• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One month later, what are your final thoughts on RE2 Remake and Kingdom Hearts 3 ?

Which game did you enjoy the most ?

• Resident Evil 2 Remake

Votes: 37 75.5%
  • Kingdom Hearts 3

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • [ insert * both is good * meme ]

Votes: 5 10.2%

• Total voters

Raph64

It sure is rather surprising to see time fly so fast, and as we set to enter the month of March ( which already is since today’s the 1st of March ), let’s take a look back at the month of January, which can already be considered as one of the biggest months in gaming in recent times as two of the games released in the period carried all the spotlight : RE2 Remake and Kingdom Hearts 3.

It’s no surprise that these two games were very highly anticipated by the gaming community alike. The first one was a modern reinventing of one of the greatest horror games of all time, that successfully managed to blend in ancient and modern aspects for the pleasure of both veteran games and new gamers who yet played this game. I’m, of course, speaking about Resident Evil 2 Remake.

10596_resident_evil_2_main_8bd79736ec3d249e9007668fe2ffd5b7.jpg

The second one is a game that was long awaited for 15 years following the release of the previous mainline entry, and not just any game. Kingdom Hearts 3’s the deal here. You know, the odd combination of the worlds of Final Fantasy and Disney where you play as someone who holds a giant keyblade and goes on to defeat the dark souls with Goofy and Donald. Yeah, it’s this game. And Kingdom Hearts 3 is the epic final chapter of the Xehanort arc, concluding a series that existed for almost two decades now.

XFJPepa.jpg

These two games alone already made January the biggest month of the year in gaming, but one month later, did the games lived up to the hype ?

Feel free to share your thoughts on these games. What exactly was good ? What exactly was bad about those games ? Did you enjoy, or did you feel frustrated about it ? In the end would you recommend these games to someone, or do you feel like it was not worth the wait to justify those games as recommended purchases ?

As someone who never brought Resident Evil 2 prior to its original release, nor brought in all the dozens of Kingdom Hearts entries and spin-offs, I’ll be eagerly looking forward to your opinions. :)

P.S. In 2 days the Switch will already celebrate its second birthday, I will definitely make a thread about it, so stay tuned :messenger_winking:

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I highly enjoyed both and both met my expectations. But if you ask me which one gived me more satisfying experience based on gameplay I have to go with RE2Remake.

Last edited:

Raph64

On sidenotes I voted for RE2 Remake since I watched gameplay livestreams of it and... well, it’s look so good :messenger_open_mouth:

Verdanth

KH3 got my vote. Met my expections except difficulty wise. Bad choice from SE to not launch the game with critical mode.

The game is way to easy.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Can I answer if I only played one? 'cause Kingdom Hearts is whack, but that RE2 remake is still on my mind. I'm thinking of going back for another playthrough.

Danjin44

KH3 got my vote. Met my expections except difficulty wise. Bad choice from SE to not launch the game with critical mode.

The game is way to easy.
Well the critical mode in KH is not as simple as hard difficulty in other games.
https://gematsu.com/2019/02/kingdom-hearts-iii-critical-mode-free-and-paid-dlc-in-development
It’s not about simply changing the numerical value to be stronger, we’re readjusting and debugging. Rather than just making it more difficult, we’re making adjustments to pinpoint a level of fun unique to Critical Mode.
I’m guessing this biggest reason why it wasn’t in the game from the beginning.

Last edited:

The Shepard

My vote goes to Resi 2, I enjoyed it from start to finish both scenarios, one of my fave games of the gen. Kingdom hearts 3 was enjoyable but had some boring parts which was a chore to get through and the story is bat shit crazy to understand. I'm hoping Kingdom hearts 4 has its own self contained story. I'm also hoping for Resi 3 remake.

Danjin44

Glad to hear that, but still, base KH3 should have been harder.
To be fair, this was true with original KH2 release. That game was also very easy even on proud difficulty, the only difference here is we are going to get the extra stuff trough update or DLC instead of buying another copy for Final Mix version.

Last edited:

GenericUser

I can't comment on KH3 because I didn't play it, but RE2 was and is a truly great game. It surpassed my expectations by a huge margin and I deeply respect the amount of blood, sweat and tears that the devs must have put into the game. It's hard for me to think about another game that is as well paced and designed as RE2. I am a huge fan of the original and I expected a game that is more or less a loveletter to the original and what I got was a game that is even better then the original in many many ways.

The whole RE2 remake dev team showed an incredible understanding of what made the original game good and went above and beyond it. To me, Director Kazunori Kado and his team are on the same level as Shinji Mikami and his team that developed RE1 back in the day. It fills me with joy and confidence, that these people are the ones who are probably going to develop RE8. I hope the remake sells a couple of million more to give the right signals to capcom. Speaking of which, props also go out to capcom. It was a brave step to greenlight the Re2 remake. It could have gone wrong so incedibly easy that I personally would not have dared to touch that legendary game.

