• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OP fucks up another thread title...(Halo Wars:DE Early Access)

Poster#1

Like MCC wasn't enough.

They announced an early access to Halo Wars:DE if you preorder Halo Wars 2. Guess what, the game is still in development (like Steam EA) and they are sending codes for unfinished product.

I can't comprehend such incompetence from a developer with a flagship title. Please someone take Halo from them and give it to the Coalition.

VRMN

So...it's early access? You can't buy Halo Wars: DE by itself, I don't think, and you can't even pay for Halo Wars 2 right now since Microsoft doesn't charge for preorders until 10 days before release, so...

...cancel your preorder?

Cranster

Banned
What's wrong with it?
From what I've played so far there are no issues so far. The only issue I have had was redeeming the Token Microsoft gave me to unlock it which is more or less an issue with the Microsoft Store and not 343 Industries fault. The only fault you can pin on 343 Industries is that their PR department failed again at properly communicating specifics about what this game's "Early Access" meant ahead of time.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
OP is mad that a bonus game that comes with Halo wars 2, which received early access today, is still a work in progress. A bonus game that releases with halo wars 2 in February......yeah.....

hwalker84

What's wrong with it?
Supposedly it works well. The problem is the message was completely fucked. They said early access to Halo Wars DE. Not Halo Wars de early access aka unfinished game. Never once was it said the game wouldn't be finished until Halo Wars 2 was released.

From what I've played so far there are no issues so far. The only issue I have had was redeeming the Token Microsoft gave me to unlock it which is more or less an issue with the Microsoft Store and not 343 Industries fault.
Ah ok sounds fine, would have been nice if OP detailed what makes it an early access title.

So just some poor communication from Microsoft?

Gwyn

I haven't received my code yet so care to explain what you mean by "not finished"?
What's the problem?

Dam OP, at least tell us what's wrong with the game.

Claiming a remaster as somehow unfinished is a bit much. This isn't even a quarter on the scale of what was attempted with MCC

ALL UNITS

They announced an early access to Halo Wars:DE if you preorder Halo Wars 2.

Okay.

Guess what

What?

the game is still in development

Um, you said it was "early access". You even mentioned Steam. I've never bought or played an early access game on Steam, and even I know the term implies access to games still in development.

I can't comprehend such incompetence

It's still unfinished. Everyone thought it was an early release of the complete game.
Hmm. Was this even discussed in any detail on the weekly blog entries?

Cranster

Banned
Ah ok sounds fine, would have been nice if OP detailed what makes it an early access title.

So just some poor communication from Microsoft?
I just made an edit, but 343i did fail to inform their customers ahead of time that the game is technically unfinished and will be receiving updates to bring it to a final fixed build in the coming weeks or so.

Spasm

I haven't received my code yet so care to explain what you mean by "not finished"?
What's the problem?

I don't think he knows. I don't think anyone knows. It seems like the worst of it is just confusion, and maybe the DL tokens not working initially.

Didn't 343i make an absurd amount of money with Halo 5's microtransactions? Why do they even need to go the early access route?

AAA first party studios doing this gives me pause. Especially when it's 343i, who have (imo) completely wrecked the Halo franchise.

This is a weird move for a supposed professional dev studio, but hey, everyone is doing weird stuff now right?

https://news.xbox.com/2016/12/20/halo-wars-definitive-edition-early-access-available-now/

The game you’ll get today is early access – it’s only available to people who pre-ordered the digital version of Halo Wars 2 Ultimate Edition. It also means that we’re still putting the finishing touches on the game before launch, so expect to see more improvements come online between now and February. The team worked insanely hard to bring both campaign and multiplayer online before release in February and we can’t wait to hear what you think.

Drayco21

Making a thread to say it's broken without actually explaining what's broken seems dumb.

I'll never let go of how they swept MCC under the rug though; it should have been a definitive, preserving Halo experience, and instead just ended up a tire fire.

Pretty cool they're letting people see it early and unfinished. Don't see the issue here since it's over a month from release and people aren't paying for it as a standalone product. Maybe be clearer about it though if people are confused.

