• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Only 5 countries will have full Xbone voice commands at launch [Update in OP]

It's almost like they added the kinect on as an after thought. And the Xbox live infrastructure not being in place in time. I guess it's not like they had any experience with voice recognition or a gaming network or years to prepare any of this...

The biggest feature is that it plays games. That'll be there in all 13 markets.

Are you seriously insulting my intelligence? It can't possibly be its biggest feature if its competitor does it too.

And never mind paying an $100 for a useless device that's being both marketed and sold with the console, right? I mean, after all, its biggest feature has only been done by every console before it...

BigDug13

From the documentation (cboats importers guide) I get the feeling that voice control is determined by locale set

My guess is that will be changed so you can choose the kinect language however you want

As it should be

So you can be on a non-supported locale while using US english

Just baseless speculation though

And if that doesn't happen, there's going to be a lot of US locale X1's around the world

The only obstacle is the requirement for locale specific credit card on your account for purchases in that locale.

Voice commands will be available at launch in US, UK, CA, FR, and DE

This doesn´t make any sense. What´s keeping them from saying that voice commands are only available in english, french and germain?

Even the command Xbox On is limited to those countries.

Beats me...

Chobel

It makes me wonder how much disruption the DRM reversal actually caused there. Presumably having to completely revise the whole policy framework of the console has had a cost in terms of diverting resources and could be one of the reasons they seem to be struggling to get on an even keel.
This.

Does that means that what is in the OP is true, Kinect voice command support only 5 countries?

Somnia

Does that means that what is in the OP is true, Kinect voice command support only 5 countries?

He said he'd get back to us on that. What he is saying here I assume is that reversing the DRM wasn't some simple task. Its taken money, time and effort to change everything which could have delayed other things I would guess.

If they still didn't announce a release date in a couple of weeks,who knows,this might actually happen...they sure as hell wont announce it at the TGS lol...

Funny enough the 360 was announced at TGS 2005

http://www.ign.com/articles/2005/09/15/tgs-2005-xbox-360-launch-date

So who knows?

The only obstacle is the requirement for locale specific credit card on your account for purchases in that locale.

Forgot about that

Now I really don't know how this is going to work

I guess you switch between locales whether or not you want to use the kinect or not

Is that a kinect function?

Xbox switch locale to UAE

Of course it would only work in one direction haha

Wow this is legitimately confusing

No. More comprehensive answer coming.

Thanks Albert

Always good to get clarification on real world use cases and all that

Jomjom

Banned
It's not like they're not both going to sell out at launch anyway right? No matter when that is.

They will sell out either way, but if they launched in 2014, Sony would have already resupplied with a large existing base of users from its November launch. Those people who have been playing for months will influence their friends to buy PS4s to play with them. This is essentially what happened this current gen and it took forever for the PS4 to catch up in userbase. MS cannot afford to launch in 2014 if it wants to reach that point of critical mass that the 360 did.

Look at another example, the RROD problem. In all likelihood MS knew about the problem prior to launching, but they launched anyway so that they could get it out earlier and start building a userbase earlier. Having some hitches is not going to deter people from adopting the system once lots of people own it. You can iron things out after people get the boxes in their homes.

tfur

This doesn´t make any sense. What´s keeping them from saying that voice commands are only available in english, french and germain?

Not hardware yield, not voice control. Its now DRM reversal.

Its your fault guys. :/

Good lord, I hope we don't get this as the next excuse.

They will sell out either way, but if they launched in 2014, Sony would have already resupplied with a large existing base of users from its November launch. Those people who have been playing for months will influence their friends to buy PS4s to play with them. This is essentially what happened this current gen and it took forever for the PS4 to catch up in userbase. MS cannot afford to launch in 2014 if it wants to reach that point of critical mass that the 360 did.

Honestly the argument of whether or not MS should launch this year is kind of moot as we all know they're going to

They've already announced a November launch

The only thing worse than launching after a competitor (a significant time difference, not a week) is announcing you'll launch at the same time and then having to roll back that release date and miss your launch

That would seriously worry market analysts and I'm not sure it would be so easy to sweep under the rug

It makes me wonder how much disruption the DRM reversal actually caused there. Presumably having to completely revise the whole policy framework of the console has had a cost in terms of diverting resources and could be one of the reasons they seem to be struggling to get on an even keel.

2-3 years of work down the drain. The fact they are releasing anything this year is mind-blowing to me. But it also explain why there's a day 1 patch. They're just turning it off, it's still in there in the hardware. Any other alternative probably would have made them miss xmas time. That's my guess at least.

PJV3

I think Albert needs to number his info like firmware, whole numbers for things he's definitely sure about, .5 or less for something the engineers have told him.

1KlcMyB.gif

(thanks Garrett 2U)

First, people should understand – I don’t always know every detail happening with the program. Even though I run Product Planning (I'm not in PR!), that means we set the stage early for the features and HW, but a lot happens going through the development process. I stay very close as we approach launch, but I don’t always know the specifics when things change, so sometimes (frequently) I have to ask someone on the team. I also don’t run PR or Marketing, so I don’t see every piece of material that makes it to the public. In this case, there was an inconsistency between some small print on Xbox.com, and what I understood was happening – so I went to get more details.

Turns out the answer to this question is… complicated. It’s been an education for me as I’ve been looking into it.

There is no way that I could do justice to it in a post, so the marketing team is working on a chart that gives clarity on what locales, languages, and voice features are available in each country. Trying to write it down would be confusing. Stay tuned for a more detailed explanation, but just to give clarity:

In November
- We will launch in 13 geos
- 10 of those geos will support some voice features
- We support 8 languages

The 8 Languages at Launch are:
1) English – US
2) English – GB (WW)
3) French
4) Spanish – MX
5) Spanish – ES
6) Italian
7) German
8) Portuguese

NOW – the nuance to this is that some voice *features* won’t be available in all countries right away. “Xbox On”, for instance, is only available in 5 (hence the confusion on Xbox.com in the small print).

BigDug13 – the FAQ is correct, for launch. When you choose a language for your console, you will be offered the list of countries it is supported in. Using your example, if you choose Italy as your language, you only get Italian. We will continue to add more supported combinations over time. For example in Canada we will support English and French. The opportunity to “mix-and-match” languages and countries is something we’re looking to do post-launch.

Again, sorry for all the confusion on this. Look for a more detailed explanation coming. Will most likely come through Xbox Wire, or Xbox.com.

demolitio

Sure glad they only delayed their launches in various European countries so they could get proper Kinect integration. As if we all didn't know that was an excuse already, they always manage to throw even more doubt into the equation with another press release.

If that were the case, then shouldn't it only be launching in 5 countries right away? I'm surprised Australian and New Zealand aren't on the list too.

It just seems so scattered right now that it's kind of disappointing.

1KlcMyB.gif

(thanks Garrett 2U)

First, people should understand – I don’t always know every detail happening with the program. Even though I run Product Planning (I'm not in PR!), that means we set the stage early for the features and HW, but a lot happens going through the development process. I stay very close as we approach launch, but I don’t always know the specifics when things change, so sometimes (frequently) I have to ask someone on the team. I also don’t run PR or Marketing, so I don’t see every piece of material that makes it to the public. In this case, there was an inconsistency between some small print on Xbox.com, and what I understood was happening – so I went to get more details.

Turns out the answer to this question is… complicated. It’s been an education for me as I’ve been looking into it.

There is no way that I could do justice to it in a post, so the marketing team is working on a chart that gives clarity on what locales, languages, and voice features are available in each country. Trying to write it down would be confusing. Stay tuned for a more detailed explanation, but just to give clarity:

In November
- We support 8 languages

1) English – US
2) English – GB (WW)
3) French
4) Spanish – MX
5) Spanish – ES
6) Italian
7) German
8) Portuguese

NOW – the nuance to this is that some voice *features* won’t be available in all countries right away. “Xbox On”, for instance, is only available in 5 (hence the confusion on Xbox.com in the small print).

BigDug13 – the FAQ is correct, for launch. When you choose a language for your console, you will be offered the list of countries it is supported in. Using your example, if you choose Italy as your language, you only get Italian. We will continue to add more supported combinations over time. For example in Canada we will support English and French. The opportunity to “mix-and-match” languages and countries is something we’re looking to do post-launch.

Again, sorry for all the confusion on this. Look for a more detailed explanation coming. Will most likely come through Xbox Wire, or Xbox.com.

Thanks for the update!

Finalizer

[...]

...Oi. That kind of confusion is exactly not what's needed for the Xbox One right now. Sheesh.

That said, thanks for looking into things Albert.

Chobel

1KlcMyB.gif

(thanks Garrett 2U)

In November
- We support 8 languages

1) English – US
2) English – GB (WW)
3) French
4) Spanish – MX
5) Spanish – ES
6) Italian
7) German
8) Portuguese

Thanks for the clarification.
EDIT: This should be in the OP

Amir0x

Banned
Thanks again Albert. I know things are difficult and fluid, getting a system out to market is tough as shit with all that's going on in these systems these days and as launch draws near things just get crazier and more confusing.

That said, I hope this allows you the understanding to why gamers like me have become so skeptical about the Xbox brand. I purchased almost everything on my 360 last gen and it was my most played console without any even remotely close competition. It's really difficult to get enthusiastic about Xbox One because it's hard to know what's real and what's not anymore, what's true and what's not, who knows what and when... it's just really messed up right now Albert. I hope you don't get frustrated by the reactions and take this into consideration.

tfur

I guess after reading this last post, it could be beneficial for us on the forum for you to define what goes into running Project Planning as it relates specifically to your role.

Reading your post, makes me feel like it does not mean what I think it does.

Thanks.

Krakn3Dfx

Thanks again Albert. I know things are difficult and fluid, getting a system out to market is tough as shit with all that's going on in these systems these days and as launch draws near things just get crazier and more confusing.

That said, I hope this allows you the understanding to why gamers like me have become so skeptical about the Xbox brand. I purchased almost everything on my 360 last gen and it was my most played console without any even remotely close competition. It's really difficult to get enthusiastic about Xbox One because it's hard to know what's real and what's not anymore, what's true and what's not, who knows what and when... it's just really messed up right now Albert. I hope you don't get frustrated by the reactions and take this into consideration.

I'm with you. I'm not even sure what the Xbox One is going to be at launch, and I'm not going to be the one to put down $500 to find out. If it looks like a worthwhile investment, I'll revisit the idea of going both consoles again sometime next year.

He asked this:
You replied this:

And now you answer this:
STUFF

MORE STUFF

wtf.gif

if you choose Italy as your language, you only get Italian. We will continue to add more supported combinations over time. For example in Canada we will support English and French. The opportunity to “mix-and-match” languages and countries is something we’re looking to do post-launch.

That's... disappointing.

In November

NOW – the nuance to this is that some voice *features* won’t be available in all countries right away. “Xbox On”, for instance, is only available in 5 (hence the confusion on Xbox.com in the small print). .
Well... that's weird. But I take it for now. Thanks for taking your time.

Most Australians are fully capable of summoning a cruel, tongue-in-cheek mockery of a 'Murrican accent when necessary. "Exbaaaahks, Aaaahn. Exbaaakhs, laaahnch Collar Doody."

So to whether or not it's voice support in 5 countries...

I know you have said you're not in the know, and had to search for answers, but this certainly dances around the question. What are "voice features?" How does MS define using Kinect voice control vs. voice "features?" And why are "some features" only allowed in 5 countries at launch? How much will you actually be able to use the Kinect for voice if you're not in one of those 5 countries? Is this going to be covered in this "marketing chart?"

Even the command Xbox On is limited to those countries.

Beats me...

I imagine they're sitting there programming it with every stereotype they ever absorbed from a movie or Bugs Bunny cartoon. Getting it to work with "jolly 'oliday, xbox on, guvna!" was a triumph of software engineering. Teaching it to understand "Oy!" and "b'gorrah" and "oy wonna wotch the proice is roight" is a delicate process that can take months.

PJV3

I know you have said you're not in the know, and had to search for answers, but this certainly dances around the question. What are "voice features?" How does MS define using Kinect voice control vs. voice "features?" And why are "some features" only allowed in 5 countries at launch? How much will you actually be able to use the Kinect for voice if you're not in one of those 5 countries?

A chart with words and countries is coming, well that's the impression I got.

EvB

I know you have said you're not in the know, and had to search for answers, but this certainly dances around the question. What are "voice features?" How does MS define using Kinect voice control vs. voice "features?" And why are "some features" only allowed in 5 countries at launch? How much will you actually be able to use the Kinect for voice if you're not in one of those 5 countries?

He already said there is a chart coming that explains what functionality kinect will have for each supported language .

Well... that's weird. But I take it for now. Thanks for taking your time.

That's why it took me so long to get back to everyone. I got a very interesting refresher on how Voice works in the system, which parts are local, which parts use "the cloud" (back-end LIVE services) to process, etc.

It was actually really interesting, but summarizing it all up in text would be confusing. We decided a grid was easier, so the Marketing team is working on it.

<editorializing> - when I look at the chart, it feels like the vast majority of what we have talked about as voice support (like "Xbox, go to Ryse") works in all 8 languages. There are handful of exceptions.

KurowaSan

That's... disappointing.

very disappointing. That means if I wanna have my system in English and play my game's in English, I'm gonna have to "move" to the UK and whenever I wanna buy something off the marketplace change the region back to Spain. That sure is a pain in the ass. :\

That's why it took me so long to get back to everyone. I got a very interesting refresher on how Voice works in the system, which parts are local, which parts use "the cloud" (back-end LIVE services) to process, etc.

It was actually really interesting, but summarizing it all up in text would be confusing. We decided a grid was easier, so the Marketing team is working on it.

<editorializing> - when I look at the chart, it feels like the vast majority of what we have talked about as voice support (like "Xbox, go to Ryse") works in all 8 languages. There are handful of exceptions.
better hurry up with this chart before sites start picking up false info.

Believe it or not, Kinect recognizes more commands than "Xbox On" :p
We won't know the extent of the support for various locales until PR releases that chart.

Indeed, hence why I bold the part where he says the "Xbox On" command is only an instance of a number of voice features not at available at launch...

Still, this is more clear than the fine print on the website.

To be fair, it sounds like he just means that the OP in itself is not entirely true in its most broad stroke, that some of these voice-related features will be available to those outside of the five tier-one countries.

...Now, what those actually end up being, who the hell knows. The vague PR speak is a carefully crafted tango, after all.

f3nV7Td.jpg

lol i died :D

Top Bottom