• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opencritic's top 10 games of 2018 (no remasters)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
mighty-man.png

With the reviews for Smash trickling out, I think its safe to finally make an end of year list. I prefer Opencritic over Metacritic because its more selective over reviewers and has a much better presentation.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - 97 (PS4, Xbox)
God of War - 95 (PS4)
Super Smash Bros Ultimate - 94 (Switch)
Forza Horizon 4 - 92 (Xbox, PC)
Shadow of the Colossus - 92 based on 88 reviews (PS4)
Celeste - 92 based on 48 reviews (PS4, Xbox, Switch, PC)
Return of the Obra Dinn - 90 (PC)
Monster Hunter World - 89 based on 121 reviews (PS4, Xbox, PC)
Dead Cells - 89 based on 81 reviews (PS4, Xbox, Switch, PC)
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - 89 based on 56 reviews (PC)
Tetris Effect - 89 based on 54 reviews (PS4)*

https://opencritic.com/

PS4: 6 of the top 10, 2 exclusives
Xbox: 5 of the top 10
Switch: 3 of the top 10, 1 exclusive
PC: 6 of the top 10, 2 exclusives

Looks like 2018 was a pretty good year regardless of your platform. Go out and play these.
*for people who see SotC as a remaster and not a remake

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Out of those, I only played Dead Cells and MHW.

I'm a bit surprised that Dead Cells made the cut since it didn't get nearly as much attention (i.e. advertisement) as games like Hollow Night, Celeste, and Iconoclasts.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Have only played and completed God of War which is my 2018 game of the year. RDR 2 is in my backlog. Don't care about the other eight games whatsoever and why is Shadow of the Colossus on the list when it says no remasters? SOTC for PS4 is NOT a remake. Resident Evil 2 IS a remake. But whatever.

Sub_Level

Have only played and completed God of War which is my 2018 game of the year. RDR 2 is in my backlog. Don't care about the other eight games whatsoever and why is Shadow of the Colossus on the list when it says no remasters? SOTC for PS4 is NOT a remake. Resident Evil 2 IS a remake. But whatever.

Added the next one in line, Tetris Effect, for people who agree with you. Luckily it didn't change the platform metric heh :)

YayNJ

Banned
I must be the only person on earth that thinks the Smash Bros games are actually boringly meh.

Elfstar

SOTC Ps4 is a complete remake, RE2 is more of a reimagining.

odhin

Weird SotC being on the list tbh.
Call it a remake instead of a remaster all you want, its still SotC as I remember from 2005(?).

kunonabi

I cant say much about this year since I mostly played stuff from my backlog. I think the only current games I played were spider man and tomb raider and i didnt like either of them.

Sub_Level

I cant say much about this year since I mostly played stuff from my backlog. I think the only current games I played were spider man and tomb raider and i didnt like either of them.

Well bruh you know what you need to do. Your new 10-game backlog for 2019 has been posted.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
List just shows how silly it is to consider some random people's average as any kind of metric, as if there aren't a ton more games that you'll enjoy equally to those few.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Red Dead Redemption 2 - 97 (PS4, Xbox)
God of War - 95 (PS4)
Super Smash Bros Ultimate - 94 (Switch)
Forza Horizon 4 - 92 (Xbox, PC) - Game Pass
Shadow of the Colossus - 92 based on 88 reviews (PS4)
Celeste - 92 based on 48 reviews (PS4, Xbox, Switch, PC)
Return of the Obra Dinn - 90 (PC)
Monster Hunter World - 89 based on 121 reviews (PS4, Xbox, PC)
Dead Cells - 89 based on 81 reviews (PS4, Xbox, Switch, PC)
Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire - 89 based on 56 reviews (PC)
Tetris Effect - 89 based on 54 reviews (PS4)*

I have the bolded. Spider-Man deserves to be on the list, it's better than most of those games.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
List just shows how silly it is to consider some random people's average as any kind of metric, as if there aren't a ton more games that you'll enjoy equally to those few.

That's NOT what this list is trying to convey at all.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That's NOT what this list is trying to convey at all.
If you'll enjoy them equally then they're equally good and should have the same grade rather than have games losing or gaining points in ways that don't affect said enjoyment.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
If not for Red Dead, God Of War would’ve definitely swept the awards this year. Sadly for Santa Monica Studio, the fucking monster that is Red Dead 2 appeared and stole everyone’s cake.

