• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okay, TeamCG. Come own up to your foolishness. #trolljima

Is Joakim Mogren CG?

Results are only viewable after voting.
I've been keeping tabs on this thread all day and it's hillarious. The funny thing is that when the Phantom Pain trailer debuted at the VGA's there were people on GAF that complained it looked like a Vita game (which I don't agree with) So, according to GAF, we've gone from the Fox Engine putting out Vita-level visuals to CGI that rivals anything Hollywood has created.

I watched the interview on TV and again on GTTV.com, it's not, or at least the majority of the inteview, CGI. The GIF of the shcoked Joakim face that has been posted a thousand times in this thread lasted all of a half-second to a second in the interview. Of course it looks weird when you have a half second of footage slowed down to like a 30 second GIF.

I mean, Jesus Christ, ask yourself this. What the helll is the point of CGI that is so advanced that you can't tell the difference between a real human and a CGI model? Even if this was CGI, what would be the point? How would this even make sense in a game? It would be cheaper just to shoot a live action shot of some dude then spend hundreds of hours making photo-realistic CGI. I mean, we've seen the trailer for Ground Zeroes. What is the point to this? I don't even want photo realism. I lived through the FMV era in games. It sucked.

Here's my theory. The vast majority of consumers are stupid and have to have stuff spelled out for them. Everyone on GAF within 20 seconds of watching the Phantom Pain trailer knew it was Metal Gear-related. Johhny "I've Got 60 bucks to spend" Go Lightly was probably too stupid to realize that this is all a game. I guarantee you there were people that only get their gaming news from GTTV who suddenly realized that Moby Dick Studios doesn't exist and that the Phantom Pain is related to Konami. Never underestimate the stupidity of the general consumer.

I'm expecting a full Ground Zeroes trailer and reveal at GDC, not some Kojima announcement that they tricked everyone in a GTTV interview and created the most photo-realistic CGI ever conceived by man.

I've been keeping tabs on this thread all day and it's hillarious. The funny thing is that when the Phantom Pain trailer debuted at the VGA's there were people on GAF that complained it looked like a Vita game (which I don't agree with) So, according to GAF, we've gone from the Fox Engine putting out Vita-level visuals to CGI that rivals anything Hollywood has created.

I watched the interview on TV and again on GTTV.com, it's not, or at least the majority of the inteview, CGI. The GIF of the shcoked Joakim face that has been posted a thousand times in this thread lasted all of a half-second to a second in the interview. Of course it looks weird when you have a half second of footage slowed down to like a 30 second GIF.

I mean, Jesus Christ, ask yourself this. What the helll is the point of CGI that is so advanced that you can't tell the difference between a real human and a CGI model? Even if this was CGI, what would be the point? How would this even make sense in a game? It would be cheaper just to shoot a live action shot of some dude then spend hundreds of hours making photo-realistic CGI. I mean, we've seen the trailer for Ground Zeroes. What is the point to this? I don't even want photo realism. I lived through the FMV era in games. It sucked.

Here's my theory. The vast majority of consumers are stupid and have to have stuff spelled out for them. Everyone on GAF within 20 seconds of watching the Phantom Pain trailer knew it was Metal Gear-related. Johhny "I've Got 60 bucks to spend" Go Lightly was probably too stupid to realize that this is all a game. I guarantee you there were people that only get their gaming news from GTTV who suddenly realized that Moby Dick Studios doesn't exist and that the Phantom Pain is related to Konami. Never underestimate the stupidity of the general consumer.

I'm expecting a full Ground Zeroes trailer and reveal at GDC, not some Kojima announcement that they tricked everyone in a GTTV interview and created the most photo-realistic CGI ever conceived by man.

How's that working out for you? Being clever?

well that was an elaborate way of saying #TeamReal

MormaPope

Banned

You're in luck, guess what Kojima has in mind for part of his GDC session?

