• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On The Casual Use of the Word "Rape" in Gaming Culture

Jintor

Via The Escapist, from an Anonymous writer. As the article points out early on, sexism and gender issues are not the focus of this essay. I know the chances of this thread devolving are relatively high, but I think it's something worth reading.

First of all, let's get one thing straight: Using the word "rape" in an online game is not some kind of longstanding tradition or a definitive part of the culture. I've been a gamer for well over two decades, and this term hasn't been around more than a handful of years. Good-natured trash talk is fine between friends, but that's not what this is. I've played basketball with at-risk youth from inner-city Chicago, and the things they said to me, even when I was being crowded and fouled and knocked to the pavement, were nothing compared to a single hour on Xbox Live. You can play aggressively and still be a good sport.

Second, games are not the last place where telling someone you "raped" them is ok -- it's not okay to say that to strangers in any place. I'd even caution you about using that term around friends. Rape victims in general don't advertise, and you have no idea when you'll be in our company. I nearly had to leave a Game of Thrones party the other day because my friends, male and female, were yelling rape jokes at the screen during every scene of sex or violence. The first few didn't faze me, but by the time they were chanting, "Rape! Rape! Rape!" at the mob attacking Sansa, I'd lost any chance of enjoying my night. If my friends don't even know I'm a rape victim, how do you know the strangers on your server aren't? Often I won't say anything, even when I'm upset, because I don't want to be negative and ruin everyone's fun.

Except "ruining fun" is exactly why I dislike it when people use that word. It ruins my fun. It sucks the fun out of a game like oxygen through a blown airlock. Being raped was the worst thing that ever happened to me, and I don't like to be reminded of it when I'm supposed to be enjoying myself. Imagine if someone captured your flag or dominated you in deathmatch, then rubbed in your face how your sister was killed by a drunk driver or your dad abandoned you when you were little. That's how close it cuts. People keep using the word "offended," in this discussion -- I'm not offended, I'm hurt. Hearing this word causes me emotional pain.

sp3000

Lol at whoever wrote that thinking that kids of Xbox Live actually care about who they offend or "hurt"

Also a gaffer probably wrote this just to troll

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It sounds like they need to confront some of their own friends before addressing the immature kids on the internet.

rpg_poser

Actually, I agree with this. However it could be my age (pushing 50). But there were other words (retard, jew) which offended me before this particular example. It's not the words, it's the entitled, uncaring attitude bolstered by anonymity which lays behind it that makes my blood boil.
Put the idiots on ignore it and be choosy about who you play with.

Deitus

I do agree with the general point of the article, but I have to wonder how many articles we can have about this in a month before it all just becomes white noise.

UrbanRats

Lol at whoever wrote that thinking that kids of Xbox Live actually care about who they offend or "hurt"

Also a gaffer probably wrote this just to troll

Uhm, sadly true.
I'm sorry but who are all these discussions aimed at? The majority of the people saying rape jokes to strangers online WILL NOT read this ("this" being either NeoGAF or Escapist) nor care about it.
It's not completely useless to discuss it, as always, discussion is good, but it's kinda barking at the wrong tree.

That said: i agree it's not cool to use that kind of language with strangers or acquaintances, not entirely sure about the friends part, as it is impossible to tell what secrets another friends is witholding and many jokes can be potentially hurtful, beside rape jokes, so it would be seriously difficult to avoid all those subjects, when with close(r) friends.

Amazing how many people critize games journalism for not talking about real topics, and being a PR mouthpiece, and then when they actually talk about a real problem facing gaming culture it's just a cavalcade of people complaining about how many articles are being written on the topic.

Actually, I agree with this. However it could be my age (pushing 50). But there were other words (retard, jew) which offended me before this particular example. It's not the words, it's the entitled, uncaring attitude bolstered by anonymity which lays behind it that makes my blood boil.
Put the idoits on ignore it and be choosy about who you play with.

Yup. Kids are dumb. Especially when they can be anonymous online.

Orayn

Amazing how many people critize games journalism for not talking about real topics, and being a PR mouthpiece, and then when they actually talk about a real problem facing gaming culture it's just a cavalcade of people complaining about how many articles are being written on the topic.

I know, right? Let's vilify them for taking up a good gaming-related cause!

It's something that can be easily remedied, but instead we're just going to see article after article about it.

It sure beats articles about entitlement, which company should go 3rd party, etc.

Isn`t using your dad abandon you common? Especially with people that actually had their dad abandon them.

Honest question is it the word "Rape" thats the problem or the intent/context behind it?

Instead of screaming we "raped" you 20 to 1, can I yell we "sexually assaulted" you or "surprised sexed" you?

Or even use a word completely different I`m going to "Notepad you" and your going to like it!

Would just removing the word and replacing it with something else be enough to solve the problem?

saunderez

I've never heard the word "rape" used so often as it has been lately in all these "rape culture" articles. Not even in online gaming.

Orayn

I've never heard the word "rape" used so often as it has been lately in all these "rape culture" articles. Not even in online gaming.

Then count yourself lucky, because that probably means the people you play with are relatively mature. "I have not experienced X, therefore X is not a real problem" isn't much of an argument against these articles, though.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Ditto. The part about their friends screaming 'rape, rape, rape' at the tv sounds made up to me. Maybe I just have awesome friends.

Then count yourself lucky, because that probably means the people you play with are relatively mature. "I have not experienced X, therefore X is not a real problem" isn't much of an argument against these articles, though.
Neither is ignoring that people have had good experiences online. How many articles are there about 'Hey, I just found 3 randoms on Left 4 Dead and we had a ton of fun. We were all different cultures, but the fun of the game brought us together. And if those do exist, who's going to read them?

Anyone else play with people that don't say those type of things? I feel like youtube comments are worse than what I hear when playing games.

Jintor

Isn`t using your dad abandon you common? Especially with people that actually had their dad abandon them.

Honest question is it the word "Rape" thats the problem or the intent/context behind it?

Instead of screaming we "raped" you 20 to 1, can I yell we "sexually assaulted" you or "surprised sexed" you?

Or even use a word completely different I`m going to "Notepad you" and your going to like it!

Would just removing the word and replacing it with something else be enough to solve the problem?

It's pretty clearly the word.

One thing I hear a lot is that "rape" has a different definition in online slang. People point to the South Park episode "The F Word," which satirically suggests that the meanings of words change, and that the word "fag" has come to mean inconsiderate people. Actually, I'd say the South Park episode that's more applicable is "With Apologies to Jessie Jackson" and its discussion of the N word. Now, of course I'm not suggesting that the use of "rape" in online slang is comparable to racial slurs -- it's not, though I also tend to hear racial slurs on Xbox Live -- but that the episode explains how you may never understand the emotional baggage attached to certain words. Sure, I know that when you say you "raped" my team you aren't trying to upset me, but that doesn't stop the word from dredging up extremely negative feelings.

Whether you like it or not, if you use "rape" as a slang term it's going to have an effect on people. And yes, I think there is something to the argument that using the word all the time normalizes it, but let's not complicate this debate any further.

Ditto. The part about their friends screaming 'rape, rape, rape' at the tv sounds made up to me.

Face meet palm.

Is it possible that experiences beyond your direct field of vision occur?

saunderez

Ditto. The part about their friends screaming 'rape, rape, rape' at the tv sounds made up to me. Maybe I just have awesome friends.

I play with randoms half the time and I haven't heard it. You're more likely to get some moron blasting music over his mic or talking in a stupid high pitched voice the entire match in my experience.

Yagharek

You tried jintor, you tried.

I think as people grow up they should show a little maturity and not throw around words carelessly. Context is key.

