• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One year later, how is World of Warcraft: Legion?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It's been about a year since WoW's latest expansion hit. I played for a good two months, but then the grind got to me (and I got sick of being kicked from parties for being new to a dungeon as a tank), but it did seem like it would be a lot of fun. I had a Paladin, and I loved the alts I played, although the leveling system was extremely unfriendly to alts, even if each class had its own unique storyline.

"Why not ask this in the WoW community thread?" You might be asking. Well, I think there's a few reasons a question like this should get more exposure:

-Warlords of Draenor soured many people on the game with its terrible, terrible post-leveling content and release schedule, even if its "campaign" (leveling) was fantastic. The alternate universe story was also pretty weird, and very rushed and poorly told.

-Legion has been seen as a return to form after the mixed receptions to Cataclysm, Pandaria, and WoD. Not only from a gameplay perspective, but also from a story and atmosphere perspective - there's lore being told based on old plot threads from all the way back in Warcraft 2, the Legion is back, we're learning about new lore such as the Army of the Light and the Void Lords - it really feels like a proper continuation of the Warcraft story we saw up through Wrath of the Lich King. Combine that with the hyper lore-centric artifact weapons and class quests, and you've got one hell of an expansion for Warcraft fans.

-Legion was praised highly at launch, so many old vets who never tried it out might be curious how it's fared since then. The same goes for people who dropped it shortly into its life.

Would any WoW players like to weigh in? Is there any reason to play Legion over, say, Stormblood? Are Frost Death Knights still horrible, and Fire Mages still OP? How are Demon Hunters now?

Basically what I'm asking is this: is Legion still good?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I've recently wondered how Legion has been doing subscriber-wise... when do we get the latest update?

wow-subscriptions-historical-2005-2015.png

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
didn't they (ATVI) stop reporting subscriber numbers?

Edit: Just checked, yeah, they did - at 5.5M in 2015
Wow. So how are we supposed to judge subscriber numbers nowadays for the game? Impossible?

I resubbed bout a few weeks ago been having a lot of fun on my ret pala with raiding now up to 904 ilvl.

I tend to take breaks so I played at launch of the expansion and stopped for a while.

I’ve played wow since it launched here in the uk. But I take breaks an play as an when I feel. One of the best mmos to date still.

Tho Ultima Online is GoAT to me.

revyb

Neo Member
I had to drop it halfway through the year. I raided Emerald Nightmare, not super hardcore, but consistently, and it just became too much. They went to the opposite extreme from Warlords, going from not nearly enough to do to SO MUCH TO DO, whether you're a raider or not. I don't know if that's been toned down since, but I just was so tired of feeling like I had to play every night to keep up.

I also, you know, wanted to play other video games. So.

Trickster

Wow. So how are we supposed to judge subscriber numbers nowadays for the game? Impossible?

Pretty much

I had to drop it halfway through the year. I raided Emerald Nightmare, not super hardcore, but consistently, and it just became too much. They went to the opposite extreme from Warlords, going from not nearly enough to do to SO MUCH TO DO, whether you're a raider or not. I don't know if that's been toned down since, but I just was so tired of feeling like I had to play every night to keep up.

I also, you know, wanted to play other video games. So.

The amount of time you needed to invest in Artifacts pretty much killed the game for me. Being a DK and having Blizzard quickly break what they had promised not to do in terms of class balance definitely didn't make quitting any harder either

Milennia

you get out what you put in effort wise

im a top end raider who took a much needed break for TOS and potentially even the rest of the expansion simply due to how much grinding is demanded if what you wish is to be competitive, and thats simply how i play the game and have for 10 years

the raiding content is good, EN mythic on launch we cleared in 4 days and could have done it in 3 if not for a strat misstep on ilgynoth since we were the first guild to see the boss and didnt think to race the inside becasue the entire instance was disgustingly undertuned