'Photorealism through the eyes of a 'Fox' - The core of Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes' (Presented by Kojima Productions)

More details here: http://www.gdconf.com/news/kojima_giving_gdc_2013_talk_to.html

whitehawk

Banned
Casting my vote.

QiBRRhl.png

I was following this thread when the post count was a couple of hundred. Went to bed, woke up next day and now we're at 2500+ post with team cgi and team real talk!. Everything has evolved so quickly and I'm still stuck in the past. Bandaging avatars! I'm so lost.

Anywho,

I'm on team real, even though I wish it was CGI. But I will not bandage my precious Knack avatar!.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I could only watch from my iPad Mini the link in the OP, I've worked with CGI basically 15years and yet it's not easy to tell from such a smallish, full of artifacts, youtube video

31QwmH4.png

Salacious Crumb

Team real is the only logical choice. If it is real we were right and the CG people look stupid. If it is CG, team real will have their minds exploded and be paying a massive compliment to Kojima by believing it was real, while team CG only get to say "I told you so".

It's not CG you crazy bastards.

really you guys are genuinely insane.

seriously

ih1wAXjk1juLd.gif

Look at the left eyelid. Take a close look.

Notice the weird shape it takes at the end of the loop?

Thats a vector not reacting to the movement of the motion capturing tracking ball that maybe sticked to his skin.

Salacious Crumb

ih1wAXjk1juLd.gif

Look at the left eyelid. Take a close look.

Notice the weird shape it takes at the end of the loop?

Thats a vector not reacting to the movement of the motion capturing tracking ball that maybe sticked to his skin.

No it's the tightly wrapped bandage on his head wrinkling his skin after raising his eye brow slightly.

Holy hell, this was only at 11 pages or so when I stopped reading GAF earlier the afternoon. xd

Interested to see what Kojima reveals during that GDC event.

grkazan12

Yeah still have to go with Team Real at this point. I don't care about the heresay that you heathens on Team CG are proclaiming to be true, the man with bandages is a real goddamn man. MARK MY WORDS, when users look back at this thread and this post, they will see that Team Real was on the right side of history.

Dyne

Greasy eyelid gives it away for me, it's definitely real.

I don't care about character look development, none of that makes me interested. Give me bigger worlds like in Banjo: Nuts and Bolts next gen. Fences in games are the worst.

iE6JHz8gFzqnt.gif

Weird lighting thing on his neck.

Also that face will haunt me.

You can see the mic in that video. THERE'S A MIC THERE. I mean, I wouldn't put ite past Kojima to try to troll us like this, but are you telling me there's someone smart enough on their team to explain that we need to render a clip-on mic. If it wasn't there, I'd be inclined to believe it was CGI, but there's a mic. It's right there!

You can see the mic in that video. THERE'S A MIC THERE. I mean, I wouldn't put ite past Kojima to try to troll us like this, but are you telling me there's someone smart enough on their team to explain that we need to render a clip-on mic. If it wasn't there, I'd be inclined to believe it was CGI, but there's a mic. It's right there!

Because mics cant be rendered. Its impossible!

I think the explanation why the lighting is so different is simple:

1- Geoff never interviewed him face to face, no time for it, and it's all marketing so he just filmed his questions in their crappy Gametrailers.com lighting and framing.
2- Joakim is filmed elsewhere by Konami's marketing team, with much more professional lighting/setup.

Nah not with him tweeting pics beforehand. But what probably happened is they only used a single camera so had to film the interview twice and splice both sides together, which happens a lot.

troushers

The big problem with the CG theory that I think no-one has thought of, probably because you ain't smart like me, is about Geoff Keighly himself. Widely known as "the pope of gaming" because of his incorruptible nature, and devotion to the cause of gaming, we are seriously asked to believe a man like this woud put his journalist credibility on the line for a PR exercise??

No Sir. The implications are monstrous. Impugning Mr Keighly in such a way is the mark of a group of loose morals, little better than beasts.

demolitio

I bow to no man and declare allegiance only to myself.

With that being said, thinking it's CG is more fun than being a party pooper. :D

Top Bottom