• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Older games that were considered good but you can't stand to play them again.

Knightime_X

So earlier today I was playing Revenge of Shinobi (Sega Genesis) for the first time in like 20 years.
I remember loving this game. Not a bad title at all.

God, I couldn't of been happier to have finished that piece of shit.

So much cheap everything.
The only thing I enjoyed the most was fighting bosses. Level layout and enemy placement has to be some of the WORST decisions i've ever seen.
I don't know how I tolerated such nonsense when I was a teenager but good god this aged like fine wine made out of milk.

Has an otherwise "good/great/liked" game recently left a bad taste in your mouth upon a revisit?

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I kinda like Revenge of Shinobi. I still play it from time to time. I don't enjoy it like I did 30 years ago, but it's good for a trip down memory lane and it was one of the better titles in that first crop of stiff games from Sega. The enemy placement is intentionally frustrating but after a couple of playthroughs you memorize the pattern and then it's just a walk in the park. So many games from back then were equally predictable and once you beat them on the highest difficulty there was no reason to ever go back to them. But they were the best we had at the time.

TaroYamada

I'm worried this is happening for me with Vanquish. Back then I thought it the best third person shooter ever made. Recently I tried to replay it and it wasn't clicking. However, I also felt this way about Bayonetta and after sticking with it a bit longer it clicked into place and I began to enjoy it and be impressed with it again.

After I beat Bayonetta I'll go back and see if I can handle Vanquish. But I'll be honest, as I get older I struggle more and more with fast paced games. They kind of stress me out. I tried Doom Eternal and it was way too intense for me -- I probably would have thought it was the best thing ever if I was 17. I loved Rise of the Triad 2013 when it came out. I wonder if I still would.

When it comes to old classics, I almost always feel that developers would be better suited creating new games vs reviving old IP's.

There are rare exceptions however, that I feel should revived. If a full fledged Shinobi or Ninja Gaiden game were to release tomorrow... I'd immediately go buy the game, along with whatever platform it released on.

Shinobi doesn't hold up as well as NG in my opinion, but both were great in their day. The setting alone in those types of games allows for a certain level of greatness to be achieved that can't be reached with most settings. GoT gave vibes, but fell really short. Sekiro could've captured it, but the story wasn't there.

Rubik8

Most games. Honestly, outside of the 8 and 16 bit Castlevania and Contra games, I’m hard pressed to enjoy anything that wasn’t developed by Nintendo. I must have been very easily entertained back then.

cireza

So earlier today I was playing Revenge of Shinobi (Sega Genesis) for the first time in like 20 years.

The only thing I enjoyed the most was fighting bosses. Level layout and enemy placement has to be some of the WORST decisions i've ever seen.
I don't know how I tolerated such nonsense when I was a teenager but good god this aged like fine wine made out of milk.

Has an otherwise "good/great/liked" game recently left a bad taste in your mouth upon a revisit?
Never liked the game, even back in the days. There are many games that have aged much better.

Andodalf

Banned
Kingdom Hearts 1, it holds up ok but it's really dated compared to the rest of the series now

Super bummed they didn't update in in the remasters. The movement and camera controls are just kinda gross now. It was an early 3d action game, and the genera has come a loooong way.

nkarafo

Just about everything released before the 16-bit generation. There are a few games i still play from that era, mostly for nostalgia trips. But i can't stand the primitive 2D graphics, ugly colors and flickering.

Belmonte

Most games I liked as a child, I continue to like. Specially 8-16 bits platformers.

It is not nostalgia, I like the school of thought these games have. What people call "cheap" I call enemy pattern recognition, level memorization and optimizing your movements.

Most modern action games I like have a similar approach in game design. Dark Souls for exemple. All odds are against the player, you are supposed to die and learn from it.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
GoldenEye007box.jpg

Mario Kart on the SNES. Loved it as a kid, went back to it a couple of years ago and... nope. Tracks are super short, the game feels "slippery" as hell, rubberband AI is whack, musical track loops are very short... etc.

It's a good concept that eventually led to the glorious, amazing game that is Mario Kart 8... but man, it's rough to go back to. (In fact I just play the SNES tracks on Mario Kart 8, instead of playing SNES Mario Kart).

brian0057

Banned
Morrowind - waiting for Skywind and will play day 1 when it is released but I just can't do Morrowind anymore.
You think Morrowind is rough these days?
Try playing Daggerfall.
The game may be a masterpiece but fuck me if it isn't a damn nightmare to play.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
You think Morrowind is rough these days?
Try playing Daggerfall.
The game may be a masterpiece but fuck me is it a damn nightmare to play.
TBH I am hooked on quest markers and without them I cannot play that kind of game. I wouldn't even attempt Daggerfall lol.

Last edited:

Hugare

Planescape: Torment

Tried playing it on my Switch because everyone talked about how this game is a masterpiece.

And the writting may be awesome, but good lord its gameplay is a chore

Feels reaally bad, especially after having played Divinity 2

ssringo

Kinda difficult to think of any that aren't a result of my changing taste in games. Random battles drive me up the wall nowadays so all the old Final Fantasy games are off the table even though I love everything else about them.

Diablo 2

I've been thinking about it since the remake announcement; Diablo 2 was great, probably one of the games I've spent the most time playing. But all the gameplay mechanics are super antiquated by today's standards, it has aged atrociously, and it's not a matter of shiny graphics (or lack thereof). I don't think I'd be able to enjoy the original anymore, nor the remake. :(

Reindeer

Every 3D game from PS1 and PS2 era and most 3D games from PS3 era. I feel like PS5 era will be the first 3D generation that will preserve really well from visual and gameplay perspective. Older games just don't look or play as good as we remember.

Last edited by a moderator:

HE1NZ

Banned
Old Tomb Raider games are a pain. I thought of marathoning the series but my patience ended in the middle of TR2 (and I have a lot of patience).

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Goldeneye, Tomb Raider PS1, Battlefront PS2, Knight of the old republic, mass effect 1, tenchu...

There's too many to list. Nostalgia is a helluva drug.
Heresy! TR1’s game design is still excellent. The game’s pace goes perfectly along with the controls, and almost instant saving/loading on modern PCs makes the trial-and-error parts tolerable.

TR2, now that’s one more fit for this thread.

I’ll mention Star Tropics. Didn’t play it as a kid, but most people seem to remember it fondly. The dungeons in that game are pure bullshit. I got to the UFO and noped out. Even speedrunners do that part with fingers crossed.

Secret of Mana doesn’t hold up too well, too. The story isn’t as grandiose as you may remember, and the gameplay is full of bugs and quirks.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Old Tomb Raider games are a pain. I thought of marathoning the series but my patience ended in the middle of TR2 (and I have a lot of patience).
TR2 is absolute bullshit. There’s a reason they went with unlimited saves even on console. Too bad loading times were atrocious. I replayed it quite recently on PC, and while quick reloading is a godsend, the game is still heavily based on trial and error and very nimble bullet-sponge enemies that never miss the target.

Sleepwalker

The Tales of franchise games from the GC-PS2/3-360 eras. I loved them but I can't bring myself to replay any of those lol. or most JRPGs i've loved to be fair

HE1NZ

Banned
TR2 is absolute bullshit. There’s a reason they went with unlimited saves even on console. Too bad loading times were atrocious. I replayed it quite recently on PC, and while quick reloading is a godsend, the game is still heavily based on trial and error and very nimble bullet-sponge enemies that never miss the target.
Yeah, and during those Venice levels they try to fit real world city into Tomb Raider confusing level design. It's soo hard to figure out where to go. I was bored to tears and skipped straight to Legend.

kiphalfton

Kingdom Hearts 1, it holds up ok but it's really dated compared to the rest of the series now
Agreed. Was going to replay all the games, but only got part of the way through the first game when I realized what a slog it is. Screw Atlantis. Screw Wonderland. Screw Hundred Acre Woods. Screw most of the crappy designed worlds.

Pachi72

Revenge of Shinobi is a masterpiece..I love it

SJRB

Gold Member
I'm kind of a snob in that regard, I can't deal with basically any earlier-gen games.

For example, I've played HUNDREDS of hours of San Andreas back in the day, but I cannot fathom going back to that game ever again in my life.

This one is crazy for me, because I played so much and thought it was revolutionary back in 2000, but its Shenmue. Once you've played newer "open-world" games it's really hard to go back to that game. Fortunately I recently started playing through all the Yakuza games and I've found that they are like the much, much better spiritual successor to Shenmue

Top Bottom