• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 1 PSN account per Vita - Cancel your preorders :(

androvsky

...What?
Seriously? What?

That is RETARDED.

Try it yourself, let us know if we missed something.

edit: oh yeah, can't copy over minis without downloading them again either. Installed PSP games still have the copy option, but it tells you to sign in with the account that purchased it, even if you are signed into the correct account. That's why I'm hoping it's a DRM screwup that'll get fixed soon.

Takao

Banned
Ok, so I can buy a EU VITA and create a new JPN account and only play Japanese games? or can I buy retail EU/US games and they work fine - but I don't get access to their online feature set?

You can buy an EU Vita, set up a Japanese account and buy games from the Japanese store. You can log out, and remove some data to access the other stores, but doing so locks you out of your Japanese purchases until you sign back in to your Japanese account.

No matter what, you will be able to play JP, US, or EU retail games on your Vita. Though, if they have DLC, updates, or online passes, being able to use them will be subject to your PSN account's region.

I love how everyone is trying to spin this into the "you can still play" while going thru a lot of hoops.

Then it will get custom firmwared, then rampart piracy, and it will be the 2nd psp all over again.

*at least the hardware will sell

Zoe

I wouldn't mind the new PSP/PS3 install thing if they would just let us assign an Album name to the install bubbles x_X

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I love how everyone is trying to spin this into the "you can still play" while going thru a lot of hoops.

Then it will get custom firmwared, then rampart piracy, and it will be the 2nd psp all over again.

And I like how you keep making jokes and overblowing the whole thing.
How many 32gb cards do I need to purchase again?

And I like how you keep making jokes and overblowing the whole thing.
How many 32gb cards do I need to purchase again?

Has there been any mention in how big the games are?

What if everyone is paying 39-49 for 50MB?

Or on the other case: what if games are 3-5GB?

That would make the small memory cards useless.

And yes, I wanna really know, if I'm gonna spend 400 on a new system from the get go, might as well know how I'm gonna get screwed.

This is becoming another good'ol 599 PS3 launch

patsu

edit: oh yeah, can't copy over minis without downloading them again either. Installed PSP games still have the copy option, but it tells you to sign in with the account that purchased it, even if you are signed into the correct account. That's why I'm hoping it's a DRM screwup that'll get fixed soon.

It is possible that the PSP related software got a DRM re-encode to use new policies/framework/format (e.g. UltraViolet update). So everyone needs to redownload their PSP library.

It is ok to ask for authentication again since on PS3, everyone can see all the downloaded content once logged in automatically. Someone else may visit your den and try to copy all your apps to his or her PSP/Vita. But it should be session based. i.e. don't ask for password for every single transfer. Ask once every 30 minutes for example.

Has there been any mention in how big the games are?
10-15% of the card is reserved for save space (on those games that don't need additional storage), so I'd imagine most developers will easily use the remaining 3+ GB.

And remember, these guys have had the luxury of 50GB Blu-Ray discs. Dropping to less than 10% of available space isn't easy.

androvsky

It is possible that the PSP related software got a DRM re-encode to use new policies/framework/format (e.g. UltraViolet update). So everyone needs to redownload their PSP library.
I tried downloading a PSP demo after discovering this and it refused to install, but it offered to copy to a PSP instead (with a similar message about the Vita scrolling at the bottom), so it looks like that's how it's supposed to work. If there's a new framework in place, not all PSP titles on the store have been updated yet. I'd like to think that it works this way so that only PSP titles that the publisher will allow to be played on the PS3 will install, but PS1 games and mins won't copy either if they're installed. I can try redownloading one of those, I guess...

edit: yeah, if you download a mini now and install it, the bubble stays so you can copy it over. Who thought that was a good design for people with more than one or two games?

It is ok to ask for authentication again since on PS3, everyone can see all the downloaded content once logged in automatically. Someone else may visit your den and try to copy all your apps to his or her PSP/Vita. But it should be session based. i.e. don't ask for password for every single transfer. Ask once every 30 minutes for example.

The thing with Ultraviolet is you can move stuff around without any trouble, it's up to the device to check if your account has the rights to run the content (in theory anyway, that part of Ultraviolet isn't supposed to launch until next year). That's how it worked before 4.0 anyway; sure, you can see all the content, but when you try to move it to the system it complained about being the wrong owner. iirc, you had to sign into the proper account to do a transfer, and it automatically activated the PSP to the correct account.

My problem is this is adding a lot of trouble to moving your content around, since there's a limit of 32 games you can have sitting as install bubbles, they can't be put into folders, and they sit at the top of your games list.

Lain

You can't copy DLC or demos without redownloading them as well. Every piece of PSP games/demos/DLC sitting in my PS3 is useless right now unless I re-download the stuff and accept to have a mess in my XMB.

This shouldn't be unexpected. This is exactly the same as the PSP (only that you switch accounts by defaulting to factory settings rather than switch by logging out and back in again)

More inconvenient yes, but not massively so (assuming that there's no convoluted setup procedure)

Izayoi

Banned
More inconvenient yes, but not massively so (assuming that there's no convoluted setup procedure)
The convoluted setup procedure is that you have to reconfigure every single one of your settings any time you want to play a game from a different region.

It's vastly different from just logging in and logging out.

This shouldn't be unexpected. This is exactly the same as the PSP (only that you switch accounts by defaulting to factory settings rather than switch by logging out and back in again)

You post makes no sense it contradicts itself. We should have expected it because it's considerably worse than the PSP way of doing it? Ya... Why didn't I know this would happen.

GorillaJu

Sounds like the kind of thing that could be changes through a firmware update. Maybe let Sony know how you feel about this?

