• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old computer games you're pretty sure no one but you ever played.

Phediuk

It's time to go obscure, GAF. Really obscure. Console games aren't even obscure enough for this topic. I want games that are hard to even find screenshots for. I want games with no Wikipedia article. I want the deepest cuts from your computer gaming history that you can think of. The ones that fell through every crack, were ignored by absolutely everyone, that may very well have sold zero copies total. But you played them.

One that comes to mind for me is Alien Poker, a shareware DOS game I used to play a lot.

jGfyZVjQcY19R.png
jbcT1zAEfnvhJH.png
jbqO0ykuNz2hq2.png
jbtDtZfkXSPt6X.jpg

It's poker, but your opponents are aliens. That's it. But this game taught me the rules of poker; every time I see or hear poker mentioned I am instantly reminded of this game, a game that doesn't have a single video on Youtube, and only about a half-dozen screenshots in Google Image Search. I would spend whole weekends playing this dumb game.

Okay, now it's your turn, GAF. Show off the most obscure games from yesteryear that you played.

Toad.T

Banned
A shareware disc with a bunch of old clones of titles (i.e. ChampKong, Champ Frog, Bugs and Bombs, etc...)/miscellaneous stuff such as Teenagent.

If that's cheating, then Professor Iris's Fun Field Trip. (Was a relative's, had to play it while watching someone.)

I got a pretty old one.

Aethra Chronicles. It was an old school top down RPG that was supposed to have 4 episodes. Only the first one was ever released. The developer released it as freeware a long time ago and there is - amazingly enough, still a community of people that keep the game alive with unofficial patches and mods.

sn00zer

I will be incredibly amazed if someone can figure out these freeware games i played.....

One is a 3d snowboarding game where you snowboard on an infinite slope...not much else to it.

Another is a 3d arena shooter, but everyone is on hoverboards and you can do tricks while fighting.

Last is a infinite long hallway game where you play as some sort of futuristic hovercraft on a pond shooting other hovercraft things.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I used to play an old DOS game that I can't even remember the name of. All I vaguely recall of it is walking around some sort of hospital inside a body, I mostly remember being inside a stomach. I have no idea what the point of it was anymore.

blamite

SOMEONE HELP ME OUT WITH THIS ONE!

There was this one edutainment game we played in the computer lab in grade school where you play as a little anthropomorphic droplet of water and run around on platforms against the background of a brick wall, and I think you collected numbers or letters to solve math or grammar problems or something. I think there were enemies running around as well, and you could climb up and down ladders, and I think there was an ice cube pickup that froze all the enemies in place? And some kind of bonus game where you ran back and forth and drops of water would fall from the screen and you had to try to catch them.

Every time I remember this game I try to find out what it's called, but I've never had any luck. I know someone here has to know what I'm talking about, help me out!

Atomski

I remember playing a PC game in the 90s that seemed to be a straight rip off of Lemmings.

Cant remember the name.. had cavemen instead of lemmings.

Probably so obscure that I didn't find anything on the net. I remember riding around on a bike / skateboard and trying to get to the end of the road, but the damn game required a 'ticket' to let me advance so I never got past that part.

It came bundled with 3d glasses.

There was game that I played so much of when I was very young on my computer.

I think it was just called cat... or at least I used to type cat.exe to open it.

Bunch of mini-games like catching mice but the levels were seperated by outside windows with washing lines connecting them that your cat would run across.

The difficult settings were : TOM, ALLEY, GINGER and PERSIAN.

Cannot find it anywhere because if you google cat games... well it must be lost.

Jezan

A game with a hovercraft that had a bumper all around it, and you had to destroy other hovercrafts, I think there were some items or something, also portals, the stages were like mazes.

A puzzle game called UZ 3.0, and I can't find it anywhere :(

Both for PC

I wish I could remember its name, but there was a shareware sort of choose your own adventure game that involved among other things a tree that gets struck by lighting, an invisible pink horse (it was invisible because the game creator was a terrible artist), an underground city, and a chasm bridged by a ball of light.

Pretty sure it was an amateur who made it and as such I doubt I'll ever be able to find it again, but it would be nice if I could.

Musolf815

A Taco Bell rollerblading game, doesn't even come up when I search for it.

