• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMG, the Circle Pad Pro feels GROSS!

Only Nintendo has the fan love and the cachet to release such a thing. If Sony had tried this with the PSP it would've been laughed into the Stone Age.

Uh, the circle pad was laughed into the stone age, not sure if you were around, but "NUBAGEDDON" was the word of the day, and Eurogamer despite praising the add-on's functionality, still states in concept, it's the worst thing to EVER happen in the industry.

Nintendo is exempt from nothing.

We really needed a thread about this, because the love for the circle pad has been so strong and everyone's been gushing about it since day 1.

So it's nice to finally have some impressions from the other side of the fence for once. Sick and tired of all the love the circle pad has been getting.

Not trying to do the hyperbole thing but yeah, I was one of those guys who listened/read a few too many favorable impressions and felt I couldn't go wrong ....and I got burned

Eusis

and Eurogamer despite praising the add-on's functionality, still states in concept, it's the worst thing to EVER happen in the industry.
Man, it's one of the most inelegant add ons ever conceived but some of this hyperbole is ridiculous. Dealing with a dumb control attachment is way better than a dumb console attachment (32X anyone?), nevermind serious things like companies exiting the industry or shutting down.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
They feel like total poopoo. Huge deadzone, overshooting constantly. No real sense of footing at all.

This really isn't the fault of the the circle pad, and instead the game.

Not trying to do the hyperbole thing but yeah, I was one of those guys who listened/read a few too many favorable impressions and felt I couldn't go wrong ....and I got burned

Right, but no.

There's lots of unfavorable impressions everywhere, and everyone hates the device, and there's still lots of negative stigma about it. I'm just wondering why you felt the need to make an entire thread to beat a dead horse, instead of just posting in the Revelaitons thread, for example. We already all know this device is not for everyone. I personally did not get one, because I think Revelaitons plays fine without it, but I will be purchasin it for Metal Gear, cuz the alternative is playing with the horrible Peace Walker/PSP control scheme. And that shit don't fly with me!

IrishNinja

This really isn't the fault of the the circle pad, and instead the game.

the RE demo? i dont recall much of this in the final version, so far at least.
hope otaku has a few plays allowed left, heh

i know i'm late to this, but is the wii-u using slidepads like the OP says?

last we saw of the tablet, yeah - im really hoping for some changes though, at the very least analog triggers.

StuBurns

Banned
i know i'm late to this, but is the wii-u using slidepads like the OP says?
Yes, but they're a little different.
WiiU_04.jpg

injurai

Banned
Yes, but they're a little different.
WiiU_04.jpg

I think the Wii U will have is success to a good extent, but I for one am not really looking forward to what it physically has to offer. The whole controller looks god awful and cumbersome. PS3Vita (IMO) is going to be the better Wii U, and games are going to be the saving grace of the U if anything. I'd rather save my money to see what cards Sony and Microsoft play for the next generation. I regret getting two consoles last gen, and I expect to just stick with PC gaming unless things prove to be looking up in the land of consoles.

I think the Wii U will have is success to a good extent, but I for one am not really looking forward to what it physically has to offer. The whole controller looks god awful and cumbersome. PS3Vita (IMO) is going to be the better Wii U, and games are going to be the saving grace of the U if anything. I'd rather save my money to see what cards Sony and Microsoft play for the next generation. I regret getting two consoles last gen, and I expect to just stick with PC gaming unless things prove to be looking up in the land of consoles.

That's such a silly thing to say.

I really wish some people would actually read impressions of the controller before they say things like this. And the Wii U has been shown off in playable form at least in 3 different venues within the last 9 months. It's easy to check.

And every single hands-on states how lightweight and comfortable the controller is. Does it look it? No, but again that's not the point. Every article I've read states that it's more comfortable than holding a comparatively heavy 360 wireless controller with batteries inside for long periods of time.

It's very clear from posts like this that some people don't bother doing a single shred of research.

Just got mine in the mail
Slapped it on and booted up the RE demo (Yet again)

...holy shit

This thing is nasty! =(

I was pretty excited about it, especially after that Eurogamer review (which i'm responsible for posting none the less).

In reality, it's an ergonomic nightmare. It feels like a bulbous tumor and to top it off, it REALLY makes me skeptical of the WiiU if the final is indeed going with slidepads.
They feel like total poopoo. Huge deadzone, overshooting constantly. No real sense of footing at all.

