• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Onechanbara Z2 Chaos |OT| Girls, Garters and Gory

SerTapTap

fqIStJZ.png
Platform: PS4
Price $40 US PSN, $50 for a physical collector's edition at your chosen retail store
Genre: Exploitation-film-esque Character Action
Developer: Tamsoft and D3 Publisher
Publisher: XSeed

Kagura and Saaya are schoolgirl sisters raised together by the Vampiric Clan, and rank among their strongest warriors. Aya and Saki are assassin sisters descended from the rival Baneful Bloodline, and represent their lineage with esteem.
Now, these four must learn to fight together against an undead army. Brought under one banner known as the “Zombie Punitive Force,” these blood enemies will have to reach a mutual understanding in order to save the world as we know it.
And as long as they’re working together, they might as well do it in style…

(taken directly from the PS Store description because lol it's a B movie story who cares)

• Style-ish Action!
  • Four (4) character self-co-op!
  • Enough B Movie cheese to choke a horse!
  • Purchase Upgrades!
  • Mission Mode!
  • Change Clothes!
  • Change Weapons!
  • Change Forms!
  • Dual Audio!
  • !!

Kotaku - Import review
Video review from GAFer Karak AKA AngryCentaurGaming
Impressions from Sir TapTap (me)

Can't have stylish action without...STYLE!

Please be sensible when posting screenshots, no the Banana Split bonus costume is probably not okay to post. When in doubt, link and tag as NSFW for images and video. (my warning not a mods--one's free to clarify)

Thanks to Ultimate_Trainer for the banner images and Zonic for the physical info

Karak

Thanks for posting my review. I was so taken by surprise by this title man. What it lacks in enviromental graphics it makes up for everywhere else with some insane combat, upgrades, and a pretty kicking musical score. So glad to see people digging the game.

thelastword

Banned
Wow, some of these textures could use some major work, they could at least have added some AF in. I know these releases from Japan are rare, but a little more effort would go a long way, I hope it's 60fps at least.

SerTapTap

BTW apparently the banana split costume DLC is out day 1 so no you don't have to buy the physical edition for it. The physical edition sounds like it has an art book?? Can someone with physical confirm the contents? Even retail stores don't say what it comes with, I figured it was just the DLC.

Also, for anyone wondering, performance in the game is fine. Haven't had noticeable framedrops up through chapter 11

Banana split costume is not okay to post in the OT for this game? I've seen worse on magazine covers sometimes.

I mean, I assume so--and 90s game mags could be pretty damn trashy. I haven't confirmed with a mod so one is free to clarify, I just assumed. It's pretty close to some SK stuff people have gotten yelled at for

Ogawa-san

Woo, OT!

Going through some missions before getting story mode done. Protip: read the goddamn description before going in.

89qnTq8.jpg

Wow, some of these textures could use some major work, they could at least have added some AF in. I know these releases from Japan are rare, but a little more effort would go a long way, I hope it's 60fps at least.
Every texture that's not on a girl could use major work... :p

But it is 60fps, even with 4 girls and 100 zombies on screen.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Yes, retail version has a free code for the Banana Split "costume", an OST (not sure on how many tracks) & an artbook (not sure on how many pages).

Banana.jpg

Maybe worth putting in the OT?

I double dog dare someone to post the disc art.

Don't do it.
Too late, someone linked it in a previous thread. All I have to say is looolll they KNEW why they did that.

SerTapTap

Yes, retail version has a free code for the Banana Split "costume", an OST (not sure on how many tracks) & an artbook (not sure on how many pages).

Ah, thank ye. It would be nice if you know, retailers asking $50 for this product, would share that information. Neither Best Buy nor amazon has that info

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Ah, thank ye. It would be nice if you know, retailers asking $50 for this product, would share that information. Neither Best Buy nor amazon has that info
Someone buy me a copy for when I get a PS4 & I'll check the artbook & CD out while securing a free banana code.

I'll see if Google tells me anything.

Thanks for the OT TapTap.

Banana.jpg

Maybe worth putting in the OT?

Thanks for the confirmation because I was wondering about this since it wasn't on the Amazon page.

Also, as far as posting the S&B costume pics, people have already posted pictures of them in most of the previous OZ2C threads including the last one:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=155333545&postcount=23

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Oh wow thats really cool how the icons make a picture. I think Resonance of Fate did that with its achivements as well.
I know Gravity Rush did this, mainly with the DLC. All the trophies would form to make Kat in whatever DLC costume you had bought. I find this to be a nice little touch, plus it's much cooler than generic icons for bronze, silver, & gold.

DJ, turn the music up
Cristal in my cup.
DJ, turn the music up
Cristal in my cup.
DJ, turn the music up
Cristal in my cup.

I had a blast with the import

KyleCross

I am so on the fence about this. I'll get it for $20 physical at Best Buy if I did pick it up (GCU discount plus pre-order gift cards I've built up) but I'm not expecting anything great and this title is most likely going to sink in price anyways. Plus, I own the 360 game and only played a few hours.

SerTapTap

Heads up, if you get stuck in the castle with all the doors (here), you can wall-climb up the stairs onto the second level by chasing (hold X) against the blocked off stairs and switching characters rapidly. You can eventually climb over the non-gated upper parts of the second floor if you do it well.

Not happy I had to do that, but it seems to be progressing normally afterwards. I also haven't found any help so I might be the only one who got it.

A more general protip, the QTEs are 100% controlled by the touchpad so far, don't try the sticks

Is the limited edition for all retail copies or is it actually limited?

It's basically the only print run, but it's not like they print a crazy amount of copies so kind of both? But if it's like Estival Versus it may still be readily available a few months later

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Is the limited edition for all retail copies or is it actually limited?
Pretty sure all retail, or at the very least the first print for a while. SV's retail release had the book & CD as well and that was the only version you could really find physically unless you bought an used copy. Pretty sure it's still rather easy to find.

Karak

This actually looks really fun to play.

*adds to list*

Its exactly that. Its why I have funfactor in my reviews, otherwise you could easily get caught up in some of the issues with the game. THis is the very definition of a game that doesn't hit on all cylinders but the 2 that matter, funfactor and gameplay and by extension the experience itself, are high. But the game is solid fun. I was surprised the reaction it got from the others I had with me during my review. Its was a total hit with everyone which I never expected. Let me explain it this way. 11 people all jammed in a room, some never having played these types of games, and by the time it was over pretty much everyone with a PS4 was getting the game.

Uthred

So the banana split costume is free with the physical edition but $3 if you go digital?

My review was posted this morning.

http://digitalchumps.com/game-reviews/352-playstation-4/onechanbara-z2-chaos.html

It's a lot of words. If you don't want to read them: Game's bad.

Your writing could do with some clarity, there was a lot of needless complexity that simply felt like self indulgence and rendered some portions of the review near unreadable. It also made it hard to actually discern what you felt the games flaws were, beyond the fact you didnt seem to entirely understand the combat system and that you disliked it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So the banana split costume is free with the physical edition but $3 if you go digital?
Yes. Physical is more of a bonus considering it's $10 more due to the CD & artbook, along with the code. But if you go digital, then yes, it's a separate $3 purchase. There's no difference between the code included with the retail version & buying it on PSN, from what it seems.

Also, posted in another thread was the fact this has a reversable cover.

But also, not sure if this was mentioned, I know people like reversible covers, so this should be some good news for those who are interested:

tF4HVRP.jpg

Is this game really short? I read that is around 3 hours long, which too short for me to pay $50 for This game looks quite fun based on the videos I seen.

Lastly, are the Senran Kagura Estivul Versus games any good? I might try this series out since I read from someone on Gaf that that was superior than this game.

Thanks!

SerTapTap

That reversible cover is pretty nice.

I want this so badly, but $50 is kinda steep for such a niche game. :(
It's $40 on PSN. The $50 seems pretty reasonable considering the goodies (not a huge fan of the music but it's certainly fitting of the style of game for better or worse)

edit:
Is this game really short? I read that is around 3 hours long, which too short for me to pay $50 for This game looks quite fun based on the videos I seen.

Lastly, are the Senran Kagura Estivul Versus games any good? I might try this series out since I read from someone on Gaf that that was superior than this game.

Thanks!

3 hours? Doesn't sound right--I wonder if they're going by Clear Time in Chapter Select (I've got about 2.5 hours in there, not done yet), I don't think that counts stuff like pause time and cutscenes which would usually be included. Pretty sure I've played more than 2.5 hours...but without PS4 tracking ingame time I can't really tell.

But it's also got replayability via higher difficulties and NG+ (like any character action game) and mission mode which should add a solid amount of play time. I'm not far enough to give a proper estimate of time, but 3 hours seems like a really lowball and I'm certain that's a once-through at most. You won't even have all unlocks after one playthrough at the rate I'm going, not by a long shot.

And yes, Estival Versus is very good, and personally much more to my taste than this game. Gameplay-wise one is a shallow brawler (EV) and one is a character action (Onechanbara), but I would certainly call Estival Versus the better game in general. Like, entire leagues above in everything other than gameplay, and personally I find EV's gameplay more satisfying too.

And as for length, Shinovi Versus was around 20 hours to 100% and Estival feels about the same. Without considering replays it's definitely longer, and IMO I would definitely say EV is worth $60. This game, really depends how much you enjoy the combat and trashy B movie feel. Also, Estival is BEAUTIFUL. Like damn, probably the best realtime anime character models I've seen.

...why did I write all of that I have a perfectly fine Estival Versus review on my website. Will do a video review of this game too, after I'm done with it. Probably in a couple days at this rate.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Not sure if this is considered NSFW around these parts, so I'll err on the side of caution and just link it http://i.imgur.com/Xi70w4l.jpg (also, what are you doing in an Oncechanbara thread at work?)

But also, not sure if this was mentioned, I know people like reversible covers, so this should be some good news for those who are interested:

tF4HVRP.jpg

The 2 best girls in the series. Wonder if Saya is still insanely broken with her jump triangle? I think attack. The one where she drops straight down with her chainsaw doing multiple hits. Made the game hilariously easy for standard fights.

Wynnebeck

Banned
That reversible cover is pretty nice.

It's $40 on PSN. The $50 seems pretty reasonable considering the goodies (not a huge fan of the music but it's certainly fitting of the style of game for better or worse)

edit:

3 hours? Doesn't sound right--I wonder if they're going by Clear Time in Chapter Select (I've got about 2.5 hours in there, not done yet), I don't think that counts stuff like pause time and cutscenes which would usually be included. Pretty sure I've played more than 2.5 hours...but without PS4 tracking ingame time I can't really tell.

But it's also got replayability via higher difficulties and NG+ (like any character action game) and mission mode which should add a solid amount of play time. I'm not far enough to give a proper estimate of time, but 3 hours seems like a really lowball and I'm certain that's a once-through at most. You won't even have all unlocks after one playthrough at the rate I'm going, not by a long shot.

And yes, Estival Versus is very good, and personally much more to my taste than this game. Gameplay-wise one is a shallow brawler (EV) and one is a character action (Onechanbara), but I would certainly call Estival Versus the better game in general. Like, entire leagues above in everything other than gameplay, and personally I find EV's gameplay more satisfying too.

And as for length, Shinovi Versus was around 20 hours to 100% and Estival feels about the same. Without considering replays it's definitely longer, and IMO I would definitely say EV is worth $60. This game, really depends how much you enjoy the combat and trashy B movie feel. Also, Estival is BEAUTIFUL. Like damn, probably the best realtime anime character models I've seen.

Meh, this is sounding like a tough decision now.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
See Sir Taptap's post for more info. SV & EV are more musou style brawlers, not to mention SV has 20 characters (22 with DLC) and EV is going to have about 35 after all the DLC is out. This has, what, four or five?

I would have a feeling that once EV (&/or SK2) is out or close to being out, Xseed will put SV on sale to "celebrate" the new game coming out. They did a sale on Burst when SV was being released, I have a feeling it'll be on sale again for around $20-$25.

Lt.Chips

Current gen consoles need more character action games, so this is a welcome addition. Thanks for bringing this to the west, XSEED!

FHIZ

Heads up if you're playing the game with headphones... Don't. The audio that is mixed for the DS4's speaker fucking BLASTS that audio into your headphones. Can't find a way to lower it without lowering everyone's voices.

Also, random question, is there a way to lock on to an enemy without having to hold down R1? I can see that getting painful after awhile.

ShinMaruku

The 2 best girls in the series. Wonder if Saya is still insanely broken with her jump triangle? I think attack. The one where she drops straight down with her chainsaw doing multiple hits. Made the game hilariously easy for standard fights.

When you master the charging mechanic and give Kagura the vampirism weapon she's the most broken one. When I kit her properly even in Berzerk mode her health never stays low, always goes up.

Finished the story mode in about 4 hour or so. Game is legit fun. Lots to unlock, the challenge missions, and whatnot. Action gets INSANE sometimes imo.It lacks any serious set piece moments of other action games but it still is insanely fun if not a tad repetitive.

SerTapTap

How do you know what the different weapons even do? Is it just a straight power increase with each tier?

Also, how do "Cool" hits even work? I even tried the practice mode with the weird frame data bar and have no idea when to switch out.

There's certainly a learning curve to figuring out all the nuances of the characters and options. I'm 2.5 hours in and still have no idea how to properly use at least one major feature of each character other than Kagura.
Heads up if you're playing the game with headphones... Don't. The audio that is mixed for the DS4's speaker fucking BLASTS that audio into your headphones. Can't find a way to lower it without lowering everyone's voices.

Also, random question, is there a way to lock on to an enemy without having to hold down R1? I can see that getting painful after awhile.

Check options, Lock On Type. Sucks about the DS4 audio, does it change if you lower the volume on the "speaker volume for controller" on the PS4? Probably not...I think I noticed with Resogun or something that it's really loud with headphones

Meh, this is sounding like a tough decision now.

It's not an easy sell. If I had to put it in a sentence, it's not exactly a good game but it is a fun game. But there are certainly safer purchases.

Top Bottom