• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogodei

Honestly the filler is better when they go plot-soft and more about silly antics and slice-of-life things. Compare G8 or even just the random fluff filler they did after Alabasta to stuff like the Ice Hunter arc, or even the Film Gold filler. Much like their work with Dragonball, Toei's not that good at coming up with their own stories or with making OC's, but they do have a mastery of characterization and comedic beats.

There's one filler that's the first episode after Alabasta that's just Chopper and Robin getting to know each other and it's brilliant in its simplicity, especially because Oda himself rarely gives the characters that sort of breathing room to let you learn more about them.

Veelk

Banned
I am the king of the pirates....in training
Leg is Zolo
Cloud is the Cat
Veelk is the Coward
Rebel is unfortunately Sanji
Cinidi is the mascot/pet
Sol is Crane
Gaz is Ace Ventura
Bishop is dead
Lotus is Yakuza boss

I'm the crew's best character? Oddly generous, but sure.
I honestly would have had no idea what any of this referred to if Lotus didn't quote you before you edited.

Veelk

Banned
Honestly the filler is better when they go plot-soft and more about silly antics and slice-of-life things. Compare G8 or even just the random fluff filler they did after Alabasta to stuff like the Ice Hunter arc, or even the Film Gold filler. Much like their work with Dragonball, Toei's not that good at coming up with their own stories or with making OC's, but they do have a mastery of characterization and comedic beats.

There's one filler that's the first episode after Alabasta that's just Chopper and Robin getting to know each other and it's brilliant in its simplicity, especially because Oda himself rarely gives the characters that sort of breathing room to let you learn more about them.

Why is this anyway? Why can't Toei find good writers for filler arcs?

I mean, I get the inherent limitations of filler arcs, but I would think One Piece is particularly wellsuited for disconnected, one-off stories.

Agree completely. I specially like that sanji filler where he teaches that marine boy how to cook. Just simple stuff but great character moments.

Ice hunter arc was absolute trash.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
ok hold up

how the fuck is jack alive after sinking to the bottom of the sea

He's a fishmen.

hqdefault.jpg

Dem sharkteeth.

Why is this anyway? Why can't Toei find good writers for filler arcs?

I mean, I get the inherent limitations of filler arcs, but I would think One Piece is particularly wellsuited for disconnected, one-off stories.

Filler arcs just aren't given priority. Filler arc scripts are cranked out fast and cheap by low paid writers from an outline by the head script supervisor after a quick brainstorm session in a writer's room. Any screenwriter of note would be given a much more lucrative deal like a TV special, an OVA, or a movie based on the series.

If it's a screenwriter who's worked with the franchise for awhile, they might be given the script supervisor position.

But they showed buggy's cover story as well as cobys/helmeppos

Also 1-2 episodes every once in a while is not too long is it?
Plus as I stated just simply switch to the strawhats periodically. They did it with those two cover stories the buggy one they kept going back and fourth and the coby one they started off with the strawhats

Red Fire

Plus as I stated just simply switch to the strawhats periodically. They did it with those two cover stories the buggy one they kept going back and fourth and the coby one they started off with the strawhats

Right

It's not difficult at all
It really bugs me
Don't know what they were thinking when they decided to drop them

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I'll take Robin.

Best looking, smartest, most charming? No downsides 😎

Veelk

Banned
fishmen don't get rekt by water if they eat a devil fruit?

talk about OP

They get paralyzed, but since they're fishmen, they can still drown.

Which actually doesn't really explain it. I mean, why wouldn't their lungs be paralyzed along with the rest of their body? But, you know...one piece.

Mulgrok

Just started watching the anime for this. I have to skip past any scene with yusopp because everything about him so annoying I want to punch his face any time I see or hear him. The only time I have ever felt that way about a character. Whoever designed him is truly skilled at annoying the hell out of me.

turmoil

Banned
edit. Ups this is spoilers for the fella above

Luffy was able to breathe in Arlong Park when they stretched his neck and head out of water, also when in touch with kairoseki, he is only weakened.

Just started watching the anime for this. I have to skip past any scene with yusopp because everything about him so annoying I want to punch his face any time I see or hear him. The only time I have ever felt that way about a character. Whoever designed him is truly skilled at annoying the hell out of me.

Also, his name is spelled Usopp and he is god.

Red Fire

Speaking of that, we haven't had a new one in the manga for a while since Oda keeps doing fan requests of characters doing random stuff. I think the last one was the 500 mil berri man reactions right?

Yeah. Every week before opening the new chapter I'm sitting there thinking 'NOW we will get a new one!' and then it's just another fan request. It's time oda cmon!!

~JinBae~ ♡

NSESN

Jimbe is a pirate, he doesn't have a healthy style, i would never eat him
Carrot however, has an alimentation based on healthy vegetables like carrots and ... more carrots, her meat must be much superior.

They get paralyzed, but since they're fishmen, they can still drown.

Which actually doesn't really explain it. I mean, why wouldn't their lungs be paralyzed along with the rest of their body? But, you know...one piece.

There's no contradiction. I'm not sure where you got the paralyzed part from. They simply lose the energy to be able to move. It's never paralyzed anyone otherwise people wearing seastone cuffs would suffocate to death

Veelk

Banned
There's no contradiction. I'm not sure where you got the paralyzed part from. They simply lose the energy to be able to move. It's never paralyzed anyone otherwise people wearing seastone cuffs would suffocate to death

I didn't say there was a contradiction. I just said I didn't understand. Lungs require energy like any body part, including legs and arms. If they lose the energy to move, I don't see why it wouldn't extend to everything.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I didn't say there was a contradiction. I just said I didn't understand. Lungs require energy like any body part, including legs and arms. If they lose the energy to move, I don't see why it wouldn't extend to everything.

Because it doesn't.

Ever do so much physical activity that you can barely even move? Did your lungs shut down? Come on. Physical weakness doesn't mean organ failure.

Veelk

Banned
Because it doesn't.

Ever do so much physical activity that you can barely even move? Did your lungs shut down? Come on. Physical weakness doesn't mean organ failure.

I've done enough physical activity where I felt I could barely move, but I still could. I would have to look it up to be sure, but if a person was ever exhausted to the point where they literally could not move their bodies, I would say some kind of organ failure is probably within possibility.

I don't want this so spiral into a big debate. Of everything that doesn't make much sense about OP, this ranks pretty low on the list. It's not even any kind of problem or contradiction. It's more of just a question of "Why is it like this?"

Which is a question I know I'm most likely never going to get the answer to, but I can't help but ask it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom