• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Chinese online retailer has 16k~ Xbox One's Pre ordered 16 days ahead of launch.

Latest rumored number from a9vg:
BAzmXtz.png

I have no idea how they confirmed offline and MS online store numbers.
Again, chart does not include all retailers. Amazon, 5 star, wal-mart, etc #s are not available.

Interesting I doubt it will be a huge market for the XB1, but these sales are relatively promising .

Chobel

People are confused or/and not really looking or paying attention so let me break this down for you:

First of all, population has nothing to do with anything.Especially in a country with many districts that are near or at poor class and/or harsh working conditions and/or hours. This
APplies to in the bigger cities as well some of it.

2nd, one B tierish popular store having 16k preorders is pretty good. I would say at the least 20k or more will be sold at that one store alone. It also seems like China likes kinect atleast off assumption of the preorder figures above. There are still stores we don't know any numbers to. If the others show similar numbers I would say its 100k plus out the gate alone. Could be even more!.

Its interesting how MS's "vision people don't understand" did not get to China or at least so it seems. It appears ms messaged the device better in China and they "seem" to be interested in it. Could be an advantage.

The real question is how will it do after launch. It at least appears they are treating China more as a tier 1 or 1.5 country so I think they will publish the same big games and features over there tier 1 countries usually get.

Id put my guess by Jan 1st the lowest they may get is around 400k, with the highest maybe around a million if they actually push the console after launch. We will see what they will do over there.

LOL! The lowest is 400k? What the hell are you smoking?

Only 16k XBOs? Holy crap.

It's only one retailer.

Only 16k XBOs? Holy crap.

No, an estimated 100k~ pre-orders for launch. 16k is just one retailer.

No idea if that's a bad/good number (by console standards), because MS is the first one out the gate as far as official console launches in the era of pre-orders are concerned.

Sharpeye

And probably China sales will be impossible to track...

Doesn't NPD have an Australian branch? I imagine if sales are good in china for both MS and Sony then NPD might try to expand there as well. But that's just wishful thinking, but there's a good chance we'll get updates from Sony and MS themselves about how China is performing. It is a new market after all so just give it time.

Toemon

Banned
For console gaming to catch on in China, ( aka have relevance in the market-place ), it needs to have a growth of over 200-500% annually to match and not be dwarfed out by the meteoric growth of PC/Mobile in the gaming space.

I'm not saying consoles won't have a niche in China, but catching on is a hilarious statement. It's like saying Vita will catch on in America.

Well vita was never advertise so that doesn't count :). Maybe if they used that markus kid again.

statham

It seems everyone in this thread thinks this is great or terrible.

I think its great, and with xbox launching first should help. With them mostly playing Mobas/FTP I don't think they will care much about the graphics difference, so its more like who has the games they want. Smite and Neverwinter is a nice start. but they need to grab a huge get.

Chobel

When did I say guaranteed?

You said "Id put my guess by Jan 1st the lowest they may get is around 400k, with the highest maybe around a million if they actually push the console after launch" ---> 400K<End of year sales<1 million

So why do you think 400k is lowest they will get?

Smite and Neverwinter is a nice start. but they need to grab a huge get.

They actually seemed to have a decent amount of chinese developed titles coming to the system although whether that translates to sales and whether they're actually games people in the region would want to buy who knows.

It seems everyone in this thread thinks this is great or terrible.

It's neither. It's promising maybe, but China isn't going to be doing much saving. What is good is that MS is getting their foot in the door (as are Sony, not sure about Nintendo). That way they'll be ready for whenever China actually becomes relavant. As of now the only thing that can "save" them is taking back NA and pulling a resurrection in Europe

Guymelef

They actually seemed to have a decent amount of chinese developed titles coming to the system although whether that translates to sales and whether they're actually games people in the region would want to buy who knows.

Games that they are playing on PC for months.

Toemon

Banned
You said "Id put my guess by Jan 1st the lowest they may get is around 400k, with the highest maybe around a million if they actually push the console after launch" ---> 400K<End of year sales<1 million

So why do you think 400k is lowest they will get?

Because I "guess" they "may" push the console. During the next few months, and Nov, Dec especially, they, if they do push it, will have big releases and promotions that will probably easily have it at 400k by the end of the year possibly.

They are possibly getting 100k at launch alone as is. The bestv features will probably have updates rolling out as well. If this go good word of mouth could be a factor as well.

Like I said, as far as we can assume from pre orders and deals upcoming posted in this thread MS appears to be treating China like tier 1.

Of course it could sell 1k on launch day out of nowhere and flop but thats much more unlikely. You see.

Honestly, other that bringing over some big upcoming games, some bestv features, and maybe having a few game deals, I dont think they need to try too hard for 400k. It will be next year that is the real challenge.

Physalis

Neo Member
I was just reading the pre-order questions and comments. Apparently there are only 4 games available for it as the government hasn't quite ok'd the rest.

They are: "neverwinter Online", Star Golf (HotShots Golf?), Forza 5, and Kinect Rivals.

