• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok, some of you will find that this better explains NFT

NinjaBoiX

Yup, pretty much sums it up.

NFT’s are yet another thing in life that I just cannot fathom why people waste their money with it.

Do these people genuinely think it’s an investment? Like, they’ll be able to sell it for more down the line?

It’s a swindle, none of this will be worth ANYTHING in a few years time once the fad subsides.

Dreamin

buying a nft isn't the issue, buying a low quality digital image is pretty stupid - i'd gladly buy a nft if it was for properly or stock ownership, in that way it'd be waaaaay better authentication than the current rules of being able to lend 1 of something 5 or 10 times or whatever with the current locates system.
It's cool for games, from the point of view of owning assets like digital cards or something but it's main use is probably not going to be games but a replacement for the banking/lending etc systems

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F7c444771-6cb6-4736-b917-effdd5dadbf1_353x500.jpeg

I think so, but who knows....The same things was said for Bitcoin.
There is some utility in a digital store of value. In the same way we agree a dollar is worth “something” if enough people agree a Bitcoin is worth “something”, it can be used to trade value. And as long as it functions reliably, that actually provides a meaningful function.

NFTs of high school level doodles provide no value or function unless you can convince gullible morons to give you money for them. They are a digital trading card market. The idea that anyone pays thousands for a piece of card stock with a glossy picture of Michael Jordan as a rookie was always insane. But at least it had some sentimental value if you’re a fan of MJ. No one gives a shit about “bored apes”. The people plunking down the equivalent of thousands of dollars in etherium for this fad are fools.

TrueLegend

I think so, but who knows....The same things was said for Bitcoin.
There is some utility in a digital store of value. In the same way we agree a dollar is worth “something” if enough people agree a Bitcoin is worth “something”, it can be used to trade value. And as long as it functions reliably, that actually provides a meaningful function.
Lol

thefool

There is a fundamental misconception on this video (and I suppose nft's discussion in general) that they are related only with art/media.
Secondly, there is in fact some (not a lot...its expensive) art-nft's where the artwork is stored on-chain. And more decentralized solutions to host this sort of stuff is being worked on.

While I believe art-nfts are in fact another asset class in the making, its also undeniable they are absurdly mispriced and the vast (vast) majority of projects in this space are straight up scams.

Last edited:

8bitpill

Gold Member
My Father in Law drops some quality lines over the past fifteen years I've been with his daughter. One that has played out again and again is this one,

"There is an idiot born everyday."

giphy.gif

Top Bottom