I'm not averse to swearing, nothing wrong with that. But obviously people using rape in that context are just being immature. They may not mean anything by it, but they are stubborn enough to assert there's nothing wrong with it. I think half the replies in this page are of that ilk, which is a shame, yet unsurprising.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
It's pretty clearly the word.

Face meet palm.

Is it possible that experiences beyond your direct field of vision occur?

'Face meet palm' is a very mature way of dealing with someone who has had a different experience. When did I say that they don't occur? I never said the online parts didn't sound made up, but I did say that the part of yelling at the tv seemed made up, and I bring up my previous point that, if their friends are like that, it sounds like they need to talk to their friends.

But let me express myself as maturely as you, SMH SMH SMH

Orayn

Neither is ignoring that people have had good experiences online. How many articles are there about 'Hey, I just found 3 randoms on Left 4 Dead and we had a ton of fun. We were all different cultures, but the fun of the game brought us together. And if those do exist, who's going to read them?

While I know what you're getting at, this doesn't make the subject of this article any less relevant. Is it somehow not a valid discussion just because it doesn't happen to everyone?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Don't have time for a full response now, but yeah, this trend totally disgusts me, and is totally reflective of misogyny in gaming culture.

BY2K

Membero Americo
What is it with this industry and the issue with sexism or rape these days?

I blame Crystal Dynamics.

j/k

- J - D -

It'd be a start. Consider that in most cases, using the phrase "you just got raped" in the context of being dominated in a video game of some sort suggests that the winning person/party wanted the loser to feel a disheartened and defeated. In that sense, the words "owned" or "whooped" just don't carry enough of an edge, the words are just too juvenile and relatively harmless. At the very least, replacing "raped" with a similarly heavy term like "killed", "murdered", "murked" would be more fitting because in most cases defeat in a competitive game means you were killed, not sexually assaulted.

I'm glad the topic is continually eating broached in any outlet. There may not be anything new to say about it (that fact elicits similarly repetitive, dejectory comments from gamers here), but there's no harm in raising the issue. Not every gamer will have heard the word used against them, but seemingly its widespread enough to garner this much attention that the topi shouldn't be downplayed.

Kettch

Reminds me of the Dota2 2nd place guy yelling it out when interviewed at Dreamhack, which happened to be nationally televised in Sweden. Making a good first impression.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Whenever someone starts yapping about rape, I tend to ask them for their address or find out where they work. It starts to put them on the edge.

What is your point? That no one would read an article on a game working like it should? Of course not- but I'm positive there are articles online talking about grouping with randoms and having an okay time. Why is it that looking at the negative aspects of gaming should be balanced by looking at the positives? People yelling rape and ignoring how the meanings behind words, and perhaps even going as far as to attack those who do find issue with it is a much more pressing topic then I played a game with some randoms and enjoyed myself. A major issue issue with rape culture, especially in the videogame community, isn't just that people use the word as an insult, but that there are people that try to downplay the impact of the word, or question why we are talking about it.

Overly unnecessary political correctness is more annoying than a thousand XBL teens telling me they're raping my face in.

If you're an adult who can't deal with a word with a negative, aggressive connotation to describe a negative, aggressive act (being beaten badly, dominated, etc.) then you need to look inwards to resolve your issues.

The term applies. It represents one of the ultimate ways of dominating someone and it may as well be a synonym for such an action at this point.

Words change their meanings through different cultures and over time.

If I said I had a gay old time with my friends last night, you would probably spring to a homosexual connotation, yet I could just as easily be referencing happiness and merriment.

Lighten up and get over it. There are real issues out there. This is just fodder for attention and hits.

El Sloth

Banned
Man, that article was hard to read.

And then I check the first three posts here and all I can do is shake my head. At least read the article in question before outright dismissing it, fellas. Jeez.

Jintor

'Face meet palm' is a very mature way of dealing with someone who has had a different experience. When did I say that they don't occur? I never said the online parts didn't sound made up, but I did say that the part of yelling at the tv seemed made up, and I bring up my previous point that, if their friends are like that, it sounds like they need to talk to their friends.

