• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

On This Day In Gaming History

Lionel Richie

Jun 22, 2014
On August 24th 1995, Windows '95 was released to the public. While it is not directly related to gaming, it did change the landscape of PC gaming from the DOS era, to API plug-ins like Direct X.

Huge part of my childhood right there, I see the logo and immediately get the chills. I played a lot of Lode Runner: The Legend Returns, The Incredible Toon Machine, SimTown and Duke Nukem 3D on this baby.

Reactions: Godzilla Emu

MrCunningham

Jan 12, 2012
BC Canada
Huge part of my childhood right there, I see the logo and immediately get the chills. I played a lot of Lode Runner: The Legend Returns, The Incredible Toon Machine, SimTown and Duke Nukem 3D on this baby.
I honestly don't really have much nostalgia for Windows 95 myself. Sure, I remember using it on Pentium 90 machines at my highschool back then. But the first Windows OS that I owned was Windows 98, which in many ways was just an update on Windows 95. But yeah, Windows 95 was huge though.

Also worth noting that Gabe Newell was one of the producers of Windows 95. Gabe was also in charge of making sure that Windows 95 was a game-developer friendly platform. He ported Doom to Windows 95 in 1996, to showcase DirectX 3.0 to game developers. Which highlighted Doom running with hardware acceleration at higher resolutions with filtering and AA. Not too long after, Gabe left Microsoft and used his millions of dollars to form Valve.

Last edited:

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
May 4, 2007
On Aug 25th, 2005 Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow was released on the DS JP.

(alt fan-made boxart, as konami really dropped the ball with the original)

The flagman in a sequence of stellar Castlevanias on the DS, DS took the Symphony of the Night & Aria of Sorrow formula and added on the deep tactical element with the Tactical Souls system*. The rest, as they say, is history.

* Actually introduced in Aria of Sorrow, I keep blending those two.

DS -- the Souls of Castlevania.

Last edited:

petran79

Sep 17, 2012
I honestly don't really have much nostalgia for Windows 95 myself. Sure, I remember using it on Pentium 90 machines at my highschool back then. But the first Windows OS that I owned was Windows 98, which in many ways was just an update on Windows 95. But yeah, Windows 95 was huge though.
I remember we still preferred DOS and occasionally win3.11 for games. I jumped to w95 in 1997 for the first time, buying a new pc with a 3d card. Used w98 in 1999.
Can't remember how many times I reinstalled that OS. Must have been at least 20

Reactions: Godzilla Emu

Rhaknam

Formerly 'VysePSU'
May 9, 2019
Aug. 25th, 2005

Game changer for the series introducing story, and walking traverse like an open world game.
I believe the release date for this game is actually October 2003, not August 2005.

Keep in mind American Wasteland was released in October 2005.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017
On This Day In Gaming History: August 27th

On this day in gaming history, I was born!

Also, in more exciting news, these games were released.

Super Mario Kart was released on this day in Japan in 1992.

Also released on this day in Japan in 1994 was Mother 2 AKA Earthbound.

Popular PS2 online shooter SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs was released on this day in 2002.

Jan 18, 2018
Berlin
On This Day In Gaming History: August 27th

On this day in gaming history, I was born!

Also, in more exciting news, these games were released.

Super Mario Kart was released on this day in Japan in 1992.

Also released on this day in Japan in 1994 was Mother 2 AKA Earthbound.

Popular PS2 online shooter SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs was released on this day in 2002.

Happy Birthday Bullet Club Bullet Club !

Thabass

Jun 9, 2008

On this day, on August 30th, 2000, the arcade hit, WWF Royal Rumble came to consoles, exclusively on the Dreamcast.

Reactions: Bullet Club

Bullet Club

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017
On this day: August 31

On this day in 1999, one of the best RPGs of all time was released on the Playstation: Suikoden II

On this day in 1999, one of the best survival horror games of all time was released on the Playstation: Dino Crisis

On this day in 1999, the first game in one of the best extreme sports series of all time was released on the Playstation: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater

On this day in 1999, one of the best real-time strategy games of all time was released on the PC: Homeworld

Wowee, what a day August 31st, 1999 was!

Gashtronomy

Apr 19, 2019
On this day, the 2nd of September...

Infinite Undiscovery, by developer Tri-Ace, released in North America for the Xbox 360.

Microsoft smashed some RPGs around this time. Lost odyssey, blue dragon, infinite undiscovery and last remnant.

Rhaknam

Formerly 'VysePSU'
May 9, 2019
Microsoft smashed some RPGs around this time. Lost odyssey, blue dragon, infinite undiscovery and last remnant.
Mistwalker in particular I thought was an interesting developer, responsible not only for Blue Dragon but also Lost Odyssey for the Xbox 360 and The Last Story for the Wii. I didn't even know they made Blue Dragon sequels for the DS.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Gashtronomy

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Jul 2, 2013
Oregon
September 16, 2003: The Simpons Hit and Run

It was released on Playstation 2, Xbox, Gamecube, and PC.

Last edited:

Rhaknam

Formerly 'VysePSU'
May 9, 2019
On this day, the 16th of September...

Boktai: The Sun is in Your Hand releases in North America for the Game Boy Advance.

Also, on this day, the 16th of September...

At the Tokyo Game Show (2005), Satoru Iwata unveils the Revolution (Wii) controller during his keynote speech.

Alongside the announcement, Iwata showed video footage from major figures including Konami's Hideo Kojima, who commented that the controller was "totally unexpected... [it] provides something brand new", and Dragon Quest's Yuji Horii, who commented that he "believed people will not hesitate to use this controller".

Last edited:

Rhaknam

Formerly 'VysePSU'
May 9, 2019
On this day in gaming, the 20th of September...

9/20/2000: 🇺🇸 Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 releases in North America for the PlayStation.

9/20/1996: 🇯🇵 Revelations: Persona releases in Japan for the PlayStation.

Last edited:

stranno

Dec 7, 2016
León, Spain
20 years of:

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis.

Goemon's Great Adventure. Yeah, the side-scroller game, the second one, not the Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon masterpiece.

Reactions: Gashtronomy

Rhaknam

Formerly 'VysePSU'
May 9, 2019
On this day, the 21st of September... literally minutes away from the day ending... :lollipop_anxious_sweat:

15 years ago, LucasArts released Star Wars: Battlefront for the PS2, Xbox and PC.

It was a new hope for Star Wars games back then as the previous year saw the release of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KotOR) whose sequel, The Sith Lords, would release only a couple months after the original Battlefront.

More recently, back in May, this classic from Pandemic was made available to play on Steam.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: hariseldon

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Jul 2, 2013
Oregon
On this day (September 23rd) in 1889 Nintendo was founded. That makes the company 130 years old, although they've only been involved with video games for the last 47 years.

So many great memories for me personally, I had a Nintendo NES Nintendo NES , Super Nintendo Super Nintendo , and Game Boy Game Boy growing up that I was almost inseparable from.

I know the video is about 7 years out of date, but it's a fun history lesson

• Love