• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ontario ex-nurse pleads guilty to 8 counts of first degree murder

FrankCanada97

Roughly the size of a baaaaaarge
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ex-woodstock-nurse-pleads-guilty-to-eight-first-degree-murder-charges/article35173985/

Elizabeth Wettlaufer, a former nurse tending after elderly patients in Southwestern Ontario, has admitted to being a prolific serial killer, pleading guilty Thursday to eight counts of first-degree murders.

"When you injected them with insulin you knew you did not have their consent," Justice Bruce Thomas asked.

"Yes your honour," Ms. Wettlaufer said quietly.

As the charges were read, she repeated 14 times "Guilty" -- for eight murders, four attempted murders and two aggravated assaults, all committed by injecting patients with insulin.

Her plea came seven months after her arrest last fall, in a case that raised questions about her ability to continue working as a nurse, looking after frail patients and having access to medications, despite her struggles with addiction and mental-health issues.

She now has admitted that between 2007 and 2014 she killed seven residents at the Caressant Care facility in Woodstock.

She was fired by Caressant Care facility because of repeated disciplinary problems for medication-related errors. She then killed an eighth patient in 2014 at Meadow Park nursing home in nearby London, Ont.

She had also been charged with attempting to murder four more patients by injecting them with insulin, and with aggravated assault on two other people, also by plying them with insulin.

Ms. Wettlaufer only resigned her licence from the College of Nurses of Ontario on Sept. 30, 2016, when police began an investigation and interviewed her.

The tip that led to her arrest came from Toronto's Centre for Addiction and Mental Health. She had started treatment at CAMH on Sept. 16 and the psychiatrist who attended her, Alan Khan, later provided a statement to the Toronto Police Service.

This person was making the news around here when it first came to light that she was accused in the serial killings of eight elderly residents of care homes. It seems she is sparing the family and friends the grief of going through an extended trial. Now, they finally have closure.

Wettlaufer faces life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years. I don't know if the 25 year eligibility gets stacked with the 8 counts.

Cases like this always makes me worry about how I should care for my parents when they grow old. I hesitate to put them care homes and essentially put their lives in control of essentially strangers.

Silexx

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ex-woodstock-nurse-pleads-guilty-to-eight-first-degree-murder-charges/article35173985/

This person was making the news around here when it first came to light that she was accused in the serial killings of eight elderly residents of care homes. It seems she is sparing the family and friends the grief of going through an extended trial. Now, they finally have closure.

Wettlaufer faces life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years. I don't know if the 25 year eligibility gets stacked with the 8 counts.

Cases like this always makes me worry about how I should care for my parents when they grow old. I hesitate to put them care homes and essentially put their lives in control of essentially strangers.

It does not.

Glix

Its so tough. We did everything we could to have grandma live with us, but her condition was bad and we all work and were not home all day, etc...

We HAD to put her somewhere. We picked the closest place. Visited almost every day, and hired a woman not associated with the home to go every day for four hours and take care of g-ma and make sure she was alright.

Also I have heard from people in the industry that if you visit frequently and get to know the staff they will have more empathy towards your loved one and you have less of a chance of one of these horror stories happening.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
What a horrible abuse of power. Just because killing 8 people makes you sound pretty bad-ass does NOT make this o.k.

Silexx

Keeping a cold blooded serial killer away from society and sending a message that mass murder means you'll never taste freedom is accomplishing something.

I don't know why people always see "25 to life" and immediately assume "only 25 years to serve". More often than not, these convicts serve out the life sentence, especially when they've racked up a body count.

Vibranium

Banned
I had never read this case in the paper or news here; it's absolutely horrifying. 2 of dead were World War 2 veterans, every single of one of them were robbed of the last years of their lives.

She'll be 74 by the time she's up for parole, but who knows, she might end up staying in there.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Wait, I thought psychologists/therapists aren't allowed to tell cops about your sessions.

If it means harm to yourself or others then they can, and can also testify against you, at least it in the US.

And in fact if they come across information that would implicate a patient in any kind of potential violent crime or a patient makes it clear their intentions are to continue hurting others or commit a crime they are compelled by law to report you.

Skyzard

Banned
Serial killers seem so common in the US.

Countries That Produced The Largest Number Of Serial Killers

1 United States 2,743
2 England 145
3 South Africa 112
4 Canada 101
5 Italy 94
6 Japan 91
7 Germany 75
8 Australia 75
9 Russia 70
10 India 65

http://www.worldatlas.com/articles/countries-that-have-produced-the-most-serial-killers.html

It's weird how much higher it is.

Is it all those serial killer documentaries...too much focus on them maybe?
I mean they are weirdly interesting, they might motivate some people.

What to do with elderly relatives is a huge problem, OP. When my grandma had her first stroke and couldn't care for herself, my mom took her out of the nursing home one of her siblings put her in and we cared for her for a time (taking her to a nearby adult daycare during weekdays). Eventually she had another stroke and her mobility and ability to do basically anything was severely decreased and we were forced to put her in another nursing home. It was a huge pain in the ass, sometimes her clothes or other personal effects would go missing and I'm pretty sure the nurses were eating snacks we put in her room for her. She feel out of bed once, got some marks on her skin that were most likely from a lack of movement, etc. I really hope I can do better for my mother when the time comes.

I'm glad this woman is facing justice, and I'm sad she was able to kill and injure so many people.

Top Bottom