• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Dev’s Xbox Struggles May Show How Game Pass Is Already Changing Games -Vice

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
So contrary to what was claimed gamepass doesn't boost sales, I'm glad it has been corrected.
Shockingly not every game will have the same results.
Smh some of you lack reading comprehension? It's obvious what he's saying. Because gampass is heavily engraved into Xbox customers, games like this don't stand a chance of making money unless they get paid to be on gamepass by MS, hence why hes saying Gamepass or bust.
Since nobody is buying the game on Xbox they see no reason to waste their money updating it .
Except your missing the part where no one is buying it on PlayStation either.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Shockingly not every game will have the same results.

Except your missing the part where no one is buying it on PlayStation either.
That's not what the numbers show, it has sold at least 30% more on playstation despite being on ps+ (which have eaten most of the sales and that are not counted here look at the graph about ps+ ratio and gamepass ratio)Furi without counting the ps+ sales was at 5% for Xbox, now let's use what happenned with Haven where it is the other way around(meaning the game being on MS service and not ps) then Ps was at 20% so a fifth of the total game revenue....
And all that is also offset by the initial funding, ps+ funding a third of Furi and gamepass funding a fourth of Haven those are essentials for game devs, oversimplifying it means that they need to sell respectively 30 and 25% less than needed across all platforms.
So I can totally understand how financially it is not viable for them to port to a little part (less than 5% according to the graphs) of their audience without at least gamepass funding.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Great thing about the Gamepass App is, there is section titled 'Recently Added'. Every new game added to Gamepass so far will appear on that list. The section is really easy to find, it's almost one of first things you come across. Appearing on that list alone is good exposure. And I bet developers are not charged either for it.

Totally. Its not like Microsoft can play kingmaker to every dev and every product they make - it's just business. They need to look after the interests of themselves and their user-base, so they'll spotlight what they feel to be the freshest content.

I feel like people are making way more out of this than any of the parties actually involved.

Restructuring the sales/publishing environment to the extent that switching to Gamepass does is inarguably going to have consequences. That's just the reality of business, and in business opportunities open and close all the time.

Just because either or both parties can't make a deal work isn't implying fuckery is going on!

Hendrick's

Yep 2% of the total sales but that 2% more represent an increase of 40% of sales(here's the math 2% of all sales deducted of 5% of all sales is 40% ...check the numbers 2/5*100 it means that 2 is 40% of 5.
You would be great in PR. 7 vs 5 % of total sales is not enough difference to make this articles point make any sense. It sold horribly on both platforms.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
You would be great in PR. 7 vs 5 % of total sales is not enough difference to make this articles point make any sense. It sold horribly on both platforms.
You may not be familliar with maths because selling 40% more despite having a service that canibalized most of the sales is a good thing( when I say most of the sales it is because 78% of games downloaded were on ps+), so it does makes sense to release a dlc where 83% of the people that downloaded the game are....Way more than where 5% are.
It is not PR it is pure logic...I will help you visualize it better, let's say the game sold a total of 1 000 000 (it is simply to help the math)...Then without counting ps+ the game sold 70 000 on ps and 50 000 on xbox that is a substantial heads up of 40% but then with the release of a dlc you are talking to the whole number of people that possess the game....That's 830 000 vs 50 000....Maybe one platform is worth devloping the dlc for and the other not so much....
That is without talking about funding if MS had accepted (I totally understand why they haven't but let's imagine)and had funded its coming to gamepass let's say exactly like they did with Haven so founding a fourth of the game...Then the devs would have no give any second thoughts and ported the dlc without any problems, because financially it's like their sales skyrocketed (funding would've garantedd at least a 25% of total expenses even without selling 1 game anywhere.

Edit: I made a slight mistake since I used xbox sales instead of ps sales ....So 85% and 850 000 vs 50 000

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned

What about the fact that 85% of the possible DLC buyers are on PlayStation due to the game being on PS+?

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
The game just has major issues.
But why?
It's a cross of Visual Novel and 'walking simulator' (and at no point it pretends to be anything else), with mechanics/visual inspirations from the likes of Journey/Flower.
I get these types of experiences aren't for everyone but even complainers don't usually call them 'games with major issues'. It executes on the above comparably well to the more celebrated IPs in the same genres too.

That aside - having completed the game on GP, it does make for little incentive to go out of the way to buy it on another platform (there's no way in hell I'm ever buying a game on Microsoft Store on PC). But that's the case for any rental-service release IME.

But why?
It's a cross of Visual Novel and 'walking simulator' (and at no point it pretends to be anything else), with mechanics/visual inspirations from the likes of Journey/Flower.
I get these types of experiences aren't for everyone but even complainers don't usually call them 'games with major issues'. It executes on the above comparably well to the more celebrated IPs in the same genres too.

That aside - having completed the game on GP, it does make for little incentive to go out of the way to buy it on another platform (there's no way in hell I'm ever buying a game on Microsoft Store on PC). But that's the case for any rental-service release IME.
The copy and pasted environments for one. Journey is a visual feast since it has light gameplay. This isn't. I still actually enjoyed the game though but think its overpriced.

Hendrick's

What a bizarre way to try to hit gamepass.
It's a great service that continues to be successful, so you need to really stretch reality in order to conjure up a negative click bait article.

Last edited:
You may not be familliar with maths because selling 40% more despite having a service that canibalized most of the sales is a good thing( when I say most of the sales it is because 78% of games downloaded were on ps+), so it does makes sense to release a dlc where 83% of the people that downloaded the game are....Way more than where 5% are.
It is not PR it is pure logic...I will help you visualize it better, let's say the game sold a total of 1 000 000 (it is simply to help the math)...Then without counting ps+ the game sold 70 000 on ps and 50 000 on xbox that is a substantial heads up of 40% but then with the release of a dlc you are talking to the whole number of people that possess the game....That's 830 000 vs 50 000....Maybe one platform is worth devloping the dlc for and the other not so much....
That is without talking about funding if MS had accepted (I totally understand why they haven't but let's imagine)and had funded its coming to gamepass let's say exactly like they did with Haven so founding a fourth of the game...Then the devs would have no give any second thoughts and ported the dlc without any problems, because financially it's like their sales skyrocketed (funding would've garantedd at least a 25% of total expenses even without selling 1 game anywhere.

Edit: I made a slight mistake since I used xbox sales instead of ps sales ....So 85% and 850 000 vs 50 000

What about the fact that 85% of the possible DLC buyers are on PlayStation due to the game being on PS+?
Unfortunately clowns only know maths when it comes to the price of happy meals.
It's a great service that continues to be successful, so you need to really stretch reality in order to conjure up a negative click bait article.
See he's moved onto promoting his favourite product, than reply to you.

Top Bottom