• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMG, the Circle Pad Pro feels GROSS!

is this a popular opinion? i thought it was alright, maybe i'm just thinking in relation to the old tank controls though, heh.

Revelations is a good game, but the controls make me wish it was on a console. I'm not paying an extra $20 just to have good controls for one game.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I've been playing RE with CPP and here are a few thoughts.

1. I find it very ergonomic in terms of holding it in your hands. If you don't use THE CRAW hold and hold it in a relaxed manner, it's very comfortable to me.

2. The extra shoulder Z buttons are excellent. RE plays so much better with them.

3. There IS more of a dead zone in the circle pad than I think is ideal. This is true. I think it wasn't as apparent on the 3DS left circle pad because nobody was playing precise first/third person shooter style games with it.

However, and YMMV on this, I actually used the calibration menu in RE to recalibrate the right circle pad. I do believe it tightened up the dead zone by a little bit, as if RE's default calibration is set to allow for error as a safeguard. If you haven't done calibration from in the game yet, it's worth a shot.

Overall: I actually like the thing and believe it's pretty good, but not the best in terms of the dead zone of the slide pads. I would hope they use more robust analog mechanisms in the thumbpads on the Wii U controller - but folks should keep in mind that there's a hell of a lot more space inside the tablet pad for a thicker slide pad mechanism on the inside. The 3DS circle pads are tiny and super thin.

-KRS-

At first it feels bulky and cumbersome. However, after a few hours of using it, it feels fine. It greatly improves the experience, especially with Resident Evil: Revelations.

As a person who has large hands, it is actually is more comfortable than playing the normal 3DS.

Yeah this. When I got mine I tried holding it without the 3DS inserted, and it felt horrible. Like there was no grip at all. Almost as if it could slip out of my hands if I wasn't careful. It didn't feel completely right when I slapped the 3DS in there at first either, but then I found a comfortable way to hold it and now it's fine. It was the rounded bottom that made me confused.

Who's to say that a 3DS lite would even include a second analog stick? The CPP is only used for a few games right now, and it isn't absolutely critical to the experience.

I had high hopes for this, but I just can't see myself carrying around an extra part for my handheld. Unfortunately most of my hand-held gaming is away from home . It's hard enough carting the system itself around. This reminds me of the headphone adapter for the GBA SP. I wish major features like this would either be included in the original design.

A 3DS Lite wouldn't, but a 3DS XL would. There is no way they are going to make a smaller 3DS AND add a second circle pad. That's just not happening.

stilgar

It's ok, we all have a failed Nintendo peripherals in our collection somewhere. This is your first (hopefully)!

http://www.nitrobeard.com/storage/post-images/11/september/wiiboard.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1315806551885[IMG]

[IMG]http://webseasoning.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/nintendorob.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ilMrGujBxNcNY.jpg [IMG]

[IMG]http://www.hometheater.com/images/archivesart/0306GameBoy.1.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://realitypod.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Virtual-Boy.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Your list makes no sense whatsoever and it's not even relevant to the point of this thread. Nice!

Also, hotlinking is bad.

My dream 3DS Lite:

Click for a larger version..

I'd prefer the circle pads above the d-pad and buttons. Just make more sense. I can see my hands cramping having the pads so close to the bottom. With the way we would hold the system, it makes more sense to have the pads higher.

JMPerona

The Circle pad is working perfect for me. Hope they implement the consol to include it in future revisions. But right now I really like the way it feels in the hand.

I need to get my hands on a CPP to try out with MK7. I cannot effing play that game for more than 2 or 3 races without massive cramps. I strongly suspect the CPP will alleviate this, though it would be nice to test before dropping 20.

Please post impressions ASAP if you get one soon. I have the same problem you do with MK7. Mario 3D's second quest is also really difficult for me to play without getting cramps.

Wolfe

Just got mine in the mail
Slapped it on and booted up the RE demo (Yet again)

...holy shit

This thing is nasty! =(

I was pretty excited about it, especially after that Eurogamer review (which i'm responsible for posting none the less).

In reality, it's an ergonomic nightmare. It feels like a bulbous tumor and to top it off, it REALLY makes me skeptical of the WiiU if the final is indeed going with slidepads.
They feel like total poopoo. Huge deadzone, overshooting constantly. No real sense of footing at all.

I mean, i'm a bit amused as I now I have this completely useless piece of plastic and it's sort of a novelty at this point, but man, what happend Nintendo =(

I hope you react like this to everything, talk about overblown.

I feel like from your comment you don't have much 3rd party peripheral experience (not saying you don't just bear with me). I've owned two different 3DS grips and have used the CPP, the CPP feels far better than anything else I've tried if just for build quality and materials alone. Thing is at least well built.

I mean, I'm a bit amused as I now have read this completely useless piece of post and it's sort of a novelty at this point, but man, what happened AgentOtaku =(

I want Revelaitons, I do. But my Gamestops don't have any more Bundles or even Slide Pads and I won't buy that ugly motherfcker without first feeling it in the store. OP scares me that it won't be as comfortable as I'd hoped.

P90

Not sure why in 2012 you would buy a handheld with a single analog stick. That is unacceptable to me.

I see the advantages of two analog sticks, but there are significant drawbacks or other compromises that come into play. The handheld must be bigger, the buttons uncomfortably smaller, use small analog stick tops, etc. to accommodate the second stick. (See PSVita). Darned if you do, darned if you don't.

I've grown to like it. Initially it felt quite bad, and I still can't get a good grip on it, but the stick has broken in and I've learned how to hold it more with my left hand. Using the d-pad, L and R buttons don't feel natural. Surprisingly, using the touch screen or face buttons isn't a problem reaching over the right slider.

I feel like with the CPP already being such a massive lump of plastic, they should have gone all out and made it a controller grip. Right now it feels a big like the original Classic Controller with its smooth rounded back. If it had some actual grips or indents on the back, it would feel a lot better. Also a real second stick instead of a slide pad. I'm hopeful that a third party will make something like that.

The Hori 3DS Wheel makes playing the 3DS more comfortable at home because it's thicker and had grips on the back, elongates the shoulder buttons to feel like triggers, and generally gives the sensation of holding a console controller. That's what I want, only with CPP functionality.

and the problem with that mock up above is that it looks pretty uncomfortable. Biggest problem with the PSP slider was its placement directly under the d-pad, which is true for the 3DS d-pad directly under its slider. The PSP Go and Vita got it right by offsetting the analog and d-pad, making both comfortable to use. I'd have no problem of the hypothetical 3DS revision was larger if it was better designed. Getting the second set of buttons on there will be a bit more difficult.

I see the advantages of two analog sticks, but there are significant drawbacks or other compromises that come into play. The handheld must be bigger, the buttons uncomfortably smaller, use small analog stick tops, etc. to accommodate the second stick. (See PSVita). Darned if you do, darned if you don't.

Just because it's not as comfortable as a dualshock 3 doesn't mean it's not preferable to not having dual analog at all. And the entire DS line is too small to begin with, so there's room to grow.

Nintendo made a mistake with their design. They know it. It's ok for the fans to admit it too.

XxCGSxX

I don't know wth the OP is talking about, my only complaint is the positioning of the L button. Other than that it feels awesome in my hands, I have big hands I don't know if it makes any difference but I like it A LOT.

Jarsonot

So a lot of people love it and a lot of people hate it. It seems to me, then, that it varies person-to-person, and therefore how in the hell could you know you like it or not yourself based on some other person's opinion?

Maybe if an overwhelming majority felt one way about it you could reasonably assume you'd feel that way too, but in this case if you're on the fence you probably need to try it yourself.

I recently got it, thought it felt weird, and now think it's great. For me, at least, it really does make the 3DS easier to hold for long periods. The second slide pad has a different feel to it, but is easy to accommodate to.

<shrug> I like it. But I'd MUCH rather have it all built in to the actual 3DS.

Having to use a stylus "handicaps" your arm from using buttons though. I guess it can work in some games, but in others it would be more problematic.

I actually avoid stylus whenever possible. I always try and use my thumb now. I'm kinda over using the stylus ever again...

test_account

XP-39C²
I actually avoid stylus whenever possible. I always try and use my thumb now. I'm kinda over using the stylus ever again...
That would work better yeah, but then you have the problem that the thumb covers the screen :) But again, it variates from game to game, it works better in some than others.

I love it personally.

dhAv0.jpg

nice underside ergonomics, feels more natural on the triggers, I attach it for Resident Evil and detach it for pretty much anything else. I'm used to holding quad trigger controllers with two fingers readied above the shoulder buttons on each side, but with this they're small enough that I just use one finger each side and can go between the two... I don't find going from the right circle pad to the face buttons difficult, and generally - on the one game I have that takes advantage of it, I find it really nice. RE:R is perfectly playable without it though -- the steering style gyro aiming controls Capcom implemented are really nice.

I feel like a bonus of it is that it makes it more comfortable to hold, but it could be improved and made even more-so. If they did a version that had old-school controller prongs that extend the lower palms of the hand (like a lot of 3DS grips have) I think it'd be amazing. If they gave it 360/GC controller style grips, it'd make it that little bit more comfortable.

test_account

XP-39C²
Um, that's why you have two of those >_>
Good point when talking about the DS and the 3DS. It could work quite nice indeed then. Maybe i missed something earlier, but i understood the statement more as a general thing regarding control method, not just specific about 3DS. But again, it variates from game to game how well it works =)

EJ5Yrl.jpg

This would be better I feel. (Ignore the labelling that doesn't line up on the right anymore)

It's more like a 360 controller layout. I made the right buttons and the right circle pad a tad smaller to shift them further away from the bottom of the device. Moved the D-pad a little higher than where the left circle pad was too.

I hate the slidepad. It's something I put up with on the 3DS but I would far prefer the analog they use on the Cube/nunchuk. My thumb always slips off and I have to realign. Plus it just doesn't have the same comfort as a regular analog. Hate it.

Top Bottom