• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 1 PSN account per Vita - Cancel your preorders :(

test_account

XP-39C²
More examples:

- With this system, you can't play content from other regions in your account (for Trophies, usage of Friends List, etc.);
- With this system, only one person can use the handheld for personal purposes without resetting the settings (again, for Trophies, usage of Friends List, etc.);
- With this system, families can't "gameshare" digital content bought on one account through different Vita units.
Thanks. About game sharing, how does it work on the PSP? There you can do game sharing, but you can only use one account on the system.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Thanks. About game sharing, how does it work on the PSP? There you can do game sharing, but you can only use one account on the system.

It works basically the way Vita will, but as someone has mentioned ITT already, in the PSP you didn't have to worry about Friends Lists and Trophies because these features didn't exist back then, and now they're all locked to your account.

test_account

XP-39C²
It works basically the way Vita will, but as someone has mentioned ITT already, in the PSP you didn't have to worry about Friends Lists and Trophies because these features didn't exist back then, and now they're all locked to your account.
True, but gamesharing on different accounts will work? Thinking about if people have 2 Vitas in their home. I think that it is much more common to have multiply handheld systems compared to consoles.

Andrefpvs

More uses for the inevitable second unit everyone will buy anyway when a sweet slimmer model comes out or something. This is not a big deal.

...Are you serious? Everyone will rebuy a Vita when a slimmer model comes out? Whilst also keeping their first gen Vitas?

What world do you live in?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
True, but gamesharing on different accounts will work? Thinking about if people have 2 Vitas in their home. I think that it is much more common to have multiply handheld systems compared to consoles.

It wouldn't work. Since the digital content is (presumably) locked to the account that bought it, you'd have to buy it twice - once on each account - to play on the two Vita units with different accounts.

test_account

XP-39C²
It wouldn't work. Since the digital content is (presumably) locked to the account that bought it, you'd have to buy it twice - once on each account - to play on the two Vita units with different accounts.
Yeah, true, i had the PS3 in mind for some reason :) On PSP gamesharing only works when you use the same account indeed.

Typical Sony move of shooting themselves in the foot.
Only if it was very uncommon to only have one account on an handheld system. But it is very common as far as i know. I wonder why it is common like this though, if it is some techincal limitation or if it is made like this in an attempt to sell more devices.

DLC, as in DLC to correspond with the base games region, actually makes A LOT of sense.

Making it so you can't use EU DLC on a US copy of a game makes sense. Making it so you can't use EU DLC on an EU copy of a game because your base account is in the US does not.

KongRudi

Banned
I wonder why it is common like this though, if it is some techincal limitation or if it is made like this in an attempt to sell more devices.

I don't think it's technical limitations.
My guess it's some big retail chain, or maybe SCEJ, SCEE or SCEA who dosn't want people to be able to shop in defferent territories.

onken

Urgh :(

Accounts will almost assuredly be tied into the system settings, not saved on the memory card.

Yeah but there should be no reason why we can't store e.g. JP games on one memory card, US games on another, when you want to change, you take out the memory card, format the Vita and login with the other account. Pain in the ass but I can't see any way they can prevent that working.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah but there should be no reason why we can't store e.g. JP games on one memory card, US games on another, when you want to change, you take out the memory card, format the Vita and login with the other account. Pain in the ass but I can't see any way they can prevent that working.

That should work, not even sure you would have to remove the memory card. But like you said, it's a pain in the ass, you shouldn't have to do that.

test_account

XP-39C²
I don't think it's technical limitations.
My guess it's some big retail chain, or maybe SCEJ, SCEE or SCEA who dosn't want people to be able to shop in defferent territories.
It could be yeah. But then you have the region free stuff, so it is kinda like they want people to import :) But that is more about physical games though, not about the Vita system tself.

That should work, not even sure you would have to remove the memory card. But like you said, it's a pain in the ass, you shouldn't have to do that.
What if they treat every format/login with another account as a license tranfer? They'll almost certainly have some kind of license transfer limit like the 360 does but that would cause serious issues if you have to reactivate your content everytime you wipe your Vita.

More uses for the inevitable second unit everyone will buy anyway when a sweet slimmer model comes out or something. This is not a big deal.

This is so stupid it hurts my head. Just buy another one? You want to buy us another one since it's such a simple solution?

What if they treat every format/login with another account as a license tranfer? They'll almost certainly have some kind of license transfer limit like the 360 does but that would cause serious issues if you have to reactivate your content everytime you wipe your Vita.

I would assume that's not the case but that would be ridiculously fucked up if it was.

Just caught up in this new. Definitely unfortunate, but personally, it won't affect my Vita/PSP/PSN usage in the slightest.

Now if physical Vita game cards are region locked, that's a definite shite move.

x3sphere

They could prevent it easily. For example: when you tie a PSN account to your system it creates a unique ID that's used for interfacing with the PS Store DRM. Reset system, new "ID" is created, and games you downloaded before won't decrypt because they were tied to the old ID. You'd have to re-download them.

Hopefully this isn't the case but it's fairly simple for them to do.

Takao

Banned
Just caught up in this new. Definitely unfortunate, but personally, it won't affect my Vita/PSP/PSN usage in the slightest.

Now if physical Vita game cards are region locked, that's a definite shite move.

Yoshida said Vita game cards are region-free, so I must imagine they are.

On the system.

You can create or log into existing PSN accounts without a memory card inserted.
I've done this with the Vita units at the mall.

I couldn't find an option to switch accounts, which explains the whole formatting thing.

So yeah, If I want to play purchased items from other Regions, I just need to format the system settings, not the memory card.
Minor annoyance.

Oh, ok, will wait for the awesome 16gb vita go then.

Toodles!

Zoe

So is it confirmed to be the same as PSP? Because from description it sounds more annoying.

Kind of the same as the PSP... sounds like there are more things that are tied to an account this time, so perhaps it's necessary to wipe things each time due to insufficient on-board storage or something like that.

It was some Sony employee that told DJmizuhara that it would have multiple accounts. Some time later DJ got another response that it was like PSP's

click the arrow on the quote message to see the thread this came from.

Hey guys, I bare bad news.

If you remember back to last week I said that I was told by a Sony employee at TGS that the VITA would support multiple accounts. When I've just been informed that this isn't the case. It's exactly the same as then PSP account system.

This news makes me sad as I really wanted to both my US & Japanese accounts on my Vita When it's released on December 17th. But it does mean I'll no longer get my trophies messed up because I was logged into the wrong account., so it looks like I'll be playing mainly on my Japanese account.

Don't shoot the messenger! :/ _| ̄|○

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
It was some Sony employee that told DJmizuhara that it would have multiple accounts. Some time later DJ got another message that it was like PSP's

Okay, I just searched and found the original, but must have missed the update. Disappointing, hopefully it will change in the future.

Haven't read through the whole thread but reading the Japanese on the first page, it sounds like this will function very similarly to the PSP account system -- one at a time, but you will be able to switch anytime (in this case, through what Sony is calling "re-initializing" your system) locking out your other content until you switch back, probably.

Razlo

This is a bummer as I have a wife who is getting a Vita as well and we were going to share games. I also have a ton of Japanese PSP and PS1 games. So bummed!

Eusis

Making it so you can't use EU DLC on a US copy of a game makes sense. Making it so you can't use EU DLC on an EU copy of a game because your base account is in the US does not.
Point there, and with trophies... well, it sounds like saves will work just fine, just you won't EARN more trophies, so it'd still be a pain in the ass but won't completely wreck things for you unless you care about trophies THAT much.

If this at least saves wi-fi settings it won't be too bad, but I have to assume "factory default" includes "your wi-fi settings get nuked". :/

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
:(....

This is a huge inconvenience for those who buy games from more than 1 region...Am just wondering whether resetting to factory settings means resetting firmware (I hope not. Probably not).

Also, I am now hoping saves aren't account locked either.
Because I want to at least be able to play my Vita card games (with saves from account A) when I switched to account B.

So is it confirmed to be the same as PSP? Because from description it sounds more annoying.

Far more annoying...Especially with things like friends list and whatever things that get tagged to your account. (probably affects APPs as well)

Eusis

This is a huge inconvenience for those who buy games from more than 1 region...Am just wondering whether resetting to factory settings means resetting firmware (I hope not. Probably not).
I can't imagine this. Sony would be completely insane to include resetting firmware, because unless I'm misunderstanding what you mean that'd entail resetting to earlier versions... and if someone figures out how to hack the PSVita that's basically a built in Pandora's Battery. Firmware would undoubtedly be left to the latest version so you wouldn't need to update that every time.

Your account is... let's say... american.

You import a game from.... EU region. DLC released. You cant buy nor use the dlc if you buy it through other means.

Luigiv

Wow, that's even worse then the PSP's situation. What bullshit.

This wont stop me completely from buying one but it will greatly delay my purchase.

Top Bottom