NH was good barring probably 2-3 encounters, TOV was great helya was a good boss to progress on

i was the only person in my guild to get really boned legendary wise and my main class was greatly hindered without such legendarys, thus meeting unintended and unavoidable output issues

i could live with the grinding if i had to choose 1 thing i dont like the most, between the ap grind and legendarys its not even close when i say legendarys because i was on the short end of the stick when it mattered

now people have all of them for every spec if you played at the rate myself and guild were playing along with adjustments done to drop rates and variety in certain circumstances, but i simply cannot forget what i went through, i was even number 1 in the world from expac launch to end of EN for AP totals and it meant nothing legendary wise

i had 2 before many people had 1 but my first was my only good legendary until i took my break 2 instances later

i had fun and i will be back but the time commitment for my style of play is delaying my return until i have a strong schedule behind me

actually i should add, one of the most fun things ive ever done in WoW, realm first +15 on sargeras was easily the best content i did in the expansion for any single reason

Yoshichan

What a pity. Truly a shame since they're leading the MMO charts anyway, why be the company that only shows what you've got when you're at the peak and then disappear once it starts dropping... it's only natural for a game to eventually slow down and dip.

Syf

Banned
All they've said for numbers is it's continuing to track ahead of WoD. Anecdotally as someone who played through that content drought the game is clearly healthy one year later, it's night and day compared to one year into WoD. Content stream has been much improved and 7.3 is looking awesome. If there's one aspect that most people dislike it's the legendary system due to RNG on such vital pieces of gear, and they've refused to budge on that presumably for the rest of the expansion's lifetime. Legion as a whole has been very well received though and continues to be. Lately I've seen plenty of WoW vets say it's one of the best expacs in the game's history, and I agree. There's loads to do. The raids they've added since launch are all good and M+ system a much needed alternative method of acquiring good gear and challenging players at end game, in fact I think M+ is one of the best ideas Blizzard has had for WoW.

So to answer your question, yes, I think Legion is still good - and by the looks of it about to be better still come Tuesday.

Flintty

Legion was great at the start but once I hit max level and got sick of Suramar I quit. As a Warlock I got frustrated with not being picked for Suramar HCs, all of my friends had stopped playing and the guild scene on my realm was dead.

I'd still play if it was FTP but I'm not subbing in it's current state. Fuck me I do miss it though. Legion was an awesome levelling experience but end game was too gated and limited by the community. Cross realm fixed nothing for me.

I quit 2 months in. I didn't like the endgame at all. I hate Suramar. Whoever thought WoW needed a really bad stealth section that you have to do EVERY DAY to grind rep should be fired. Also Ancient Mana farming made me wanna kms.

I also hate the Legendary system and it's another baffling decision. This isn't Diablo.

And finally, Artifact Power was such a huge, annoying grind and timesink.

I like most of Legion, but these things made me not want to stick with it in the endgame.

I got a character to 110, found out it was a real pain to level weapons for alts, and then quit for the first time in 10 years. Apparently the patch comes out in less than a week and that is supposed to remove some of the grind for alt weapons. I may resub for the Fall/Winter.

Zzzonked

I played at release and got up to the 2nd boss of EN on mythic and called it there. Just gets way too repetitive logging on week after week to do the same thing + everyone turns into assholes in progression raiding.

I think the only thing that could bring me back to WoW would be WoW 2, though I've said that since 2007 and I always go back for a month or two every couple of years :p

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
As a casual, I resubbed recently, and it's pretty great. Flying in Legion make it so that doing world quests can be done pretty fast, playing & gearing multiple alts is actually feasible now. Just look for whatever WQ has an upgrade for you, fly there with your 280-310% flying mount, do the daily emissary quests, and you'll be at 860-870 item lvl in no time. It also make the Suramar pain in the ass travel just a bad memory now.

They also added a book that boost your alts Artifact Knowledge to 40, so you get like 10-30 millions artifact points per tokens, so maxing your traits can be done pretty quickly.

There's also the class mounts that look pretty nice, so it's nice goal to give for your alts.
What I really like about Legion is all those class specific quests. Sure, it means there is plenty of quests you'll never see unless you lvl every single classes to 110(which is an insane goal, especially if you want your main to keep up with the latest patch content), but it's still great.

The only thing I'm disappointed is how some artifact skins are pretty much impossible to get for alts, like the PVP one. It takes forever to get the base skin on a single character, so yeah... forget about getting it on more than 2 characters at best. I wish the "takes forever to get" skins would be unlocked account wide.

Flintty

Is there a GAF guild that takes cross realm players? Affli Warlock here who would consider getting back into it with the right bunch of guildies.

PrimeBeef

Pretty much

The amount of time you needed to invest in Artifacts pretty much killed the game for me. Being a DK and having Blizzard quickly break what they had promised not to do in terms of class balance definitely didn't make quitting any harder either

I play roughly 2-3 nights a week for 2-3 hours mainly raiding. Through raiding, emissaries, world bosses I was able to keep up on my main character to stay competitive in logs for my ilvl. I think most of it has been overblown because the lack of control people seem to have and the false urgency to need to finish eberything as fast as possible.

AK and AP gains were clearly stated to be an expansion long journey. That extra .5% stamina or what amounts to .02% increase in damage/healing if you put a point in a non utility trait, was never enough to make or break a fight or your parse.

Last time I looked at spec rankings they were relatively close. Of course synergies between some talents and relics on certain fights makes some shine better. This has always been the case and something that is just impossible to balance. But overall, the classes are pretty darn close.

I've always wanted to have an expansion like Legion but after I got to 110 and geared up for raiding my guild fell apart and then RL started hitting me hardcore so I quit. When Blizzard added a way to transfer gold into battle.net currency I used almost all of my gold to do that and decided to forget about WoW.

Which is sad because Legion's storyline is exactly what I wanted and it certainly seems like this is the first real proper expansion since Wrath. The next patch will take players to Argus something I and many people thought they'd save directly for an expansion itself, not to mention having freaking Kiljaiden as a tier boss instead of the expansion end boss in the previous patch.

I think Blizzard did a great job with Legion but as much as I'd like to get into it and play it also created a system where there is so much I could be doing that I just flat out didn't have time to do much of any of it and once my guild started to fall apart I really stopped being interested.

Also as much as I liked many things about the Outlaw changes, Roll the Bones was the worst piece of shit ability ever and I hope by now they either revamped it or removed it entirely.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I absolutely loved what they did with Legion, to the point where it got me to raid again after not doing so since way back in Lich King. Yet despite the amazing amount of fun I had I still ended up leaving in early January because it just felt like I was once again hitting that wall of "no fun allowed if you take even a few days off" which I just couldn't be bothered dealing with at the age of 25.

Legion is indeed a return to the former glory days of WoW minus the server identity of old. It really felt like they actually cared about all aspects of WoW from raiding to questing to PvP and the in-betweens. Having so much content was a great change to so little but it ended up just getting to be too much for me, especially trying to raid and be decent even at a casual level felt a bit overwhelming on top of keeping up my artifact.

What I would consider my biggest push to move off from WoW was that it was all too much for my time. I found that I was actually losing out on playing other games with friends and ignoring quite a lot of great titles, despite trying to balance them. That could have been because of the time-heavy constraints some of the content had but it could also have just been the MMO fatigue that's now set in to me.

zeemumu

Leveled a few characters to 110, maxed out the Nightfallen rep and finished that whole quest chain, stopped playing about a week before Nighthold launched.

I think I'll resub for the argus stuff just to see what's going on.

FeD.nL

I had a lot of fun leveling up 2 characters and experiencing all the zones when it came out. But I fell off after 2 months or so because I ran out of time to keep up. Still looking forward to the new expansion and I'm sure I'll enjoy leveling up again.

CHC

As an occasional player, I think it's been great. Mostly very high quality content, always something to do, nice aesthetics. I have a few gripes with zone design (too many "corridors" that made it annoying to navigate) but overall minor complaints, and I don't think the pure RNG legendary system is good at all, but neither of those things are huge issues for me.

Generally though, I have nothing but goodwill towards it, and I'm interested in whatever the next expansion is. My expectations for Legion were at an all time low but it's probably my most played expansion since Wrath.

Elixist

im having fun and excited for 7.3 , but i hate the paragon box system, give me my fucking grove warden! the curious coin currency could be interesting, if you could buy intersting things for reasonable amounts but its garbage 1 mount for 150 wat?

also food rng system is garbage and like someone already said skillups for professions rngs can be garbage as well. its easy to make a lot of gold which is fun and nice so you can play for "free" pretty easy i like that.

Yam's

It's my favorite WoW expansion since WotLK. I main Frost DK and and yes we're still behind most spec, but I don't care. Not being in a top guild targeting 1st world kills helps (I was during WotLK). DK's campagin has been fantastic so far (still have 4 classes to level to 110, but I don't think any other class will have such a satisfying campaign tbh).

I love almost everything about the expansion. I love the World Quest system and strongly wish FF14 would take inspiration from it to breathe life into its open world.

The fact that each class got its own campagin and mount as reward motivated me into leveling each class and replaying some characters I hadn't touched since Vanilla.

The dungeons are still relevant all this time after launch because of the new Mythic system (another thing I wish FF14 would take inspiration from).

I really enjoy the way they deliver the story too, something which WoD already did well in my opinion (speaking about the way its delivered, not the story itself for WoD). I like that they brought so many famous characters this time around across all the different class campaigns.

As for the AP grind and the legendary system. I never saw it as a hindrance. I grind AP whenever I feel like it (and unlocked all base traits across my 3 specs) and I just play with the legendaries the game give me. Again, I can see how being in a top Mythic guild would change things, but if you're not in one of those, you can just play at your own pace and be fine. At least that's how I feel.

I played a lot of Stormblood at its release as I love Ff14's world, but sadly they didn't add anything new and just released the same package as Heavensward. The game still lacks end game activities and you don't have a lot of occasion to play your "main" class a lot once you're geared. Something I don't see in Legion where I can play my main all day and always find things to do.

I cannot wait to set foot on Argus next week. The patch looks massive. I just hope they won't leave us with nothing else until the next expansion this time, but it seems like there are still other things to come after 7.3.

It was OK.

I let my sub run out right after ToS opened up and cleared it in the first night. I think I'm done until the next expansion. Just burned out on WoW again. But I got money's worth.

It's a good game. Still plays the same all these years later.

Legion has some cool things to it, like World Quests.

There is a lot of grinding, though, through really long quest chains and reputation grinds that kill the pace of the game for me. Unlocking flight made it more fun, but it came so late into the expansion that it was hard to stay interested in the game.

I liked it, but didn't love it and I'm done with it now.

Randy

It's become pretty much a single player-rpg (bit of a hyperbole, but not by much). MMORPG-developers seem to forget those two M's nowadays. I enjoyed my time with Legion, but damn, do I miss group questing, traveling to an instance, having plenty of guild and world chat and knowing pleasant and amazing people on my server/friend list.

mclem

I like it, but I'm not the most critical of people, so I'm probably not great to ask. It perhaps helps that I'm not a bleeding-edge player - in general we'll finish a given raid tier at some level of heroic progression, never troubling Mythics (as a whole this expansion we've done a little better than normal, clearing Normal difficulty of a raid before the final wing opens up in LFR, and we've just about managed to get all Ahead of the Curve achievements, although I suspect we won't for ToS), and as such there's less pressure to be absolutely tip-top at everything. When you take that away, it always feels like there's something you can do to progress, but not the feeling that you *have* to do so.

Praise:

I'd echo the people who say that M+ is fantastic. I liked Challenge Modes in principle but I had the problem that they were tuned a bit too hard from the outset, which made it tricky to get started with them. The scaling nature of M+ makes a much easier gradual entry process into the flow of the system.

It feels like there's plenty to do; I've still not touched the Chromie scenario, nor the second half of the Suramar chain, and I'll be looking forward to hitting those up when things are a bit quieter, but I also don't feel like I'm missing out as yet. I have tried the Mage Tower challenge (although haven't done so recently), and it looks like - at least as far as prot paladins are concerned - they've done a good job of making a decent solo challenge.