If it remains as is it'll be a big blow to foreigners living in Japan. I suppose it's more likely I'll be buying DLC for my American games, so using my US account would be best.

neptunes

I think they just want people to have their own vita really.

I'm not familiar with PSN but are there options to change your region if you actually *gasp* move to another region? Do licenses transfer over as well or no?

I think they should make PSN's DRM more flexible, then this whole thing wouldn't be an issue.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'

Minions

This is getting painful. It's almost as if Sony's plan to meet demand at launch is to discourage people from wanting to purchase the Vita at launch. I've been back and forth about whether to purchase the Vita day one. As it stands it looks like Amazon has vastly outsold the shipments they are going to get so I may just end up canceling and waiting due to that as well.

I'm still wondering why amazon does not have Vita memory cards for pre-order yet (at least as far as I can tell).

Gustav

Banned
Both Nintendo and Sony hope you do. Rule of handhelds has always been 1 handheld per person. Consoles are seen as family devices.

Even the iPad does not allow for multiple profiles on your device. Which makes sharing the device a lot harder.

Eusis

Even the iPad does not allow for multiple profiles on your device. Which makes sharing the device a lot harder.
It helps a bit for the iPad that one person can buy apps, authorize the iPad owner's computer, and load them there to be synched (well, that's the case for the iPod Touch anyway). At least then if there's a game or app they want to play but the owner doesn't, then as long as they don't mind sharing it's not a huge problem. On stuff like this or other tablets like the Kindle Fire it's a pain in the ass, especially this with even wi-fi (presumably) reset.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It helps a bit for the iPad that one person can buy apps, authorize the iPad owner's computer, and load them there to be synched (well, that's the case for the iPod Touch anyway). At least then if there's a game or app they want to play but the owner doesn't, then as long as they don't mind sharing it's not a huge problem. On stuff like this or other tablets like the Kindle Fire it's a pain in the ass, especially this with even wi-fi (presumably) reset.

Its more of a PITA on ipad for me than it would be on Vita. Apple are either incredibly short-sighted or incredibly arrogant if they think ipad is a personal device, only used by one person. Ours is in the lounge and four people use it regularly - three play games on it.

I'd love to have separate accounts that each of us can sign into, so we can have our own save games.

Add in icloud saves syncing saves between my ipad and ipod touch, and it gets even more complicated

Eusis

Incredibly arrogant or completely apathetic that for every family that has more money than sense and buys everyone iPads, there's countless that want the hot Apple device but knows it's more sensible to share that one with everyone. And yeah, in a way that IS worse than the Vita, being closer to a computer than just a personal device whereas the Vita's more comparable to the iPod where... yeah, everyone probably WOULD prefer their own.

It's frustrating though that this seems to be a general rule for portable devices PERIOD. I can't think of any other than laptops that don't pull this crap, and laptops are using desktop OSes so they'd have to go out of their way to shut down multiple accounts.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Nintendo: "This is why we never give you any options, so you'll never be able to bitch when we take them away."

Eusis

Nintendo: "This is why we never give you any options, so you'll never be able to bitch when we take them away."
I still bitch because everything's more of a pain of the ass than everyone else! If I had artifacting like on the Wii on 360 I could not sweat it and get a new system or whatever when it was practical, and maybe be a bit more rushed on the PS3 but similar situation there. Wii, send in for repair to protect my VC games or hope the Wii U has a transfer ability.

Seriously though, no profiles on the Wii and a handful of games that only have one save/profile? The fuck.

Yep, the problem here is not that the 1 account limitation is something specially restrictive, taking into account the competence. The problem is that a lot of people have different PS3 accounts with several content (PSP or PS1 games) bought in those accounts.

If they manage Vita as an extension of PS3 (being able to install games from your PS3, no matter the account that you used it to download them, and play all them into your Vita account), there won't be any problem. But if, like PSP, you only have access to the games that you bought with one account, people won't be able to easily play all the games that they already bought.

nib95

Banned
Don't see an issue with this besides using other region accounts to get stuff early or free. I use only one account with my 360/PS3/PC etc.

test_account

XP-39C²

I'm pretty sure that custom firmware would have happened regardless.

Yep, the problem here is not that the 1 account limitation is something specially restrictive, taking into account the competence. The problem is that a lot of people have different PS3 accounts with several content (PSP or PS1 games) bought in those accounts.

If they manage Vita as an extension of PS3 (being able to install games from your PS3, no matter the account that you used it to download them, and play all them into your Vita account), there won't be any problem. But if, like PSP, you only have access to the games that you bought with one account, people won't be able to easily play all the games that they already bought.

It doesn't sound good does it. Oh well, I think i'll save myself some money.

Number45

Agree. They need to set it up like the PS3 at minimun or a better variation of it at best. Not make it more contrived. #fail

For the vast majority of people it's not more contrived. You buy your Vita, create a new PSN account/log in with your existing PSN account and away you go - no change.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

They painted themselves into a corner. I don't think they expected people to have multiple region PSN accounts when they launched the PS3. They just didn't have IP blocking to stop it. So now enthusiastic gamers have multiple accounts, friends and games spread across all of them, and want a flexible solution to incorporate that into their portable gaming.

Eusis

For the vast majority of people it's not more contrived. You buy your Vita, create a new PSN account/log in with your existing PSN account and away you go - no change.
Actually, I think for a lot of people the problem's different: here most people seem miffed about content across multiple profiles they themselves own. What's more likely to be a problem for the average user is that they can't set up separate profiles for each person to keep saves/trophies/purchased content distinct.

Then again this doesn't seem to be causing an uproar with tablets, I imagine most people just share a single account and either are ignorant about making separate ones or just don't care.

Top Bottom