• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OnLive Launching June 17, $14.95 Per Month

Aaron

Leon said:
Jeez, when did gamers become so stingy? The monthly fee is the price of a pizza, for Christ's sake.
Money you could put into upgrading your PC instead to play these games at a proper resolution and FPS.

Leon

Aaron said:
Money you could put into upgrading your PC instead to play these games at a proper resolution and FPS.

Yeah I thought of this, but then I crunched a few numbers, and Onlive, if it works, is still a much better deal. With a fourth of the cost of just the new video card I'd have to buy, I could play/finish a half-dozen games on Onlive at a great resolution, not counting the additional features. Please correct me if I'm wrong since I haven't followed Onlive's evolution other than this thread, but how is that not a fantastic deal?

Any idea on where to sign up for Canada?

Well, like everyone else I was skeptical -- but after about 2 hours playing around with the service, I gotta say they have some pretty damn impressive coding under the hood of this thing. The compression alchemy these guys cooked up is super high tech. From a pure geek perspective -- it's just cool.

I appreciate lean, mean software. On this point, OnLive rocks. The installer is just 543 KB and the OnLive program folder is under 5 Megs. It is streamlined and bloat-free. On launch, it makes a great first impression. After the logo comes and goes, the camera zooms in on this crazy planet-sized orb made out of moving screens. Each one is apparently a live gameplay feed of someone out there using the service. You can scroll through them and seamlessly spectate on anyone playing. It works so well, it's kinda creepy.

I played through the demo of Fear 2 and Batman: AA, which brings me to OnLive's #1 problem...

In-game there is a lot of lag. Anyone who tells you it's not noticeable is lying. At first it is definitely annoying, but as I played through the games, I stopped noticing and started having some fun. As it is, I doubt serious multiplayer can work on the service -- the latency is just too high. But for singleplayer, the lag is just barely tolerable.

By the way, all this experimentation occurred on my girlfriend's three-year-old $500 laptop. We're talking about a machine that struggles to play the Sims 2 locally. With OnLive however, both Fear 2 and Batman: AA looked pretty good, the framerate was high and the resolution pretty crisp. The colors were a little bit muddy, but anytime you're compressing this much video, you've got to expect some amount of artifacting. Regardless, the graphics were of a quality this little laptop could never hope to pump out on its own.

To me, OnLive seems like Steam taken to its philosophical endpoint. I've never been much of "I GOTTA OWN IT" type guy. As I've gotten older, physical disks have become something I just don't have time for. Streaming Netflix has liberated (many of us) from the tyranny of the DVD and I hope OnLive can do the same someday. I just don't think its quite ready for prime time quite yet.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
WhiskeyKnight said:
Well, like everyone else I was skeptical -- but after about 2 hours playing around with the service, I gotta say they have some pretty damn impressive coding under the hood of this thing. The compression alchemy these guys cooked up is super high tech. From a pure geek perspective -- it's just cool.

I appreciate lean, mean software. On this point, OnLive rocks. The installer is just 543 KB and the OnLive program folder is under 5 Megs. It is streamlined and bloat-free. On launch, it makes a great first impression. After the logo comes and goes, the camera zooms in on this crazy planet-sized orb made out of moving screens. Each one is apparently a live gameplay feed of someone out there using the service. You can scroll through them and seamlessly spectate on anyone playing. It works so well, it's kinda creepy.

I played through the demo of Fear 2 and Batman: AA, which brings me to OnLive's #1 problem...

In-game there is a lot of lag. Anyone who tells you it's not noticeable is lying. At first it is definitely annoying, but as I played through the games, I stopped noticing and started having some fun. As it is, I doubt serious multiplayer can work on the service -- the latency is just too high. But for singleplayer, the lag is just barely tolerable.

By the way, all this experimentation occurred on my girlfriend's three-year-old $500 laptop. We're talking about a machine that struggles to play the Sims 2 locally. With OnLive however, both Fear 2 and Batman: AA looked pretty good, the framerate was high and the resolution pretty crisp. The colors were a little bit muddy, but anytime you're compressing this much video, you've got to expect some amount of artifacting. Regardless, the graphics were of a quality this little laptop could never hope to pump out on its own.

To me, OnLive seems like Steam taken to its philosophical endpoint. I've never been much of "I GOTTA OWN IT" type guy. As I've gotten older, physical disks have become something I just don't have time for. Streaming Netflix has liberated (many of us) from the tyranny of the DVD and I hope OnLive can do the same someday. I just don't think its quite ready for prime time quite yet.
I'm wondering what kind of setup OnLive had on the E3 show floor because I didn't know I was playing from the cloud until the guy at the kiosk told me. I'm guessing that your connection to the internet is going to be the biggest bottleneck for this service.

Blizzard

Banned
Leon said:
Yeah I thought of this, but then I crunched a few numbers, and Onlive, if it works, is still a much better deal. With a fourth of the cost of just the new video card I'd have to buy, I could play/finish a half-dozen games on Onlive at a great resolution, not counting the additional features. Please correct me if I'm wrong since I haven't followed Onlive's evolution other than this thread, but how is that not a fantastic deal?

Any idea on where to sign up for Canada?
Assuming you go for a really expensive card ($300 USD 5850, I got one and haven't regretted it so far even though the price seems obscene), and divide that by four ($75), how many months are you talking about, and what game prices are you getting? I only did a brief search online but it sounds like some new games are kinda near full price unless they already have good "rental" prices in place.

Some might argue whether 720p is a great resolution, but most of my gaming is TF2 in a window so I can't say I only play high-res. :p

Banned
Leon said:
Jeez, when did gamers become so stingy? The monthly fee is the price of a pizza, for Christ's sake.

Does Onlive work for Canadians? I just spent 15 minutes on its website, and other than the free-year special open to US only, I couldn't find anywhere I could sign up for the service. Or did I miss something?
As far as I know it's only America and like Germany. Depends on the deals they make

I just tried this out - got the free year.

The tech is indeed amazing. Just played the Red Faction demo. No lag to speak of. Played just fine. The only downsides are the catalog is a bit paltry right now, and the video is only 720p, which will look great on an HDTV, but on a computer monitor, shows its weakness.

Other than that, they did deliver. Good for them.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Onlive:

3.png

Retail:

Borderlands2010-06-2318-36-04-57.jpg

Capture.jpg

I think OnLive is upscaling from something lower than 720p.

Durante

Leon said:
Yeah I thought of this, but then I crunched a few numbers, and Onlive, if it works, is still a much better deal. With a fourth of the cost of just the new video card I'd have to buy, I could play/finish a half-dozen games on Onlive at a great resolution, not counting the additional features.
Have you seen the screenshots?

mbmonk

I was selected for the beta but at the time I had only a wireless connection so I deleted the email. Well a couple of months later I bought a set of powerline adapters ( basically ethernet traffic sent through the power lines of your home ) and I am wondering how onlive will react with it. I doubt there will be an issue because my ping times to my router are consistently low.

I attempted to sign up for the "Founding Members" program last night.

Regardless definitely going to test it out.

Ricker

Both those Borderlands screens look terrible,even comparing to the 360 version...I have FIOS and a crummy PC that can barely run WoW for example,on the highest settings hehe,so I would love to try this....hopefully they strike a deal with Bell or something up here in Canada soon,if it catches on in the States.

K.Jack said:
Onlive:

pic
Retail:

pic
pic

I think OnLive is upscaling from something lower than 720p.

I'm pretty sure that bloom and at least a bit of AF is activated in the Onlive pic. Looks horrible still.. UT3 looks crap too from what I've seen. Just Cause 2 however looks great, even though it has noticeably higher system requirements than both Borderlands and UT3.

onken

Ricker said:
Both those Borderlands screens look terrible,even comparing to the 360 version....

Uh that's the point. The OnLive version looks worse than the regular version, even on lowest settings.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Leon said:
$14.95 a month x 3 = $44.85

NVidia GT240 (should handle any game at 720p with better visual quality than onlive) = $44.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130529

Game prices are not cheaper than retail for the newest games they have listed. For some games you can get them for 5 days with prices about half to one quarter what it would take to own the game in a sale.
I'm not seeing how this works out unless you can plow through borderlands in 3 or 5 days and then never want to play it again, and only want to game a couple of months out of the year.
Without the monthly fee this would make a great rental service for PC games. With the monthly fee it just doesn't add up long term. The other advantage will be for more portable hardware once they relax the hard line requirement.

mbmonk

poppabk said:
$14.95 a month x 3 = $44.85

NVidia GT240 (should handle any game at 720p with better visual quality than onlive) = $44.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130529

Game prices are not cheaper than retail for the newest games they have listed. For some games you can get them for 5 days with prices about half to one quarter what it would take to own the game in a sale.
I'm not seeing how this works out unless you can plow through borderlands in 3 or 5 days and then never want to play it again, and only want to game a couple of months out of the year.
Without the monthly fee this would make a great rental service for PC games. With the monthly fee it just doesn't add up long term. The other advantage will be for more portable hardware once they relax the hard line requirement.

I think OnLive is going to have to come down from that $15 per month price point. Or have MASSIVE discounts for signing up for longer term deals that gets the price way down for a 3 month subscription for example.

19Kilo

Got to try out a few demos last night. I'm still pretty amazed that they are able to pull this off for the most part. When they first announced plans for this service I thought there was no way in hell.

Most everything I tried had either slightly perceptible lag (Dirt2) or none at all. The exception of the four or five games I tried was Unreal Tournament - had a horrible time aiming as I was constantly overcorrecting my stick movements to try to get on target. I don't know if they will ever be able to get the lag down enough to make twitch shooters like that perfectly fine, but at the moment I couldn't play it worth shit.

Image quality was pretty good on most games, they just look a little like an upscaled, washed out DVD movie. I had occasional pixelation and artifacts, but nothing serious.

Will probably use my free game code on Just Cause 2 or Assassin's Creed 2 as I haven't played either and they seemed to run fine.

I don't know if I would re-subscribe after my free year at this point. Depends on their catalog at that point, and gaming pc is still up to par (Q9400 @ 3.2ghz, 2 x 4870's) for most stuff. Maybe if I had the set-top box and controller, or hooked up the mac mini to the TV it may find a use for me.

FoneBone

I've been skeptical, but I tried out a few demos and was really quite impressed with the tech. Not ready to spend money on this, though.

Orgun

Wait let's see if the insanity im thinking of is right, so it's $15 a month and then you have to pay extra to rent the games (was it $7 for 5 days?) :lol
Fucking nuts, I pay £3.50 a month for Boomerang and I can rent the games for as long as I want and as I send them back they send me another off my list. (of course I have to own the systems for the games though)

I'll give this a try when they lose the subscription fee, which I'm guessing they are using to pay for the backbone but from a customers point of view it's ridiculous.

Luthair

I have been playing around on onlive and the Arena is freaken awesome, but the games look like crap and just look blah. That and the prices are retarded.

Razorskin

----- ------
First two people to pm me get founding member invites. (1 year free of OnLive)

I live in Canada so I can't really take part in this.

EDIT: given to jonnybryce and poppabk

CzarTim

Man, just got in. I have FIOS, and I saw no lag or skipping. I'm not a graphics whore, so that department didn't bother me as much. There's no denying that this is a huge tech advancement. A big first step.

I should note, that I thought it said on the web site that after the first free year, it'd only be 4.95 a month. That's doable. Especially with cheap game rentals.

Edit: Just tried UTIII online for a few minutes. No lag.

bistromathics said:
I'm on the hivemind hate-train for onlive too, but that arena feature is pretty damn cool
Arena is impressive, real smooth transactions too.

Brag clips is also rather nice, instant 10 second video saved from any game you are playing others can check out.

Facism

Ricker said:
Both those Borderlands screens look terrible,even comparing to the 360 version...I have FIOS and a crummy PC that can barely run WoW for example,on the highest settings hehe,so I would love to try this....hopefully they strike a deal with Bell or something up here in Canada soon,if it catches on in the States.

The screenshot of his settings implies he put the PC version settings to the lowest possible @ 720p for comparison to the Onlive picture.

delirium

At this point I really wonder why they didn't do the internet cafe route. Charge $15 a month but you can play any game they have licensed.

Tarin02543

Well Onlive definitely lived up to its claims and i'm interested in the tech.

I'll buy it in 5 to 10 years when it's been proven and cheap.

CzarTim

I was considering buying UT3, but then I went to steam and saw I could get it along with every other UT for the same price. Plus I get to keep it forever.

Just got my invite to the "Founders Club" program and signed up. Guess I missed out on the Free game deal though ? Anyway, this has like a friends system right? If so, add me people: donatelli

So I just played a quick demo and wow, this is definitely a huge step for technology. I personally am someone that loves beautiful graphics, but this has mass market appeal written all over it. I can see the value in the service and really hope to see some great additions to the service over the course of my free membership :)

I LOVE the Arena feature as well.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Just got my 1 year.

Name is Stuggernaut on there...feel free to add me :)

EDIT : As a founding member, you really get the service for 2 years for $60 (Free for one year then $4.95 amonth for 2nd year). That is not a bad deal at all.

