• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Old Interview] In 2012, EviLore turned down $5,000,000 to keep control of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ad revenue

It would have to be the POTENTIAL for ad revenue, ie Twitter and Reddit have both never made a profit, but they are worth a ton because everyone figures if the audience is large enough, in the future you can do SOMETHING to make it pay off.

But with Reddit that's even considering they both run ads AND charge for "Gold" accounts, AND don't have to pay for any of their content. Even then, they run in the red every month. Because banner ads don't pay jack shit.

Volcane

1m.gif

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
$5 mil = $50,000 per year at garbage interest rates... You could get $100,000 post tax without risk or $200,000+/- with principle risk

$1 mil isn't enough to live off, but $5 mil sure is

Nokterian

Gaf has been my home for 2 years now? Can't remember but i got introduced to gaf in 2010..seeing Evilore his legendary Dragon Age 2 thread and E3 Konami thread. That day changed it for me and well being a member feels special to be honest. And i visit gaf 24 hours a day at least...GAF is live learn to embrace it.

Offered double since

shaq.gif

Thanks for being awesome!

Go_Ly_Dow

Why is he an idiot? If managing GAF makes him happy then why sell up?

Seems extremely smart as he has a job that he enjoys. Something most will always want but never have.

Dennis

Banned
There're people willing to buy GAF for such a huge amount? Why?

Is it for the GIFs? >_>

NeoGAF is very influential.

For example, I saved PC gaming a few years ago with my many screenshots here on NeoGAF, clearly showing the world what the maligned platform was capable of.

Salsa

the dude already lives a hell of a life off neogaf, it doesnt surprise me THAT much that he wouldnt sell. You guys acting as if this was a charity or something, c'mon brehs

evilore's cool tho, site is definetly better off this way

liquidtmd

Banned
I can't get an image of Evilore on the phone now getting offered double, squinting his eyes and saying in a Cartman voice "whaaaaa 10million ahh plz, you're bustin' ma balls man"

sphinx

the piano man
if Neogaf is ever sold to any big business (Microsoft, google, IGN, etc.) then I don't think it will ever be replaced, it took GAF about a decade to grow in size, credibility and relevance and for a new platform to be the successor it would take a massive effort from all parties involved.

I wouldn't want to be Evilore the day he announces his retirment and a buy out. Many people will have a hard time getting over this forum.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Offered double since

Double digit millions must be hard to turn down, woah.

I'm curious though Evil, is there an amount where you would actually sell? Note that I'm not looking for the actual amount, just a yes or no answer. I'm betting you wouldn't sell for any price from what I know of you.

Double digit millions must be hard to turn down, woah.

I'm curious though Evil, is there an amount where you would actually sell? Note that I'm not looking for the actual amount, just a yes or no answer. I'm betting you wouldn't sell for any price from what I know of you.

Everyone has a price.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Offered double since

Buy it and split it between members? Kudos for resisting the temptation! You should let them know what it is you want. Immortal life, serum for a permanent hard-on, a real-life Iron-Man suit, etc. :D

I'm so intrigued who these entities that are bidding! I gather some of them are media companies with huge videogame entities.

Loakum

Banned
I cannot even imagine turning down 10 million dollars.....hell, I cannot even imagine being offered 10 million dollars! LOL! Much respect on standing on principle!

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Sell and let a patsy (GoodWood) create NeoJAF where we can all migrate afterwards.

I'd bet whomever buys the forum or proposes to buy it, there's a non-compete clause that states Malka can't do something close to it, or something.

'lore, if there's none of that, do what Corto says and earn $$$$$! Haha!

liquidtmd

Banned
Holy shit! IGN, GS & Co. literally stealing news was hilarious.

See it is for the GIFs! (or webm...)

That webm. just needs an end bit where he walks away but before he gets to the GAF van the same person who turned him away offers to buy GAF for 20million

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom