• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

On This Day In Gaming History

On this day, the 26th of September...

Final Fight One released in North America for the Game Boy Advance Game Boy Advance

14247-final-fight-game-boy-advance-front-cover.jpg

Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria released in North America for the PlayStation 2 PlayStation 2

77623-valkyrie-profile-2-silmeria-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
This is awesome.

To make a suggestion, I think you’d get more traction if you posted a new topic for each day that you do, as well as posting what happened that day in the title.

I may be wrong, but to elaborate a little, it seems that updates to threads always get less traction than just starting anew, and throwing something of interest in the title, might hook people interested in that day’s news to come check it out and discuss.

Last edited:

Bullet Club

On this day/month in history: October 1979

Galaxian

Galaxian was released in Japan in October 1979. Don't know the exact day.

sNTtSuz.jpg

M6FIi5V.jpg

fBGNFAq.png

k5JRetG.jpg

JzgfAD0.jpg

Galaxian is a 1979 fixed shooter arcade game developed and published by Namco. In North America, it was manufactured and distributed by Midway Games. Controlling a small starfighter, the player is tasked with wiping out the titular Galaxians, who plot to take over Earth and enslave mankind. Enemies appear in a set formation at the top of the screen and will make dive bombs towards the player while firing projectiles. Bonus points are awarded for destroying enemies in groups or in mid-flight. It runs on the Namco Galaxian arcade system.

Galaxian was designed by Kazunori Sawano, who worked on many of Namco's electro-mechanical shooting gallery games, and programmed by Kōichi Tashiro. Namco had set out to capitalize on the success of Taito's Space Invaders, which had a massive impact on the video game market and was proving to be a critical and financial success. Although not the first video game to do so, Galaxian popularized the use of RGB through its colorful enemy designs, as well as the use of short jingles and scrolling backgrounds. It is one of the company's first video games to be exported outside Japan, thanks to their licensing deal with Midway Games.

Galaxian proved to be a critical and commercial success upon release, many applauding its improvements over other "invader"-type games and innovations. By 1982, it sold over 40,000 arcade units in North America alone, while in Japan it proved to be more of a success than Pac-Man. It was followed by a long series of sequels and spin-offs for multiple platforms — the first of these, Galaga, would usurp the original in popularity and be recognized as one of the greatest video games of all time. The original has been ported to numerous game consoles, including the Atari 2600, MSX and Family Computer, and be included in multiple Namco video game compilations. It is cited as one of the most influential and important video games of the shoot'em up genre.

Sexy Bonus Video

Last edited:
On this day, the 5th of October...

Skies of Arcadia released in Japan for the Dreamcast Dreamcast

208338-skies-of-arcadia-dreamcast-front-cover.jpg

Note: Skies of Arcadia (Eternal Arcadia) was initially set to release on September 14th, 2000 in Japan but was delayed to October 5th.

Skies of Arcadia is a role-playing video game with an emphasis on world exploration. Gameplay is similar to early Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest games; the player engages enemies in turn-based battles to earn experience points, making their characters stronger. The overworld is divided into six regions, traversed by flying airships in 3D space; "Discoveries", hidden locations, reward the player with extra benefits. The world map starts out blank, and it is up to the player to chart the map through exploration. The player may also recruit characters they encounter in exploration, allowing them to be placed on the ship or base's staff, adding extra benefits to exploration or battle.

When docked on landmasses or warships, exploration occurs on foot. There, gameplay alternates between exploring cities and progressing through the game's dungeons. Cities are visited to buy equipment to make character's stronger, and interact with non-playable characters to progress the story. The dungeons exist in the format of a maze, with the player navigating the characters through it to obtain beneficial items in treasure chests while taking on enemies in random battles. Getting through the end of the maze generally culminates in a last boss battle to be won prior to exiting.

The developer, Overworks, made conscious decisions to make entering individual buildings in towns seamless, without loading, and to use an expressive, anime art style to more clearly show facial expressions and emotions of characters, both of which they felt had been lacking from recent popular RPGs such as Final Fantasy VII and Final Fantasy VIII. Similarly, while the aforementioned games were focused on dark themes and complicated gameplay systems, Overworks strove to keep the game bright and cheerful, with simple gameplay mechanics that focused on exploring a large game world. The game was released across two of Sega's proprietary GD-Rom discs, to accommodate its size.

It is easily my all-time favorite video game. I would even recommend playing the GameCube port, Skies of Arcadia Legends which has additional story content and features. Hopefully SEGA will re-release it again in the near future.

