• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ok, Valve really has to lower their 30% revenue at this point.

Kadayi

Banned
Not lazy, but by the end of this year, Epic will have added almost every major feature that Steam has to offer. This took Valve a decade to do.

They don't make games (at least not the games people are asking for).

VNN explained this very well.

Considering the last time you apparently logged into Steam Gamezone was over 11 years ago according to your own Profile (hint it's in your about page ) I think you might find that there are a lot more features to Steam now than you perhaps know about, and based on Epics EGS Roadmap, they sure as shit won't be delivering anywhere near a comparable experience from a user perspective.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
when the steam client gets updated this year
Let's hope they remember to add the option to disable auto updates and that the top right "x" should close the window, not minimize.

Last time I had the bad idea of trying that pos software it was riddled of tons of little unsufferable things like these that made me bust a vessel.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Let's hope they remember to add the option to disable auto updates and that the top right "x" should close the window, not minimize.

Last time I had the bad idea of trying that pos software it was riddled of tons of little unsufferable things like these that made me bust a vessel.

And when was that again exactly? Which of your 12 games were you playing?

I think it's all very well for Steam to be criticised, but when it's coming from people with minimal if any actual engagement with it on a regular basis, it gets somewhat wearing.

Last edited:
When I first heard that steam rakes in 30% from sales I honestly couldn't believe. I thought surely no way it's above 10%. 30% is madness.

Fuz

Banned
And when was that again exactly? Which of your 12 games were you playing?

I think it's all very well for Steam to be criticised, but when it's coming from people with minimal if any actual engagement with it on a regular basis, it gets somewhat wearing.
Blah blah blah.

The minimal engagement comes exactly from how shitty steam is.

Or do I have to keep using something I hate indefinitely just to prove I know it's shitty?

I was trying Dissidia NT, if you care.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
BThe minimal engagement comes exactly from how shitty steam is.

Or do I have to keep using something I hate indefinitely just to prove I know it's shitty?

How is that you are incapable of understanding how having minimal engagement with a product on your part, kind of undermines the actual validity of any criticisms you may have with it? I don't think Steam is perfect, but at least I've spent enough time with it over the last 15 years to be able to tell you with some experience what I don't like about it from an informed position.

Fuz

Banned
How is that you are incapable of understanding how having minimal engagement with a product on your part, kind of undermines the actual validity of any criticisms you may have with it? I don't think Steam is perfect, but at least I've spent enough time with it over the last 15 years to be able to tell you with some experience what I don't like about it from an informed position.
Then all the people criticizing the epic game store should immediately stop.

Please, stop spewing your nonsense. I've used steam enough to know I hate it.

Kadayi

Banned
Then all the people criticizing the epic game store should immediately stop..

Do you seriously think people here haven't looked at the Store? After they announced at the VGAs I installed the store and I gave it a spin. I only uninstalled it when the spyware issue came to light. From a functionality perspective, there's little to recommend about if you're a long term dedicated Steam user. It makes even Uplay look classy, and nothing they've talked about in their roadmap shows much likelihood of improvement.

Please, stop spewing your nonsense. I've used steam enough to know I hate it

Impotent rage doesn't cut it criticism circles I'm afraid.

Valve lowering their take won't preclude Epic from moneyhatting games. Devs aren't signing on for EGS exclusivity because of Epic's ideals or purported Dev focus. They're signing on because Epic is throwing literal millions of V-Bucks at their publishers. Epic got you all fucked up with their take talk, and that was half the point.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
After they announced at the VGAs I installed the store and I gave it a spin. I only uninstalled it when the spyware issue came to light.
BRO YOU HAVEN'T TESTED IT ENOUGH TO GIVE A VALID CRITICISM
YOUR OPINION HAS ZERO FUCKING VALUE

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
BRO YOU HAVEN'T TESTED IT ENOUGH TO GIVE A VALID CRITICISM
YOUR OPINION HAS ZERO FUCKING VALUE

nHauOHS.gif

You and Gamezone should set up a Steam Group. That would be a first for both of you :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

SweetShark

No they don't. Why? Their competitors all suck.

I'm guessing the OP works for Epic as every single post on here is something anti-Steam pro-Epic, if not you got a hardon for a company that does not deserve a dime until they prove their worth.

There's nothing impressive about Epic, NOTHING. Living on the clout of taking money from kids who play Fortnite IS NOT IMPRESSIVE.

Get yourself an exclusive game that the vast majority of people actually want and you will get some praise. Until then you're just a copycat company doing a shitty job to win business only by undercutting your superior competitor.

itch.io is a good place so please don't put it in the same basket with some other "competitors".

Kishidle

Neo Member
Not lazy, but by the end of this year, Epic will have added almost every major feature that Steam has to offer. This took Valve a decade to do.

They don't make games (at least not the games people are asking for).

VNN explained this very well.

If it takes you a year to match a competitor's feature set I think you've pretty much lost, no? Heck, why is it taking them a year to reach feature parity with Steam? It should've had almost all of it from the get-go.

Oh right, it took them a week to get a search button going for their store. A thing that should have been there right from the start. Yep.

Can we call EGS an early-access title then? lol

sol_bad

They can't have feature parity with Steam, they are letting publishers/developers decide if a game can have reviews or not.

Solomeena

Banned
It's way too much. Imagine 1000s of devs working on some of those games and a shop with a support staff of 2 or 3 takes 30% from sales. Madness.

Dude you have no idea how cuts work. Did you know that physical games sold in stores get even a higher percentage cut taken by brick and mortar retailers? 30 percent is fair when Valve provides everything to the devs like unlimited updates to their games and what not.

LOLCats

Banned
Na, not likely, besides they gotta pay for that sweet bandwidth pipe. Ive never looked but i wonder if they outsource thier CDN. Anyways that all costs money and loads of it.

CuNi

It's way too much. Imagine 1000s of devs working on some of those games and a shop with a support staff of 2 or 3 takes 30% from sales. Madness.

Then please gladly provide what you think would be a fair price, either by fixed monthly cost or cut % for the following features your game gets on steam:
Free hosting
Free distribution of Updates
Free forum
Free and completely functional multiplayer backend for your servers and your matchmaking
Free keys you can give out to media/reviewers
Free keys you can sell on whatever store you want to without giving any cut to Valve as long as you don't undersell Valve by too much so that it would be unfair to Steam users.

Futaleufu

There are several reasons lowering the cut is bad idea.

-Lowering the 30% may endanger legit key resellers
-Steam sells prepaid cards at a loss.
-A lot of bandwidth and store features

And they turned around the industry when everyone else was jumping ship, so they deserve it.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

If Valve was smart they'd nip this in the bud and drop their cut. Doing that stops Epic's store dead in their tracks. Right now Epic doesn't have any of the features that Steam has, literally the only advantage they have is game exclusivity deals, which is mostly happening because of the high percentage Valve is taking off the top.

Top Bottom