• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OMG! ...why are Mass Effect non-mutant women impossible to make?

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
IPoopStandingUp said:
I got the same vibe when creating a custom face that I got when playing Star Wars Galaxies or Fallout/Elder Scrolls...that all humans have to look disgusting.
Eeeh, comparing it to Bethesda stuff is just wrong. It's possible to make good-looking custom models here with a little work, and the NPCs all look quite decent. In Fallout/Elder Scrolls everyone is just a total trainwreck.

jon bones said:
wow, this thread is nearly as creepy as the OT figurine thread.

i made a jonbones-look-a-like for mass effect, it was pretty good.
But ME doesn't allow the user create waif-like lolis.

My Paragon Shepard looks like me. Except with muscles.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
jett said:
jett
Mr. Negativity
(Today, 10:21 AM)
Reply | Quote

heh, gotta get a new GPU first, since i can barely run Mirror's Edge on the thing with everything on low...

now DLC is free, is it...

My female Shepard looked good, but here eyes would sometimes glitch through her eyelids.

My male Shepard looked okay, but from certain angles he had gerbil cheeks.

Darunia said:
Did a quick search for the Mass Effect squad picture thread

Evelyn07.jpg

et voila

That's the only Shepard I ever play with.

acidviper

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
ME makes it really, really difficult to make an attractive character.

"Difficult", however, is still easier than Bethesda's "Impossible".
beowulf5_243x187.jpg

Difficult should be a walk in the park for you

Chinner said:
I disagree. Making a good looking custom male Shepard is impossible while it's pretty achievable for the female Shepard.

This is my feeling as well. My Shepard sounds like a hick and looks like a dope, while my wife's Shepard is attractive and has good voice acting. :(

Samara

Made this Shepard about 2 years ago, everyone was asking how I did it,did a video of how to, but then Youtube deleted my account for some copyright on Gametrailers last November. (username was Newtellla)

anyway here she is, Fiona Shepard.

HPIM2363.jpg

HPIM2395-1.jpg

I also think that Bioware's and Bethesda's character creation always spouts out ugly characters.

Aion's character creation is light years beyond their character creation.

demifiend

I learned to not listen to the internet hivemind on Shepard's female VA (which I found to be par at best), accepted male Shepard's VA and made a decent-looking male Shepard.

I thought my male Shepard was better than the default and my female Shepard looked like Lauren Holly in Dumb and Dumber, although her neck looked really long when just in her uniform.

stuminus3 said:
Female Shepards are weird. You guys are weird. Shepard is a man.

I don't know who that stranger is featured on the box art, but maybe he'll be in ME2 as a squad mate or something.

Hot lesbian Shepard knows what's up.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I went for the 1950's space hero Buzz Lightyear archetype for my male Shepard. He's awesome, flat top, chisled granite expression, chin that would make both Bruce Campbell and Bruce Wayne (circa Animated Series 1990s) green with envy. His voice is perfect, straight laced super hero, looks both ways before helping an old lady to cross the street. He turned out perfect.

kuYuri

doomed1 said:
hmm, i've been considering getting Mass Effect off of steam. anyone think it's worth it?

If I were you, I would buy this retail. Having the retail copy will make it easier when it comes to patches and DLC.

Asmodai

Banned
ALL custom made characters in ME look like they're missing a chromosome, whether male or female.

Stick to the default unless you want to play with mutants.

Strider2K99 said:
If I were you, I would buy this retail. Having the retail copy will make it easier when it comes to patches and DLC.

There aren't many patches, and there's only one DLC worth dling. Should be fine on Steam.

Strider2K99 said:
My Steam copy patched automatically after the patch came out, and DLC issues have been resolved. Even when I patched it manually before I knew Steam would auto-patch it, the patch downloader still automatically detected that I had the Steam version and installed to the appropriate directory.

kuYuri

Chris Remo said:
My Steam copy patched automatically after the patch came out, and DLC issues have been resolved. Even when I patched it manually before I knew Steam would auto-patch it, the patch downloader still automatically detected that I had the Steam version and installed to the appropriate directory.

Ah, well, that settles that. Thanks for the clarification.

I've seen alot of people on the Bioware forums have issues with Steam version, so I was worried.

Alucrid

Banned
sweetwasabi said:
Made this Shepard about 2 years ago, everyone was asking how I did it,did a video of how to, but then Youtube deleted my account for some copyright on Gametrailers last November. (username was Newtellla)

anyway here she is, Fiona Shepard.

That's really good, you don't have the sliders still, do you? I need to get one more round of ME in before 2 comes out.

Coincidentally, I took a ton of Mass Effect screenshots yesterday. I didn't take any shots of cinematic conversations or even any character closeups, but I do have a couple random in-world shots that demonstrate my female Shepard isn't a mutant:

chrisremo_masseffect_shepard.jpg

(I tend to use the helmets because I think they look pretty rad, so I don't have a lot of unobscured shots.)

Davidion

Asmodai said:
ALL custom made characters in ME look like they're missing a chromosome, whether male or female.

Stick to the default unless you want to play with mutants.

I want to see these mutants that people come up with. I have a custom male Shepard, an Asian one, no less, that looks pretty good. Hell, I think his face fits the VO better than the original Shepard.

Can't imagine everyone having such a hard time coming up with a normal looking person.

Davidion

SteelAttack said:
This is the only one I could find at that squad pic thread. I'd wager the...unorthodox aesthetic approach of the creator was fully intended, though.

Yeah most of the ones in there looks fine, good even.

Bioware's character creation tool is pretty damn robust by my measure, and as much as I love both games it sure beats the hell out of the one from Fallout 3.

Top Bottom