From this comment: &#24744;&#22909;&#65292;&#30446;&#21069;&#23448;&#26041;&#24050;&#30693;&#30340;&#28216;&#25103;&#21253;&#25324;&#12298;Kinect&#20307;&#32946;&#31454;&#25216;&#12299;&#65292;&#12298;&#26497;&#38480;&#31454;&#36895;5:&#24180;&#24230;&#26368;&#20339;&#31454;&#36895;&#29256;&#12299;&#21450;&#12298;&#26126;&#26143;&#39640;&#23572;&#22827;&#12299;&#12298;&#26080;&#20908;ONLINE&#12299;&#12290;&#24863;&#35874;&#24744;&#23545;&#33487;&#23425;&#26131;&#36141;&#30340;&#25903;&#25345;&#65292;&#31069;&#24744;&#36141;&#29289;&#24841;&#24555;O(&#8745;_&#8745;)O~

And this site, Suning.com XboxOne page

Makes me wonder if those 4 are going to be able to do anything for the sales of the 16k consoles.

Sarobi

Banned
It's neither. It's promising maybe, but China isn't going to be doing much saving. What is good is that MS is getting their foot in the door (as are Sony, not sure about Nintendo). That way they'll be ready for whenever China actually becomes relavant. As of now the only thing that can "save" them is taking back NA and pulling a resurrection in Europe

Why exactly do they need saving?

Well, the most popular games in China right now ( League, WoW, DNF, Hearthstone, Crossfire, DOTA2, Guild Wars 2, B&S, etc ), many of them are American/Korean games.

Games that they are playing on PC for months.

Actually they are doing more than just releasing late PC ports. They've partnered with some local Chinese publishers who are working on games such as Gamebar and Yingpei and they also have a Kinect title in the works called Tai Chi. All of these are supposedly exclusive to Chinese XB1s. Obviously, I'm not insinuating that these will be system sellers to a predominantly PC+mobile market, but they're doing more than what you're suggesting.

In regards to console sales figures in China, don't know if they'll actually try to track them, but there's a few places analysing the performance/trends/install base of the gaming market in China.

Luke_Wal

I know that most people on Gaf hate Arthur Gies with a burning passion, but he had a really good rant about a month ago on Rebel FM about why he believes the Xbox One will do better than the PS4 in China, and he raised a lot of really good points I'd never thought about, like China's current hatred towards Japan reducing purchasing of Japanese goods. I'll be interested to see if that's how this plays out.

I know that most people on Gaf hate Arthur Gies with a burning passion, but he had a really good rant about a month ago on Rebel FM about why he believes the Xbox One will do better than the PS4 in China, and he raised a lot of really good points I'd never thought about, like China's current hatred towards Japan reducing purchasing of Japanese goods. I'll be interested to see if that's how this plays out.
What other comments did he have, because that hatred towards Japanese thing is nonsense.

down 2 orth

China's hatred of Japan doesn't stop them from purchasing Japanese goods like it's nobody's business. Chinese consumers know a good thing when they see it, and Japanese products have a reputation for being top quality. Every city here is flooded with Japanese cars and appliances.

Japan exports more to China than they do to any other country... so Gies is just being his normal self.

Iike China's current hatred towards Japan reducing purchasing of Japanese goods. I'll be interested to see if that's how this plays out.

What an ignorant statement.

In the camera space, it's practically a Japanese monopoly. When it comes to televisions, although local products are favored, Samsung, Sony and Sharp are the big three foreign brands in TV space. Uniqlo is the biggest and fastest growing fashion retail brand in China, doubling that of H&M and Zara. Nissan/Toyota are doing well in China.

Did the boycotts and all that nonsense affect Japanese sales? Definitely. Will the 'hate of Japan' reduce purchasing potential of Japanese goods? Of course.

But without an actual understanding of the Chinese culture, and how the population respond to these kind of issues, it's nothing more than a lame duck's armchair analysis.

Tell Arthur Geis to go and live in China for six months, and then ask him how prevalent Japanese brands there are.

Tldr; people without any understanding of China outside of reading news articles on websites should shut the fuck up. Dreamgazer, zhao3gold, American McGee and down to orth are 100x more reliable than Geis ever will be when it comes to China.

They really need to put in WOT on the One. Should've been announced last E3.

If they're serious about the Chinese market, they should honestly let go of their stupid no PC cross-play rules.

FFXIV is doing pretty well in China, as well. Not as good as WoW or GW2, but it maintains itself on the most-played chart pretty well for a sub MMO.

Bsigg12

So if those charts are true, they've presold through 100k of their first 500k that the Chinese government is allowing them to sell. Not bad for having a crazy ass mark up because of where they're at.

blakep267

So if those charts are true, they've presold through 100k of their first 500k that the Chinese government is allowing them to sell. Not bad for having a crazy ass mark up because of where they're at.
It's 5 million

And they're is a mark up because they're including Forza,powerstar golf, never winter and 6 months of live

Top Bottom