• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Omaha |OT| We Swear We're More Than the College World Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

tubthumpin

Neo Member
Not as bad as those rusty spears and jagged metal on top of that bridge in Council Bluffs. What were they thinking?

Hey man you seem to know Omaha pretty well. I just moved here from Chicago where the strip clubs are AMAZING! .. Not sure if you're into that scene, but if you could recommend a good one I'd appreciate it!

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Hey man you seem to know Omaha pretty well. I just moved here from Chicago where the strip clubs are AMAZING! .. Not sure if you're into that scene, but if you could recommend a good one I'd appreciate it!

LOL. You must be new! I am a Mormon man, my friends would probably recommend the Playhouse off of highway 370 crossing the bridge into Iowa, though. They seem to have a good time when they go after work

Playhouse is the only one I've been to, and it isn't bad. It's BYOB and the girls have always been pretty good looking. I've only been like 2-3 times in about as many years though.

I did hear about one that is closer to Eppley though, Spearmint Rhino I think. No idea how that is though.

Playhouse is the only one I've been to, and it isn't bad. It's BYOB and the girls have always been pretty good looking. I've only been like 2-3 times in about as many years though.

I did hear about one that is closer to Eppley though, Spearmint Rhino I think. No idea how that is though.

Isn't that one technically in Iowa based on the borders around the airport? I know that Oregon's strip clubs are crazier than the ones in Washington, wonder if it's the same way with Nebraska and Iowa.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Isn't that one technically in Iowa based on the borders around the airport? I know that Oregon's strip clubs are crazier than the ones in Washington, wonder if it's the same way with Nebraska and Iowa.

I could see that being true. Nebraska is infinitely more conservative and reserved about that sort of thing. No offense to Western Iowa, but if Council Bluffs is a fair representation, then that part of the state is full of white trash douchebags...no offense to people unfortunate enough to live in a forsaken place like Carter Lake or Council Bluffs.

I think it technically is, yeah. The one I've been to in Nebraska was much less fun than either of the Iowa ones have been to, so I'm sure you're right.

I could see that being true. Nebraska is infinitely more conservative and reserved about that sort of thing. No offense to Western Iowa, but if Council Bluffs is a fair representation, then that part of the state is full of white trash douchebags...no offense to people unfortunate enough to live in a forsaken place like Carter Lake or Council Bluffs.

Word.

The Playhouse. The other ones suck.

It's a two hour drive, but the Lumberyard in Des Moines is the best I've been to.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I live in Omaha. I don't think our town is that exciting. But its better than whatever is west of us.

The night life is pretty dull. Same thing every week. Downtown has their cliche art places. But really, its just old buildings and bars. Our entire city is segregated beyond belief. Rich people/middle class live out West. The rest is basically lower to middle class. Its a big city for the most part. But don't expect to be entertained. I'd say NYC, Chicago, or LA would be a lot more fun for site seeing. This town has real good colleges. I've been to the private and state schools.

I don't even bother with the CWS. I prefer going out to eat and shopping.

I worked for Omaha Steaks for a while. They are over priced and you don't get a lot for your money. Sure I got 50% off as an employee. But you can go to local butchers or a local grocery store and buy bigger and better selections.

FyreWulff

I was just in Vancouver for almost a year and they die as hard as Omaha does at night, unless you're down in the middle of downtown. Seattle's downtown dies pretty hard at night too. Even their grocery stores close earlier, so many times I wish I had access to a 24 hour Hy Vee or Bakers while I was up there because Save On or Bizzarro No Frills was closed.

It really does seem the only cities that are up at night are Vegas and NYC.

I would really like to see the segregation problem solved someday, but everyone seems to want to not do much about it and just wring their hands and maintain the status quo for another year.

I was just in Vancouver for almost a year and they die as hard as Omaha does at night, unless you're down in the middle of downtown. Seattle's downtown dies pretty hard at night too. Even their grocery stores close earlier, so many times I wish I had access to a 24 hour Hy Vee or Bakers while I was up there because Save On or Bizzarro No Frills was closed.

It really does seem the only cities that are up at night are Vegas and NYC.

I would really like to see the segregation problem solved someday, but everyone seems to want to not do much about it and just wring their hands and maintain the status quo for another year.

Downtown Seattle is an absolutely terrible indication of nightlife. Capitol Hill, Fremont, Ballard, and University District are much better.

All about the neighborhoods.

I was born and raised in boring ass central Nebraska, so Omaha is just about the right size and excitement level for me. I've managed to see my favorite band twice at Slowdown. I enjoy a few of the more laid back bars (Liv, the cigar bar dt). I can get to my job, school and grocery store on foot. I like my life kinda quiet and reserved

I've visited L.A., Denver, K.C., they just aren't for me. The really huge cities make me anxious, not sure why

FyreWulff

Downtown Seattle is an absolutely terrible indication of nightlife. Capitol Hill, Fremont, Ballard, and University District are much better.

All about the neighborhoods.

As a whole, they're still pretty much dead. You can find live pockets in any city in the middle of the night, but they're islands in a vast ocean of sleepin'

It's just you get the idea that Omaha is a big city in a small town skin, then you go elsewhere and cities more than twice our size have less 24 hour accomodations. I mean right fuckingnow at 12:30 am I can walk a couple of blocks to Hy Vee and do a full grocery trip if I wanted to. In Vancouver I'd have to wait another six hours for Save On to open. And I was living on Broadway, just outside of their downtown core

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
I was born and raised in boring ass central Nebraska, so Omaha is just about the right size and excitement level for me. I've managed to see my favorite band twice at Slowdown. I enjoy a few of the more laid back bars (Liv, the cigar bar dt). I can get to my job, school and grocery store on foot. I like my life kinda quiet and reserved

I've visited L.A., Denver, K.C., they just aren't for me. The really huge cities make me anxious, not sure why

What is your favorite band?

FyreWulff

Ugh, I hate those west omaha suburbs so much. So poorly designed, we're going to pay the price providing infrastructure to that in the years to come.

I always explain it to others as people wanting to live in a city without actually having to live within the city. They want remoteness and solitude with the comforts of urban locations.

I almost became a architecture / city planning engineer before making games and you quickly learn how political (for lack of a better term) road designs can actually be. They're intentionally designed to keep casual traffic from flowing through. Sacrifices usability for exclusion.

Tear down all the fucking stripmalls and force urban density on Omaha. ;-)

Seriously. Those damn stripmalls. I couldn't believe it when we went to a really nice restaurant, and it was in a stripmall.

FyreWulff

Tear down all the fucking stripmalls and force urban density on Omaha. ;-)

Seriously. Those damn stripmalls. I couldn't believe it when we went to a really nice restaurant, and it was in a stripmall.

That idea where the property tax is based off population density honestly seems like a good idea to me. Want to build out in the ass end of the city? You're going to have to pay for us to provide services to you.

In theory, it'd entice businesses to renovate and rebuild within the city.

And yeah, it seems developers are addicted to stripmall designs. They're ugly as shit but they're also not 'offensive' to people.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
The sprawl is killing central Omaha. There is a lot of money in central Omaha, but they all go to Westroads, Regency or Village Point to spend their money. Some of the busiest traffic and most dense areas of town can't support high-end stores because of this. Strange.

FyreWulff

Westroads also didn't tell the busses to fuck off.

Crossroads started withering out and died once they pushed the busses out. They had the station that went right up to Crossroad's door, then told them to go away and took the parking lot back.

Nobody wants to deal with getting off the bus in that area because the whole transfer setup is completely unusable now.

The malls downtown (Parkfair, etc) also died because they banned anyone younger than 18 and then told people waiting for the bus they couldn't wait in the mall.

You literally have a captive audience and you tell them to go away? Yeah, you're gonna wither up.

I mean seriously, how else are you a mall in downtown and die due to a lack of foot traffic? When literally 99% of the busses in the city pass right outside your doors? We'd ride the bus from South O right past Parkfair and go out to Westroads to go to the mall.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Everything is moving out West. I used to live out there. I still like traveling out there from time to time for consumer purposes. But I notice all the stores and shopping centers out towards Elkhorn.

Crossroads has absolutely nothing. Some of their stores I can't understand how they are even around. Like a costume store or even the Church that's in there now. Must be pretty cheap rent. I remember when that mall had just about everything. Hell, it used to have an arcade next to the food court.

Same with Oakview. I think the only mall worth going to is Westroads. And still, their prices are way too high. Compared to shopping selectively and online. Regency is also a nice area. But it seems to attract this feeling of wealth that just doesn't really show itself unless its one of those really nice homes that cost a fortune.

I actually enjoy a few strip malls. I don't see the point in going to midtown or village point. I can't believe they've put an age limit like you're saying. Downtown is mainly for boozing and socializing with couples. I don't see a lot of creativity downtown unless its something big happening. I never go to see the art shows or concerts. But I spent my teens in west Omaha. Now that I live out North. I have a totally different mentality. North and South Omaha may get a lot of talk, but I find the environment and different areas rather appealing. Then compared to your expensive strip malls and what not.

There's a younger audience out west. I don't see nearly as many young people out where I live. Probably because all the high schools aren't as close. Plus those kids out west are very wealthy because of their parents. So of course I think its more crowded.

We spend a fortune on new businesses. That new TD Ameritrade building cost around 200 million to build. I just think people aren't spending as much at local stores. Outside of food, the clothing stores are basically stealing your money unless you're buying it on sale. I don't want to buy $70-$80 polos at the mall. I mean, I'd rather save my money.

FyreWulff

You can usually tell a mall is abuot to die when it switches over to mostly clothing stores and random shit like churches. One of the proposed plans for Crossroads includes razing the mall itself and leaving the anchor stores there, so they probably aren't signing long term leases.

FyreWulff

9Vga4eXh.jpg

W3r0OYuh.jpg

VuIUDCph.jpg

WELCOME TO THE CWS

Catching the red-eye from Seattle to Omaha (by way of MSP) next Thursday for family activities and a baptism. Hopefully catching a Stormchasers game, taking my daughter to the zoo and drinking some Lucky Bucket and NBC.

FyreWulff

Catching the red-eye from Seattle to Omaha (by way of MSP) next Thursday for family activities and a baptism. Hopefully catching a Stormchasers game, taking my daughter to the zoo and drinking some Lucky Bucket and NBC.

I've done SEA -> MSP -> Omaha and the reverse a couple of times now over the past year. If you're lucky, MSP->OMA is going to have like, 5 people on it.

FyreWulff

I've done it probably 25 times in the past ten years. I've never seen the flight that sparse, actually.

Damn, I should play the lottery more then. Last time I did it there had to be no more than 10 or so people on the jet. I'm surprised the flight didn't get cancelled. They must have had the plane fully booked for it's return flight to MSP.

The flight attendant comes in after locking the door and goes "I guess nobody wants to go to Omaha today?"

Damn, I should play the lottery more then. Last time I did it there had to be no more than 10 or so people on the jet. I'm surprised the flight didn't get cancelled. They must have had the plane fully booked for it's return flight to MSP.

The flight attendant comes in after locking the door and goes "I guess nobody wants to go to Omaha today?"

We tend to take the Seattle red-eye to MSP, which puts us on the first flight out to Omaha in the morning. Typically at least half full.

And we always see one or two others group that were on the Seattle flight with us. :)

FyreWulff

Has anyone noticed we're rapidly becoming a bike-friendly town, including our suburbs? I went to drop off my brother at his job at Offutt and on the drive back, I noticed the entirety of Fort Crook all the way from the base to Harrison is a bike lane now. They gave bikes the entire shoulder lane all the way up to Chandler, then it becomes a shared lane afterwards. They even made the rightmost lane of Railroad Ave a shared bike lane, but it awkwardly stops at Harrison right now.

The entirety of 24th street from at least Leavenworth to Q is supposed to be converted to two-lanes with a bike lane on each side, so I guess once Omaha does that, the Bellevue Ft Crook bike network and the Omaha network will be directly connected to each other. Pretty neat.

We tend to take the Seattle red-eye to MSP, which puts us on the first flight out to Omaha in the morning. Typically at least half full.

And we always see one or two others group that were on the Seattle flight with us. :)

Good news for future travels, direct flights from Omaha-Seattle/Seattle-Omaha.

http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news...-way/-/9674510/20741062/-/os02lg/-/index.html

Alaska Airlines says it plans to offer daily service between Seattle and Omaha starting in November.

The flights between Seattle and Omaha begin Nov. 7 as part of an expansion that includes service from the carrier's Seattle hub to Colorado Springs and Omaha, as well as its Portland, Ore., hub to Tuscon, Ariz., and Reno, Nev.

Flights from Seattle are set to arrive in Omaha at 3:45 p.m. daily, and flights from Omaha to Seattle are scheduled to depart at 4:15 p.m. daily.

FyreWulff

Oh, that's nice

I'll be taking advantage of that

edit: looked it up, you can already book it

165$ OMA -> SEA.
219$ SEA -> OMA

3 1/2 hour flight. Current fastest flight is via Frontier, 5 1/2 to 6 hours (including the layover) OMA -> DEN -> SEA

U2NUMB

Was born in Omaha.. only spent 6 months there as I am told. So thanks for a smooth entry into the world Omaha... hope the city stays well.

Apparently Benson Brewery, first of a few new brewpubs opening in the area soon, is opening it's doors tonight at 6pm. I might have to go give it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom