• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Onechanbara Z2: Chaos coming west this summer

cerulily

It releases today. I was going to do a video review/let's play after beating the game.

My impressions through chapter 10:

The story, graphics and english voice acting are quite bad. Basically what you would expect. I don't normally hate dubs but they're very unenthusiastic at times--most of the combat quotes are okay though which is why I've been too lazy to switch to japanese.
The boss monster and player character graphics are an exception, they're fine, not amazing but fine.
I can't say the music is bad but it's not entirely to my taste. Fits the absurdity of it all well enough I guess.
Not nearly as humorous as I expected, I was hoping for something closer to say Senran Kagura.

Most importantly, the actual gameplay is pretty fun character-actiony stuff. Upgrades, multiple weapons, combos, scoring system, pretty much all you'd expect out of a character action game. It's no Bayonetta but when the game gives you a bunch of enemies or a well designed boss (a couple were annoying) it's a lot of fun and you can just let the other stuff slide.

Definitely not a game to buy for any reason but the gameplay (even the fanservice is lacking IMO), and it's not going to stand up against your Bayonettas or DMCs but it's a pretty accessible combat system with lots of fun flair as you learn to play right.

Amount of content seems decent. I've put several hours in and seem to be a fair bit from beating the game, there's a ton of "mission mode" stuff too, higher difficulties. Some of the stages are kind of stupidly designed though, like the castle I got stuck in (even if it's not a bug, going in and out of 4 rooms with loading times to clean a monster closet is just stupid) and the numerous times you'll be chasing down That One Last Enemy to lower the "kill all enemies to advance" gate, but for the most time it's some decent dumb fun that doesn't get in your way too much.

I've always been into this series for it's exploitation cinema roots. I haven't played one since way way back (on import), and was planning to stream this game for absurdity's sake. Do you think it carries its own on these factors? I hear the gameplay is at least much improved.

Sir TapTap

Didn't think to check for co op, but I didn't notice. I can double check tonight.

I've always been into this series for it's exploitation cinema roots. I haven't played one since way way back (on import), and was planning to stream this game for absurdity's sake. Do you think it carries its own on these factors? I hear the gameplay is at least much improved.

It's certainly got something of a B movie feel though I can't say I've ever seen a movie I could say this feels like--I could just not be familiar with the particular exploitation subgenre. I chuckled a bit at a few of the jokes (lots of B movie "the lameness of the joke is the joke" stuff) but thus far it hasn't been "so bad it's good", it's just kind of there. The combat is the real draw. I would say Senran Kagura Estival Versus is the better game in almost every regard except this has a much more in depth combat system (with significantly reduced character variety of course).

The combat's really all I can recommend it for, but the combat really is quite fun. The only area where the low-budgeted really edges into the gameplay is the cinematic finishers are well below par compared to your God of War and Bayonetta stuff (budgets I know, but even the camera work is pretty eh), but some of the "slow mo splitting a zombie in half" stuff is still pretty entertaining.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I would just skip this and wait for Estival Versus. It's the much more satisfying game.

cerulily

Didn't think to check for co op, but I didn't notice. I can double check tonight.

It's certainly got something of a B movie feel though I can't say I've ever seen a movie I could say this feels like--I could just not be familiar with the particular exploitation subgenre. I chuckled a bit at a few of the jokes (lots of B movie "the lameness of the joke is the joke" stuff) but thus far it hasn't been "so bad it's good", it's just kind of there. The combat is the real draw. I would say Senran Kagura Estival Versus is the better game in almost every regard except this has a much more in depth combat system (with significantly reduced character variety of course).

The combat's really all I can recommend it for, but the combat really is quite fun. The only area where the low-budgeted really edges into the gameplay is the cinematic finishers are well below par compared to your God of War and Bayonetta stuff (budgets I know, but even the camera work is pretty eh), but some of the "slow mo splitting a zombie in half" stuff is still pretty entertaining.

Thanks so much. I think i'll probably go with Deception IV to get my cheesecakey lewd stream on, and pick this up on sale.

Sir TapTap

I would just skip this and wait for Estival Versus. It's the much more satisfying game.

Estival Versus is unquestionably the better game IMO, but the combat is quite different. This is surprisingly solid character action vs EV being a fairly shallow, if satisfying, brawler. If you only got one or don't care about fancier combat I'd definitely get EV over this though. And get on PS4 for dat 60 FPS and glorious IQ, can't recommend on Vita unless it's all you got.

Thanks so much. I think i'll probably go with Deception IV to get my cheesecakey lewd stream on, and pick this up on sale.

Aside from the costumes there really hasn't been much cheesecakey lewd going on so far, just a couple minor things for humor purposes. Was expecting far more humor than I've gotten so far. It's a bit odd, the game clearly doesn't take itself seriously, but it doesn't fully exploit the ability to mock itself.

Just got the Amazon confirmation, I'll be getting it Thursday.

Anyone slapping together an OT? If not I think we had one for the import (or this thread can be the unofficial one).

I have spent the last hour and a half playing the game.

Impressions:

Do you like B movies? Do you like campy dialogue and fun action? Do you not mind your back grounds or enemies being marginally sub par versus the character design?

If you said yes to any of this what the bloody hell are you doing on NeoGAF right now in a thread that is supported by the creepier game loving fanservice types.

GO BUY THIS NOW!

I won't make the OT I just could not do it justice but this game is amazeballs!

Sir TapTap

I have spent the last hour and a half playing the game.

Impressions:

You like it that much already? I was pretty down on the game until a couple hours in, combat had to click--also the first encounters aren't the best IMO. But it tends to take me a while to get into character action games.

No one wants to do the OT huh? I guess if someone helped me make banners I could throw something together like my Axiom Verge OT.

Demoskinos

Ugh they straight up just put the Bananna and Strawberry costume up to buy for anyone. I would have much rather had the digital version if I would have known that would be avalible day one.

cerulily

You like it that much already? I was pretty down on the game until a couple hours in, combat had to click--also the first encounters aren't the best IMO. But it tends to take me a while to get into character action games.

No one wants to do the OT huh? I guess if someone helped me make banners I could throw something together like my Axiom Verge OT.

If I can get my hands on some appropriate fonts I can probably throw some decent banners together.

F' it, i'll just buy the game :V

ChrisDM

Ugh they straight up just put the Bananna and Strawberry costume up to buy for anyone. I would have much rather had the digital version if I would have known that would be avalible day one.

I agree, but I'll survive with the physical. Sometimes I enjoy having physical copies of niche games.

Sir TapTap

I signed up in the OT thread, just need banners, can provide screenshots (I've already got some and took about an hour of video footage)

I wish devs would be more clear about this stuff, I never know when/if special edition DLC will be on sale. But hey, you got the physical copy which I assume will be somewhat uncommon. Hope you got it from bestbuy for Dat GCU

It releases today. I was going to do a video review/let's play after beating the game.

My impressions through chapter 10:

The story, graphics and english voice acting are quite bad. Basically what you would expect. I don't normally hate dubs but they're very unenthusiastic at times--most of the combat quotes are okay though which is why I've been too lazy to switch to japanese.
The boss monster and player character graphics are an exception, they're fine, not amazing but fine.
I can't say the music is bad but it's not entirely to my taste. Fits the absurdity of it all well enough I guess.
Not nearly as humorous as I expected, I was hoping for something closer to say Senran Kagura.

Most importantly, the actual gameplay is pretty fun character-actiony stuff. Upgrades, multiple weapons, combos, scoring system, pretty much all you'd expect out of a character action game. It's no Bayonetta but when the game gives you a bunch of enemies or a well designed boss (a couple were annoying) it's a lot of fun and you can just let the other stuff slide.

Definitely not a game to buy for any reason but the gameplay (even the fanservice is lacking IMO), and it's not going to stand up against your Bayonettas or DMCs but it's a pretty accessible combat system with lots of fun flair as you learn to play right.

Amount of content seems decent. I've put several hours in and seem to be a fair bit from beating the game, there's a ton of "mission mode" stuff too, higher difficulties. Some of the stages are kind of stupidly designed though, like the castle I got stuck in (even if it's not a bug, going in and out of 4 rooms with loading times to clean a monster closet is just stupid) and the numerous times you'll be chasing down That One Last Enemy to lower the "kill all enemies to advance" gate, but for the most time it's some decent dumb fun that doesn't get in your way too much.

Thanks for the mini-review. The last time I played a game in this series was in 2006, and it was super cheap like $20 US, so it was fun for the price. Might wait until it drops a bit.

Oh its a pretty rough start but I kept an open mind getting into it.

This is a very niche game.

Sir TapTap

My Review for ACG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7YVW29r6No

Fantastic. Very bland landscapes but everything else nailed it

That desert is just hilariously bad. The place in south america was pretty decent for what it is, though it didn't look anything like south america. Wonder how the game could look with a more cartoony/stylized background style, Estival Versus looks pretty decent but can't have that much of a BG budget either.

I guess I'm not as in-tune with the B movie feel as some. To be fair I have not watched many...any kind of movies. Can't sit still for 'em

Karak

That desert is just hilariously bad. The place in south america was pretty decent for what it is, though it didn't look anything like south america. Wonder how the game could look with a more cartoony/stylized background style, Estival Versus looks pretty decent but can't have that much of a BG budget either.

I guess I'm not as in-tune with the B movie feel as some. To be fair I have not watched many...any kind of movies. Can't sit still for 'em

Ya the locations are just bad.

cerulily

I wouldn't necessarily give the game credit as a B-movie. It's more in line with bottom of the barrel grindhouse exploitation cinema. Generally characterized by rock-bottom budgets and production value. Lurid content, shocking violence, edgey themes (ie: nazisploitation films). Or just down-right ripping off other films (80's actionsploitation and knockoffs are most obvious)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exploitation_film

B movies are often just movies that are low budget, but still retain genuine artistic intent.

Sir TapTap

I thought a defining feature of B movies is that they weren't arthouse stuff and exploitation films were basically a form of B Movie. I'm no film cricket though

cerulily

I thought a defining feature of B movies is that they weren't arthouse stuff and exploitation films were basically a form of B Movie. I'm no film cricket though

B movies sit comfortably between high budget & art film and exploitation.

It's one of those "you know it when you see it" types of things. Another common theme of exploitation film is that they're often filmed on terrible home-video cameras. Nothing like a shot on shiteo film to really get that rock-bottom budget feel.

If you want an intro to a lot of these kinds of films, you could try watching really old "cinema snob" reviews, you'll get a pretty good idea of the genre from that. B movies usually are trying to be films, at least.

Onechanbara's roots are in 20$ ps2 bargain fodder alongside other games like that one where a giant bikini lady is attacking Tokyo, or something. You know those terrible unity made games on steam people are charging for, but use pre-made assets and are clearly garbage. Onechanbara was originally that kind of game, but was popular enough on its own to spin out into its own brand.

Demoskinos

This game is PRETTY damn good. So much stuff. There are a surprising amount of systems and moves you can preform. The more fanservicy side of the game might turn some folks off but seriously this is a pretty damn competent beat em' up game in the vein of DMC or Bayonetta.

Sir TapTap

This game is PRETTY damn good. So much stuff. There are a surprising amount of systems and moves you can preform. The more fanservicy side of the game might turn some folks off but seriously this is a pretty damn competent beat em' up game in the vein of DMC or Bayonetta.

The fanservice is really pretty mild--the main character's ridiculous geddup is like 90% of the fanservice in the game (and you can change to the formal unsexy catholic schoolgirl duds if you want). Beyond that it's some minor callouts in cutscenes and some positioning/animations in the QTE finishers and that's about it so far.

Demoskinos

Anyone know what to do with these boss QTE prompts? This first one has a blue flashing arrow pointing down but I'm not sure WHAT exactly it wants me to hit... it keeps on failing for me.

DarkOneX

Played it for about 30 min or so during lunch, pretty fun and looks good to me! I knew what to expect in the looks department after playing the 360 and Wii ones and it looks better than those so I'm happy. I was surprised the game came with the special package with that nice thick art book and music CD, wasn't expecting that! I downloaded the Strawberry Banana DLC how do I switch the girls into it I didn't see a place to do that? Also the look speed seems too slow and tried to find in options a place to speed that up but didn't see a setting, that kinda sux if there isn't one?

Karak

Anyone know what to do with these boss QTE prompts? This first one has a blue flashing arrow pointing down but I'm not sure WHAT exactly it wants me to hit... it keeps on failing for me.

The PS4 touchpad. Stroke it baby. Same direction as the prompt

cerulily

Well, I bit the bullet and bought it. Assuming it's downloaded when I get home, i'm going to be streaming tonight (can link later if anyone wants to check it out)

Sir TapTap

Duh. Feel like a dummy now. >_>

The touchpad is not what I expected to use either, but I actually really like it for QTEs, extremely responsive and accurate, oddly satisfying. BTW, if you see two arrows you have to "spread" outward with two fingers. That one caught me up too. They should have used a dotted background to hint that it's a touch prompt, Infamous and others do that.

Played it for about 30 min or so during lunch, pretty fun and looks good to me! I knew what to expect in the looks department after playing the 360 and Wii ones and it looks better than those so I'm happy. I was surprised the game came with the special package with that nice thick art book and music CD, wasn't expecting that! I downloaded the Strawberry Banana DLC how do I switch the girls into it I didn't see a place to do that? Also the look speed seems too slow and tried to find in options a place to speed that up but didn't see a setting, that kinda sux if there isn't one?

Woah, physical has an artbook too?

Change clothes on the main menu, out of game. The button name is something extremely stupid but you'll figure it out, it's one of the main menu options.

And you mean camera speed? I noticed that too, but no, no camera speed option. Lock on and Chase liberally to change the camera if you need to chase something around.

The touchpad is not what I expected to use either, but I actually really like it for QTEs, extremely responsive and accurate, oddly satisfying. BTW, if you see two arrows you have to "spread" outward with two fingers. That one caught me up too. They should have used a dotted background to hint that it's a touch prompt, Infamous and others do that.

Woah, physical has an artbook too?

Change clothes on the main menu, out of game. The button name is something extremely stupid but you'll figure it out, it's one of the main menu options.

And you mean camera speed? I noticed that too, but no, no camera speed option. Lock on and Chase liberally to change the camera if you need to chase something around.

the button name is "coordinate"

Sir TapTap

Ah, right, I knew it was something vaguely clothing related but not anything that would be in my top 10 list for "dressing room"

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Estival Versus is unquestionably the better game IMO, but the combat is quite different. This is surprisingly solid character action vs EV being a fairly shallow, if satisfying, brawler. If you only got one or don't care about fancier combat I'd definitely get EV over this though. And get on PS4 for dat 60 FPS and glorious IQ, can't recommend on Vita unless it's all you got.

The problem I have with this game isn't its gameplay...it's everything else. They pretty much recycled the last Oneechanbara game, and it's still filled with the same old lifeless, bland boring stages and enemies. It plays pretty well, sure, but it's just so dull and still screams "budget Simple 2000 game" despite the higher price. Senran Kagura is Oneechanbara done right. Plus Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi is out this week. That's where my beat-em-up bucks are going.

cerulily

The problem I have with this game isn't its gameplay...it's everything else. They pretty much recycled the last Oneechanbara game, and it's still filled with the same old lifeless, bland boring stages and enemies. It plays pretty well, sure, but it's just so dull and still screams "budget Simple 2000 game" despite the higher price. Senran Kagura is Oneechanbara done right. Plus Sengoku Basara 4 Sumeragi is out this week. That's where my beat-em-up bucks are going.

I just can't get over the blatant under-age aspect of most of the SK cast. It makes an already skeevy game a bit less acceptable to me.

ShinMaruku

I loved this game to be honest just because of the combat and I love Oneechanbara regardless.
Funny thing about Senran Kagura is none of em are under age except 1 which you would never know because she's of age. Also da hawtest ones are over 20 :E

Nyoro SF

How's the framerate? The first one was nearly unplayable for me (PS3 ver)

The framerate is fine when I tested out the PS4 version at E3.
I will say that this game benefits from huge framerate slowdown though :p makes it easier to react to enemies sometimes and makes it more hype when you cut a whole bunch in a row (like No More Heroes slowdown hype)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
If I had a PS4, I probably would've picked this up for the summer dry-spell. Just hope later on it'll be easy to find a first print copy.

...or at the very least secure a banana code...

Sir TapTap

I wouldn't quite say SK is Onechanbara done right...the hammy presentation and fanservice yes, the combat is very different and SK actually tries to have a story and somewhat succeeds, and yes SK does humor far better.

I do agree that basically everything but gameplay is okay to bad, though most of it is deliberate/didn't care/didn't have the budget. Haven't played the prior games so I wouldn't have noticed recycling. Honestly the monster designs aren't too bad...EXCEPT the zombies. Which are the main trash mob and account for 90% of what you kill. That's a real shame. The bosses aren't Bayonetta tier but they're alright, but these 10 foot tall "stretched in unreal editor" looking zombie dudes are awkward. Which is a shame because they're real fun to kill en masse regardless.

How's the framerate? The first one was nearly unplayable for me (PS3 ver)

Haven't noticed any problems. Loading times are kind of annoying but not a big deal on the open maps. There's one castle section with 4 super tiny rooms with separate load times though, absolutely terrible design.

Honestly my favorite thing about PS4 is that low budget Japanese devs seem perfectly capable of hitting 1080/60 with decent IQ and no drops outside of very specific circumstances (In Nep VII only a certain map type tanks framerate, in Estival Versus only enemies spawning in large groups causes a short dip)

I just can't get over the blatant under-age aspect of most of the SK cast. It makes an already skeevy game a bit less acceptable to me.

The character ages in Senran Kagura (and many many Japanese games) are basically the western equivalent of everyone being "18". Regardless of the culture everyone rides the line and the ages are fake, only real difference is what the line is. And age is basically made up and the points don't matter: It's anime, everyone between 15 to 30 can look the same unless the artist is specifically going for "mature" or "childish"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Worst comes to worst, I think they're selling the banana costumes for $3 on PSN. Not too bad.
Yes, they are. But I tend to not buy costumes or any DLC for that matter that are simply cosmetic, i.e. anything that doesn't actually affect the gameplay. I don't mind costumes that're free, part of a bundle with something else, or a pre-order/first print bonus, though, hence why I'd rather get it as a freebie for buying the game....despite not having a PS4 right now.

Edit: Oh right, there's also the CD & artbook. Those are nice bonuses as well.

My god... the disk art, hahaha.
Can't seem to find it via Google, anyone got a pic?

Gbraga

It's finally out!
r12918e.png

Thank you, XSEED.

The End

I'm sure I'll wind up picking this up on PSN sale for $10 at some point.

Right now though August is my month of HEROIC BACKLOG CLEARING before everything hits Sept. 1.

Top Bottom