• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old browser games you used to play when the internet was young

I was looking up some old browser games I used to play when I was a kid way back in the mid to late 90s. My mom's computer was only for work so to me the only computer games were online browsers game, games on consoles were something totally different in my eyes.

Anywho onto the topic the ones the stick out the most in my mind are firstly one I used to play on a site called Bonus(dot)com called Battlefield.

ixAHw1P.png

I got super into this and was always on it for figuring out strats, entering tournaments and trying to rank the highest I possibly could in the game.

Another one I used to play a lot was on gamesdomain(dot)com call Cyber Wars. In fact my name comes from a clan called the Sabres that used to play this game a lot.

I absolutely adored these games as a kid but eventually moved onto bigger and more advanced thing but they still hold a special place in my heart.

So what about ya'll?

It wasn't a browser game, but it was back when AOL was the big guy in town. I remember scrolling through their games list of freeware/shareware/demos and near the end of the list was something called Winged Warrior. I ended up loving the crap out of it. Eventually they came out with Winged Warrior 2 and 3, but it's been almost a decade since the company's put out anything other that coloring book software. Makes me sad.

An embarrassing a lot of amount of Adventure Quest...

latest

Also, I don't remember it looking so bad, damn, I really didn't care about graphics as a kid.

Back before aol existed we had prodigy and there was a game where you tried to navigate a labyrinth to defeat the overlord or something. There were also sesame Street games. They weren't on the Web though you accessed them from the games portal on prodigy.

Race War Kingdoms, Shimlar, Strathome.

I put an embarrassing amount of time in those games in 2001-2003 especially RWK. Met people there that I still talk to though, so there's that.

Kingdom of Loathing too!

Edit: just had a "holy shit that was 15 years ago." moment. That's literally half my lifetime.

Did anyone else play/remember Super Mouse? Pretty blatent Mario clone in hindsight, but I played it before my first Mario game, so I didn't know.

I remember like half my class being super into it in 4th grade.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Utopia by Mehul Patel, an completely text-based online strategy game in the mid/late-90s where you played a province in a kingdom, where you had to cooperate with 24 other provinces to reach the top. It was a crazy deep game with internal politics, magic, various building, conquest, exploration, differenct races, thievery and more. I actually really loved it back in the game, and managed to reach the top lists in two of the ages early on.

AdventureQuest

RuneScape (which I still play today)

Thing Thing Arena on CrazyMonkeyGames

Not sure if it counts as a game, but also spent countless hours on Millsberry.com

There was a lego pirate game that was super tedious yet engrossing. Don't remember what it was called though. Just remember using Netscape :p

khaaan

Any Canadian's remember that old Halloween YTV flash game where you broke into this old guy's house to get something. It was a basic adventure game but there was a timer of sorts and every time it ran out the guy would appear and you were supposed to have concealed yourself. If you didn't conceal yourself in the right place he would find you and then...kill you? Or did he just throw you out?

Not a browser game but my first experience with the internet in any form was on The Sierra Network (TSN) in the early 90s, before I even new what a web browser was. I believe it was the first commercial online/multiplayer game network. Some of the most incredible gaming memories from back then.

bjork

I don't think I played any browser games until I was introduced to isketch

I used to be the king of isketch around here

I totally forgot about Runescape! That was another big one for me. When gamesdomain shut down I eventually found that and spent countless hours in the library playing it.

playXray

There was a game I spent hours on, in which you were basically presented with a giant, multi-faceted puzzle. There weren't any instructions or anything, but you had to figure out how to play the game as part of the puzzle. I think there was a little stick man figure involved but I could be wrong. It was set in what looked like a giant theme part (2D, side on) but with cogs/panels etc instead of rides. It was a popular browser game around 2004-05.

Does anyone else remember this? I think it had a one-word name.

This probably doesn't count since it was more of early to mid 2000s, but I have very fond memories of playing Slime Soccer and Slime Volleyball in computer lab back in middle school. I remember we used to do stupid little world cup tournaments in Slime Soccer all the time.

Stick figure shooting up places.
I think zombie Jesus appeared.
The title escapes me...

Madness?

Edit: I was just gonna post Slime Volleyball etc. We played that a ton back in high school. We had to come in for a day over the Easter holidays one year to do some work for our IT class, and after finishing the work in an hour or so, we spent the rest of the day organising a tournament.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Creeper was always fun. The second one sucked though. I really should have just bought the game instead of replaying the demo over and over...

vulva

I was looking up some old browser games I used to play when I was a kid way back in the mid to late 90s. My mom's computer was only for work so to me the only computer games were online browsers game, games on consoles were something totally different in my eyes.

Anywho onto the topic the ones the stick out the most in my mind are firstly one I used to play on a site called Bonus(dot)com called Battlefield.

I got super into this and was always on it for figuring out strats, entering tournaments and trying to rank the highest I possibly could in the game.

Another one I used to play a lot was on gamesdomain(dot)com call Cyber Wars. In fact my name comes from a clan called the Sabres that used to play this game a lot.

I absolutely adored these games as a kid but eventually moved onto bigger and more advanced thing but they still hold a special place in my heart.

So what about ya'll?

I was the number one ranked general on crazy maze for a long time. I loved that game.

Croash

AdventureQuest (I think it shows 2000+ days since last played when I log in)

RuneScape (thanks to MiniClip featuring)

And, ah, Newgrounds. How many hours I spent trying out hundreds of flash games, I can't possibly estimate.

So many generic names and established series: XiaoXiao, Madness interactive, Pico's School, Air Defence 3, Meat Boy, Toss the Turtle, The Torture Game 2, Sonny, Defend Your Castle, Epic Battle Fantasy, everything Tom Fulp ever made, etc.

Whatever was featured on a particular day, I played. My teenage years sure were weird.

Kalentan

Yeah, didn't they overhaul the game and switch to a new graphical style later?

Runescape was fun.

I think so... Jesus the resolution still doesn't go past 1000 x 750...

I may play it to see what I remember.

I do recall unlocking the Ninja class and that being badass.

Top Bottom