• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Okinawa Rush - a platform/fighting game with RPG elements

Coda

kKBqiKx.png

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stevex/okinawa-rush-a-platform-fighting-game-with-rpg-ele

So I recently came across this game and it's Kickstarter project and immediately became intrigued and wondered why there wasn't a thread about the game here already. It looks amazing and what I've wanted in the beat 'em up genre. I need more co-op games like this. I tried the demo they have on their site and it's super fun. Fans of the genre need to support this game!

Some gifs to wet your appetite:
a3qYie1.gif

d473fdR.gif

QorUcNu.gif

VqD0E7J.gif

This looks amazing. And there's a demo? Sweet, downloading!

Edit: Demo is fun but it definitely has fluidity / movement issues, beyond it being (I believe) 30 FPS. Sometimes stuff seems to freeze / teleport around, especially when enemies die. It's actually captured in one of the GIFs above:
QorUcNu.gif

When the ponytail dude Shoryukens, he teleports and the other players freeze: at first it seems like the GIF is glitching out, but if you look at the sunset / water, you'll see that part doesn't freeze.

Amagon

Played the demo and good lord, this is fun. Feels like a hidden gem that I had missed out from the yesteryear.

This is definitely getting my support.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
More of a beat'em up than a fighting game, some animations seem to be "inspired" by other games, the uppercut seems really similar to street of rage, the katana stance(and slashed enemy) seems similar to samurai showdown for example.

Coda

This looks amazing. And there's a demo? Sweet, downloading!

Edit: Demo is fun but it definitely has fluidity / movement issues, beyond it being (I believe) 30 FPS. Sometimes stuff seems to freeze / teleport around, especially when enemies die. It's actually captured in one of the GIFs above:
QorUcNu.gif

When the ponytail dude Shoryukens, he teleports and the other players freeze: at first it seems like the GIF is glitching out, but if you look at the sunset / water, you'll see that part doesn't freeze.

Yeah I noticed it in the trailer video as well, it seems to be only appearing in gifs and video capture of the game. I didn't notice it at all while playing the demo.

Sanctuary

Jesus. The terms "RPG" and even "RPG elements" are just horribly overused and misused anymore. The game looks like it might be fun, but get real. Simply having any form of customization doesn't make something have "RPG elements".

Coda

Jesus. The terms "RPG" and even "RPG elements" are just horribly overused and misused anymore. The game looks like it might be fun, but get real. Simply having any form of customization doesn't make something have "RPG elements".

I hear you, I just put that title as that's what they billed the game as. If a moderator could change the title of the thread and add the platforms and that it's a Kickstarter project that would be awesome.

Was going to mention that the characters remind me a lot of the First Samurai and International Karate Advanced sprites, a bit nicer though, and they actually mention The Bitmap Brothers and Exploding Fist on their Kickstarter page, so there's definitely some C64/Amiga inspired art in there.

Looks pretty nice, hope they manage to get a boost in these last couple of days.

Justinh

When they do the uppercuts, they should shout out "RYU-KYU-KEN"

Looking forward to trying out this demo, thanks OP.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Was going to mention that the characters remind me a lot of the First Samurai and International Karate Advanced sprites, a bit nicer though, and they actually mention The Bitmap Brothers and Exploding Fist on their Kickstarter page, so there's definitely some C64/Amiga inspired art in there.

Looks pretty nice, hope they manage to get a boost in these last couple of days.

I didn't notice but now i see it, first samurai's character looks more detailed to me though
first_samurai.png

Hexer06

Man.. It really sux that this game doesn't look like it's gonna hit the goal. I'm gonna back it, but I hope it still releases someday even if they don't get the funds.

Coda

Man.. It really sux that this game doesn't look like it's gonna hit the goal. I'm gonna back it, but I hope it still releases someday even if they don't get the funds.

It's already gone up about a thousand from yesterday so I totally think it's possible. Please if you have other gaming circles or forums you frequent, let's spread the word so we can get it funded. Pretty sure they get nothing on Kickstarter if they don't reach their goal.

Hexer06

It's already gone up about a thousand from yesterday so I totally think it's possible. Please if you have other gaming circles or forums you frequent, let's spread the word so we can get it funded. Pretty sure they get nothing on Kickstarter if they don't reach their goal.

I made a post on Xbox reddit and hoping it helps. It looks like it could actually make its goal now! Let's go gaf!!

TI82

Banned
Posted to PS4 and games subreddit. I don't want to spam people so I won't post more but it's so close I really hope it happens.

If not this does look like a game adult swim would publish.

Hexer06

It made it! Very happy to have backed this, and I hope I helped get it there. Can't wait to play the full game. :D

Pejo

Just a reminder that the game is supposed to coming out this month.

Looks cool but man I hope they let you turn off the screenshake. It just makes the game looks like its having framerate problems and looks really bad that way.

Top Bottom