Criticisms:

I've been fortunate with legendaries (got my last mainspec one - the most recently-added one - just yesterday), but others in my guild have not, and there is an observable difference between people who have the optimal options available to them and those who do not.

At the point we're at right now, individual AP gains do feel a bit pointless (A big WQ would grant around 24M; my next level will come at 5.5B), but I suspect that I'm only really feeling that because I am completely devoted to a single-spec - others who run multiple specs would have less of an issue. Besides, come the patch we're opening up new AK levels anyhow.

There's been a bit of a flaw with the design of Tomb of Sargeras in that an awful lot of fights are built around soaking mechanics - Blizzard have acknowledged that that was an error. Actual fight design is still pretty good, though.

sora87

I haven't resubbed in months now, I was enjoying some of the changes to characters but I just couldn't bring myself to level them through the same shit again. Also i just don't have the time to go in on the raid stuff these days.

Apathy

Wow it's only been a year. I stopped after the hellja raid. I couldn't take it anymore. The artifact grind was horrible, the legendary rng is pure shit, and the world quests are just dailies with no like that are mandatory if you want to stay competitive.

I ended up spending my gold to but tokens and put credits into my battle.net account. Ended up with like $270 or $290 in it when it was all said and done.

Wow will always have a special place in my heart but it'll never again be what first drove me to it

Rncewind

i disagree with the most(?) here. While the gear tread mill mmos (aka all of them) are not my prefered style, legion was the best expansion since lich king imo.

There are only two critiques i am hearing, too much rng, which i agree with, and not alt friendly. Tbh. i could not give a damn about the last one and imo the design restriction to achive it fucked up past expansions. I dont want 14 characters at the same powerlevel cause that isnt a moba.

Barring a year or two in between, I did high-end raiding right up to and including Throne of Thunder, after which I quit. Came back with the launch of Legion with the intent to start raiding again. My old guild had to recruit a ton of new people due of the removal of 10-man raiding, and turns out, I can't deal with immature 18-something year old twerps.

More importantly though, I could already kind of smell it coming while sprinting to max lvl as I usually do. But once the actual grind after reaching max level came into play, it was full on there: no matter the quality of content, grinding is boring as fuck. And after having spent some time away from the game, I realize that now. I can't believe I used waste my time farming literal oodles of runecloth to get my faction rep up just so I could get a shitty mount. Makes me wish my parents were more involved in raising me.

Anyway, I lasted like a week and a half before I threw in the towel. So the moral of the story is: if you quit a while ago because you thought the game was boring and a waste of your time, that hasn't really changed.

Trickster

I play roughly 2-3 nights a week for 2-3 hours mainly raiding. Through raiding, emissaries, world bosses I was able to keep up on my main character to stay competitive in logs for my ilvl. I think most of it has been overblown because the lack of control people seem to have and the false urgency to need to finish eberything as fast as possible.

AK and AP gains were clearly stated to be an expansion long journey. That extra .5% stamina or what amounts to .02% increase in damage/healing if you put a point in a non utility trait, was never enough to make or break a fight or your parse.

Last time I looked at spec rankings they were relatively close. Of course synergies between some talents and relics on certain fights makes some shine better. This has always been the case and something that is just impossible to balance. But overall, the classes are pretty darn close.

Well when I played during the first tier. DK's were probably the worst class in the game. Both our dps specs were complete ass in most fights, and our tank spec was equally bad.

So I was already struggling to justify my spot in raids.

To keep up I had to
- grind boring daily shit for the artifact
- earn money/mats for insanely expensive consumables + enchants
- grind mythic keystones to get rng chances at good gear.
- Pray to rngesus for legendaries that decided whether you were a top dps, or a benched dps
- Do the emmisary quests
- Various rep grinds

And if you wanted a decently geared alt or two, then have fun doing several of the above points multiple times

Around the time I stopped, Frost DK's had pulled clearly ahead of UH DK's. Had I continued playing I would had to switch to Frost, and completely redo the artifact and legendary grind.