But let me express myself as maturely as you, SMH SMH SMH

Let me contradict it with my own direct experience. Oh no, we've gotten nowhere.

I just seem to recall instant doubt on your party back in the thread regarding Katie and her experiences, so forgive me if I seem a little testy.

Jaeyden

Didn't we just have 2 different 50 plus page threads on this word\subject? Tomb Raider and the 'Rape' culture thread...if I'm not mistaken.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Lighten up and get over it. There are real issues out there. This is just fodder for attention and hits.

So "rape" is okay, but racist banter is not?

Didn't we just have 2 different 50 plus page threads on this word\subject? Tomb Raider and the 'Rape' culture thread...if I'm not mistaken.

It is better to confront the issue while dealing with the history and context of it, rather than sweep it under the carpet continually. The gaming culture is filled to the brim with idiots.

- J - D -

Overly unnecessary political correctness is more annoying than a thousand XBL teens telling me they're raping my face in.

If you're an adult who can't deal with a word with a negative, aggressive connotation to describe a negative, aggressive act (being beaten badly, dominated, etc.) then you need to look inwards to resolve your issues.

The term applies. It represents one of the ultimate ways of dominating someone and it may as well be a synonym for such an action at this point.

If I said I had a gay old time with my friends last night, you would probably spring to a homosexual connotation, yet I could just as easily be referencing happiness and merriment.

What modern culture still uses "gay" as anything but either a descriptive, pejorative, or slur? Does any still use it as a simile of "happy" or joyful?

What the fuck is wrong with you that this is your response to an article written by a rape victim. What the fuck made you write "words change meaning" as a rape victim describes the horrific feelings and emotions brought up when the word is directed at them. Words change meaning sure, I'll accept that. Saying I raped you online did not change the meaning of the word. Rape still means rape. It doesn't mean owned. It doesn't mean better than. It means fucking rape.

Jintor

The experience of being raped has touched every aspect of my life. People like Ron Rosenberg, the PR head for Tomb Raider, tend to talk about rape like it's some character-building challenge to overcome, a wound that heals into scar tissue, making you tougher. That's a fundamental misunderstanding. Rape isn't a scar, it's a limp -- you carry it with you as long as you're alive, and it makes life harder, not easier. Being raped does change you: it's more than non-consensual sex, it's psychic murder. The person you were beforehand ceases to exist and you can never, ever be them again.

About a year ago I was diagnosed with depression and post-traumatic stress disorder, conditions that had flown under the radar since I'd learned to live with them over the decades. It explained a lot.

El Sloth

Banned

Jesus. Did you even read the article? Because given the context this is an incredibly fucked up thing to say.

And if the writer wanted attention then he would have attached his name to the article rather than go anonymous.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
What the fuck is wrong with you that this is your response to an article written by a rape victim. What the fuck made you write "words change meaning" as a rape victim describes the horrific feelings and emotions brought up when the word is directed at them. Words change meaning sure, I'll accept that. Saying I raped you online did not change the meaning of the word. Rape still means rape. It doesn't mean owned. It doesn't mean better than. It means fucking rape.

Well, probably because words can change meaning, I'd imagine. But I'm not the person who posted it, so I suppose I could be wrong.

did seem kinda insensitive, though.

rpg_poser

Anyone else play with people that don't say those type of things? I feel like youtube comments are worse than what I hear when playing games.
Hasn't happened often to me. The worst was on a WoW pvp server during the time before Obama was elected president. I played for years on that server with a small group of friends and for some reason, the worst idiots came out of the woodwork during that time.
I don't play any online games on the xbox live, which is where I see most of the truly offensive message screenshots. Check out reddit's gaming page sometime.
Not sure what can be "done" about the problem except to not be a part of it. Every time I get into an argument with that type of idiot, it just goes around in a circle.

Top Bottom