I would have said one of my childhood favorite games MNOG, but I've seen communities online that still talk about it.

Laieon

Jewel Chase. I remember the music being pretty good, but it was on loop so it got incredibly annoying after awhile. The gameplay was good though.

Every Disney movie "Activity Center" ever. There's nothing I want more to relieve some of the games of my childhood, but it's impossible, even on the youtube side of things. Apparently, 102 Dalmatians Activity Center isn't a hot topic in the let's play scene.

51TDQVZ7SEL._SX355_.jpg

Those f'ing henchmen, man.

I'll mention this because I'd love to play it again.

An old AOL cd that came in the mail with something called "The Quest!"
It was a variety of things including animation, games, and other nonsense. The intro used to be on youtube but I can't find it anymore.

Phediuk

I think it was just called cat... or at least I used to type cat.exe to open it.

Bunch of mini-games like catching mice but the levels were seperated by outside windows with washing lines connecting them that your cat would run across.

Cannot find it anywhere because if you google cat games... well it must be lost.

Alley Cat. Not very obscure.

Google

Are you me? I had this game also, on a floppy disc copied from some guy at my mums work. I remember not liking it much and my 286's terrible internal speaker doing a wonderful job with the toots and whistles of the soundtrack.

jester_

Bugdom.

level2.jpg

This was quite literally my SHIT in elementary school.

Who needs Oregon Trail? I dropped that after playing it a bit as a class. Bugdom was only installed on the Mac computers in the after-school activity trailer

Altazor

it was a shareware game that came in a CD. Don't remember the name, but it was a FPS (not REALLY a shooter, it was a kid's game... so it was more of an FPExploration, or something like that) and you could pick either a boy or a girl as your character, the main evil dude was a wizard (or something like that) and the stages were mazes with stone walls.

Maybe someone else here has played it.

Korten

Banned
I can't remember the name of the game and honestly I've given up, not sure it even exists even though I'm pretty sure it does but eh.

It was a horror-style platformer where your parents and siblings have vanished and you need to go save them... I think you picked which "level" on your bed...

Does anyone know? Please? D: I've been trying to find it for years...

Alley Cat. Not very obscure.

ARE YOU FU#$ING KIDDING ME...... !?!?!?!

It was obscure to me for the last 15 years......I just .... I..Thank you.

Are you me? I had this game also, on a floppy disc copied from some guy at my mums work. I remember not liking it much and my 286's terrible internal speaker doing a wonderful job with the toots and whistles of the soundtrack.

I too got it like that, floppy disk... hey nice avatar.... this is weird.

Ozigizo

The Exile series by Spiderweb. I believe it's been renamed/remade now.

Also, Escape Velocity comes to mind, too.

Bugdom.

level2.jpg

This was quite literally my SHIT in elementary school.

Who needs Oregon Trail? I dropped that after playing it a bit as a class. Bugdom was only installed on the Mac computers in the after-school activity trailer

Mine too, it was amazing when I found the level select cheat so I didn't have to start from the beginning each time. Can you buy this anywhere?

Maybe Pharaoh's Tomb?

Sorry dude, played and beaten.

Few more that came to mind.

One was a sort of edutainment game for Mac where you start out on a beach and then dive underwater, there are various minigames in it (e.g. shine light to identify creatures). EDIT: Wait..Mouse Practice? I really was a dumb kid then, it isn't even a proper game.

The other you start out at a carnival with various minigames and then get chucked onto an island where you have to solve puzzles to proceed. Similar to Island of Dr. Brain but pretty sure that isn't it. FAKE EDIT: Found it! The Secret Island of Doctor Quandary

The third was another edutainment game with a sort of fantasy theme and puzzles to get you into a castle. Vague as all get out I know: It had a cave and a castle, past that I remember squat.

I had an old game where all you did was look at an airport. It was interactive, so technically a "game", but you just went through an airport and saw the different parts. Airplane loading, baggage sorting, behind the counter, everything. All with ambient sounds.

To this day my mom continues to call it the dumbest thing she's ever seen

Jonsend

The Clue! Basically a burglary sim. You wou would recruit people, get equipment and plan your burglary. Then sit back and watch the plan execute. It was great.

qwV4CAe.png

cnULKCI.png

Top Bottom