Mr Hyde

Only played RE2 but it was a great game, true to the spirit of the original. It was a return to form for the classic RE-formula, which Capcom kinda dived back into with RE7, and it was a game full with tense encounters, bloody disgusting monsters and some fun B-movie cheese action. Mr X added a new level of fear (and annoyance) and with him coming back wrecking ruckus in such an entertaining way, it will be interesting to see what Capcom has in store for us when they unleash the Nemesis in true next gen-fashion.

RE2 played like it was 1998 again and it was refreshing to see Capcom having the balls to bring back what many deem dated gameplay, and execute their vision with grace and transform the old-school recipe for survival horror to a new audience. The only thing I didn´t like was that Capcom had to be Capcom, and removed the classic OST just so that they could sell it as DLC. That is just complete bullshit, but since the game in return is so well made and otherwise complete from start to finish, with many games today being a fucking train wreck at release, I´ll let that slide for once. The classic OST brings a lot of atmosphere to the game and I have forgotten just how good it is, setting up that classic Resident Evil 2-feel.

RE2 comes right out of the gate swinging for that GOTY-championship belt. Considering how well made it is, I will not be surprised if it ends up winning a lot of those awards, as the game has already captured the hearts of us players. It deserves every bit of praise it recieves and then some, because looking at the state of the video game industry today, a game like RE2 is more important than ever, and I´m happy it´s doing great sales wise.

Last edited:

IKSTUGA

Played both, enjoyed RE2R way more. KH3 was my first KH and I can already tell the series isn't for me, way too whack. I did enjoy the disney parts though, I actually ended up watching Tangled after beating the game :D. But yeah RE2R was great. I think I still prefer the more action-oriented style from 4 and 5, but 2R is definitely a nice hybrid. I'm hoping they'll give RE3 similar treatment.

Daymos

They both seem to be exactly what I was expecting and I didn't buy either. Plenty of other games to play though so I'm not upset in the least.

Ten_Fold

RE2 was overall more fun, I’m glad to finally get KH3 but it feels like a big let down maybe once the dlc comes it could be better.

The Snake

RE2 for sure. Everyone else has given their reasons for how great an experience it was.

I'm enjoying KH3 but it's a slog sometimes. It could be because I don't give a damn about Frozen et al.; the world choices (catering to upcoming sequels) and lack of FF characters reek of Disney interference to me. Just about everyone who bought KH3 is a bitter 20's or 30's-something who just want to finish a series that started when we were in grade school., and only babies have any nostalgia for Frozen and Tangled. Give us worlds with some substance. Make us feel the magic from our childhood. I feel nothing for the Frozen world except annoyed.

peronmls

Kingdom hearts 3 is a huge disapointment. It’s like half the content of KH2. No FF characters. No one on one humanoid fights besides Davey Jones. No colosseum. No new original worlds to visit. Only die hards can enjoy this and are blinded by its gross story and not charming script. It’s playable. 6/10 never buying a KH game again. Long live KH1 and KH2.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Resident Evil 2 exceeded my expectations. My only complaint was not having a 1v1 fight with the
Alligator
. I really enjoyed it and I'd love to have more games like this from Capcom.

Kingdom Hearts III was good, but I have a few issues with it. I didn't really care for the long, drawn out cutscenes. The lack of Final Fantasy character and hidden bosses. There were two worlds I just didn't like. I would have taken Halloween Town over Big Hero 6. I really liked the first half of the game and then the last part. I had fun with it, but the only real thing I got out of it were the boss fights. It makes me want to replay Kingdom Hearts II for the hidden bosses and Halloween Town. I really enjoyed the last part of Kingdom Hearts III. I didn't mind Frozen, but parts of it were of a movie I've seen over a 100 different times. I've read children's Frozen books that summed up the story with 7 pages. Its been cooked one too many times.

Ryu_Joestar

Both of them are pretty goddamn good, hoped that Kingdom Hearts III had a higher difficulty but it seems Critical Mode is on it's way and RE2 is scary af (especially with lights out, damn Mr. X)

Last edited:

fallingdove

Love Resident Evil 2 remake, I have played through the game a few times now. Really impressed with how they managed to capture the essence of the original but update the visuals and gameplay in meaningful ways.

Kingdom Hearts 3 was a big disappointment for me. Tetsuya Nomura really needs to have his importance at Squareenix reeled back in. He is a below average director and needs to stay far far away from story/scenario writing in the future. The worlds definitely improved over previous entries and the combat had some cool adjustments made to it, but for me, these didn’t offset the myriad of issues that the product (as a whole) had.

Barnabot

I've kept my expectation about Resident Evil 2 in check and I got surprised still. But I don't know about the other one as it won't come to PC.

Z O N E

Resident Evil 2.

Kingdom Hearts 3 was absolutely easy for me personally even on the hardest difficulty and overall it was just not that good.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I didn't play either one, but was impressed with the RE2 remake from what I watch on Twitch. Not so much on KH3. the game just isn't for me. Not much into Disney and the mashup just doesn't click for me.

Top Bottom