturned centuries of Cardassian legal precedent by walking into a courtroom and just looking at the judge (Tribunal)
77. Tests show, if he doesn't get his own way, he'll collapse the wormhole (The Search, Part II)
78. When Picard falls in love, complex ethical reasons prevent him from continuing . When Sisko fell in love , the only thing that stopped him was her being a figment of somebody else's imagination (Second Sight)
79. He survived Wolf 359 without being on the Borg's side (Emissary)
80. Picard's entire command crew would NEVER all go to his quarters for a meal (Picard had cooked himself (Equilibrium)
81. He trashed a gambling joint with his Science Officer (Rivals)
82. He's the equivalent of Moses in the Bajoran Religion
83. Omnipotent, shmomnipotent . He punched Q instead of hiding in his ready room. (Q-Less)
84. He shrugged of a Klingon's headbutt, roared, hit the Klingon off a console twice and flipped him over his back (Invasive Procedures)
85. Nobody escapes from the Jem'Hadar . Except Sisko . Twice (The Jem'Hadar - The Search, Part II)
86. Rearrange these words into a well known phrase or saying : Device, Cloaking (The Search, Part I - Defiant)
87. Starfleet ordered Picard to take command of the Enterprise, Sisko ordered Stafleet to give him the Defiant (The Search, Part I)
88. Picard is a major figure in the Federation, Sisko is a major figure in Earth history (Past Tense, Part II)

ConfusingJazz said:
Wait, a Vulcan being emo?

Wait, I am able to see the contradiction in these terms? No wonder I am on the Internet on a Saturday night.

I guess you've never seen that vulcan's emo meltdowns

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
MisterHero said:
Picard and Kirk have counterpoints to everyone one of those.

But you keep living the crazy dream Benjy

2 points that put him above the other captains alone.

Q came to DS9 once and was scared away. He won't leave Janeway or Picard alone.

Sisko SAVED his son from the Klingons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom