• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On Oct. 30, will Nintendo finally show QOL (and the console for emerging markets)?

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
qolrdkuy.png
Just a little food for thought, not meant to be taken seriously.

With the holiday season quickly approaching, Nintendo's focus ought to be on key titles such as Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Pokémon Omega Ruby & Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and of course the NFC-enabled amiboo figurines, together with driving hardware sales. That's fine and dandy, but one has to take into account another thing that Mr. Iwata has spoken about on two separate occasions this year, the QOL (Quality of Life) platform. And also not to forget, Nintendo's plans to introduce a console for emerging markets as early as 2015/16.

At the Corporate Management Policy Briefing in January, Mr. Iwata announced that this new business will be launched during the fiscal year ending March 2016, which begins in April 2015. At the Financial Results Briefing for Fiscal Year Ended March 2014 on May 8, he stated that he would like to disclose more specific information later this year. While not explicitly announced (it usually isn't announced until a few days prior), the Second Quarter Financial Results Briefing for FY 2014 is expected to happen on October 30, following the Second Quarter Earnings Release the day before. This is the last major opportunity for Nintendo to before year's end communicate more finely their QOL plans to analysts and investors alike, unless they decide to host some press conference in which the system is explained more in detail. But having announced QOL in a financial results briefing, I think it makes sense to also unveil it in such.

Before we delve into the receptacle of trying to predict Nintendo's mysterious ways, let's take a quick look back at the current status of QOL and it's initial inception. As mentioned, Mr. Iwata first spoke about this new business at the Corporate Management Policy Briefing/Third Quarter Financial Results Briefing in January this year.
He made clear the following:

• They will attempt to establish a new platform business with which they can leverage their strengths, but which is independent from their video game platform business.
  • Mr. Iwata is willing to redefine the meaning of entertainment. As the extension of the definition of video games gave new potential to video games, he thinks now is the time they need to extend the definition of entertainment.
  • They have decided to redefine their notion of entertainment as something that improves people’s quality of life in enjoyable ways, and take a step forward in expanding their business areas.
  • They'll try to achieve in the next 10 years a platform business that improves people’s QOL in enjoyable ways.
  • The theme of "health", with future possibilities being "learning" and "lifestyle".
  • QOL will be what Nintendo calls “non-wearable” technology.
  • Nintendo expects it to interact with games and create a synergistic effect.
Source: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/140130/04.html

From there on, more information has come mainly from trademark filings, beginning with them trademarking QOL in Japan, for many kinds of products. In Japan, QOL is featured having many more goods and services connected than in the US and Europe, but it's just common practice to try and cover as many areas as possible. Whether Nintendo will start binging out Donkey Kong themed condoms and magic baby units (see the linked thread) is up for debate, but the major scope appears to be some kind of device. This is better covered in the US filings, via the connected G&S:

IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Providing games via communication by handheld game apparatus with liquid crystal displays; Providing games via communication by consumer video game apparatus; Providing games for consumer video game apparatus; Providing games for handheld game apparatus with liquid crystal displays

IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Consumer video game apparatus; Controllers and joysticks for consumer video game apparatus; Parts and accessories for consumer video game apparatus; Handheld game apparatus with liquid crystal displays; Controllers and joysticks for handheld game apparatus with liquid crystal displays; Parts and accessories for handheld game apparatus with liquid crystal displays

IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Programs for consumer video game apparatus; Electronic circuits, optical discs, ROM cards, ROM cartridges, CD-ROMs, and memory cards storing programs for consumer video game apparatus; Storage media storing programs for consumer video game apparatus; Memory cards for consumer video game apparatus; Programs for handheld game apparatus with liquid crystal displays; Electronic circuits, optical discs, ROM cards, ROM cartridges, CD-ROMs, and memory cards storing programs for handheld game apparatus with liquid crystal displays; Storage media storing programs for handheld game apparatus with liquid crystal displays; Memory cards for handheld game apparatus with liquid crystal displays; Downloadable or installable programs and additional data for consumer video game apparatus; Downloadable or installable programs and additional data for handheld game apparatus with liquid crystal displays
Handheld game apparatus is mentioned twice here. That doesn't necessarily mean we will get a new Game Boy like device, but something with a screen on seems reasonable enough.

So, we now have a new business initiative by Nintendo waiting to be launched, and it entails changing the way of entertainment to entail improving the quality of life for the users. And Mr. Iwata has previously said he'd like to share more information about this later this year. It is now later this year, and by the end of the month, Nintendo will have its final financial results briefing before year's end. Unless this project has been scrapped, I think there is a good chance QOL will be unveiled at the briefing (or at least in close connection to it). If not, confusion (primarily among analysts and investors) is likely to ensue.

Also, let's take a look at that console for emerging markets, which Mr. Iwata spoke to Reuters about in May:

(Reuters) - Nintendo Co Ltd plans to introduce a new kind of games console and software for emerging markets as early as next year, to capitalize on higher entertainment budgets amidst a growing middle class, its chief executive told Reuters on Thursday.

Satoru Iwata said Nintendo would develop hardware and games oriented towards consumers with lower incomes and less gaming experience than those in developed countries.

Nintendo is searching for new business opportunities as it buckles down and seeks to stem losses on its latest home game console, the Wii U, whose flop has contrasted with blockbuster sales for rival Sony Corp's Playstation 4.

Satoru said there were no plans to launch existing hardware such as the Wii U or 3DS in emerging markets, including China.

"It would be difficult to enter those markets if we didn't create something new... For the mass market you need to provide something that most of the middle class can afford," he said in an interview following an analyst briefing on Thursday.