Understand that I play WoW because raids are fun. Not because I want to spend time everyday after 8 hours of work, grinding the most mindless things just to enable me to have fun a couple of hours, 2-3 nights a week

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I honestly might resub just to see Argus. Been wanting to see that since it was first mentioned in a Draenei starter quest way back in BC.

Wray

I just started playing last month after quitting in Feb shortly after Nighthold launched. The Artifact catchup mechanics made the grind almost non existent for me, so it was really easy to get caught back up. In fact I hit a wall now of not having much to do until 7.3 next week.

Raid zones and Mythic Dungeons so far have been pretty good. Current raid Tomb of Sargeras is a pretty solid raid so far. I like it. My ratings...

Emerald Nightmare - 6/10 (Good raid except Xavius was a terrible end boss)
Trial of Valor - 7/10 (Enjoy all 3 encounters. Only complaint is the reused content)
Nighthold - 8/10 (Solid raid all the way through. Cant think of any encounters I really hated)
Tomb of Sargeras - 8/10 (Another solid raid all the way through. Fighting the Avatar of Sargeras and then finally killing Kil'Jaeden was really fun!)

Been playing a Demon Hunter all xpack. They are really really fun to play. If you enjoy dps, I definitely recommend playing one.

I'm really enjoying it. Artifact weapons were a bit of a grind, but they've got great catch-up mechanics in place, especially for alts. The raids have been great. It doesn't hurt that I'm a moonkin and moonkin are the king of DPS in the ToS.

Moff

I think it's the best WoW has ever been.
Vanilla will always be my best experience because of the community, but gameplay wise, features wise, content wise, Legion has been incredibly good.
I do say that as a mostly casual player, but there is so much to do in the endgame, unmatched variety in ways to earn rewards. World Quests alone are a game changer, the best way they ever did Daily quests, no doubt. Then there are the Mythic+ Dungeons, which allow you to run harder versions of all dungeons for more and better rewards. I also loved the artifact and legendary system, which motivated me for months. All of that on top of the usual raids of course, where you can easily find pickup groups in the dungeon finder tool. They also added more zones and although the last one was lackluster, the one that hits next weeks looks very good.

Legion is the first time I stayed subbed until the last raid tier since Vanilla, they did so much right this time. I understand the frustration and pressure the artifact and legendary system bring and those features need some tuning for the next expansion, but for me as a casual they were very cool, rewarding and motivating. I hope they do keep them in some form for the next addon.

Setzer

I played a Druid to 110. Enjoyed the story content and questing through the new zone. Then I found out that Blizzard won't be carrying the Artifact weapon system over into the next expansion. Not that it surprises me or anything but I just felt like it was a waste of my time to grind AP to level up something that's going to be the equivalent of a green drop when the next xpac hits, so I canceled my sub.

From the perspective of a person who mostly plays the Free to Play/Veterans pvp bracket (lvl 20-29) it's pretty good. I think that pvp bracket overall is more balanced now than it has been in the past. I'm still OP due to getting Legion Event Warforged Felforged armor on my lvl 20 Arms warrior(I can kill mobs in the blasted lands for some indication) but without the scaling and Potion and Enchant restrictions it would have been completely unbalanced and arguable the worst for newcomers but instead I would argue this is the best this bracket been since Cata when I started playing on it.

Superkewl

Gold Member
I recently resubbed for a month, but unsubbed and uninstalled lastnight. Not just WoW, but think MMO's are no longer for me. I just dont see the point of them any more, as the end game model doesn't appeal to me like it once did and I am not much of a PVP'er.

I think the problem was that Blizz completely killed the social aspect of this game with cross-server stuff. I know people role their eyes/rose tinted glasses when we talk about the glorious vanilla days, but it truly was the best time in this game, and not because content because the game is brimming with content now , just that there is no sense of community any more.

Now, let the bashing commence...

