• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Compbros

Jinbei? A coward? Wtf is wrong with people
The guy who fought ace just to protect whitebeard even though he has no reason to, the guy who went straight to jail just because he refused to fight the whitebeard pirates and help ace get executed, the guy who risked his life for luffy a good amount of times and the guy who started a fucking riot against big mom without hiding it just to join luffy.

Yeah a coward.

And blackleg you disappoint me man :mad:

He literally ran away from Big Mom's roulette and just defected.

Compbros

I still can't tell if this is some ongoing sarcasm, or if people are just purposely ignoring that he avoided an obvious lose-lose situation.

It was a losing situation from the very beginning going to Big Mom to tell her he wants to leave. He knows what people that defect get but he goes to ask for her....blessing I suppose to leave. If she refused to just let him go he knows there's gonna be punishment. He runs away from the punishment and just defects anyway. The obvious thing would be just defecting without telling her but he ran away from a punishment he knew would come by his actions. He didn't oppose her to her face, he just backed out, ran away, and opposed her behind her back.

LotusHD

Banned
It was a losing situation from the very beginning going to Big Mom to tell her he wants to leave. He knows what people that defect get but he goes to ask for her....blessing I suppose to leave. If she refused to just let him go he knows there's gonna be punishment. He runs away from the punishment and just defects anyway. The obvious thing would be just defecting without telling her but he ran away from a punishment he knew would come by his actions. He didn't oppose her to her face, he just backed out, ran away, and opposed her behind her back.

Oh, so you are serious. Well then...

Lunar15

Carrot hasn't provided much to this arc at all. I don't dislike her, but Oda has a huge problem recently where he introduces too many characters without taking time to flesh out his main ones.

Compbros

Seriously idiotic.

Why? I'd legit like to know what people consider him not going through with Big Mom's punishment and defecting behind her back to be. It's all in the eye of the beholder I suppose, one could see it as him being smart and getting his way without losing anything he wasn't already losing. To others it seems like he ran away in fear of losing something important (his life, a limb, what have you). Neither is idiotic and both make sense depending on who's asked. I find that action cowardly.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Jinbei? A coward? Wtf is wrong with people
The guy who fought ace just to protect whitebeard even though he has no reason to, the guy who went straight to jail just because he refused to fight the whitebeard pirates and help ace get executed, the guy who risked his life for luffy a good amount of times and the guy who started a fucking riot against big mom without hiding it just to join luffy.

Yeah a coward.

And blackleg you disappoint me man :mad:

The honourable Jimbei Blight of the Sea asked Big Mom to leave she accepted his quest and asked him to spin a wheel. He ran away. The title Blight of the sea is well earned.

Ran away from Akainu as well.
He's an escape artist.

Ray Down

Banned

You are literally acting like someone going on away from a no win/unfair scenario makes him a coward. When all it would do is either kill him or inhibit his ability to those he promised to help.

It's literally insane to think this about a shonen action series where the main character wants to be the pirate king and his dick can stretch.

Compbros

You are literally acting like someone going on away from a no win/unfair scenario makes him a coward. When all it would do is either kill him or inhibit his ability to those he promised to help.

It's literally insane to think this about a shonen action series where the main character wants to be the pirate king and his dick can stretch.

He KNOWS how the situation could turn out, he's putting HIMSELF in a no win situation and then runs away. The thing to do would be just to join the SHs on Whole Cake and fight for them without going to Big Mom.

Ray Down

Banned
Yeah your not worth talking too.

Anyway here's the Vivi info I was searching for:

Number: 5.5
Color: White (Gold)
Animal: Dove (Discussed with her voice actor: Misa Watanabe)
Blood Type: F
Favorite Food: Curry, Pudding
Least Favorite Food: Dried Squid

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/SBS_Volume_76

She's basically member 5.5 guys, an honorable member.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
O.......kay

Sorry, lots of people in here prefer to talk about rabbit sex.

The thing with Jinbe here is that he's generally pretty honorable. Not to a fault, not in a way where he'd say "well, I guess I'll take my comeuppance and spin this wheel," he's not an idiot. He knows what will happen there. But at the same time, out of deference for being taken under Big Mom's wing, he feels it's his duty to properly resign. Or at least to let her know it's his intention.

Sure, he "pulled a pirate" and just did whatever he wanted in the end, but it's a bit of a struggle for him I think to find the line between being honorable and a scallywag. Certainly the appropriate place isn't "let her cut off my leg" though.

Ogodei

I still can't tell if this is some ongoing sarcasm, or if people are just purposely ignoring that he avoided an obvious lose-lose situation.

Pretty much. It's nice to see shonen anime occasionally lean on the idea that there's a difference between being boldly noble and being stupid.

Compbros

Sorry, lots of people in here prefer to talk about rabbit sex.

The thing with Jinbe here is that he's generally pretty honorable. Not to a fault, not in a way where he'd say "well, I guess I'll take my comeuppance and spin this wheel," he's not an idiot. He knows what will happen there. But at the same time, out of deference for being taken under Big Mom's wing, he feels it's his duty to properly resign. Or at least to let her know it's his intention.

Sure, he "pulled a pirate" and just did whatever he wanted in the end, but it's a bit of a struggle for him I think to find the line between being honorable and a scallywag. Certainly the appropriate place isn't "let her cut off my leg" though.

I understand the honor aspect of formally resigning but then he does a dishonorable thing by not accepting responsibility for his resignation. It essentially goes "I'm resigning", "okay, but only if you accept whatever punishment this wheel gives you", "no, nevermind, bye", *to Luffy* "I resigned anyway". To not be punished by Big Mom she has to think he's still under her because he either lied or just backed away.

Pretty much. It's nice to see shonen anime occasionally lean on the idea that there's a difference between being boldly noble and being stupid.

Isn't he being naive or stupid asking Big Mom permission to leave?

Red Fire

He didn't run, he refused the offer. Which makes 100% sense.

He asked big mom face to face if he may leave. She said 'yes if you try the roulette'. The roulette is a 100 % death guarantee as stated by brulee.

So if he wants to leave he has to die.

The reason why he wants to leave is he wants to join luffy and accompany him and help him achieve his dream.

If jimbei is dead he can't help anyone, and nobody gains anything from his death. It is completely pointless.

So the next best thing to do is to betray big mom and just help luffy, because fighting her would be ridiculous since nobody who isn't a monster tier big shot can win a 1v1 vs big mom. He puts himself and his crew in danger just to help luffy by starting a riot without hiding it.

He just starts a fight with a yonko when he had no problem of being in danger or anything before. This is the definition of being brave, the total opposite of being a coward.

Luffy, Bege and co. have a plan for the tea party. None of them is planning to fight big mom 1v1, they just plan to attack from ambush.
Are they all cowards now?

Compbros

He didn't run, he refused the offer. Which makes 100% sense.

He asked big mom face to face if he may leave. She said 'yes if you try the roulette'. The roulette is a 100 % death guarantee as stated by brulee.

So if he wants to leave he has to die.

I don't know if Jinbei knows this, he just gets a sense of foreboding from it. He knows he will lose something and certain death is possible. It also brings me back to why ask if, in refusing the offer, he's essentially lying which isn't an honorable thing? The offer is to spin the roulette so you can leave, he refuses which, in essence, means he's not going to leave (otherwise Big Mom would've attacked him/imprisoned him right there), but he leaves anyway. It's either a dishonest or cowardly act, both of which are heavily against Jinbei's nature.

The reason why he wants to leave is he wants to join luffy and accompany him and help him achieve his dream.

This really irks me about Jinbei's intentions to join. That's another discussion though.

If jimbei is dead he can't help anyone, and nobody gains anything from his death. It is completely pointless.

By defecting without permission he is damning Fishman Island as Big Mom is sure to take his betrayal out on the island. He doesn't know it's pointless, he just has a feeling I.E. a smell of "death and ill will".

So the next best thing to do is to betray big mom and just help luffy, because fighting her would be ridiculous since nobody who isn't a monster tier big shot can win a 1v1 vs big mom. He puts himself and his crew in danger just to help luffy by starting a riot without hiding it.

Another aspect that irks me. When it was Jinbei thinking Big Mom might let him go it made sense him leaving the group that protects FI, his crew, but by "betraying" her he put them and FI in general in danger.

He just starts a fight with a yonko when he had no problem of being in danger or anything before. This is the definition of being brave, the total opposite of being a coward.

He didn't start a fight with a Yonko, he joined a fight already happening. He backed away from his own fight/disagreement and went to help.

Luffy, Bege and co. have a plan for the tea party. None of them is planning to fight big mom 1v1, they just plan to attack from ambush. Are they all cowards now?

That's a strategy to counter the ambush already planned on them. Luffy several times has challenged Big Mom head on. A closer analogy would be Luffy telling the SHs to run from the Marines/Pacifistas/Kizaru on SA.

LotusHD

Banned

Yea... I just don't get it. But I digress.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I understand the honor aspect of formally resigning but then he does a dishonorable thing by not accepting responsibility for his resignation. It essentially goes "I'm resigning", "okay, but only if you accept whatever punishment this wheel gives you", "no, nevermind, bye", *to Luffy* "I resigned anyway". To not be punished by Big Mom she has to think he's still under her because he either lied or just backed away.

Well again, he's a pirate. He's not some paragon of justice, the sense of honor and responsibility only goes so far. He gave it a shot, got the vibe that it was gonna go poorly for him, said "well fuck this noise" and just left on his own terms.

Specifically, left to join up with Luffy and actively oppose Big Mom. So it's not like he's running away with his tail between his legs, his actions here are literally "she's not gonna let me go, so rather than be killed by her, I'm gonna get her killed." A conclusion he reached only after his initial peaceful attempt didn't go well.

Ray Down

Banned
Additional notes from the spoiler of 860:

Spoiler provider says that Katakuri looks younger than expected and his hair is short and black.
He also says KatakurI's body looks robust and his face is cool.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Additional notes from the spoiler of 860:

Spoiler provider says that Katakuri looks younger than expected and his hair is short and black.
He also says KatakurI's body looks robust and his face is cool.
who's katakuri?... the sweet comander that mad monk beat?

NSESN

Yeah your not worth talking too.

Anyway here's the Vivi info I was searching for:

Number: 5.5
Color: White (Gold)
Animal: Dove (Discussed with her voice actor: Misa Watanabe)
Blood Type: F
Favorite Food: Curry, Pudding
Least Favorite Food: Dried Squid

http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/SBS_Volume_76

She's basically member 5.5 guys, an honorable member.

Vivi and Carue are a duo, 2 x 5.5 =11. Vivi and Carue 11th members confirmed.

Anth0ny

did they explain why members of CP9 are a part of CP0? the story would have you believe everyone in CP9 would be disowned by the world government after the failure at enies lobby... last thing I'd expect is them to basically be promoted to CP0.

LotusHD

Banned
did they explain why members of CP9 are a part of CP0? the story would have you believe everyone in CP9 would be disowned by the world government after the failure at enies lobby... last thing I'd expect is them to basically be promoted to CP0.

Not yet.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
CP1-9 are controlled by the World Government but CP0 is under the direct authority of the World Nobles themselves. So the World Nobles might've saw potential in them still. Plus, you would think that unlike the idiotic Marines, the "world's strongest intelligence group" would see through Spandam's lies and realize the potential in recruiting them back into the fold. Hence Spandam's low ranking in the heirarchy now.

I remember when the 11 Supernovas were first revealed and people were doing generic speculation about which Straw Hat would defeat who in the arc

And now Their sprinkling throughout the New World to enhance the dynanism and scale of the setting is just amazing

Devil

He KNOWS how the situation could turn out, he's putting HIMSELF in a no win situation and then runs away. The thing to do would be just to join the SHs on Whole Cake and fight for them without going to Big Mom.

I'd just like to jump in to say that I totally disagree with your stance on Jinbei but I am even more baffled by the way people reply to you. "Not worth talking to", "idiotic" for stating an opinion very calmly after having to bear stupid insults? WTF is going on in here?

On topic though: Jinbei was never really affiliated with Big Mum because he really wanted to. It has always been an awkward and forced companionship for the fishmen. Actually thinking he is "defecting" already sounds wrong to me because that would imply that there was honest loyalty before. Going to Big Mum to tell her about it may have been stupid, yes, but it was not the coward's way but the more honourable one. You basically say that he should have betrayed her either way but without telling her. How would that have been less coward?

Hence Spandam's low ranking in the heirarchy now.

Although I wonder why Spandam would ever be brought back. The field agents being re-recruited makes sense (I think they were only ordered to be killed because of Spandam, who never seemed to have lost his position, being a petty asshole) but why would CP0 bother taking in Spandam? Maybe Lucci wanted to force him into a lackey position just to be an asshole.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom