• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok, so really how much improvement gains can we honestly expect from RDNA 2 for the new consoles?

So watching this video from DF, they run a close to like for like of x1x GPU for a RDNA 1 GPU with cores, but higher clock and get up to over a 100% improvement in performance in some games and 80% in others.
Now thats using RDNA 1, and we expect another 25% improvement with RDNA 2.

You then look at performance on a per clock basis over GCN to RDNA 1.and its 25%, and another 25% to RDNA 2, and that says we can expect a 50% improvement.

Then add on to that improvements like Mesh Shading, VRS, Machine learning and SSDs, and where do we really end up?

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Indeed. Hardware might not tell the whole story this time. I’ve been noticing the various software enhancements, and smarter engineering.

Just something like no longer having to load unnecessary things into RAM because a hard drive is so slow, could make 16GB perform better than we expect.

The specs are already impressive for console, no matter which side of the fence you sit on. I’m really looking forward to seeing if they can punch quite a bit above their weight too.

pawel86ck

Banned
ZiSUBog.jpg

AI can boost performance 3x times and still offer close to 4K quality. We will also have VRS (up to 75% performance boost in 3dmark), mesh shading and not to mention huge architecture gains over GCN tahiti and zen 2 CPU. I think the gap between PS4 / xbox one and PS5 / XSX will be much bigger than the last one (PS3 vs PS4).

Last edited:

DESTROYA

ZiSUBog.jpg

AI can boost performance 3x times and still offer close to 4K quality. We will also have VRS (up to 75% performance boost in 3dmark), mesh shading and not to mention huge architecture gains over GCN tahiti and zen 2 CPU. I think the gap between PS4 / xbox one and PS5 / XSX will be much bigger than the last one (PS3 vs PS4).
What do Nvidia cards have to do with it when both run custom AMD GPU’s? :pie_thinking:

Top Bottom