• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One year later, how is World of Warcraft: Legion?

KLoWn

It's been an awesome expansion, and if they continue like this with the next one I couldn't be happier.

Weebos

Banned
How is the main storyline and "singleplayer" stuff?

I bought the Legion collector's edition and have not launched WoW since before Legion launched.

I think I might just be done with the game after such a long time at it, but I'm always curious to dip back in.

Is there value to be had if I jump into the expansion long after everyone else has?

fuzaco

I played a Druid to 110. Enjoyed the story content and questing through the new zone. Then I found out that Blizzard won't be carrying the Artifact weapon system over into the next expansion. Not that it surprises me or anything but I just felt like it was a waste of my time to grind AP to level up something that's going to be the equivalent of a green drop when the next xpac hits, so I canceled my sub.

This is the most ridicoulus reason I heard for cancelling a sub so far. Why even level a character to 110, when it will be low when when the cap will be 120? Why grind for epic gear when they will be equivalent to green gear?

Anyway, the expansion is fine. I'm mostly a casual player, and there is a lot of stuff to do even without raiding, but it gets boring after a while, like all the MMOs. I cancelled my sub after doing Tomb of Sargeras a few times (I lose interest in raids pretty much after clearing them for the first time), but will probably come back for 7.3, because the solo content seems nice.

Setzer

I think the problem was that Blizz completely killed the social aspect of this game with cross-server stuff. I know people role their eyes/rose tinted glasses when we talk about the glorious vanilla days, but it truly was the best time in this game, and not because content because the game is brimming with content now , just that there is no sense of community any more.

Now, let the bashing commence...

I completely agree with you there. I would have preferred it if Blizzard just consolidated the low population servers rather than have this cross-server crap. I mean sure, its great going to the big cities like Stormwind, Ironforge and even Dalaran and seeing lots of players around but it's annoying when you're looking for the services of a crafter, a port from a mage or a rogue to open locked chests and come to find out they're on another server and you can't trade with them.

Squishy3

Artifacts and Suramar basically killed Legion for me, I was enjoying it until I hit 110. If I wanted to play another spec, I needed to level up that Artifact weapon, plus get the Relics to slot into it. If I wanted to play another class, I had to do the same, but also go through Suramar progression. (of which you have to grind rep and ancient mana) plus do multiple sets of world quests to keep up.

Sealtest

I've played since Vanilla and went off and on during WoD. Put almost 3 months into Legion before my final decision was they really tried but it was still the same stuff. Legendaries were poorly implemented and not having the right ones would cause you to fall behind.

Now I'm not sure if this was fixed because I stopped after clearing Heroic Emerald Nightmare and a few bosses into Mythic.

Draxal

I thought it was really good but at the same time I'm really tired of the story direction in warcraft and since the game is ancient at this point I quit 2 months after the xp hit.

Fanuilos

It's a good expansion and I've played quite a bit. I went pretty hard for 4-5 months after release but I have unsubbed one or two times and pop back in for a couple months once a content patch hits. I'm looking forward to 7.3 next week and it looks like there's a ton of story content. 7.2 was good, but the pacing was off and a lot the content was class specific it ended up feeling a bit barren. Legion is probably my most played/enjoyed expansion since WotLK.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
My wife still plays almost daily, she says that there have been a decent number of qol improvements that have really helped her do raids and get pieces of gear she was never able to get.

Zelias

Banned
I play it from time to time as a casual, as right now I don't have the time or energy to commit to a raiding schedule. Legion is good, definitely a step up from WoD, with a ton of content. Level scaling and world quests are fun additions to the game that don't necessarily stand out as major things but I would like to see expanded to the old world too. Suramar, while not perfect, was a really cool zone and the 7.1 storyline was really well done.

That said, it has its problems - some of which don't really affect me much as a non-raider, but they can be frustrating. Legendaries can make or break some specs, and are at the mercy of RNG. Artifact Power is an uninteresting grind. Order Hall missions are the same shit as Garrison missions and just as uninteresting. The 7.2 content is incredibly lacklustre - the 'Breaching the Tomb' campaign amounts to a series of kill/collect/grind quests with very little lore, and the Broken Shore itself is worse than Tanaan Jungle was, somehow. The expansion hasn't exactly been alt-friendly either, though they've made adjustments throughout the patches and 7.3 seems to be making some major ones.