I’ve played every game on that list except for Pillars Of Eternity.

Spider-Man is definitely one of the years best games, lame that it didn’t score high enough to feature on the list. Some people just have truly poor taste, no other way to explain it

Denton

Played the top two. GoW was ok, 7/10 game, but RDR2 is a masterpiece.

I will play Shadow of the Colossus one day soon.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Dead cells is great but, fuck the game has the most horrible boss, fuck you hand of the king.

Takes me an hour to get to that asshole and I get owned in 20 seconds. I can reliably make it to his second phase, but fucking hell hes a powerful bastard

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Platform A: X exclusives
Platform B: Y exclusives
Xbox One: 0 exclusives

:|
I mean, that's going to be the case for any MS "exclusive" going forward. Any game they release is going to be on PC (unless it's a second/third party and they demand it's console only). Hell, if their streaming initiative takes off, they'll also be on phones and tablets as well.

BANGS

Banned
Weird SotC being on the list tbh.
Call it a remake instead of a remaster all you want, its still SotC as I remember from 2005(?).
It's not a remake, it's a remaster. They remade the graphical assets and the sound for sure, but the core of the game is still the same...

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I must be the only person on earth that thinks the Smash Bros games are actually boringly meh.
I don’t think they’re boring — they’re just not my cup of tea — there’s a difference.

I personally can’t get into it at all, but I can appreciate what it does from an outside perspective.

AgentP

It's not a remake, it's a remaster. They remade the graphical assets and the sound for sure, but the core of the game is still the same...

Wait, a remake would change the core game? Like R&C would become a FPS?

odhin

Yeah, I know, hence not being in "approval" of the game being on this list, but whatever.
I think a lot of people call it a remake because we already had a remaster, for the ps3. But I disagree. I mean, in the visuals department, its night and day difference, but that's pretty much it.

It doesn't need to become a different genre. For instance, a good example of an actual remake is REmake imo (Resident Evil for the gamecube). I think Yakuza Kiwami might be aswell but I haven't actually played the original ps2 one so can't say for sure.

Meted

Like a lot of people have said, seems crazy that spiderman isn't on that list, or is the voting process somewhat different so as to not allow too many games from the same system/genre?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Looks like 2018 was a pretty good year regardless of your platform. Go out and play these.
Pretty terrible year for me sadly. The only new "big" release worth purchasing at full price for me this year was Crash N-Sane Trilogy (Switch). Smash looks quite good as well, but too similar to U and 3DS to justify buying it again. GoW might be relevant to my interests, but I have no PS4 and I do not like the cinematic direction, so it is not sufficient reason to buy a PS4. Interestingly, the other game I would in principle be interested in this year, is a PS4 exclusive as well, Astrobot. But buying a PS4 AND PSVR for only one game I really want to play a lot (Astrobot) and a small selection of games I would buy if I had the system (GoW3 & 4, basically) is a bit crazy.

BANGS

Banned
No, but R&C would run on a brand new engine using brand new source code, instead of just trading visual and audio assets with all the existing elements which is exactly what a remaster is...

I think Yakuza Kiwami might be aswell but I haven't actually played the original ps2 one so can't say for sure.
Kiwami is definitely a remake...

Last edited:

ROMhack

Does the NeoGAF community do end of year awards? I feel like there's a great opportunity here.

Last edited:

AgentP

No, but R&C would run on a brand new engine using brand new source code, instead of just trading visual and audio assets with all the existing elements which is exactly what a remaster is...

So as a developer, how did you get that PS2 source to run so well on an x86 based PS4?

Sub_Level

Like a lot of people have said, seems crazy that spiderman isn't on that list, or is the voting process somewhat different so as to not allow too many games from the same system/genre?

What voting? I'm just posting the top 10 2018 games by raw Opencritic score in sequential order. Games that have the same score are then ordered by the number of reviews the score is based on.

tenor.gif

Meted

What voting? I'm just posting the top 10 2018 games by raw Opencritic score in sequential order. Games that have the same score are then ordered by the number of reviews the score is based on.

tenor.gif
Didn't really look into it to be honest, guess that's why it seems odd that spiderman is not on the list when it seemed like everyone loved it

Top Bottom