• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OpenCritic for The First Time add a PSA Warning Players About the Purchase in Cyberpunk Review Page

ethomaz

Banned
NyYXNdL.png

IMO Metacritic should follow the initiative but I'm 99% they won't.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Cyberpunk dropped to 87 on open critic? Holy hell!
It is 86 now.
They added these reviews:

I hope it shows the right page with Dec 14 reviews.

Last edited:
Eh, why? They're an aggregate site. User reviews and outlet reviews are supposed to give you that info. That's how it literally worked with every game, even some really shitty as games. Why some exception for Cyberpunk 2077?
Why is an aggregate site editorializing? It literally defeats its purpose.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
TBH, this was obvious to most people before launch. It isnt a surprise that they hid the console versions. Every single reviewer and website that tracks this stuff shouldve had this disclaimer before launch.

It's too late now and despite what CD PR says, sony isnt accepting refunds.

ethomaz

Banned
Eh, why? They're an aggregate site. User reviews and outlet reviews are supposed to give you that info. That's how it literally worked with every game, even some really shitty as games. Why some exception for Cyberpunk 2077?
Because reviewers didn't tell anything... they accept to hide the state of the games on base consoles with the excuse CDPR not allowed them.

Last edited:

Karunamon

The problem is that since they glom all the reviews together regardless of the reviewer's platform, there's no way to disambiguate whether a complaint about a problem is because of the shitty console port or if it's a bug that impacts the PC version. I don't like that second paragraph either, but without it, anyone reading the reviews likely would think that the PC version is unplayable, when it plainly isn't.

ethomaz

Banned
TBH, this was obvious to most people before launch. It isnt a surprise that they hid the console versions. Every single reviewer and website that tracks this stuff shouldve had this disclaimer before launch.

It's too late now and despite what CD PR says, sony isnt accepting refunds.
Yeap I realized that the thread is wrong because Sony is indeed not accepting refunds.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
They obviously should have scrapped the game on last-gen consoles. I'm sure it was a classic A - B = C scenario though.

imsosleepy

If only they just made this game next gen and pc only. This would have been the defining game of next gen and pc and no game would come close to it in a long time. It could have legs like breath of the wild. People who get a switch buy it. But they got greedy and wanted to get the 100mil ps4 players as well even though the game runs like shit. They thought they could get a big load of them on pre orders alone if they created enough hype

The problem is that since they glom all the reviews together regardless of the reviewer's platform, there's no way to disambiguate whether a complaint about a problem is because of the shitty console port or if it's a bug that impacts the PC version. I don't like that second paragraph either, but without it, anyone reading the reviews likely would think that the PC version is unplayable, when it plainly isn't.

So it's an OpenCritic problem? Why didn't this matter with The Outer Worlds (Switch)? Borderlands 2 (Vita)? It just feels really weird to react now. Why would an aggregate site suddenly care? Why wouldn't they long ago had gone the metacritic route?

It's a buggy piece of shit on PC too. Should be the same psa for all of them

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
So it's an OpenCritic problem? Why didn't this matter with The Outer Worlds (Switch)? Borderlands 2 (Vita)? It just feels really weird to react now. Why would an aggregate site suddenly care? Why wouldn't they long ago had gone the metacritic route?
The OC exists because they didn’t agreed with MC separated platform and how they put more weight in some reviewers than others.

ethomaz

Banned
It is not like PC is free of bugs too.
It is a bug fest in every platform... except PC looks way better and you can brute force performance.

Last edited:
The OC exists because they didn’t agreed with MC separated platform and how they put more weight in some reviewers than others.

The latter is what I thought OC existed for (the whole weighing system). The former is literally retarded, games can be devastatingly different performances in the multiplatform era (whereupon many top ranking games have unplayable ports). So why have they suddenly decided that they were wrong all along?

ethomaz

Banned
The latter is what I thought OC existed for (the whole weighing system). The former is literally retarded, games can be devastatingly different performances in the multiplatform era (whereupon many top ranking games have unplayable ports). So why have they suddenly decided that they were wrong all along?
I have my issues with separes platforms reviews but it is not related to not being fair... it is indeed fair.

But that the case of MC they aggregate by platform but when the reviewers doesn’t say which platform he played they add to all platforms... seems fair at beginning but if a reviewer reviewed the PS4 version of Cyberpunk but there is talk about where he played it will be spread to all platforms on MC.

And most reviewers plays in single platform as the game being reviewed to all platforms.

Hugare

Because this game is selling like hotcakes

Comparing it to Outer Worlds (port) and Borderlands fucking Vita is something else

ethomaz

Banned
Seems like there is another shot...
OC owner is saying CDPR only allowed reviews before launch on RTX 3000 cards.

Because this game is selling like hotcakes

Comparing it to Outer Worlds (port) and Borderlands fucking Vita is something else

?

So it's selling like hotcakes, meaning that more attention is spread all around about the state of the game? Is there some kind of logic behind "it's selling well, therefore we need to make extraordinary action?". Not really. It's an aggregate site after all. The whole problem is one of their own making if they don't separate by console. And anyone thinking the hype is driven by checking OpenCritic would be delusional.
Metacritic separating by platform is one of its good aspects, as a lot of ports and weaker console releases can be hit or miss. (its weighing, not so much) It has honestly saved me a lot regarding ports of otherwise solid games to platforms like PS3, Switch and Vita.

Once you start editorializing, then you've opened up pandora's box. What's the next thing they'll comment on? Really, they should've just said they're rebuilding the site to avoid problems like these in a public statement. Otherwise picking one game out to suddenly take action, is overall suspicious and makes it look like it's deliberately picked out.

We've overall had a mechanism to deal with things like these. Which are publication reviews and user reviews. Otherwise what about when some games had terrible framerates on Xbox One compared to PS4?

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Seem fine, though it mostly highlights the issue of merging all reviews regardless of platform

Metacritic has a different page for every platform.
Currently the 90 metascore is only for the PC version. If you go to the Ps4 page you get this:

ZEzXDwz.jpg

Yes but when search “Cyberpunk 2077” the only thing that comes up with a review score is the PC version.

BeardGawd

Banned
This was for publicity more than warning actual consumers.

Seem fine, though it mostly highlights the issue of merging all reviews regardless of platform

Metacritic has a different page for every platform.
Currently the 90 metascore is only for the PC version. If you go to the Ps4 page you get this:

ZEzXDwz.jpg

Yeah, this is what we've been used to all along. Reviewers and/or users calling things out. Kinda the point of a aggregate site. You just gather various reviews and score them by a metric. Of course, there's lots of things to criticize aggregate sites for, but what they are kinda supposed to do is merely make a calculation of gathered opinions.

Then again, it seems a lot of people disagree with me there, so I guess I'm in the minority opinion on this. I just get cautious when a single case of a game that's controversial before its release, suddenly gets unique actions taken, when the same existing problem was there all along in the aggregate site.

Yes but when search “Cyberpunk 2077” the only thing that comes up with a review score is the PC version.

That's because not enough reviews are registered for the other versions. The other versions show up as "TBD", because Metacritic favors critic/outlet reviews.
Now, maybe they are intentionally holding back reviews? I have no idea. But metacritic can suddenly take a long time until a big barrage of reviews flow in.

It seems CDPR has been pretty scummy regarding versions of the game made available, which would explain most of it and would be something outlets should be wary about. PC version seems from some I've seen to be not doing so good considering the requirement as well and that allegedly CDPR might've done something scummy there as well to misrepresent the game on PC. That's something that seems far more fair to point out regarding its metacritic score.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Yeah, this is what we've been used to all along. Reviewers and/or users calling things out. Kinda the point of a aggregate site. You just gather various reviews and score them by a metric. Of course, there's lots of things to criticize aggregate sites for, but what they are kinda supposed to do is merely make a calculation of gathered opinions.

Then again, it seems a lot of people disagree with me there, so I guess I'm in the minority opinion on this. I just get cautious when a single case of a game that's controversial before its release, suddenly gets unique actions taken, when the same existing problem was there all along in the aggregate site.

That's because not enough reviews are registered for the other versions. The other versions show up as "TBD", because Metacritic favors critic/outlet reviews.
Now, maybe they are intentionally holding back reviews? I have no idea. But metacritic can suddenly take a long time until a big barrage of reviews flow in.

It seems CDPR has been pretty scummy regarding versions of the game made available, which would explain most of it and would be something outlets should be wary about. PC version seems from some I've seen to be not doing so good considering the requirement as well and that allegedly CDPR might've done something scummy there as well to misrepresent the game on PC. That's something that seems far more fair to point out regarding its metacritic score.

I wish outlets refused a copy from CDPR would just buy the base console version and review it so the score show up on MC.

Last edited:
They obviously should have scrapped the game on last-gen consoles. I'm sure it was a classic A - B = C scenario though.
Too much sales and money just sitting there since PS4/Xbox One is 120+ million userbase so they release on those platforms to cash in.
Also it's holiday season. Can't miss that either. More money to be had.

Happy this is all blowing up in their faces.

ethomaz

Banned
They probably should.

But then they looked the preorders numbers for PS4/XB1 and decided to support these platforms.

reptilex

Banned
Yeah well...we should not forget the huge corruption of gaming reviews in pseudo-"news" outlets and "review" channels knowing how much this has become degenerate disguised advertisement.

"The new Macbook has less compatibility? Here's why this is good for you"
"Last of Us has a very bad writing, redundant gameplay, repetitive environments, incoherent design and questionable morals...This is the best game ever released and here's a 10/10"
"This new Galaxy/iPhone is more fragile, has less battery, bad design all around with protuberant parts, and nothing new. This is the best smartphone you can get on the market"
"Immortal Fenyx Rising has one of the worst artistic direction in recent years, one the blandest design and writing, and is a pretty much a bad copy of BoTW with some badly done hack&slash. This is why we give it a 9/10"

And I could go on and on, you know the drill. But I'm surprised that despite Cyberpunk having been criticised by SJW and propaganda outlets, it didn't get that much of a bad rating except from few medias that should be banned from aggregators, and despite that CPDR still fucked-up HUGE on the game, not just the bugs and the optimisation, but even the design, especially the all-around immersive breaking disgusting NPC/Crowd design, and even bad game design scheme from 5 years ago.

Last edited:
Unplayable performance is a bug. And Cyberpunk isn't bluescreening for PC/XB users, but is for PS4 users.

No, that's just poor optimisation

I've tried it on PS4, PS5 and PC and they all suffer the same issues with the PS4 being the worse because it runs like shit

I still got immersion breaking bugs on all of them

I stil get missions breaking on all of them

I still get crashing on all of them

Last edited:
Top Bottom