• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

On This Day In History

Bullet Club

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017
A thread for what happened on this date in the past. It could be something major, it could be something trivial.

On this day 3 years ago, Ronda Rousey had her face smashed in for the first time in UFC.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018

November 1380, the event that sparked off the English Peasants Revolt AKA the Wat Tyler's Rebellion.

in 1380, England was in the brutal Hundred Years war with France, it's funding rapidly draining, an over-taxed populace already brimming with revolt. Parliament was called in November of that year to levy a new poll tax, which was three times the amount of the previous tax, and apply it to everyone regardless of income. this was the straw that broke the camel's back and resulted in the English Peasants Revolt of 1381.

this was a fascinating rebellion that included the capture of the 14-year-old King Richard II, his agreement to fundamentally reform feudalism, and the subsequent reversal of the situation once the king got back to the royal realm (where his advisers informed him he would do no such thing). in the meantime, the young king had granted the rebels official documents to aid in their mission: they broke into court houses, methodically destroyed documentation, and took vengeance on crooked tax collectors and sheriffs (the bad cops of 1380) . these were not just dirt digging peasants, these were legally aware workers, business owners, artisans, etc. taking political agency by force. this is a fascinating historical case study in practical revolution:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peasants'_Revolt

i highly recommend the book 1381: The Year of the Peasants' Revolt by Juliet Barker.

Last edited:

Dark Star

Jan 14, 2018
420 History: The Story Behind April 20 Becoming ‘Weed Day’

It was Christmas week in Oakland, 1990 - that timeless gathering of hippies that springs up in the parking lot before every Grateful Dead concert - when a Deadhead handed out yellow flyers : “We are going to meet at 4:20 on 4/20 for 420-ing in Marin County at the Bolinas Ridge sunset spot on Mt. Tamalpais”

A 420 back story: “420 started somewhere in San Rafael, California in the late ‘70s. It started as the police code for Marijuana Smoking in Progress. After local heads heard of the police call, they started using the expression 420 when referring to herb - Let’s Go 420, dude!”

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/420-history-the-story-beh_n_851136

Last edited:
Reactions: Bullet Club

Chunk Loves Sloth

Gold Member
Nov 5, 2016
I don't care where (just far)
A thread for what happened on this date in the past. It could be something major, it could be something trivial.

On this day 3 years ago, Ronda Rousey had her face smashed in for the first time in UFC.

I believe Ronda has said that an elbow from Holly had her fucked from the jump early in round one. Maybe I’m imagining I heard that though. I need to rewatch the fight. That was a crazy night

SLoWMoTIoN

Milk Connoisseur
Feb 2, 2018
August 21, 1944. A combined Canadian–Polish force captured the strategically important town of Falaise, France, in the final offensive of the Battle on Normandy.

SLoWMoTIoN

Milk Connoisseur
Feb 2, 2018
1910 – Korea is annexed by Japan with the signing of the Japan–Korea Treaty of 1910, beginning a period of Japanese rule of Korea that lasted until the end of World War II.

1942 – Brazil declares war on Germany, Japan and Italy.

2007 – The Texas Rangers defeat the Baltimore Orioles 30–3, the most runs scored by a team in modern Major League Baseball history.

Ellis

Dec 3, 2018
London, UK
23rd August 1305

Scottish patriot William Wallace was hanged, beheaded, and quartered in London, and his body parts were later displayed in different cities. His barbaric murder came as a result of Wallace's efforts to free Scotland from the occupying English forces. The 1995 movie Braveheart was based on Wallace's life.

Jan 11, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
23rd August 1305

Scottish patriot William Wallace was hanged, beheaded, and quartered in London, and his body parts were later displayed in different cities. His barbaric murder came as a result of Wallace's efforts to free Scotland from the occupying English forces. The 1995 movie Braveheart was based on Wallace's life.
Thanks for spoiling the film, asshole.
hi, my name is what? My name is who? My name is CHIKACHIKACHIKA slim shady.

• LOL
Reactions: Ellis
Dec 25, 2018
Manchester, England
The earliest known printed reference to the United States by the nickname "Uncle Sam" occurs in the Troy Post

An incubator is used for the first time on a premature infant.

The U.S. Congress passes the Workman's Compensation Act.

ESPN, the Entertainment and Sports Programing Network, debuts.

James Alfred Van Allen, discovered and named the two radiation belts surrounding the Earth.