• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old browser games you used to play when the internet was young

MarkusRJR

I used to play a ton of old school Runescape, Habbo Hotel, Bloons, and a ton of shitty tower defense games (until Bloons Tower Defense came out they all were really bad and unbalanced tbh).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not while it was young, but I played Criminal Case on Facebook a lot when that game was new.

MrNelson

Banned
hqdefault.jpg

Lockdown was by far the best game to come from Toonami's total immersion events. It beat the pants off of The Intruder's and Trapped in Hyperspace's games. Every few years I track it down and play as far as it lets you (iirc the final boss is inaccessible now for some reason). Hell, I'll probably do it again when I get home tonight.

RuneScape of course. Still has the best quests of any game, MMO or not.

I remember playing a lot of Swords and Sandals, I just used a code that broke the game when you entered your name in funny ways. If you kept rerolling it would just get more broken.

EndMerit

Awesome to see AdventureQuest appreciation here!
I found the company behind it, Artix Entertainment, around 2008 or something, and between that and 2012 I dedicated most of my PC gaming time to their games, especially DragonFable. I still have lifetime membership on few of their games, and I was even lucky enough to visit their office once. Super cool guys.

Anyway, I don't recall using internet that much before 2005-ish, so that's pretty old in my book.

Cepheus

Neopets is one of the oldest games I remember playing. One summer I spent the entire summer holiday playing the games and made about 250k Neopoints. I still know my login details but unfortunately I can't actually log in. It wants me to verify my birthday but I must have put a fake one in when I signed up and I can't remember it because it was over a decade ago. Poor old wolfgang2233i will never get fed again...

mcz117chief

Runescape. I turn on old-school Runescape every now and again just to remember how incredibly shallow the game is and always wonder how I could have played it for days on end :D

It still is kind of fun.

And this

post-8-1082906350.jpg

Who else remembers this legend? :D

I was the number one ranked general on crazy maze for a long time. I loved that game.
Of course because crazy maze was a bullshit map and only the most dedicated of players wouldn't be driven mad by it.

Rocks and Swaps was more my speed.

Elija2

Any Canadian's remember that old Halloween YTV flash game where you broke into this old guy's house to get something. It was a basic adventure game but there was a timer of sorts and every time it ran out the guy would appear and you were supposed to have concealed yourself. If you didn't conceal yourself in the right place he would find you and then...kill you? Or did he just throw you out?

I vaguely remembered the game you're talking about. Surprisingly, it's still up on their website.

Portugeezer

Some weird top down dude in Australia, there was Kangaroos and boxing from what I remember.

Don't remember the name though.

Kansoku

Adventure Quest, Neopets, random Newground stuff, and the one I have the most nostalgia, Pokemon Crater. I actually met my best friend because if it.

bjork

Looking at screenshots in this thread reminded me of MOTAS, but I don't know that they ever finished it. The last time I played, I remember a hallway with an opening exposed to space or maybe night time? That was awhile ago.

I didn't have internet until the early 00's, but I remember a game called Pocket Tanks becoming a big fad at my middleschool, along with Sissy Fight.

An embarrassing a lot of amount of Adventure Quest...

latest

Also, I don't remember it looking so bad, damn, I really didn't care about graphics as a kid.

Even as a kid I thought it looked terrible. I stuck my nose up at the other kids (usually in lower grades) playing it.

marrec

Banned
Kingdom of Loathing is and will forever remain the GOAT browser game.

Played a bunch before that, but KoL is still something that I muse going back too every so often.

It so well replicated the MUD style that I was playing before it.

Baalzebup

Planetarion - man the hours I sunk into that. Think it's still going too. I played it 2002-2003 I think

These and Archmage were the earliest games that I remember. There was also a 3rd one that was kind of a mix of the systems in Planetarion and Archmage with a bunch of different races, as opposed to the system in Archmage where you picked your wizards color of magic much like in Magic The Gathering, which then determined your spells and troops and such.

Tagyhag

I wasted thousands of hours on Runescape.

Of course there's the plethora of flash games from Newgrounds but the one browser game that I keep being reminded of was one where you choose a pet and have it battle other people's pets in a browser turn-based format. You'd get a list of pets to fight every time and you'd choose between a higher level and bigger rewards or a weaker pet with smaller winnings. After they reached level 20 they turned from cute little animals into realistic looking adults. You won exp and money every time you won and used money to level up. People also didn't have to be online, their pets would just fight automatically

The website also had one game that was basically the same thing but with a cars so you raced instead.

To this day, it kills me that I don't know the name of the game or website.

pottuvoi

Banned
Never played browser games, but spent a while playing Diku Mud using telnet.
Text only internet on Amiga 500 and 2400 baud modem, fun times.

Ok so
I remember there was this MMO Car Game on Miniclip where you drove around and you collected parts and there was some platforming involved
Does anyone remember what I am talking about

Tall4Life

I played AdventureQuest, MechQuest, DragonFable, and AQWorlds A LOT when I was younger. Absolutely addicted to them. I think my battleon name was BlackFlameWarrior...what a fucking edgelord name lmao.

Besides that, I also played Trackmill and random stuff on Newgrounds.

I played AdventureQuest, MechQuest, DragonFable, and AQWorlds A LOT when I was younger. Absolutely addicted to them. I think my battleon name was BlackFlameWarrior...what a fucking edgelord name lmao.

Besides that, I also played Trackmill and random stuff on Newgrounds.
My handle on EpicDuel (another Artix game) and elsewhere around the Internet Cosmos is Zookfoodle, the name of an NPC from Dragonfable

Tregard

Soothsayer
This probably doesn't count since it was more of early to mid 2000s, but I have very fond memories of playing Slime Soccer and Slime Volleyball in computer lab back in middle school. I remember we used to do stupid little world cup tournaments in Slime Soccer all the time.

Slime sports were my jam

That and the little game rooms people would run in Habbo

And Kingdom of Loathing

I think one I used to play was called InkLink? Some drawing game where you'd play against other people.

Oh Inklink... It was basically a game of online Pictionary. My friend and I would mess with people by joining the same room while we talked on the phone. When one of us got our word, we'd draw something completely different while the other person guessed correctly. Everyone would get confused and we thought it was the funniest thing ever.

Top Bottom