• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On April 5th, the Playstation 2 finally drops to $99

Blueblur1 said:
I have a 60GB PS3, a slim PS2 and a sealed copy of Persona 3: FES and Persona 4. I am lazy.

I'd swear that you're living in my house because I have the exact same thing going on :lol

Or is this one of those Fight Club style situations? :O

Barrett2

Quixzlizx said:
How are there people who post on gaming forums that have never owned a ps2?

I owned one briefly in 2001, but then I went through a 2.5 year period of not playing games, and sold everything.

Boss Man

Hmm, not sure if I want to bite or not...

Maybe if it drops a bit lower. There just aren't any games on it. Though a $99 DVD player does sound nice.

Joke!

Elios83

Seems the most useless price drop they could make to me. I doubt that at this point sales will increase more than necessary to simply offset the lower margin. People have just moved on since the last holyday season, it's not a matter of price IMO. BUt at least they will have a last year on the market with the product which maybe is what they're looking for.

B.K. said:
The 5th is when Gamestop's Gamerdays sale starts. Maybe it's dropping to $99 just for that sale.

First post of the thread implies that many retailers are starting this price shift, and Gamestop's promotional thing is inclusive to their store.

lawblob said:
Maybe i'll finally pick one up. My super high tech space age PS3 is incapable of reading these 'PS2 games.'

..... no seriously, I want Persona 3

lol lemme get this straight.

cure cancer....yes

play fantavision....no

ok got it

I guess this is their way of combating the DSi launch. I would consider getting one since I do want to play Persona 4 and my PS3 sucks, but I've already committed to spending $170 on that day. That's enough for me.

g35twinturbo said:
i know right, they are big fucking up.
They are big fucking broke. Even with the release of Killzone 2 (there fastest selling first party title this gen - based on only two days worth of numbers though :lol), I doubt SCE will have managed to pull a profit this quarter (though I'm not sure what they're financials will look like now that they're lumped together with other stuff in a new division).

Sony can't drop the price. That's all there is to it. Maybe a boost in ps2 sales will help them to afford one down the road.

If the rest of the company wasn't bleeding money, they might've been able to bite the bullet and cut it just to help the ps3 get back on its feet, but at the moment their hands are tied.

I hope they can afford to announce one by E3, though. :(

ThePeacemaker02 said:
What's with the link? It's written by Dave Perry who isn't at IGN anymore and was written in 2003.
That's the point. It was speculated in 2003 but it never came, so it's been a "long time coming."

inner-G

Banned
lawblob said:
Maybe i'll finally pick one up. My super high tech space age PS3 is incapable of reading these 'PS2 games.'

..... no seriously, I want Persona 3
persona 3/4 are worth it alone.

Blueblur1

Saint Gregory said:
I'd swear that you're living in my house because I have the exact same thing going on :lol

Or is this one of those Fight Club style situations? :O
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Wow, same here right down to the sealed copies of Persona.
WHAT IS GOING ON HERE??

LOL we're all lazy bums.

notsol337

marked forever
It's about time I picked up a ps2 and started on my playstation back catalogue thing!

I see several trips to gamestop in my future, I do!

Zoe

DigitalSoul said:
No hard drive support. I guess thats a disadvantage If its important to you.

But technically you could use a USB drive, right? You just won't get any gains in load times?

Baha

Zoe said:
But technically you could use a USB drive, right? You just won't get any gains in load times?

You can use a USB drive, dunno about the load times but USB 2.0 is fast.

Zoc

Maybe I'll take the opportunity to get a North American PS2. Can anybody recommend any good PS2 games that were NA/Europe exclusives, ie, never released in Japan?

Zoc said:
Maybe I'll take the opportunity to get a North American PS2. Can anybody recommend any good PS2 games that were NA/Europe exclusives, ie, never released in Japan?

All the Singstar and Buzz games if you like Karaoke and trivia games and also MLB The Show 09 if you like baseball....I'm sure there are more but I can't think of anything else right now off the top of my head.

I guess Sony's not too keen on giving up the PS2's lifetime sales crown to Nintendo's DS, yet. I guess I should let my aunt know. She was planning to replace her son's fat PS2, which recently broke. She was actually going to replace it with a PS3, until I told her that the new PS3s don't play PS2 games. -1 PS3 and +1 PS2 sale for Sony.

inner-G

Banned
George Claw M.D. said:
I guess Sony's not too keen on giving up the PS2's lifetime sales crown to Nintendo's DS, yet. I guess I should let my aunt know. She was planning to replace her son's fat PS2, which recently broke. She was actually going to replace it with a PS3, until I told her that the new PS3s don't play PS2 games. -1 PS3 and +1 PS2 sale for Sony.
I bet her kid will just loooove you :lol

Zoe

Machado said:
it does, but it won't recognize them

Uggggh... so much conflicting information.

BTW, I'm not talking about using it for real installs (a la FFXI) but rather just HD Loader.

inner-G said:
I bet her kid will just loooove you :lol
I know, huh? :lol

What could I do, though? She came to me for advice, before finalizing her decision, since I'm the "go-to-guy" in the family, for all things video games or tech-related. She already knew I had a PS3 that played everything from PS1 through PS3, plus DVD and Blu-ray playback. She wasn't even too concerned with the PS3 game functionality, but was interested in getting a Blu-ray player. Being able to kill 2 birds with 1 stone was going to justify a PS3 purchase. She couldn't justify getting a PS3, solely for Blu-ray playback, if she still had to get a PS2 to play my cousin's large library of PS2 games. She said she'll just get a used PS2, and get a Blu-ray player, later. However, with this price drop, she may just be better off getting a new one.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
RBH said:
I hope this also means a price drop on the ceramic white PS2 bundle.
Do they sell white memory cards in america?
Do japanese memory cards work with an american system?

Can't have a white system with a black memory card.

Top Bottom