• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old computer games you're pretty sure no one but you ever played.

Tetra-9

Close - "Logical Journey of the Zoombinis." I can never forget that game - came here to post it. I have no idea how widespread it was, but it was amazing (and super educational).

Zoombinis_Cover.jpg

I loved this fucking game! Of all the shitty education games that were randomly given to me this one was actually pretty fun.

GoaThief

Revenge of the Mutant Camels
Revenge_of_the_Mutant_Camels_2.png
Played this on the Amiga, thought it was relatively well known as a tripped out game.

One I played a lot with friends around that time was basically a tron lightcycle game, top down view with two players represented by a dot and a line for the trail. Pretty certain it was a coverdisk game with a couple of others on there and I can't remember the name of the former for the life of me.

Midwinter I played a fair bit as a kid too. Switching between that and Stunt Car Racer to impress the grandparents whilst staying there with the shiny shiny graphics. ;))

*edit

Found the bad boy, Megatron. Came with The One Amiga magazine issue 46;

amr_popup_picture.php

394b.png

Tom and the Ghost:

tom_ghost.gif

Played it on a monochrome monitor, had it completely memorized and even drew the whole frickin' map on paper. It has an interesting gameplay mechanic where you control a ghost who has to take this boy Tom to his mom. Tom is completely AI controled and has a mind of his own, frequently refusing to go any further, falling off a platform or doing some dangerous shit, so you have to lure him with a burger or a smoothie, alert him to come after you with a whistle and keep an eye on him at all times. Beat the game completely on my own, which was a tremendous feat for me as a kid. Tried to play it recently and I don't even know what the controls are.

Polanie/Slavs:

polanie.png

A Warcraft clone made by the people who would later make Earth 2150 and Two Worlds. Has the most satisfying lumber gathering mechanic where the harvested tree falls down sideways and kills whomever is under it.

X-Terminator:

63142.png

Sci-fi shooter platformer where you need to exterminate the alien bastards, blow up a generator or a shaft and go to the next level. The interesting thing is that you have three stances - standing, crouch and prone, just like modern FPSs. Also have a jetpack.

There's also a shitty platformer I found on a bundle of BASF diskettes that I remember as "Sound Race" but I've never been able to find anything about it. It was a very simple platformer, Dangerous Dave graphics quality, with a dude collecting diskettes, CDs and maybe musical notes. Might've had ladders as well. The most obscure game I've ever played I think since I've never found even a hint of it online.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
oh yeah. you re absolutely right.
i googled it correctly but wrote the wrong thing in here.

good morning. lol

did you know what that game was about?

You (Captain Stark, as I recall) had to recruit people to revolt against an energy company/government/something or other. As you recruited people you could use them and their unique skills and relationships to fight the baddies or recruit others.

You could get into all sorts of vehicles, snipe, sabotage their bases, use seduction etc. It was the nuts.

ranmafan

I could probably list a ton of the old C64 games I loved playing so long ago. Im sure they aren't all that obscure but Ive never met anyone that remembers them. For example, Project Space Station, which was a nice Space Shuttle and Space station simulator that I enjoyed playing a lot. Along with that was the game Apollo 18. Spent hours upon hours replaying that one. There was the Hacker series of games from Activision. Always difficult games for me. One day Ill go back and finally finish them.

Also two games from Windham Classics, Below the Root, which is still one of my all time favourite adventure games, and Alice in Wonderland. Both were tons of fun to explore. Especially below the root. Fantastic world and game.

Just thinking about them all makes me want to play them again now. Oh how I miss the C64 days!

Dakor

Neo Member

I played this one, it was once as a speical in a mickey mouse magazine! (There also is a sequal by the way)

Mine is Rock Manager. Really fun game but i dont think many people played it.

50746_full.jpg

I only had the demo version of this game, but i played it alot.. I just could'nt find the full version anywhere?!

Mine:
I played a lot of freeware games as a kid, and i wanted to pick one of those at first, but i decieded it's more fun to mention commercial games.. this why i choose:
Mystery Island / Montezumas Return
montezumasreturn-cover-eu.jpg

monty_fight.jpg

Kyonashi

Maybe a few other GAFers played it, but I doubt as much as me and my friends did: Rayman M (that's the European title, I think it had a different title in America)

The multiplayer racing and shooing games were the reason I went out to Argos and bought a multitap when I was about 9-10. Me, my brother, and the neighbours two kids would play it for hours in end, I swear we perfected the time trails of those foot-racing maps.

SR71 blackbird (TOMMIX) and SPAZMORG (from coco mag) (1984) for the RS COCO

My Color computer is dead but I actually still have the software, SR-71 on 5-1/4 and Spazmorg on cassette tape

Megaversy

Neo Member
This thread is a real trip down memory lane - I played quite a bit of the Putt-Putt and Fatty Bear and other educationally driven games (thanks dad). Here are a few of my childhood faves!

The Adventures of Willy Beamish
The_Adventures_of_Willy_Beamish_Coverart.png

Stickybear Math
1353238483-00.jpg

Nyoro SF

I remember a really old computer puzzle game where you were a thief picking up gems, it was a 2D block-by-block movement game. I remember there were lots of different colored gems along with a time limit and the later stages actually got really difficult.

I don't remember the name though.

Ready, GAF? I'm about to lay down those 90's/early 00's classics.
Putt-Putt & Fatty Bear Activity Pack
6_putt_putt_and_fatty_bears_activity_pack.jpg

Scummvm_1_8_18-full.png

Around the World in 80 Days
mqdefault.jpg

Around-the-World-in-80-Days.png

Scooter's Magic Castle
scooters-magic-castle_13.png

scooters-magic-castle.jpg

Freddi Fish and the Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds
screen568x568.jpeg

154288099_amazoncom-freddi-fish-and-the-case-of-the-missing-kelp-.jpg

Freddi Fish and Luther's Maze Madness
611260-freddi-fish-and-luther-s-maze-madness-windows-screenshot-a.png

1688210-maze_madness.jpg
Blast from the Past
Tried Scooter before... can't really remember that much about it
I played the All of Freddi Fish games

ALL OF THEM

Why?... I myself don't know

Oh and Flying Tiger. Awesome game!

fullsize
Man I forgot this existed
I was addicted to this, need to play it again

like Right now

fwpx

Cyberia 2.

721013-cyberia2sa9.jpg

Mostly a rail shooter with graphics that really wowed me as a youngster. Had no idea what the story was about since I never played the first Cyberia, nor did I really care. Had some pretty awful animation for the human characters though, and equally awful voice acting with lines that my brother and I still quote to this day. Also the on-foot sections were really bad, but the soundtrack had some nice tunes. I do wish it was on GOG.com though, would like to revisit it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_64hCc3fo7s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m5mDjdmuls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmeiVoOu1rg
I was going to post this. I played the crap out of this game. I know you remember the music from the first "breaking out" hallway. DAANAAADADADADADA

Sierra Sports Viper Racing
Screen17.JPG

Fucking Hornballs, man.

Bugdom.

level2.jpg

This was quite literally my SHIT in elementary school.

Who needs Oregon Trail? I dropped that after playing it a bit as a class. Bugdom was only installed on the Mac computers in the after-school activity trailer
Dude I played the Hell out of this at my school. That and

ottobox.jpg

Motherfucking OttoMatic.

And Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, but people have played that besides me

bengraven

When I was in junior high, early 90s, we had these little Apple IIe's in the computer lab and the librarian had stacks and stacks of this strange, maybe subscription based shareware games. Each disc had a "month's" worth of games on it, a newsletter with hints and comments on last months games, and some way of buying more games through the mail.

The games on there were obscure as fuck, but I would try out every single disc to try and find gold. Rarely ever did.

Though I do remember a game where you could land on any planet you choose and you spun around in circles and evil aliens would appear for you to shoot.

Willy_the_Worm.png

Willy the Worm (1985). I used to play this game a fair bit on a DOS computer. Also played another game a lot but I don't remember the name. I've been playing games for a long time lol

The online beta of the original NASCAR Racing by Papyrus, it was code-named "Hawaii"...and you had to play using dial-up. It worked surprisingly well for it's time and place. Also, NASCAR Racing Online on the TEN Network. It's where I first raced with Dale Jr online. :)

Lord Phol

I remember lots of the games in this thread, C-Dogd, Jetpac, Tsar, SHOGO, KKND (on playstation). I used to play alot of weird shareware games and demos in my youth, it's good to see them again.

For my contribution I give you Liero, I know it's not all that obscure compared to other games but it was such an important part of my youth. I recently purchased and played Broforce which reminded me of this game.
liero.gif

http://www.liero.be/

Ishan

Figured someone would have posted this already but seemingly not.

Screenshot_of_Where_in_the_World_is_Carmen_Sandiego_%281985%29.png

Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego

Omg I totally forgot about this game!

I could never figure it out so I just walked around in premade castles xD

Which reminds me of a medieval fantasy adventure game I used to play (probably edutainment). I specifically remember a puzzle with different colored crystals... wish I could remember the name.

The Jester on the Commodore 64. It was a text adventure with images and i loved it but cant find any info on it these days. It was pretty popular I thought, back in the day. Anyone remember it?

Lord Phol

One game on Amiga I'm pretty sure no one else played was "Maskarna åker till Hawaii" (The worms travels to Hawaii). It was basically a 1-4 player snake where you constantly grew in length and had to do everything to not crash into the wall or another worm. It also had the Beverly Hills Cop song Axel Foley playing in the background.

Robocop 3D. It was basically no where on the internet until I wrote a wiki page for it on giant bomb.

2005994-znNSE.png

It always was weird to me that a licenced game like that would get so little attention. I need other people to share my trauma as a kid of trying forever to beat that damn ninja in fist to fist combat with tank controls and the worst camera angle ever, and never winning.

Someday I'll probably be able to return to that game and finish what i started decades ago, but even now the trauma hasn't faded enough yet.

I never figured out what i had to do driving around in the city/streets, watched a playthrough not too long ago of it to see how it endet etc.

I remember playing Saint Dragon Wiki on C64, it was a boxart-buy that looked somewhat like this
Saint%20Dragon_Front.jpg

And also the Amiga game of the Fright Night movie

frightnight-02.png

Probably not the only one who have played them but i've never ever heard anyone talk about them and why should you lol... it's old and not a classic game

mrk

Neo Member
A game with a hovercraft that had a bumper all around it, and you had to destroy other hovercrafts, I think there were some items or something, also portals, the stages were like mazes.

Sounds like Hover. I don't remember destroying the other hovercrafts though, only getting them stuck.

Co9wBiw.jpg

Braag

I didn't play as many PC games when I was a kid but mostly NES and SNES games.
I did play plenty of "popular" PC games like Doom, Commander Keen etc..

One game which I used to spend a lot of time playing with my friends was Skyroads where you had to follow the road, often jumping from one road to another and avoid obstacles.

vfL.gif

sfL.jpg

Top Bottom