• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

old news? Tomb Raider Underground is 576p on ___ and 720p on ___

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Despite the low resolution, the 360 version looks very clean and smooth. It certainly doesn't have the blocky, low resolution appearance of something like Haze, for instance.

I'm really surprised at how different the various ports of this game turned out. They all seem solid, but they each have their own quirks. The object motion blur in the 360 version is really slick and it is disappointing that it did not appear in the other versions.

dark10x said:
Despite the low resolution, the 360 version looks very clean and smooth. It certainly doesn't have the blocky, low resolution appearance of something like Haze, for instance.

I'm really surprised at how different the various ports of this game turned out. They all seem solid, but they each have their own quirks. The object motion blur in the 360 version is really slick and it is disappointing that it did not appear in the other versions.
This. /end thread

RavenFox

Banned
dark10x said:

My god did you even read the thread dark? recheck the comment on PS3 not having motion blur. Did you totally ignore the cleaner look of 720p?

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
commariodore64 said:

These are some wonderful threads and all of them are very important for this one! Did you already checked my Xbox Live Account? You really should!

zaidr

RavenFox said:
My god did you even read the thread dark? recheck the comment on PS3 not having motion blur. Did you totally ignore the cleaner look of 720p?
*adjusts collar*
john-mccain.jpg

kamorra said:
These are some wonderful threads and all of them are very important for this one! Did you already checked my Xbox Live Account? You really should!

So - wait! CONTEXT IS IMPORTANT!? Did you change the rules without telling?!?!

AndyD

aka andydumi
RavenFox said:

Seems that way.

Stop quoting comario, for those of us ignoring his posts, it defeats the purpose...

Coverly

RavenFox said:
dude STFU already sheesh

My god lol. You and your bud still concerned? Okay what does his post prove? The PS3 cannot do shadows? The basement has to be locked if this tickles your fancy so much.
Why don't you put me on your ignore list and then you can troll in peace.

You know i saw your stfu comment to him right after i posted, lol. Calm down man, nothing personal. It wasn't what his post proved or not. My point was simply pointing out that your wording made you look stupid because all of the links were not of prince of persia. It wasn't even two links to the same game, it was four links, four different games. A simple, "oh, i just meant the first link" would have been enough really. But you were either proudly ignorant and didn't care about the other links or were just trying to cover your tracks by saying that you 'only' needed to see the first link to invalidate the rest. Either way, saying go mind your own business or go away doesn't do much either.

I don't think i have anyone on the ignore list, again, don't take it personally.

Esch

Banned
this thread has some of the dumbest posts i've seen in a while, jesus

i thought nobody gave a damn about TRU. I was fucking WRONG, apparently

Durante said:
Indeed, it's not really important...

os4pzn.jpg

For the record - over 50% of those where to respond to personal attack from people 'ignoring me'- forgive my weakness - I shall move on to greener pastures... you saints continue your unbiased discussion on 'which version is better'

Mahadev

commariodore64 said:
I've made a name for myself with Sony defense? I'm on an ignore list?
Only one way to address that...

wow.

note the lowercase - I think I did it right

EDIT: Resume ignoring...

Holy crap aren't there any mods in this forum? How can a 12 year old shit up an entire thread?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
EschatonDX said:

No you were right but this thread isn't about the game anymore, it is about console warriors. The game was merely a catalyst to all this.

This thread has changed......its no longer about resolution, AA, or lighting........etc

AndyD

aka andydumi
Mahadev said:
Holy crap aren't there any mods in this forum? How can a 12 year old shit up an entire thread?

Sometimes I wish GAF implemented some of the vbulletin options I have seen elsewhere like post and author ranking up/down and self notes. And also a reporting button.

Esch

Banned
NinjaFridge said:
No you were right but this thread isn't about the game anymore, it is about console warriors. The game was merely a catalyst to all this.

This thread has changed......its no longer about resolution, AA, or lighting........etc

Heh. Is that a subtle MGS4 poke or am I deceived?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Durante said:
Indeed, it's not really important...

os4pzn.jpg
I HATE COMPARISON THREADS *posts 15 times* Like 4% of posters in this thread posted in the TRU thread. There were more posters in the "exclusive demo/dlc" thread bragging and bitching. suck a teet, teet suckers.

Threi

notag
AndyD said:
Sometimes I wish GAF implemented some of the vbulletin options I have seen elsewhere like post and author ranking up/down and self notes. And also a reporting button.
why do you need a button? just PM a mod.

Mahadev

commariodore64 said:
Read the spiral then decide who is 12 (ANother SOny Avatar.... hrmmmm)

My post isn't about you, it's about how the mods let a kid ruin a thread. I won't fall into the same trap others did and start a silly insults marathon with you.