Iwata declined to elaborate on the design and specification of such a new device and did not specify the countries where it would be sold, saying only that "emerging markets" referred to those whose gaming potential had not yet been cracked.

In China, Iwata said Nintendo would try a different tack to Microsoft Corp. The U.S. rival last month said it would begin selling its Xbox One console through a Chinese partner from September in Shanghai's free trade zone, after the government lifted a ban on the sale of foreign consoles there.

"We think the Chinese market has a lot of potential, but I don't think the lifting of the ban has solved all of the difficulties in entering it. We need to study it more," he said, adding that Nintendo would adjust its pricing to fit consumers in emerging nations.

"For us, Microsoft's approach wouldn't work."
Source: http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/08/us-nintendo-emergingmarkets-idUSBREA4703U20140508

For a console that could be introduced as early as next year, I would assume they want to start talking quite soon about it, if it's still on the table. The upcoming briefing perhaps doesn't have to feature a full disclosure, but some more details would be nice. It'd certainly appease some investors.

Nintendo is scheduled to publish its Second Quarter Earnings Release for FY 2014 on October 29, with the earnings release briefing anticipated on the 30th (usually 10.00 a.m. JST).

What do you think, will they finally then unveil the mystery that is QOL?

BY2K

Membero Americo
That's a very misleading thread title.

I do wish they'd finally fully reveal the damn thing.

JayEH

So... are they revealing it on Oct. 30 or not?

If not, why did you have the click bait title?

Anth0ny

Yeah, October 30th sounds about right if they're actually going to talk about it this year. I'm real curious to hear what exactly they have planned with this whole concept.

I'm expecting a Nintendo version of this:

fisher_price_hallmark_2010_zookeeper_says_ornament_zps35654131.jpg

..except with Nintendo characters. Land on Luigi and it says "I do it!". Land on Mario and it says "It's a me, Mario!!", etc.

Think about it, it meets all the criteria.

-Helps people learn
-Is Non-wearable
-Is electronic
-Includes all the Nintendo characters we know and love!

Thoughts?

This is my first time posting a picture, I hope it works...

They dont need a console for emerging markets, They need to sell their existing consoles at the US Price .

That's not how the economy works. You have to price your products to match the standard of living (I am drawing a blank on the actual term) in the area you are selling the product. Selling it at U.S prices in emerging markets kinda kills the idea.

That's not how the economy works. You have to price your products to match the standard of living (I am drawing a blank on the actual term) in the area you are selling the product. Selling it at U.S prices in emerging markets kinda kills the idea.

They are selling it at double or triple the US price, so people have to import, if they can match the US price in those markets, they are set

RM8

I live in Mexico, so I get to own a WiiU and a Povertii. I hope it's a Virtual Console box or something :3

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Holy misleading thread title, Batman. You could have at least put "Speculation" in there.

Also, I'm willing to bet the Qudy/Qudii patent is very much their QOL thing.

Powerwing

Sorry for the bump, but this morning i was reading this article http://tempsreel.nouvelobs.com/sante/20141027.OBS3252/fujifilm-des-pellicules-photo-au-medicament-contre-ebola.html (sorry it's in french) speaking about the fujifilm reconversion (article's title is Fujifilm : from photographic film to ebola treatment). To sum up quickly , Fujifilm (80 years company old this year) was well known in the field of photographic film but 20 years ago operates a remarkable diversification due to the decline or i would say the rise of the digital photo era.
At that time they already had a foot in the medical field (medical images like radios...etc) but they began to buy biopharmaceutical companies and other stuff detailed in the article. The result is that the revenue generated for 2013-2014 by the health branch is approximately 2,8 billion euros.
No one know exactly what will be Nintendo 's QOL products but the parallel with Fujifilm is quite interesting , knowing that health market is growing yoy as we tend to live and work longer.

Cosmozone

I'm pretty sure, by QOL, Nintendo is referring to what is more commonly known as "Gamification": doing not entertainment related things in a entertaining way. Unfortunately, the newest Wii Fit already bombed. "Non-wearables" could simply be things that are "worn" by inanimate objects, such as chairs?? Still will be interesting to see, what they think about.

Chakabah

Neo Member
Maybe it will be related to the "Wii Vitaliy Sensor" that Nintendo announced back in 2008 (or 09?). Seems to fitting to the idea "Quality of Life".

Wild guess however. I'm interested though.

Banned
Leak from the new console for the emerging markets, still in tests.

Fuck this crap Nintendo, give us a proper store and affordable prices like Steam did and not a downgraded piece of trash.

The hell does that have to do with the QOL?
I second BY2K's post.

I think we will at least get more details about QOL on Oct 30th.

they will present a device that transform you into a morphball
So painful.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Keep forgetting qol is supposed to exist. Increasingly doubtful it ever will
It might as well not exist if this thing is what it sounds like to me than I don't see why it would interest us the players since it doesn't sound like it's got nothing to do with gaming.In the same sense I myself care little for Sony products that are outside the SCEA division and I met plenty of Xbox fans who have little to no regard towards other Microsoft products because it doesn't cater to our gaming interest and I know I don't speak for everyone but this is merely how I see it.

Sorcerer

..except with Nintendo characters. Land on Luigi and it says "I do it!". Land on Mario and it says "It's a me, Mario!!", etc.

-Helps people learn
-Is Non-wearable
-Is electronic

Thoughts?

Wii the account system be tied to the hardware on this new console?

Miles X

-Helps people learn
-Is Non-wearable
-Is electronic

Thoughts?

Duuuude, blast from the past, I had one of those when I was like 4!

Top Bottom