The service will likely grow and change a lot during that time.

Phatcorns

Just got into the founder's program thing. It is really quite amazing, but it's UTTERLY useless because you have to pay for every game? I thought the whole point was I could pay a monthly fee and play the games. I would have to pay a fee AND for the games?

No thanks.

But if they switched it to just a straight up monthly fee I'd be in. Pay 15 dollars a month and pay all the games I want? Yeah, I'd go for it.

Kibbles

Wow this sucks. Doesn't even run on my AT&T connection... which is weird cause it's sponsored by AT&T. So I logged in at a friends house who has a really fast connection it seems but we tried playing UT3 with the 360 controller and noticed quite a bit input lag. I mean I guess it's fine for people who don't have consoles and a computer that can run the game, but otherwise I see no purpose to have this over the former. I take it you won't be able to play PC mods either?

Gotta call and cancel now too because they make you put a credit card in.

Triple U

Banned
WOW.

Just got in and the tech behind this shit is amazing. Sure for the bitchy nitpickers(read elite master race) there are some notable comprises in IQ but im more or less playing a game from a couple hundred miles away and its amazing. No lag at all(not tested multi) from my at&t dsl connection (while my bro is on XBL at the same time btw). while im still iffy at this point as to whether I will actually buy some games I'm 100% sold on this tech.

The tag is dexvex so feel free to add me......

CzarTim

Kibbles said:
Wow this sucks. Doesn't even run on my AT&T connection... which is weird cause it's sponsored by AT&T. So I logged in at a friends house who has a really fast connection it seems but we tried playing UT3 with the 360 controller and noticed quite a bit input lag. I mean I guess it's fine for people who don't have consoles and a computer that can run the game, but otherwise I see no purpose to have this over the former. I take it you won't be able to play PC mods either?

Gotta call and cancel now too because they make you put a credit card in.
You were playing a PC shooter with a 360 controller? :lol :lol :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Triple U said:
WOW.

Just got in and the tech behind this shit is amazing. Sure for the bitchy nitpickers(read elite master race) there are some notable comprises in IQ but im more or less playing a game from a couple hundred miles away and its amazing. No lag at all(not tested multi) from my at&t dsl connection (while my bro is on XBL at the same time btw). while im still iffy at this point as to whether I will actually buy some games I'm 100% sold on this tech.

The tag is dexvex so feel free to add me......
Absolutely untrue for me.
There was noticeable delay in every game I played + the menu.
*My Connection is 25Mb down, 1 Up. Should have low ping considering I am in CA.

In some games it was very easy to adapt (Shatter and AAAAAAAAAA) and became unnoticeable.
But other games like JC2, UT3, Borderlands, that Brain Game, and similar titles it was something I had to constantly be aware of when I was using a mouse and keyboard.

I can imagine that using a controller it would feel much more natural and analog than the instantaneous aiming of a mouse. It was probably that which broke the immersion for me.

Pros:
-Really surprising how well the tech is working
-IQ doesn't matter that much when playing (I say this having spent 4 hours playing demos so far + Having played many of these games at max @ 60 fps @ 1080p)
-Arena, Spectating, etc works really well. I spend a good amount of time watching people struggle with the brain game:lol Also the only good gamer I saw playing was playing LEGO: Harry Potter which actually looks really good.
-30 minute 'full' demos on everything. This is probably the best thing about OnLive so far. Just fantastic.
-Occasional moments of 60fps!
-Service itself is slick and easy to navigate, everything is simple, fast, and works well

Cons:
-Horrendous difference of mouse settings per game
-Noticeable mouse delay (Enough so that you had to take it into account, occasional misclicks in Brain Game, JC2 headshots, etc.)
-Tearing
-Full Screen doesn't run so hot
-Any interruption in service will cause video macro-blocking + either no action for a few seconds, or force the connection to pause.

Nitpicks:
-Brag Clips so far are mostly poor
-Arena actually isn't all people playing, I ran into some recorded footage
Not enough people on to spectate right now (No one was playing Shatter!)

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Hazaro said:
Cons:
-Noticeable mouse delay (Enough so that you had to take it into account, occasional misclicks in Brain Game, JC2 headshots, etc.)-Tearing
-Any interruption in service will cause video macro-blocking + either no action for a few seconds, or force the connection to pause.

This is what makes OnLive such a massive failure. Im usually 20MB down 3-4MB UP and the mouse delay is horrid. Its giving it credit to say "Noticeable" mouse delay. More like unplayable mouse delay.

I put about 10 minutes into FEAR 2 and just couldnt take it anymore. I was wondering why so many of the arena players sucked so bad and it dawned on me its probly the mouse delay screwing them over as well.

Triple U

Banned
Hazaro said:

In some games it was very easy to adapt (Shatter and AAAAAAAAAA) and became unnoticeable.
But other games like JC2, UT3, Borderlands, that Brain Game, and similar titles it was something I had to constantly be aware of when I was using a mouse and keyboard.

I can imagine that using a controller it would feel much more natural and analog than the instantaneous aiming of a mouse. It was probably that which broke the immersion for me.

Pros:
-IQ doesn't matter that much when playing (I say this having spent 4 hours playing demos so far + Having played many of these games at max @ 60 fps @ 1080p)
-Arena, Spectating, etc works really well. I spend a good amount of time watching people struggle with the brain game:lol Also the only good gamer I saw playing was playing LEGO: Harry Potter which actually looks really good.
-30 minute 'full' demos on everything. This is probably the best thing about OnLive so far. Just fantastic.
-Service itself is slick and easy to navigate, everything is simple, fast, and works well

Cons:
-Noticeable mouse delay (Enough so that you had to take it into account, occasional misclicks in Brain Game, JC2 headshots, etc.)
-Tearing

Nitpicks:

Well i've been playing on a netbook in sd so maybe thats one of reasons im not experiencing those issues. But yea if they can market this right I can definitely see this having some success. I dont think it will work that well for fps titles but on anything that is playable with a controller I have to actually look for issues which being an enthusiast says a lot about the non-issues that a casual would have with the service.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Hazaro said:

Pros:

Cons:
-Tearing

Nitpicks:
I had some issues with the controls in Just Cause 2 but FEAR 2 wasn't nearly as bad. I had to tweak the sensitivity on both ends but after that the experience was somewhat similar to using a dirty wheel mouse. I think part of the problem was the framerate.

I have a high end gaming rig so I would probably never buy an OnLive game but I could see myself renting games that were still full price. The 30 minute demos are nice too.

Saty

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-onlive-article

Digital Foundry picking apart OnLive in this 6-page review. It's a good read.

In the here and now, the question marks on performance and value combined with the lack of games mean that we can't really recommend the system, but you would hope that the content side of things would improve at least. From there it's just a case of whether the individual can get over the video and lag issues.

Its huge that they've got a partnership and investment from BT. There literally isn't more perfect company for them to be partnered with and as such they actually now have a much greater chance of succeeding here in the UK then they ever will in the US. BT maintain the vast majority of the UK's broadband infrastructure and with direct links to data centres they'll be able to bypass all the usual internet traffic and there's the fact that the UK is much smaller geographically, so latency should be much improved over what US users are getting. Bandwidth caps would have been a serious issue in the UK but since they're partnering with the country's biggest broadband provider that's no longer an issue.

BT are actually going to be actively bundling the service with ther broadband and BTVision plans, and now that BTVision has Sky Sports (and is actually now the cheapest way to access Sky Sports) that's huge. I expect their new revision of BTVision STBes to have Onlive support integrated into them as its really quite trivial for them to add.

As such, Onlive could very well have a bigger install base in UK living rooms than either the PS3 or 360 just within a couple of years. That's huge.

Edit: It looks like they're using some pretty shitty hardware server side. I'm thinking something like a GT 220, that's disappointing.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Bizzyb said:
If I already own a PS3 and a 360, what is the point or advantage of getting Onlive?
Instant 30 minute sneak peek type demos, instant rentals. Play on your laptop anywhere you have a half decent wireless connection. Spectate someone playing a game.

poppabk said:
Instant 30 minute sneak peek type demos, instant rentals. Play on your laptop anywhere you have a half decent wireless connection. Spectate someone playing a game.

Yeah, + a flat fee to take on your backlog since they're going all Netflix with non-new games.

Shanadeus

Banned
And if you don't want the backlog (which only cost $7.99/month) then you can use the service itself for free and just pay for the games you buy - which are very often on 50-70% sales.

Bizzyb

Banned
Shanadeus said:
And if you don't want the backlog (which only cost $7.99/month) then you can use the service itself for free and just pay for the games you buy - which are very often on 50-70% sales.

hmmm.....very interesting what you all just said.

Thanks. I may have to give this some consideration.

vehn

Anyone try the online viewer iPad app? Just came out, allows you to spectate games which is pretty sweet when in bed!

Top Bottom