Last edited:

Naibel

Just played it the other day, didn't know it was its 25th anniversary ! Time files, man.

It's still a great game, and Sonic 3 & Knuckles is pretty much the ultimate Sonic experience. Sonic Mania came close though. Its sequel can't come soon enough !

Last edited:
On this day, the 19th of October...

Vanquish released in North America for the PlayStation 3 PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 Xbox 360

294980-vanquish-playstation-3-front-cover.jpg

The game is notable for introducing several innovations to the 3D shooter genre, including a fast-paced style of gameplay reminiscent of 2D bullet hell shooters, beat 'em up elements, and an original sliding-boost mechanic.

The game received a positive critical reaction upon release, with critics praising the game's fast-paced action, innovations to the shooter genre, boss battles and visual style, while criticizing the game's writing, voice acting and overall short length of the campaign.

The game's director, Shinji Mikami, stated that Vanquish's graphics were partially inspired by Casshern, a 1970s anime series by Tatsunoko Production. Mikami also stated that the game design itself was inspired by Casshern. Mikami originally wanted to create a game just like Casshern, but with the addition of guns, since he had already previously created a brawler with God Hand. However, while making Vanquish a shooter, Mikami still wanted to maintain Casshern's "feeling of speed", which is the reason he introduced the sliding-boost mechanic.

Last edited:
October 29, 2007 saw the release of Stranglehold for the PlayStation 3 PlayStation 3 . It is the video game sequel to the 1992 John Woo action movie Hard Boiled, by Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy director Brian Eddy. A sequel to Stranglehold, titled Gun Runner, was cancelled and looks like it would have introduced a new character played by Vin Diesel.

Oh, and I guess it has been 10 years since Midway filed for bankruptcy. Wikipedia states that by October 2009, they were no longer selling video games and had disposed of all fixed assets by that time.

Last edited:
I really do feel like I should follow up that post with one talking about a good game.

That being said, it's been 20 years since the release of Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage for the PlayStation PlayStation

DbJl3WjWsAAtc5R.jpg

Known in Europe and Australia as Spyro 2: Glimmer of Hope, it is among the three original games in the series that have been recently remastered for the Spyro Reignited Trilogy. The game world is divided into three realms: the Summer Forest, Autumn Plains, and Winter Tundra, all of which feature castles captured by the game's antagonist, Ripto.

Last edited:
It's been 15 years since legendary composer Nobuo Uematsu resigned from Square Enix and became a freelancer.

Note: Wikipedia mentions November 5th. The article below was published on November 1st.
TOKYO--Nobuo Uematsu, well-known composer of the soundtracks to the Final Fantasy series, has announced his plans to leave publisher Square Enix after nearly 20 years. In a newsletter sent to members of his fan club "Nobiyo no Shippo," Uematsu said that he will establish his own independent studio called Smile Please.

"I'll be leaving Square Enix as of October," reads the letter. "[But] it's not like I had any issues with Square Enix. I just wanted to work at my own pace. […] I'm leaving the company on good terms."

"The word 'quitting' has kind of a negative sound to it, so perhaps a better word would be 'graduating,'" Uematsu explains. "I'll continue to work with 'my old school,' writing music for games, doing concerts, and making more Black Mages albums," he said, referring to the recently formed Final Fantasy live rock band fronted by Uematsu. "I'll be working even harder than before--with the overseas market also in mind--for the future of those [projects], so thank you for your support."

Nobuo Uematsu joined Square in 1986 and quickly become known for his groundbreaking work on the Final Fantasy games. He also composed the music for most of Square's earliest game software, such as King's Knight and 3-D World Runner. His involvement with new Final Fantasy games has been declining in recent years, as he shared composing duties on Final Fantasy X, only composed a few tracks for Final Fantasy XI, and will contribute only one track to Final Fantasy XII.

On May 10, 2004, Uematsu hosted the first Final Fantasy concert to have taken place in the USA, which was held in Los Angeles. This December, he will release the second Black Mages album, which is currently planned for release in Japan only.

Last edited:

GenericUser

On this day, in 1995 a well beloved franchise was released to the world via the PlayStation: Twisted Metal

61T3PRP64PL._SX342_.jpg

It would go on to get several sequels, and then die a slow,painful death on the PS3 unfortunately.

That was over 20 years ago. I'm feeling old. You are old too!
I remember hours of splitscreen action. Good times.

Top Bottom