• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Online Dating |OT| Please Respond

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
How many bots are there?

A lot. Any of them that have pictures that say a shady URL or "GFE" or something like that

Sometimes there are some that don't have anything on the pictures and nothing in the profile, but I haven't had a lot of those recently. I imagine when they update the app they break most of the bots for a while then they start getting back in

You can tell they're bots because they'll always say something out of context like "tinder never works for me message me on kik" or "here's my pics check me out"

Jhoan

Any pic that has a website listed on it is a bot. Although you'll probably be busy swiping right to notice until you're matched up. Thankfully they're super easy to avoid.

Dean Franco got it right. Simply swipe right/tap right mindlessly until you have a whole range of matches; message them; rinse and repeat. And yes you will see tons of hot girls in your area that are either from out of town, looking for a summer romance, or natives looking to stroke their egos. All kinds of girls exist but the best thing about Tinder is that it cuts the B.S. of having to write an appealing profile and answer a bunch of survey questions.

Septimius

Tinder is basically good for hooking up and having sex with as many guys and girls possible. That's what a lot of guys/girls use it for; also the reason for mass swipe right phenomenon. Rarely something serious comes from Tinder.

It's what you use it for. It's easy to weed out those that don't suit your need for it. As such, it'll serve its purpose.

y2dvd

So this really cute girl messages me on Tinder.

Her: what's good?
Me: this weather is damn good. What's going on with you?
H: you look familiar
M: I don't recognize you. Where do you think we've met before?
H: are you cockman19 on hookup[something].com
M: ha at that sn! No, what is that site?
I get that sometimes that I look like a cockman19. You could say I got a cocky face.

I got blocked lulz.

Septimius

So this really cute girl messages me on Tinder.

Her: what's good?
Me: this weather is damn good. What's going on with you?
H: you look familiar
M: I don't recognize you. Where do you think we've met before?
H: are you cockman19 on hookup[something].com
M: ha at that sn! No, what is that site?
I get that sometimes that I look like a cockman19. You could say I got a cocky face.

I got blocked lulz.

Bot.

Hot girl just messaged me on Tinder:

Her: How are u
Me: I'm doing well. :) Happy Friday! Do you have a fun night planned?
Her: *gives phone number*
Her: I'll show u :)

I guess I should text her number, right?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Hot girl just messaged me on Tinder:

Her: How are u
Me: I'm doing well. :) Happy Friday! Do you have a fun night planned?
Her: *gives phone number*
Her: I'll show u :)

I guess I should text her number, right?

Depends on what's going on with the profile. Could be a spammer trying to get phone numbers...

Google the number IMO and see if it comes up for a spammer

Also, if they stopped saying anything on tinder or replying to anything you send it is a bot

Maddocks

shes going to show you....for a kidney! just kidding. have fun, sometimes it is that fast, just know that its rare.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So, this girl swiped me right on Tinder... Not great looking, but eh... -reads description-

"i recently emigrated from switzerland to Vancouver"

HANG ON A FUCKING SECOND

I've only met ONE other Swiss emigrant in my 5 years in this city. (I am one too if that wasn't clear) This might be worth it even if nothing romantic comes out of it lol.

English (Poorly), C++ (Fluently). Hahahaha.

Anyway.

Swap the fourth picture you have up to second. That's a great look for you.

[...]heart of code (used to be gold, but I changed it, since I didn't want to have a heavy heart) ?

[...]heart of code (used to be gold, but I sold that one) ?

[...]heart of code (used to be gold, but I changed it. Only problem is, this one has bugs) ?

I don't know

Code:
class Heart {
  Heart loves;

void beat() {
    while(true) {
      if(loves.loves != this) {
        break;
      }
    }
  }

}

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I've only gotten 1 bot match, and that was from tangerine (the bank) :lol

OkCupid is not looking good for me.

I live in a relatively small town so I maybe have 30 matches within 15 miles. No lie, 95% are overweight. I'm trying not to discriminate, but I'm 5'11, 160 pounds. I'd like to date someone who doesn't weigh twice as much as me.

Guess I'm shit out of luck.

Luigi87

Haven't really gotten many responses. One girl I was having a conversation with appears to have lost interest and hasn't responded to my last message from nearly a week ago. Oh well.

Heading on a solo excursion to Japan today, so I feel I've been going at this a tad half-heartedly, so when I get back to Canada in a week and a half I'll likely put more effort into it.

Also texted the girl I went on a coffee date with (she gave me her number as I was getting out of her car) the day after saying enjoyed myself and hope we can doing something again after I get back from my trip, but never heard back, lol

Dunno if I should call/text her when I get back.

MUnited83

For you.

I live in a relatively small town so I maybe have 30 matches within 15 miles. No lie, 95% are overweight. I'm trying not to discriminate, but I'm 5'11, 160 pounds. I'd like to date someone who doesn't weigh twice as much as me.

image.php

:p

Well, at least that's a handful of matches. Quickmatch doesn't even show girls on my country anymore, I probably rated them all already and I doubt they are more than 50-60 on the whole site :p

Five

Banned

15 miles isn't very far. I live in the Los Angeles/Orange County area, and I still have my search up to 50 miles. Is there nothing outside your town, or are you not willing to travel a little bit?

15 miles isn't very far. I live in the Los Angeles/Orange County area, and I still have my search up to 50 miles. Is there nothing outside your town, or are you not willing to travel a little bit?

Wow, 50 miles

Here I am thinking Dublin is too far away at 30.

Halcyon

I've been spotted at the gym. I can't tell if it's awkward or not but she messaged me on pof saying she has seen me there.

It can only lead to me having to never go to the gym. What am I to do.

Ovid

I've been spotted at the gym. I can't tell if it's awkward or not but she messaged me on pof saying she has seen me there.

It can only lead to me having to never go to the gym. What am I to do.
Are you interested? Then it doesn't matter.

If not, then that shit is awkward as fuck and you need to quit going to that gym.

j/k

Septimius

Date tomorrow with my future wife. Y'all watch. Just watch 😁😂

Can I just ask how you went from making a thread about what you'd do for your SO, to being dating again? I assumed that thread was about something you went through?

Just a random girl. It's the first time real life and online apps have crossed world's for me.

So, you're gonna quit working out or going to a certain gym because a girl saw you? Then later said she'd seen you work out?

What.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Can I just ask how you went from making a thread about what you'd do for your SO, to being dating again? I assumed that thread was about something you went through?

So, you're gonna quit working out or going to a certain gym because a girl saw you? Then later said she'd seen you work out?

What.
not many people noticed but in the entirety of the thread I never once specifically mentioned that my question had anything to do with me at all.

Maddocks

ever have that awkward moment when you are looking online and you see someone you know in real life on the website? Happened to me, of course I sent them a message. I shouldn't say awkward, happy coincidence maybe?

Septimius

ever have that awkward moment when you are looking online and you see someone you know in real life on the website? Happened to me, of course I sent them a message. I shouldn't say awkward, happy coincidence maybe?

Well, there was that time when my cousin and one of my better friends both found my ex on Tinder. That was probably less than two months after we'd broken up. Four year relationship. To further the fun, my friend was on a swipe right streak, and they ended up matching. He had gone back and blocked her in the mean time, though, since he realized who it was as he swiped right. Fun times.

But, hey. Seems like you'd wanted to ask this person out, anyway?

Halcyon

What.

I'm joking. My point is

A) we talk and go out. Fuck. I dump her. She still goes to gym. It is awkward.

B) we talk. I don't agree to go out with her. See her at gym. It is awkward.

C) we don't talk. I ignore the shit out of her. See her at the gym. Am confronted about ignoring. It is awkward.

D) we get together and live happily ever after. I get fat and stop going to the gym.

All roads lead to nowhere man. I'm joking that I should just stop going to the gym before any of these options take place.

Maddocks

Well, there was that time when my cousin and one of my better friends both found my ex on Tinder. That was probably less than two months after we'd broken up. Four year relationship. To further the fun, my friend was on a swipe right streak, and they ended up matching. He had gone back and blocked her in the mean time, though, since he realized who it was as he swiped right. Fun times.

But, hey. Seems like you'd wanted to ask this person out, anyway?

I wouldn't mind dating her, but I doubt anything will come of it. Who knows, I might get lucky on this one. I asked her out in person like 2 years ago and she turned me down, it would be pretty funny if she says yes online.

Five

Banned

A girl once messaged me asking if "I know this is a potentially awkward question, but do you work at <redacted>?"

We had a lovely chat for the rest of the night, and she deleted her account the next morning. She got tired of old men pining on her. I haven't spoken to her since, but it was a nice night.

Septimius

I'm joking. My point is

A) we talk and go out. Fuck. I dump her. She still goes to gym. It is awkward.

B) we talk. I don't agree to go out with her. See her at gym. It is awkward.

C) we don't talk. I ignore the shit out of her. See her at the gym. Am confronted about ignoring. It is awkward.

D) we get together and live happily ever after. I get fat and stop going to the gym.

All roads lead to nowhere man. I'm joking that I should just stop going to the gym before any of these options take place.

I really don't know what you're looking from life, if all these roads lead to nowhere. You're also already making a theoretical situation awkward. If it comes to that, can't you just handle that when you're there? You're in analysis paralysis over the fact that you go to the same gym as someone on a dating site you're at. You say you're joking, but obviously you see no way this could end well.

A living man who sits and does not lie down,
A dead man who lies down and does not sit!
After all these are just dirty skeletons.​

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Weird...over the last six months the number of responses I get on OKC has dropped to almost zero. I used to have a pretty good rate of girls returning initial messages, now almost nothing

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Heading out for a casual date with a woman from Tinder.

Also got my first match on CMB. Question, the number that texts you after the match, is the number you text to communicate with the other person, correct?

Top Bottom