• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Month of PS4 sales in China beats 8 months of Xbox One sales (Rumour)

ZhugeEX

Banned
2222_zpstunyvdwi.jpg

in b4 1% of China

Chinese Media today reported that first month of PS4 sales have already exceeded total Xbox One lifetime to date figures in the country.

The PlayStation 4 launched on March 20th 2015 and in the past month has sold 73,000 units to end users through online and retail. According to Sunning (retailer), retail sales account for 20% of total sales with the majority of sales coming through the online store.

The PS4 was unlocked from launch which allows Chinese gamers to play China approved games but also import other titles yet to be released in China. When it comes to official games the console was bundled with King of Wushu and Mr Pumpkins adventure as free games. Dynasty Warriors 8 with Xtreme Legends is the number one selling game at the moment for PS4 with over 42,000 units sold to date. A rumour states that total sell in for the PS4 has exceeded 130,000 units.

The PS Vita has sold more than 21,000 units to end users. It has proved to be popular with a number of games such as Final Fantasy X exceeding 12,000 units.

The Xbox One launched in September 2014 across more than 4,000 retail locations in 37 cities throughout the People’s Republic of China. Microsoft were quick to confirm that they had already sold in 100,000 units and repeated this number again at the end of the year to show that they had a stronghold in the country. However the media have revealed that only 71,000 units have been through to end users after 8 months on the market. Thus, the PS4's one month of sales has already exceeded Xbox One Lifetime to date in the country.

IDC estimates that total sell in for PS4 and Xbox One will be under 1 million in China by the end of the year with the PS4 ahead.

This chart shows 8 months of Xbox One sales and 1 month of PS4/PS Vita sales.

1_zps2vsse6p6.jpg

Source

It seems that only one news outlet is reporting this and there doesn't seem to be a source other than "Chinese retailers/media". So please file this under rumour. However the numbers do make sense based on what I've been hearing. No doubt the PS4 will continue to extend the lead over Xbox One and is reported to be selling 4x as much as the Xbox One at this time across all sales channels.

Please note that these numbers do not account for grey import consoles/games which account for a number of units as well. For example GTA5 is being bought in China on grey market even though it's banned. You won't see official sales figures for it but it still sold something. Same with imported PS4's.

Please see my China PS4 launch thread for more info.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Is this a meme I missed?

Yes it is.

Someone was going on about how 1% of the population of China is 13 million and so the Xbox One needed to sell to just 1% to outsell PS4 worldwide.

The reality is that sales will never be that high in China.

Kudo

Guess it was worth it bringing PS4 to China? Only good news of PS4 sales lately, happy to hear that it's doing well.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Guess it was worth it bringing PS4 to China? Only good news of PS4 sales lately, happy to hear that it's doing well.

Haha, what?

edit: I totally misread that as this was the only good news towards PS4 sales and nothing else.

Welfare

What I would like to know is how much the first month sales were for the Xbox One. Either the launch was abysmal and had "legs" or launch was good but had terrible "legs".

ZhugeEX

Banned
Didn't think this was threadworthy when I read it but because it's about China it applies:

China’s Video-Game Smugglers Are Helping Sony’s PS4

These small shops that smuggle in the games are probably not accounting for the alleged numbers but it's still a nice anecdote.

Yes, worth pointing out that the official sale figures only include games and consoles from official retailers selling the state version of the console.

Import and grey market consoles are not included.

Kieli

Yes it is.

Someone was going on about how 1% of the population of China is 13 million and so the Xbox One needed to sell to just 1% to outsell PS4 worldwide.

Was... he being sarcastic?

I hope so...

Fairly paltry but good to see it is at least reaching a decent number of people. Be interesting to see where it goes long term. Like is this 70,000+ the majority of the interested parties or will word of mouth and marketing garner some momentum in China. Hard to tell at the moment.

Yes it is.

Hahaha I remember that. It went on to different forums too.

magnumpy

so much for the 'china wont buy Japanese products' talk then I guess

no that still appears to be apt, it's just that they won't buy american products either. and given the choice, they apparently favor japanese products over american ones. we're still talking less than a fraction of 1% of the entire population in either case.

ZhugeEX

Banned
no that still appears to be apt, it's just that they won't buy american products either. and given the choice, they apparently favor japanese products over american ones. we're still talking less than a fraction of 1% of the entire population in either case.

Actually for the wealthy, foreign products such as American fashion/electronics are becoming popular.

Top Bottom