• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once cross gen ends, would you be happy with 1080p on 'next gen' games if it meant keeping 60fps?

Would you accept 1080p on next gen games if it means keeping 60fps for the rest of the gen?

• Total voters

TheAssist

I want what Insomniac is doing. giving me the option. Like in PC games. Let me decide between 30 fps high res or 60 fps lower res.

1080p is not enough, even at 60 fps. Unless reconstruction does something magical, but that seems like a lot to me. I'm sitting in front of a 43 inch PC monitor (!), so 1080p looks like utter shite.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Internally rendered resolution is almost meaningless when coupled with some type of upscaling solution, IQ > Pixel count any day of the week. 1440P is the sweet spot tbh. I like the eye candy more than native 4K.
That's not true. There are several buffers you have to write to for your rendering pipeline. When it's rendering those passes (zdepth, light passes, normal passes, screenspace FX, comps, stencil masks, etc..), you will get quantization errors, aliasing and floating point inaccuracies when you finally do upscale. Some shaders may show lower resolution (which Alex showed). Internal resolution of buffers is very important.

Last edited:
Well ultimately it depends on the final image quality. With that said that wouldn't stop developers from having a high fidelity mode at 30FPs. Remember these consoles are not the equivalent to have high end PCs so something has to give to obtain 60FPs.

Hunnybun

It just depends what the trade off is.

Eg with Returnal, I don't think what we're getting in exchange is enough. It looks good - a bit better than the best PS4 games, perhaps - but that's not enough to accept half the base resolution that the Pro was delivering!!

Otoh, R&C looks incredible, on the same level as the Unreal 5 demo IMO, so I'd be more accepting of 1080p60 for those graphics.

Even then, though, I'm not sure that would really be the OPTIMAL choice. Yes, it looks great, but it's actually more than I was expecting. At that point I'd probably sacrifice a bit of eye candy for something like 1440p, to provide a better upscaling base.

I mean, really, we need more data. We need to see more games specifically built for the consoles.

The other one we've seen a good amount of, Deathloop, is perhaps more what I had in mind for this gen. IMO looks better than Returnal, but nowhere near Ratchet, but is still 60fps and "dynamic" 4k - now, if that turns out to be a base of 1440p or so, rather than 1080p, then I'd say that's closer to what I want from the gen than the crazy amount of particles everywhere in Returnal, or even the slightly ludicrous Pixar level visuals of R&C.

It's gonna be interesting to see what the resolution of R&C actually is, btw. I thought the sort of graphics they showed last year were plausible in 4k, but what we saw last night.... I just can't see that. So I'm assuming the 60fps mode will be something like a base of 1080p. I'm not really sure how I fee about that tbh. Guess we'll just have to see how it looks.

Mithos

PC hooked up to a TV (Sony KDL-50w805b), so only 60hz.
I'll take 1080p, 60fps and high/ultra with RTX over anything above it for a few years more.
So I'll take the same for any console.

Last edited:

Tranquil

It might be better for the mental health of some gamers here to not actually know what the internal resolution of a game is so they can enjoy what they see with their eyes on the TV instead of the internet telling them what they are looking at is not good enough.

I can easily tell the difference between 720p/1080p/4k but I sit in front of desk with a computer monitor to game.

Last edited:
Old Man No GIF by MOODMAN

And such a disappointment seeing so many of you guys going along with this travesty. What happened with famed 4K gaming and why are you so quick to surrender for less? It’s even more egregious knowing most of you Americans have big homes with 60+ inch TVs. I had 1080p TV 10 years ago ffs. 🙄

Keihart

I think i would be ok with 1080p as the resolution, but i don't think i need 60 fps on every game. As long as frame pacing it's on point, no tearing and you get at least some 30 stable, push the system as hard you want devs.
Some games are definitely designed for 60 fps tho and i'm ok with that, but i really see no gain in pushing for that frame rate in every game, in some cases bumping up resolution it's a bigger deal in the experience, say something with really small details for example.

So yeah, whatever the dev wants, if the game it's bad because of it, so be it.

