• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Analyst's Prediction: PS4 Slim to be announced in addition to the PS4 Neo at TGS

Dovahking

From the Digital Foundry thread.

Interesting news:

https://twitter.com/mochi_wsj?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

WSJ analyst is claiming after the recent Sony investors meeting that Sony is planning to announce a PS4 Slim on top of Neo in September at Tokyo Game Show.

Edit: full quote
Sony plans to ship 20 million units of the PlayStation 4 during the current fiscal year, with momentum likely to be fueled by releases of blockbuster game titles and a high-end version of the console.

Macquarie Securities analyst Damian Thong said Sony might also introduce a slimmer version of the PlayStation. Sony declined to comment on that possibility. The new variations of the console might be released at a game show in September, Mr. Thong said.

Please lock if it's old.

dralla

It's already a pretty small console. It's also extremely loud and runs hot. I wonder how much smaller they can get

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
NX better be cheap if it has to compete with a 249$ PS4 Slim next year.

Fisty

Ehh i doubt it. Doesnt seem very cost effective on Sony's end.

Unless they went with the 5.5 tflop Neo, then i suppose it could make sense.

thuway

The pricing of Neo at $399 and PS4 Slim at $299 is way too close. Is Sony really going to announce two SKUs at one event in October?

salromano

Guys, it's an analyst prediction.

Can't read the article 'cuz no WSJ account, but going by the tweet: "Sony analyst says "PlayStation 4 Slim," not just "Neo," due by Tokyo Game Show in Sept"

It's already a pretty small console. It's also extremely loud and runs hot. I wonder how much smaller they can get

I always scratched my had when people compared their PS4 to jet engines and said they got deafeningly loud. My PS4 never makes any noise, at least nothing audible from the couch.

Then I played a game off a disk for the first time earlier this year. The different is amazing.

Digital games: ssshhhh, the baby is sleeping
Physical games: AAAAHHH THE BABY IS SCREAMING

SpecX

I look forward to this announcement. I already own 2 systems and probably won't buy another, but I want to see Sony magicians make this box 40% smaller.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
That's alot of hardware for Sony. PS4K, PS4 Slim, PSVR all releasing close to one another.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Hope this isn't true, that last thing they need is to make things even more complicated. MS seemed all over the place at E3 and their new console isn't out for 18 months.

icespide

Banned
I always scratched my had when people compared their PS4 to jet engines and said they got deafeningly loud. My PS4 never makes any noise, at least nothing audible from the couch.

Then I played a game off a disc for the first time earlier this year. The different is amazing.

physical games are only loud when they're installing. Once the game is fully installed it should run exactly the same as digital

Ushay

Sending out their slim to die. Am I right guys? /s

If this is true I'd love to see what refinements they have made to it. Maybe go back to the classical PS2 shape? Would love that!

Thabass

I doubt Neo will be having a SKU coming out this year. No way it happens. I say they announce at TGS or wait until The PSX event that I'm sure will happen in December.

I just can't see the Neo being announced this year and being released this year. Even if there is an announcement, there won't be a price.

Would they really announce at TGS? That show doesn't have nearly the console presence it used to, plus I don't think western media even covers it.

wachie

Full quote.

Sony plans to ship 20 million units of the PlayStation 4 during the current fiscal year, with momentum likely to be fueled by releases of blockbuster game titles and a high-end version of the console.

Macquarie Securities analyst Damian Thong said Sony might also introduce a slimmer version of the PlayStation. Sony declined to comment on that possibility. The new variations of the console might be released at a game show in September, Mr. Thong said.

I wonder if they'll get as much shit as MS did. Seems even "worse" to release a PS4S if the PS4 Neo may be out this year, in terms of SKU confusion.

Then again, I never really thought MS's X1S/Scorpio reveal was confusing. X1S and PS4S (if real) seem more catered towards people who haven't bought consoles yet, not existing owners who want to upgrade.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Then I played a game off a disk for the first time earlier this year. The different is amazing.

All games get installed to the HDD. There should be no audible difference. It has to do with how demanding a game is.

I wonder if they'll get as much shit as MS did. Seems even "worse" to release a PS4S if the PS4 Neo may be out this year, in terms of SKU confusion.

Then again, I never really thought MS's X1S/Scorpio reveal was confusing. X1S and PS4S (if real) seem more catered towards people who haven't bought consoles yet, not existing owners who want to upgrade.

I agree with you except for one thing. The Xbox One S is a 4k disc player. My reason for upgrade.

Schrade

physical games are only loud when they're installing. Once the game is fully installed it should run exactly the same as digital

Nothing is loud on my PS4. It's a launch unit and I don't buy digital. All my games are on Disc.

I can hear the fan ramp up on certain games when temps are higher but it's certainly not jet engine sounds. Just normal fan sound. And when installing from disc it's just normal optical disc head movement sound that I hear.

It just seems weird that so many people insist that ALL PS4s have the problem they are having when it's more likely that it's just them and several other people.

I can totally understand that manufacturing consistency could be a factor. Maybe one run had horrible thermal paste application while another run had it just fine.

AmyS

PS4 Slim $299

PS4 Neo $399 ~ $499 tops.

No fucking way Sony will do another Five Hundred Ninety Nine Dollars, again.

Onaco

Guys, it's an analyst prediction.

Can't read the article 'cuz no WSJ account, but going by the tweet: "Sony analyst says "PlayStation 4 Slim," not just "Neo," due by Tokyo Game Show in Sept"

So like... Someone on Gaf? Not holding my breath. I can hold out on an jet engine-sounding PS4 for another year as I wait for Neo.

Top Bottom