Argus and 7.3 seem to be getting back on track, though.

Mupod

I played it far longer than I thought I would. Mythic+ speedruns were a lot of fun and fueled most of my drive to keep playing and improving my gear.

I don't play WoW forever though. I have other games to get through, I don't have a spare 10+ hours a week for raiding and dungeons and world quests and whatever. So as soon as I wasn't having fun anymore I called it off. Nothing against the game, though.

Anyways, they made it a bit better but I sure wouldn't want to play catch-up with reputation, artifact knowledge, raid-only quests etc at this point.

Superkewl

I completely agree with you there. I would have preferred it if Blizzard just consolidated the low population servers rather than have this cross-server crap. I mean sure, its great going to the big cities like Stormwind, Ironforge and even Dalaran and seeing lots of players around but it's annoying when you're looking for the services of a crafter, a port from a mage or a rogue to open locked chests and come to find out they're on another server and you can't trade with them.

My understanding is that trade chat(2.) is only your server and the server linked to yours, not the whole CRZ. Don't quote me on that though, just what I was lead to believe.

Hari Seldon

I made it about a month, and I only played it all because my buddy gave me and extra code since he bought a collectors edition. It seemed alright for what it is, but with no sense of community at all in the game, I'm waaaay too over the actual game mechanics for me to bother with it any more.

Setzer

This is the most ridicoulus reason I heard for cancelling a sub so far. Why even level a character to 110, when it will be low when when the cap will be 120? Why grind for epic gear when they will be equivalent to green gear?

Anyway, the expansion is fine. I'm mostly a casual player, and there is a lot of stuff to do even without raiding, but it gets boring after a while, like all the MMOs. I cancelled my sub after doing Tomb of Sargeras a few times (I lose interest in raids pretty much after clearing them for the first time), but will probably come back for 7.3, because the solo content seems nice.

I don't think its ridiculous at all. I never raided in the previous expansions because I never had the time for it. The best gear I got was usually from 5-man heroics. The artifact weapon system is a huge part of Legion, there's no getting around it. I don't find grinding enjoyable in any MMO especially with only having limited time to play. So after I completed the content with my Druid I felt like it wasn't worth my time to continue playing just to grind out AP for a weapon that would be useless going forward. I could have stuck around to do World Quests but to me those are no different than daily quests.

Thanks for making this thread. Been wondering the same thing myself as I've been considering getting back in. Played the first few months of Legion and absolutely loved it, but burned out quick once I maxed out my DK and suddenly had to go through the same process again with my pally and lock.The initial run through of the story quests and class campaign was fantastic... redoing them on an alt, not so much.

That's super disappointing to hear that the artifact weapons wont be carried on... not terribly surprising, but still disappointing as they were one of my favorite things about Legion so far.

As far as content/end game goes, it's one of the best expansions.

But wow to me is about questing/environments....zones, story, soundtrack etc.. And this expansion was the weakest in that regard for me. All the zones were pretty shitty, it was hard to get get around....recycled soundtracks...storylines were pretty lame...nothing memorable. Didn't enjoy the questing experience at all.

Zones/Story were much better in Pandaria and Wod imo.

And wpvp is non existence. I know wpvp hasn't been good in years but it was still sorta there in previous expansions.

Magnus

It's doubtless my favourite expansion. Class order halls and the variety in the levelling experience - from missions, to custom zone order and scaling, to class campaigns - has made trying out different classes a joy. I've never enjoyed levelling in end-game zones as much. There really is too much content now, at the same or better caliber than pre-Legion stuff. It's super fitting that it's happening now, with the expansion all about Warcraft's biggest and baddest enemies.

I did find a couple of the zones - Aszuna and Val'sharrah - a bit weak compared to stronger entries from the past, such as Wrath's zones and Pandaria's zones, but Suramar more than made up for it. For its couple of frustrations, it had some really high highs as far as endgame/zone-design go. Without a doubt my favourite WoW zone of all time.

Fjordson

Legion is fantastic. It's had me more engaged than any other expansion since Wrath of the Lich King, and continues to now even now. I'm super hyped for 7.3 next week.

You ask me a month or two into any expansion and I would say it's really fun, but some of them dropped off. Like Warlords. I got bored of that more quickly than I had in any other expansion prior and I never picked it up back up, but Legion has been a complete 180. I've been playing almost daily since it came out last year, again something that hasn't been true since Wrath for me.

I can't really answer about demon hunters since I haven't played one yet, but Frost DK's are fucking awesome right now. Been raiding with mine for the past two tiers and it's a blast. Unholy DK is in a great spot also (haven't played Blood).

edit: as Magnus mentioned, Suramar is one of the best zones in the history of the game. The main questline there is really impressive and that alone would be worth subbing for a month or two since it's quite long and involved.

spootime

Legion has its strengths and weaknesses. The raids so far have been fantastic. I think artifacts themselves were a really cool idea and I've liked collecting transmogs for my weapon. Artifact power was cancer before but these days its fine. PVP is fun from the little I've played.

Bad stuff: Legendaries are a truly awful system, and they don't seem to want to acknowledge their mistake. Its made it so you can't really expect to raid with an alt if you're interested in parsing well, unless you get really lucky. Even on my main I don't have the DPS legendaries I need and I've been playing a good amount since EN.

The worst part of this expac and wow in general these days is the lack of community. I've been playing on a high XP wrath private server recently and the difference really is night and day. You recognize people dueling outside SW, certain guilds, etc. There really is a sense of social identity that the current wow lacks. This is obviously caused by sharding and CRZ but those are also necessary for other important issues. Its also compounded by the fact that it feels mandatory to be using all your free time in wow to grind LFR, normal, and heroic versions of all raids to farm legendaries. I certainly don't think wow feels like an MMO anymore. I don't know what blizz can do to encourage that kind of server community and social identity in the future but I hope they try to address it in the next expansion

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I resubbed to try out Legion, boosted a Rogue to 100 and enjoyed the leveling up to 110. Then I hit 110 and the griiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiind got real old real fast. Didn't renew after my second month was up.

I find the combat in WoW to be among the best MMO combat systems, but the grind is just too much for me. Grind to get a mount, grind daily quests, grind to gear up, grind for a million other things. It was just too much for me.

I've been negative about a lot of things in the OT but overall I really am happy. I like that there's plenty to do, and if you factor in alts then you're never bored. The artifacts are great and I love collecting appearances for them. Highmountain has become one of my favorite zones in the game. The class halls and class campaigns are a nice touch despite the campaigns lacking a bit.

The various RNG things (legendaries, hidden artifact appearances, etc.), time-gated content, and lack of polish/attention to detail in areas are all things that have worn thin but not enough to push me away from the game. I'm also not a fan of elves so the focus on them has had me feeling uninterested in regards to a lot of the lore.

Still, I've had a lot of fun and can't wait to check out the content that 7.3 brings.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
How is the main storyline and "singleplayer" stuff?

I bought the Legion collector's edition and have not launched WoW since before Legion launched.

I think I might just be done with the game after such a long time at it, but I'm always curious to dip back in.

Is there value to be had if I jump into the expansion long after everyone else has?

The single player experience is fine. Story-wise the game is definitely at its strongest - not from an actual good writing perspective (YMMV) but with how the story is presented and integrated into the questing experience. Each zone has its own central story as you progress (usually including multiple in-engine cutscenes), and the the zone of Suramar itself is a very story-focused end game area.

There are also the individual class halls, each of which has their own story and some of them are quite good. I really liked the Death Knight one for example, but some of the other ones were pretty mediocre.

As for your last question, as is always the case with WoW the answer is yes. Patches always bring catch up mechanics to get you up to speed with the current content quickly. And since so much of the end-game content never truly became obsolete due to Artifact Power, there is still value to going back and checking out stuff like Suramar even after 7.3 launches.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Suramar was a God damned beautiful city. As a huge lore buff I loved it on concept alone, but the first time I flew over it I was totally awestruck. The daily quests there were very hit or miss, though. I hated the teleporting quests...

mclem

That's super disappointing to hear that the artifact weapons wont be carried on... not terribly surprising, but still disappointing as they were one of my favorite things about Legion so far.

It's worth mentioning that they've been speaking explicitly in the context of the specific weapons not carrying over. It's quite possible the basic concept of that sort of max-level progression will persist, but in a modified form.

It's by far the least time I've spent playing a WoW expansion. This was the first WoW expansion I didn't buy at launch. I eventually got it in December of last year and played for a few months. I dug it a lot at first. The level scaling and being able to choose any zone to go to right away was neat, although after a couple characters I had the same rotation for leveling. The artifact system was interesting and getting my first legendary felt great, if extremely random.

However, the farther I got towards the end game, the less I started enjoying it. I wanted to start getting into higher progression raiding, but because I got into the expansion late I was way behind in artifact power, and I started disliking the concept as I never planned to keep being subscribed full time, but still wanted to be able to be competitive in higher end progression if I came back. Then there's also the issue of some legendaries being incredibly stronger than others. Near the end of end of my 3rd month of playing, I switched mains from my Balance Druid (who was my main in WotLK) to my Elemental Shaman because of the legendaries I had on him. By that point I was getting tired of the game though and never subscribed again past that.

I also hated how the gear progression was as soon as you hit 110. I was in a small guild with people who aren't on a whole lot, and pug the vast majority of the time. As soon as you hit 110, you can't immediately jump into LFR heroics because of the ilvl requirement on them. They put it at a spot that you can not reach by just questing, even questing after you hit 110. You either need to buy epics from AH or grind a lot of world quests (which I did like the concept of). Most people had friends that would carry them in mythic dungeons to get geared so they could do heroics and LFR, but I didn't have that. By my 4th 110, I had enough. They I think adjusted this shortly after I quit but I haven't felt like coming back since.

Warlords of Draenor was the first expansion I took an extended break from (6+ months), but Legion didn't hook me anywhere near as long as it did. Overall I can't deny that Legion is better than WoD, but I'm just kind of tired of WoW at this point.

Maximus.

Too much grinding. It was a fun expansion, but the end game is such a grind. Having alts isn't fun with the additional grind (even with the AP and AK boosts). Same issues with end game being so repetitive and the general culture is so toxic with raid groups. RNG just feels wrong to me for armour. Maybe I am too nostalgic of OG wow.

sKin1337

Banned
Absolutely incredible.

As somebody who has always enjoyed the leveling experience versus the end game, this is the first time since Burning Crusade that i've actually enjoyed being at cap.

The amount of accessible content once you hit 110 is staggering. To name a few: finishing up your order hall story (unique for each class), maxing out and further enhancing your artifact power + traits, doing world quests for rep and rewards, working on the loremaster achievements for flying, farming for legion-legendaries, running mythic+ dungeons, raiding ToS with guildies, and not to mention PVP has never felt so good due to the much needed normalization. Totally love the new prestige system as well.

Legion is such a breath of fresh air. And with 7.3 hitting next week with new casting animations, Argus, a new dungeon and raid... I'm in complete awe at how fast Blizz is pumping out quality content.

Never was a big WoW-head but enjoyed it back in the day. My problem now with trying to get back into it is how the first 80 levels or so feels like an extended tutorial area.

There's just far too much content which has been utterly trivialised for me to care anymore. It's just too big.

I'd like another WoW which just wipes the slate clean.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Pretty good. Still raiding.
Also, they pretty much stopped the Artifact from mattering. Getting 52 is hilariously easy, then it goes into exponential diminishing returns and 0.1% hp\dps per point.
I'm a raidlogger, and 58. hardcore M+ farmers are 62. I can live with 0.4% less performance, honestly.

Raid release pace is incredible. I don't think we've gone as fast since tbc.

lazygecko

Haven't logged in since April now, although I haven't really "quit" for real I'd say. Will probably try to get started again for 7.3 until I get bored with that.

I like that they've added more casual stuff to do, especially PvP is a lot better than it has been for a long time now, with the new progression system, weekly brawls, world PvP quests, etc.

Class design and balance has also been a big step up and I feel like I can be more flexible and experimental with different builds. For instance I love being able to play a pure PvP support role as prot paladin and even be able to throw decent heals on others.

I don't care for the artifacts. Mainly because I think "you're the chosen one!" is such an uninspiring and creatively bankrupt method of storytelling in a MMO setting, and the whole idea of artifacts is very endemic to that more overarching problem which I feel has been getting worse in WoW through each expansion.

Class halls with the follower missions is still just the same old bullshit from WoD that ends up being more detrimental to the game experience. Having that nagging feeling that you need to maintain shit in your order hall every day just brings very negative connotations to the game for me, making it feel more like a chore than something I want to log into for the sake of having fun.

It's pretty good. I still hate the mission crap though and Legion doesn't have anything like Timeless Isle. So it's all very singleplayer, no talking.

ity. I've been playing on a high XP wrath private server recently and the difference really is night and day. You recognize people dueling outside SW, certain guilds, etc. There really is a sense of social identity that the current wow lacks.

To be honest, this is the "village effect": you know everyone because there are not many of you. In the biggest cities, people tend to form small, nuclear groups, but in villages the whole town is a small community. MMOs sort of work the same way.

To be honest, this is the "village effect": you know everyone because there are not many of you. In the biggest cities, people tend to form small, nuclear groups, but in villages the whole town is a small community. MMOs sort of work the same way.

Nah, in vanilla on full servers you still knew most people.

ViciousDS

Banned
Pretty much

The amount of time you needed to invest in Artifacts pretty much killed the game for me. Being a DK and having Blizzard quickly break what they had promised not to do in terms of class balance definitely didn't make quitting any harder either

Same, absolutely loved legion, but once I hit max the artifact investment murdered me, especially since I wanted to level Alts as well but really couldn't as easily until more time passed. But by then I had quit

Zunnyhh

Neo Member
Played and raided & cleared everything in mythic up untill the release of ToS, being shoehorned into one character if you have a regular life outside the game is what killed it for me.

I really enjoyed everything, other than AP grinding, that completely killed off alts for regluar human beings with actual lives outside the game.

TheYanger

They're bringing it very significant catchup mechanics next week with the next patch, that addresses a lot of the problems with the xpac (which it's bound to have given how different it is from past stuff). The content is hit or miss but there's a LOT of it so far. Really the only sticking point to me is the legendary stuff. Anyone that's been playing the whole time is probably fine in that regard (I barely play outside of raids and I've got every legendary for two specs) but rerolls or new players, even with the catchup speed on it, are pretty subject to RNG. Everything else is 100% fixed next week in regards to punishing catchup, but it hasn't been TOO bad aside from that anyway for a while.

Whoever mentioned suramar and 'grinding' ancient mana...idk what to tell you, Suramar has an interesting storyline, it had that one single assassin's creed world quest youcould simply opt not to do if it bothered you that much (but it's one of the easiest WQs out there and takes like 60 seconds or less, so it can't be that damn aggravating), and ancient mana takes like, minutes to cap out and always has if you knew where to look. I'm not going to say I love that mechanic - I would prefer that if they want to time gate something like that they simply gate it by time and not require me toa ctually DO shit, but it's an MMO and I get it. At the end of the day it was not a challenging or even time consuming grind, ever. It simply took a while (which is not the same thing as actively requiring you to grind).

Same old song and dance people have for vanilla noonsense. No, you didn't. Vanilla servers had FAR too many players for you to 'know' everyone. If you ran dungeons commonly you knew the other people that ran dungeons commonly at the same times as you. You know the people in guilds doing the same activities as you that you crossed over with, but you did not 'know everbody' or even a notable percentage of everybody on even the smallest of vanilla servers. Your reputation never mattered, because contrary to popular belief wow has never had any means to actually prevent someone from succeeding just because you didn't like them. This game was never EverQuest, it has always been instanced and the servers are big enough that you could always be totally fine even if everyone in the top guild hated yoiu for some reason, therefore the community was always crap because it could be. If you mean you know everyone because you were all talking in general chat - that's still there and people still do just that, your community isn't gone. There are people talking, you just haven't joined them. Because it's a 13 year old game.

SilentRob

I quit when the core plot of the expansion, Illidan's ressurection, was hidden behind a patched-in 6-month-farming quest.

I'm a pretty unusual WoW-player in that I play the game mainly (only) for its story and leveling and in that regard I found Legion to be incredibly disappointing. What I considered to be the main story before starting the game - fighting the Legion and the Return of Illidan - played little to no part in the actual game. Instead, it was several regions that had nothing to do with each other story-wise (which was necessary because you could play them in whatever order you wanted) and where the Legion was little more than a background justification for "Hey, Dude Y who was once nice is now evil because Legion!". But Gul'dan or any big players of the Legion where pretty much completely absend for the main "campaign" of the game. I didn't get at all what I though I was paying for, judging from the marketing.
And then they hide the real story progress behind dozens and dozens and dozens and DOZENS of hours of farming and raiding. Suramar was so fucking awful - you spend so many hours getting invested in the storyline only to realize that you will never actually see the conclusion because it's hidden behind ever more escalating farming requirements. WoD was so much better in the story-departement and how it presented it, I was really disappointed :/

Randy

Same old song and dance people have for vanilla noonsense. No, you didn't. Vanilla servers had FAR too many players for you to 'know' everyone. If you ran dungeons commonly you knew the other people that ran dungeons commonly at the same times as you. You know the people in guilds doing the same activities as you that you crossed over with, but you did not 'know everbody' or even a notable percentage of everybody on even the smallest of vanilla servers. Your reputation never mattered, because contrary to popular belief wow has never had any means to actually prevent someone from succeeding just because you didn't like them. This game was never EverQuest, it has always been instanced and the servers are big enough that you could always be totally fine even if everyone in the top guild hated yoiu for some reason, therefore the community was always crap because it could be. If you mean you know everyone because you were all talking in general chat - that's still there and people still do just that, your community isn't gone. There are people talking, you just haven't joined them. Because it's a 13 year old game.

I knew a LOT of people on my server back in the day and had a LOT of reliable players in my friend list. I have no clue why you would try to prove the opposite when a LOT of people experienced the same as I did. The insta dungeon finder and the cross servers did do nothing good to the rivalry and camaraderie between guilds on one server, the server events, etc... it's all blown to pieces because Blizzard made some - and notice the sarcasm brackets - "QoL" decisions.

EmiPrime

For casual players and normal/heroic raiders it's great; everything is of higher quality than Cata, MOP and WOD, bosses are well tuned and content is coming out at a fair clip. For hardcore progression raiders however it seems miserable.

Rncewind

I knew a LOT of people on my server back in the day and had a LOT of reliable players in my friend list. I have no clue why you would try to prove the opposite when a LOT of people experienced the same as I did. The insta dungeon finder and the cross servers did do nothing good to the rivalry and camaraderie between guilds on one server, the server events, etc... it's all blown to pieces because Blizzard made some - and notice the sarcasm brackets - "QoL" decisions.

yes i loved the camaraderie through guild member poaching. I experinced more drama through this then reality tv shows. What great times.

I mean i liked TBC more then current wow but that it is an odd example xD

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I quit this expansion quicker then the other ones. It was very alt unfriendly with all the grinds. Not sure if they got around to fixing that. The zones were tiny and a pain to navigate and the story was really bad. I was excited for world quests, but they ended up just being recycled quests I did while leveling. And as others have mentioned, there has not really been a sense of community in a long time since they added all the CRZ stuff.

I may check it out again soon. I usually sub once every year or two for a month just to run through some newer content.

Mirk

This xp is the only one to keep me playing since wrath. Me and 6-8 vanilla friends have been holding strong. Tbh I think how easy it is to grab a few pugs and clear a heroic raid has made all the difference for us.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I resubbed for a 6 month trial run about 2-3 months ago. And it's been fun.

Notable though...I pretty much play this game as a solo MMO game if that makes sense. I group when I need to, help other people, socialize here and there, but I do no official raiding. LFR only.

I could care less about progression or being competitive. I get new gear on a regular basis for basic upgrades (which I assume will max out for LFR type stuff soon).

Vs how I played in Lich King (Heavy raider), I am having WAY more fun. The pressure is all gone and I just "Play" the damn game.

I have a blast soloing old content, or slowing getting strong enough for new stuff. The artifact thing is a grind yes, but there are so many ways to speed it up that it really is a non issue once you start getting a weapon maxed out.

Only negative grind for me, is the faction stuff to get flying... but I am close!

I will likely re-sub another 6 months if the fun level keeps up.

I still have tons of LOD content to go back and do as well.

blakdeth

I quit when the core plot of the expansion, Illidan's ressurection, was hidden behind a patched-in 6-month-farming quest.

I'm a pretty unusual WoW-player in that I play the game mainly (only) for its story and leveling and in that regard I found Legion to be incredibly disappointing. What I considered to be the main story before starting the game - fighting the Legion and the Return of Illidan - played little to no part in the actual game. Instead, it was several regions that had nothing to do with each other story-wise (which was necessary because you could play them in whatever order you wanted) and where the Legion was little more than a background justification for "Hey, Dude Y who was once nice is now evil because Legion!". But Gul'dan or any big players of the Legion where pretty much completely absend for the main "campaign" of the game. I didn't get at all what I though I was paying for, judging from the marketing.
And then they hide the real story progress behind dozens and dozens and dozens and DOZENS of hours of farming and raiding. Suramar was so fucking awful - you spend so many hours getting invested in the storyline only to realize that you will never actually see the conclusion because it's hidden behind ever more escalating farming requirements. WoD was so much better in the story-departement and how it presented it, I was really disappointed :/

I've been struggling to explain why Legion didn't hold my interest and I believe this post nailed it.

One of the things I enjoyed about previous expansions was the quest progression/pacing. For example, questing in WoD wrapped up with an epic confrontation between Thrall and Garrosh. This felt like a satisfying conclusion to everything that occurred in MoP as well as serving as a perfect segue to the larger threat posed by Gul'dan.

Legion, on the other hand, had a disjointed quest structure due to the technical requirement that each zone could be completed in any order. By the time I hit 110 and ventured into Suramar, I didn't feel invested in the story at all. Couple that with story content being gated behind reputation, and I just completely burned out on Legion.

In my opinion, one of the best ways to sustain interest in an MMO is to invest oneself heavily in the lore. When that lore is fragmented and gated behind repetitive content, I quickly lose interest.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

Vanilla servers were smaller, and had substantial sub-server segregation. (% of people levelling much higher, hardcore community much, much smaller)

TheYanger

I've been struggling to explain why Legion didn't hold my interest and I believe this post nailed it.

One of the things I enjoyed about previous expansions was the quest progression/pacing. For example, questing in WoD wrapped up with an epic confrontation between Thrall and Garrosh. This felt like a satisfying conclusion to everything that occurred in MoP as well as serving as a perfect segue to the larger threat posed by Gul'dan.

Legion, on the other hand, had a disjointed quest structure due to the technical requirement that each zone could be completed in any order. By the time I hit 110 and ventured into Suramar, I didn't feel invested in the story at all. Couple that with story content being gated behind reputation, and I just completely burned out on Legion.

In my opinion, one of the best ways to sustain interest in an MMO is to invest oneself heavily in the lore. When that lore is fragmented and gated behind repetitive content, I quickly lose interest.

Honest question for the two of you: Do you consider the story to simply be the levelling experience? In past expansions it's largely been level level level, virtually no story or you had to really dig into quest text to get it all (Seriously, do you think Grizzly Hills was any more relevant than like, Azsuna for example?), and then a roadblock until maybe the very end where you fight Illidan or Arthas or whatever.

Your example of Garrosh in Warlords - that feels like a culmination to MoP, because it is, but you also had to play ALL of MoP to even know that that was the story. The story of MoP as defined by what you guys are harping on for legion, ends with literally nothing. It would've ended with you saving some Klaxxi paragons or something random. The story in MoP was great, but it took the entire expansion to develop to the point of Garrosh being the bad guy. Nothing in Dread wastes was relevant until then, for instance.

Take that same logic and apply it to Legion, which is both still in progress and you both stopped prior to any current storyline stuff: The story of Legion involves (on a broad level) finding the Pillars of Creation in order to stop Gul'dan and seal the breach in the Tomb of Sargeras. That's what the story was from the beginning, literally the opening quest you do. The four 'random' zones you level through are the places the pillars are held. Your quests through those zones follow straight through to obtain the pillars, and culminate in the dungeons that each zone leads you to in the finale. Finally, after allo f that and the pillars being brought to Dalaran, you find that the Nighthold where Gul'dan is is basically impregnable, lo and behold you find a message from Arcanist Thalyssra asking for mutual help in order to retake Suramar and invade the nighthold. Suramar is then an end-game story progression involving bringing the withered togehter and curing them of their mana addiction, while building an army up to take on Ellisande and Gul'dan inside the Nighthold. You enter the nighthold, defeat Ellisande (helping the nightfallen to become free from the legion in the process) and go fight Gul'dan, where Khadgar uses the pillars (from the 4 zones that you levelled in) to stop the ritual and return Illidan's soul to his body. You then use the same pillars in the Tomb of Sargeras to seal the legion's portal into the tomb, and to tear open a rift and bring Argus and Azeroth basically into orbit of each other, so that next patch we can go to Argus and kill the legion permanently (Since they're in the twisting nether there and will actually die instead of simply being reborn).

I know that's long winded, but my point is, the complaint that somehow the questing zones were random and didn't lead to anything regarding the plot is simply false, and you would know that if you continued on with the story. If you think that it should've led to an endgame right at the end of the questing experience when you hit 110, that's a point of view I suppose, but it's not one that is supported by your other examples (That somehow the questing experience of Warlords led to the end of the storyline from MoP? It certainly didn't end the Warlords storyline). At some point you need to realize that it's an MMO, and the storyline is moving forward much more quickly in the last 3 expansions than it ever used to, and much more coherently, Legion is a part of that, MoP flowed smoothly into Warlords which flowed smoothly into Legion, and presumably Legion will flow smoothly into whatever is next. The leveling experience is basically a search for Macguffins, but that's true of literally every levelling experience that has ever existed in wow - it would both be tiresome and nonsensical to write thousands of quests in order and expect any kind of coherent plot, so instead they write 'hey go to place A, and help the locals with their problems to get Macguffin A'

Again, that's how they've always done it. Yeah, it's nonlinear this time, but it was always nonlinear to a degree. You had choice in Wrath of the Lich king and probably never bothered with half of the zones, and they intended you not to, for example. Same with basically every expansion, they make vastly more content than you need to do. Legion is actually the first time where if you played at launch and levelling without rest or tricks or grinding, you probably did the entire storyline, or almost all of it. So yeah, the order was up to you but you likely saw it all for the first time in wow levelling history.

At this point I'm rambling, I just find this specific complaint bewildering, it's hard to criticize a story you have only seen a small percentage of (and I'm not saying it's great, it's wow it's hokey as it always has been) and then to tout a story that has the exact same structure as a high point for the series.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
tenor.gif

Serrato

I played for about two three months and quit, this time for good. I did the Emerald Nightmare and that was it for me and my friends.

What I Liked?

Nice environement and new quest mechanics.
Concept wise Legendary weapon are nice.
I didnt feel the grind until I finished EN.

What I disliked?

Oh boy...
Legendaries as RNG drop is such a travesty. Especially since some would boost so much your DPS.

Execution wise, Legendary weapons are really a hit and miss for me. They are basically extansions of your spec and have almost unlimited grind to it. To keep up with the top you had to do ot every single day and do borring repetitive WQ.

Suramar. I get the idea. but god, going in stealth in a city every day ugh.

Legendaries skins and how much some were either pure RNG (never got my Shield skin going every day in that fucking cave) or just luck of the World Boss of the week. (Fury warriors and DK anyone?) while Hunters could jusy buy theirs! haha

I have never seen such a bad class balance in all the history of WoW post RogueofWarcarft infamy. in the time I was playing anyway.

Lore wise... eh. It was cool.to see thr Legion again but... I really thought that the whole.story this time just got borring. oh well.

The Grind, oh god. Must be cause im getting older but I didn't want to do that on end.

Im quite negative, but I had fun at the start. I was soured over time.

Top Bottom