Duchess

For me, frame rate is more important than resolution.

I'll take 1080p at 60fps over 4k at 30fps any day of the week (including Wednesdays).

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The poll results are fucking sickening.

1080p already looks like shit. 1080p NEXT GEN?

Thats like being ok with 720i in 2021.

No one would be ok with 720i just to keep 60fps. Thats a fact.

Next gen, 8K will be the standard.

You're all lying to yourselves and those around you.

60fps continues to be the most overrated feature in gaming history.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Hell no wtf is that. I'd much rather have 30fps and better fidelity than playing at a resolution that became standard over a decade ago. Thankfully history has shown I'll get my way. Kiss my ass you 60fps lovers! Hahahaha
I love you
IDGAF about the 4K dick contest.

Give me 1080p and 60fps as bare minimum, thank you.
Bruh.. I dont understand you weirdos. Go watch a nature documentary in 4K... then watch it again in 1080p.. then say with a straight face you don't care about 4k...

Wtf?

longdi

Banned
1080p baseline on base consoles will mean 1440p or 4k on Pro consoles or PCMR.

I voted yes.

Going PCMR + Steam + Gamepass :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Shmunter

Implausible scenario with reconstruction a staple feature. I say go for it, use the resources for more complex rendering, reconstruct to higher rez because it works.

This is the way it should be.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
If Rift Apart is capable of maintaining a solid 4k ish/60 fps with the visual quality from state of play, I don't really see what kind of push developers can make such that they have to lower the resolution to 1080P. Talking RT off of course.

BigLee74

Give me 60fps. I will then accept whatever cuts they need to make to graphics/resolution.

Every single time.

I wouldn't be happy, but I'd be okay with it. 1080p can still look decent enough. I'm personally hoping for 1440p60 as the standard.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Upsampling and reconstruction techniques are becoming really, really good, so as long as the presentation on screen is able to emulate something between 1440p and 4K, I certainly wouldn't mind.

Native 4K is already a massive waste of resources and a slight upgrade over native 1440p. I'd like at least 1440p internal to be attempted of course before any reconstruction or upsampling.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Hell no. As of today only DLSS is capable of bumping up such low resolution to a good image quality, everything else like TAA, CBR, DRS etc. already can't handle 1440-1620p, let alone 1080p...

geordiemp

It depends whats going on in the game

If players want last gen looking games with bland static backgrounds, low effects then there will be plenty of 4k games that do that

If the developer wants lots of effects on screen, then there is a sacrifice. Look at the cost in performance of simply adding 2 torches did in Valhalla

So, what do players want from consoles ? Low effects / low particles, not too many alphas and Illumination / Ray tracing / GI / 3D audio just to say hey its native 4K but looks bland and boring ?

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
The poll results are fucking sickening.

1080p already looks like shit. 1080p NEXT GEN?

Thats like being ok with 720i in 2021.

No one would be ok with 720i that just to keep 60fps. Thats a fact.

Next gen, 8K will be the standard.

You're all lying to yourselves and those around you.

60fps continues to be the most overrated feature in gaming history.
Eh... my tv and monitor are not super gigantic so I don’t feel the need to upgrade from 1080p

refresh rate though is something felt regardless of size of the tv or resolution.

60fps should be standard because it’s the refresh rate of most the tvs out there. Removes choppiness.

I realize some may prefer 30 because there are some techniques to mask the choppiness but nothing beats having the same framerate as the refresh rate of your monitor.

As a bare fucking minimum:

- 1080p upscaling to 1440p or 4K
- Rock solid 30FPS as a bare minimum (games with frequent drops below 30 should cause riots in the streets)

Anything else above is just gravy.

Anyone expecting 4K/60 on any next gen games: I feel sorry for you and may God have mercy on your soul.

Esppiral

Anything lower than 1440p looks like trash on my Sony 4k TV so they better not release 1080p this gen, what year is it?

Zeroing

Banned
Maybe.

also
Sony needs to sell 4K TVs
and MS have the most powerful console in the universe so both will showcase that “high fidelity pixel”

joking 🙃 kinda…

Top Bottom