I mean, i'm a bit amused as I now I have this completely useless piece of plastic and it's sort of a novelty at this point, but man, what happend Nintendo =(

What happened Nintendo?

People keep buying their useless accessory crap. That's what happened.

injurai

Banned
I really wish some people would actually read impressions of the controller before they say things like this. And the Wii U has been shown off in playable form at least in 3 different venues within the last 9 months. It's easy to check.

And every single hands-on states how lightweight and comfortable the controller is. Does it look it? No, but again that's not the point. Every article I've read states that it's more comfortable than holding a comparatively heavy 360 wireless controller with batteries inside for long periods of time.

It's very clear from posts like this that some people don't bother doing a single shred of research.

I'll stay wait until my loaded friend buys one to make my official opinion. Going off of reviewers is a pretty horrible way to judge if something is good as well.

What happened Nintendo?

People keep buying their useless accessory crap. That's what happened.

Or...

3rd parties are too lazy to come up with unique control solutions, and instead force Nintendo to come up with same stuff we've been using for 15 years.

The Classic Controller Pro and the Circle Pad all stem from Capcom's Monster Hunter team being too lazy to do any actual work.

StuBurns

Banned
Bizarrely, there was some speculation on GAF at the time that a 'shell' version of PSV could be the PS4's controller. You'd get the screen, the touch stuff, but the normal DS3 stuff too. Having not played a PSV, I don't think that's a great idea, but it's an interesting concept. It basically is what the WiiU is after-all.

I'll stay wait until my loaded friend buys one to make my official opinion. Going off of reviewers is a pretty horrible way to judge if something is good as well.

Yeah, horrible. You're right. What was I thinking? Spending two minutes of my time reading the thoughts of people who have tried something.

Robin64

What really annoys me (that nobody else seems to moan about, so it's just me I guess) is that the screens are no longer in the center of the machine with this thing on. I just can't bring myself to use one purely because of the shifted-left-ness of them. Yuk.

SmokyDave

No, it's complete nonsense.

I thought the Wired review nailed it:

Wired said:
But I found the single-stick controls to be just fine, at least for the Normal level of difficulty. The zombies still stagger towards you slowly enough that having to rotate in place to turn around isn’t that big a deal.
Nothing like a little damning with faint praise.

Regardless, the issue here seems to be the CPP, not RE:R. I just couldn't help myself ;)

Lothars

Or...

3rd parties are too lazy to come up with unique control solutions, and instead force Nintendo to come up with same stuff we've been using for 15 years.

The Classic Controller Pro and the Circle Pad all stem from Capcom's Monster Hunter team being too lazy to do any actual work.
Yeah of course it's not just Nintendo wanting to offer more control options, If anything I think the Classic Controller Original/Pro are some of the best control options for the Wii hands down.

I haven't tried the Circle Pad Pro yet and probably won't but I just don't think it's worth 20 dollars especially when it should be bundled in with some of the 3DS games.

zroid

Banned
Looks like shit. But feels? Feels good, man

Will be trading my ambassador 3DS in for a 3DS with integrated circle pads - DAY ONE

But then how you gonna system transfer!?

I need to get my hands on a CPP to try out with MK7. I cannot effing play that game for more than 2 or 3 races without massive cramps. I strongly suspect the CPP will alleviate this, though it would be nice to test before dropping 20.

theBishop

Banned
I can't believe Nintendo is even joking about sliders on a console. Especially on a controller as huge as the WiiU tablet.

The circle pad is what it is: A stopgap until 3DS XL is announced. I didn't expect ergonomic perfection.

Yoona

Banned
Or...

Its needed for MH. Single analog MH is the opposite of good.

Its needed for MH. Single analog MH is the opposite of good.
touchscreen + "snap" camera really mitigates the need for a second analog from impressions. MH3G seems to play just fine on a stock 3DS. Tri controlled fine on Wii with the remote/nunchuk setup too, some even prefer it.

The game that REALLY seems to need the 2nd analog is MGS3D.

Just got mine in the mail

I mean, i'm a bit amused as I now I have this completely useless piece of plastic and it's sort of a novelty at this point, but man, what happend Nintendo =(

It's ok, we all have a failed Nintendo peripherals in our collection somewhere. This is your first (hopefully)!

wiiboard.jpg

nintendorob.jpg

ilMrGujBxNcNY.jpg

0306GameBoy.1.jpg

Virtual-Boy.jpg

Top Bottom