• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Old human cells rejuvenated in breakthrough discovery on ageing

Discourse

A groundbreaking discovery in cellular biology could help humans age without as much deterioration in their bodies. A research team experimenting on a class of genes called "splicing factors" was able to take older human cells and physically rejuvenate them, turning back the clock to make them appear and behave young again.

"When I saw some of the cells in the culture dish rejuvenating I couldn't believe it. These old cells were looking like young cells. It was like magic," Eva Latorre, the research associate at the University of Exeter who conducted the experiments, told Medical Xpress. "I repeated the experiments several times and in each case the cells rejuvenated. I am very excited by the implications and potential for this research."

http://www.newsweek.com/ageing-youth-young-cells-reverse-ageing-705526 (check out the links above instead)

bevishead

Neo Member
This will be bought by the rich first. I'm ok with more hot 70 year olds. Can we call the people treated with this splicers?

Not to be a downer, but that's such a poorly written article by Newsweek and that study is published in a mid to low level journal. Newsweek didn't even get the names right. It's resveratrol, not reversatrol. Resveratrol is found in grapes and red wine and hasn't been proven to do anything in humans.

Ubername

Banned
Not to be a downer, but that's such a poorly written article by Newsweek and that study is published in a mid to low level journal. Newsweek didn't even get the names right. It's resveratrol, not reversatrol. Resveratrol is found in grapes and red wine and hasn't been proven to do anything in humans.

Unfortunately I think this is the new standard for internet news. I read an article on the Seattle PI the other day that ended with "Bruh."

Paracelsus

Does this theoretically eliminates the "replacing older cells with newer ones eventually leads to cancer" risk? Also I hope they're focusing more on bone cells than something trivial as superficial aging. Imagine breaking your femur and being back on your feet in a month.

nkarafo

I'm sure most people in this forum will be too old (or dead) when this thing becomes an option for everyone. We just barely missed it. It kinda sucks.

Razorback

This is very dangerous tech IMO.
A world with Mugabe's or Kim's living for 1000 years? Not good.

I've heard that argument many times and it makes no goddamn sense.

It's dangerous to save everyone from dying, because dictators might rule for longer?
You mean dictators like Kim Jong il, who died in 2011? How did that work out?

Of course, condemning every single person alive or yet to be born to decades of slow deterioration of the body and mind followed by death isn't dangerous at all.

n0razi

Even if your body is young, your brain will still age.... every past age 150 will get Dementia/Alzheimers

Astral Dog

idk, getting old ugly and dying is such a part of the Human experience, for many it would just be delaying the inevitable.

Here's the problem with this.

Our mind is still going to age right? So there will be a lot young looking mother fuckers with dementia

Vlodril

Here's the problem with this.

Our mind is still going to age right? So there will be a lot young looking mother fuckers with dementia

we will then work on curing dementia. and so on and so forth. what a weird reaction to only good news from people. i mean purists can not take it if they want to i guess but sign me up :) (in the hypothetical that this actually becomes a reality).

McLovin

We’ll probably end up with super cancer but put me down for human trials. I’m 35 and work manual labor, my body feels like shit.

longdi

Banned
Resveratrol is a compound found in peanuts, grapes, red wine, dark chocolate, and some berries.

Why only the rich?
Seems easy, eat more of the above tasty treats.
Stop with the sugar.
Rich my ass.

From the comments:

It's not "reversatrol," morons. It's RESVERATROL, and this story is years and years old. Resveratrol never panned out, despite the hype.

Pathetic researching, writing, and editing.

Welp

Astral Dog

Is it? Or do we make it so because we weren't able to change it.
Its probably it. An inevitability ,Though a few lucky ones can get this magick stuff to live a few years younger, and i wish them happines.
But probably won't happen with this Resveratrol ;)

Jag

From the comments:

Welp

Yeah, it's kind of a bust on the resveratrol. It's been around for years. Dr. Sinclair and Harvard tried to capitalize on it awhile back. It's not a terrible antioxidant, but it's not going to add years to your life.

Top Bottom