Moff

I recently resubbed for a month, but unsubbed and uninstalled lastnight. Not just WoW, but think MMO's are no longer for me. I just dont see the point of them any more, as the end game model doesn't appeal to me like it once did and I am not much of a PVP'er.

I think the problem was that Blizz completely killed the social aspect of this game with cross-server stuff. I know people role their eyes/rose tinted glasses when we talk about the glorious vanilla days, but it truly was the best time in this game, and not because content because the game is brimming with content now , just that there is no sense of community any more.

Now, let the bashing commence...
I completely agree, groupfinder and xrealm pvp completely destroyed any sense of community.
it does have plenty advantages, though. it's a lot better for casuals and as a casual I would not play WoW today as much as I do now without these features.
vanilla still was the coolest because of the community, though.

Poppy

i just cant play wow because i find that it is impossible to like people and thus i cant find a guild i want to be in, and if you do LFR everyone is a total shit

so basically i wont be able to see the content i want to see because everyone is so utterly repellant all the time that theres no way im willing to devote my life and spend hours with them

people were assholes back in the day too but now with everything being cross realm it just seems impossible

its probably just a me problem but i have tried several times since mop and it never has worked out

also my affliction warlock was hot garbage during the beginning of emerald nightmare (my dps was fine considering the spec was weak, not like i was bottoming out the charts) and i wasnt willing to level alts after i had wasted so much time in suramar

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I've been pretty satisfied with it overall. Definitely a huge step up from WoD, and I definitely like it more than Cataclysm. They did a good job of finally keeping 5-man dungeons as end-game relevant for the entire expansion instead of the first couple of weeks. I don't even run high mythic+ often but there are still always groups doing regular mythics and low mythic+.

World quests are overall a good addition. Basically an improved version of daily quests, and very effective at their stated goal of getting people out in the world. Perhaps more than any other expansion, Legion has done a good job of keeping me out and about instead of sitting in a main city/hub waiting for a queue to pop. I certainly hang out on Dalaran less than I did during WOTLK.

Class design has been hit or miss, but with some real good hits. Balance issues aside, most of the specs are at least at a place where they are fun to play (even if it took until the most recent patch to get there.) Legion got me to spend time playing specs I never really tried before, like subtlety rogue and a few of the tank specs. Some specs were total blunders though, like demonology warlock. It's very likely to have a significant overhaul/rework come 8.0.

The Artifact Power and Legendary stuff honestly has never bothered me that much, but I guess I can see how they can be major thorns for people if you feel the need to grind out stuff as much as possible.

Trace

Banned
I feel like how they handled Artifacts was a mistake, basically it added a second grind on top of the normal grind and I just didn't have time to do it properly. Aside from that I enjoyed the zones and questing, I just didn't enjoy all the "F2P" mechanics that gave AP.

atbigelow

Been subbed to Legion since day one. I'm not a hardcore raider; hardest thing I've done is Heroic Nighthold (working on heroic Tomb of Sargeras right now).

I've enjoyed it quite a bit. There was some needed polish applied. Class fantasy was absolutely cranked up high.

There's been some mechanical missteps. Artifact research was a huge mistake; you were legitimately fucked if you didn't keep on top of it. 7.3 they are at least bandaiding it by making it scale up automatically every week. Too late to totally remove the system.

I think the idea of Artifact Power is interesting. It's something a bit more interesting than gold to give that can make a long term impact. But they had massive scale problems with it; AP is pretty much worthless for my main now. And having the research only screwed the system more.

I think the game PLAYS the best it ever has. I do not find the world of Legion as good as MOP's or LK's, however. The zone stories are not as strong and I don't feel much attachment to them. The scaling on leveling was absolutely genius, though.

I'm quite excited for 7.3 to hit on Tuesday.

EDIT: As Anoregon mentioned above, they nailed keeping five-man dungeons relevant. The mythic+ system has worked out well.

And World Quests are great, but I think they can still use a bit more iteration and dynamism to them. The way professions interact with them is also great.

I keep remembering more good improvements: profession ranks. They totally screwed cooking with Nomi, but the ranking itself is very well done.

Top Bottom