The only part that bothers me is the sending access codes out in waves.
In my opinion, everyone should be able to play today that pre-ordered the Ultimate Edition.

I understand the Early Access release structure.

Like MCC wasn't enough.

They announced an early access to Halo Wars:DE if you preorder Halo Wars 2. Guess what, the game is still in development (like Steam EA) and they are sending codes for unfinished product.

I can't comprehend such incompetence from a developer with a flagship title. Please someone take Halo from them and give it to the Coalition.
They promised early access and they gave early access?

They promised early access and they gave early access?

Gears of War 4 promised early access and the game was finished when it released early. The problem is they used the same messaging for the Halo Wars 1 early access that they did with Gears's and Forza's causing people to think it just meant they'd get to play a finished game early and not some unfinished crap.

EDIT: Yeah, I just read the Windows Store page for it and I see nothing that indicates the game would be unfinished..

Mrbob

The issue the OP didn't address is MS/343 didn't advertise Halo wars de as incomplete on the Halo wars 2 ultimate edition store page. It's disappointing but not sure if mega outrage worthy. However outrage culture is basically what the internet is good for nowadays.

Kssio_Aug

But what "unfinished" means in this case? It doesn't feature a campaign? Not all the maps? Still many bugs? Someone please enlighten me...

Stopped taking you seriously when you said to give it to Coalition lol

I would LOVE to meet the portfolio manager who decided t was a great idea to release a game during the couple of weeks where a majority of the US workforce takes days off though.

Metzhara

"Is this a thing?" I asked myself when reading the OP.
I asked this because I always felt like the inclusion of the "Halo DE Early Access" was exactly that...
Early access to a game which wasn't complete.
I guess I just assumed.

ZeroX03

Banned
Damn OP is just seething with hate.

These are the issues that they've mentioned in their FAQ. Seems pretty minor.

Early Access & Known Issues
Halo Wars: Definitive Edition is being released as an Early Access game beginning December 20, 2016. While the game is a complete experience, we are considering this initial availability “Early Access”, as there are some tweaks and improvements that will be made to the game as we support Halo Wars: Definitive Edition over the coming months.
Being an Early Access title means that we need to acknowledge a handful of issues that we are looking at improving in the near future:
On PC, the first time you run the game, there can be a delay of approximately a minute before the game launches. On subsequent launches, the game will launch normally.
We are looking to improve the multiplayer game flow and messaging in the future. This means you move to the most appropriate screens as you step through the process of starting/joining a multiplayer match.
In multiplayer, you need to click the Search button at the bottom of the screen when searching for a match, click the Ready button when you have joined a match and are ready to start the game, and click the Publish button when creating a new multiplayer match. Clicking these buttons will allow you to proceed with the game.
In some cases, voice chat defaults to “all”, even if you’re on opposing teams. In a 1v1 game situation you may want to mute your microphone to avoid inadvertently giving strategic insights to your opponent. On team games, depending on the platform, you may want to use Party Chat instead. This obviously isn’t ideal and is something the team will address going forward.
If your computer hardware is lower end, please go to the Options menu and turn down the game settings to optimally enjoy the game.

The issue the OP didn't address is MS/343 didn't advertise Halo wars de as incomplete on the Halo wars 2 ultimate edition store page. It's disappointing but not sure if mega outrage worthy. However outrage culture is basically what the internet is good for nowadays.
There's two sides:
1. The game officially comes out in February and it's a preorder bonus, playing it a bit earlier than expected is better than nothing.
2. It was poorly communicated that Halo Wars DE was releasing in early access format

Either way the game doesn't come out for another 2 months, I personally don't see any reason to be outraged.

LNBL

There's two sides:
1. The game officially comes out in February and it's a preorder bonus, playing it a bit earlier than expected is better than nothing.
2. It was poorly communicated that Halo Wars DE was releasing in early access format

Either way the game doesn't come out for another 2 months, I personally don't see any reason to be outraged.

I mean, I wouldnt expect to get early access to a finished game 2 Months before it's actual release date. When has that ever happened?

Sure, they could've elaborated more on their definition of Early access since there seem to be many uses for that word. But OP seems a bit overly angry at 343 to start with..

Top Bottom