Mahadev said:
My post isn't about you, it's about how the mods let a kid ruin a thread. I won't fall into the same trap others did and start a silly insults marathon with you.

Good for you - seriously. I was minding my own Gaffin' business when I was personally challenged - I did not handle it well. Took the low road - the end.

Threi

notag
Mahadev said:
Which single kid ruined the thread? from my standing it had a pretty consistent "joke thread" theme.

bigswords

EschatonDX said:

When it comes to a shitty console war, every multiplat game gets thrown in, just for shits and giggles.

Synless

Why would anyone ask to get themselves removed? That just seems ridiculous.......You could just leave the thread, or stop arguing with people who are never going to agree with you no matter what you say.

Synless said:
Why would anyone ask to get themselves removed? That just seems ridiculous.......You could just leave the thread, or stop arguing with people who are never going to agree with you no matter what you say.
I actually never argued a real point - I just pissed around the fire, threw some logs on - and then was told I was a bitch - this of course required a bit of level-headed retaliation from me on a personal level... it was never about the game ;)

Goodday

Mahadev

Threi said:
Which single kid ruined the thread? from my standing it had a pretty consistent "joke thread" theme.

I can't believe that you're actually trying to defend him. Go read the thread from page 4 to see which is the kid I'm talking about.

Threi

notag
Mahadev said:
I can't believe that you're actually trying to defend him. Go read the thread from page 4 to see which is the kid I'm talking about.
MvmntInGrn said:
wow this is a bit sad

It is IMPOSSIBLE for them to be equal across platforms, the fact they are so close should be enough for you.

Sometimes it leans one way, sometimes it leans another. Get over it, who cares, rarely does it even effect gameplay anymore.

:lol What are you 12?
ah, gotcha.

RSTEIN said:
Which version has the best tits & ass? Whichever version allows me to beat my meat in the least amount of time required wins.
What are you doing man this thread is completely serious. No jokes.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Which version has the best tits & ass? Whichever version allows me to beat my meat in the least amount of time required wins.

Tutomos

Not only is Microsoft trying to reduce the price of their game console lower than the wii, now they are trying to downgrade the resoulution of their games lower than the wii as well.

Synless said:

Tutomos said:
Not only is Microsoft trying to reduce the price of their game console lower than the wii, now they are trying to downgrade the resoulution of their games lower than the wii as well.

Er, you do know that PS3 has games at such resoulutions?

Tutomos said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

neight

Banned
Synless said:
Uh, him PM'ing a mod to remove himself I think was just his stupid humor.

And yes that insult was designed to get you back in the game commariodore64.

Mohonky

Gbeav said:
Both versions weren't that good looking, the Ps3 had the advantage of no pop in.

GTA IV on PS3 had Pop In, not sure what world you're living on if you think it didn't.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Mohonky said:
GTA IV on PS3 had Pop In, not sure what world you're living on if you think it didn't.

I think he means that ground texture slow load "pop in" under your feet/wheels when driving. Both had distance popin...

benjipwns

Banned
WinFonda said:
Da fuck?

The PS3 version was handled by a relatively unknown dev.... you mean to tell me they did a better job than Crystal Dynamics at their own damn game?

Not enough lulz in the entire world. Tell this Nixxes to get cracking on their next PS3 project. They got skills.

And patch Underworld for trophies, yo.
http://www.tombraiderwiki.com/index.php/Nixxes
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver for Dreamcast
Blood Omen 2 (demo) for Xbox
Blood Omen 2 for PC, Xbox and Nintendo GameCube
Mad Rash Racing
Soul Reaver 2 for Dreamcast (cancelled) and PC
Project: Snowblind for Xbox and PC
Tomb Raider Legend for PC, Xbox and Nintendo GameCube
Tomb Raider Anniversary for PC - Games for Windows
Tomb Raider Underworld for PC - Games for Windows, PlayStation 3
History of making "up-ports." (DC from PS1, Xbox/GCN/PC from PS2)

Not to say PS3>360. Just that they have a history of doing good ports that often improve quality.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
commariodore64 said:
Not to go off topic, but the shadows are present in both cases complete with self-shadowing. All that's seen on those shots is a minor difference with shadow-bias(which is one of the hacks all games use to reduce shadow bleeding and other associated shadowmap artifacts). Obviously different platform teams had different criterias for how much artifacting is ok under different scenarios.
It's not a coincidence that the differences are noticeable only on screens where shadows are very low-res and artifacted to hell to begin with (ie. cases where shadow resolution/precision is already stretched beyond its limits on both platforms).

Top Bottom