• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Operation Wolf 3; straight cheesy in an era of amazing cheesiness - and other 90s bangers

VGEsoterica

Cheesy is a hard thing to quantify in video games; what is intentionally cheesy and what just kinda "got made" and happened to have a style or a gameplay hook that just screamed B movie. If there is one thing that has aged hilariously (neither bad nor good) its the digitized sprite arcade games of the 90's....especially if Taito was involved!

Operation Wolf 3 is that pure delicious cheese you know and love. Basically just a B movie light gun game with some absolutely hilarious digitized sprites that look straight out of the early 90s in the best and worst ways possible. Throw in some weird sci-fi elements like a robot that has a brain and spine inside of it, a couple of helicopter and harrier jet battles...and you have a mix of cheese and RoboCop all put together in one hilariously fun and sadly forgotten about game.

But that got me thinking...what's GAF's feels on cheese? and what are some other cheesy ass games from the 90s? Because there are plenty. Street Fighter: The Movie comes to mind. Maybe Batman on the STV / Saturn

What do you have for me Gaf?

hlm666

oh and most of the sound effects in the game are from Lethal Weapon lol...probably a SFX library but a fun and weird fact
You have any idea if there are any good options for lightguns on modern displays? It's one thing that really makes me hate I sold my crt's in the ye ole days. I was playing around with emuvr and while it's a really cool thing it still can't get that thing where your standing next to your friend with a gun each rocking the house of the dead up etc.

You have any idea if there are any good options for lightguns on modern displays? It's one thing that really makes me hate I sold my crt's in the ye ole days. I was playing around with emuvr and while it's a really cool thing it still can't get that thing where your standing next to your friend with a gun each rocking the house of the dead up etc.
I would look around on Facebook marketplace. My friend just found tons of people getting rid of their old TV's for really cheap. We started playing time crisis on it.

VGEsoterica

Sinden and Gun4IR are good but I keep CRT TVs around for the real deal

VGEsoterica

I had heard of Sinden a few years back, will have a look into gun4ir judging by the name though it sounds like a similar idea to sinden. Thanks for the info.
Similar idea, diff technologies. One uses IR sensors and the other uses a camera that deals with a border to do math on location. Both good options though!

VGEsoterica

I would look around on Facebook marketplace. My friend just found tons of people getting rid of their old TV's for really cheap. We started playing time crisis on it.
yeah if you just want a basic composite input CRT you can basically get em for free on Craigslist, etc

Isnt Operation Wolf 3 just Area 51 with different enemies?
Also:

Revolution X
Lethal Enforcers
Mad Dog

Same category of cheeziness.

ElCasual

I lost my mind when saw that the guy of Operation Thunderbolt is the same of Operation Wolf (Dont remember the name). And to me the sound of Crossbow still haunting me, in special the laugh of the ghost.

Last edited:

Lunarorbit

The first operation wolf was the first game I ever played that shook the "controller". The controller being a machine gun pointing at the screen but it was cool t that it had kick back as you shot

Neff

Def play this then. Story wise there is no connection but it’s as good as the first two

I'm sure 3 plays great but I love the audio/visual style of 1 and 2. The intro to Thunderbolt is one of my all time favs.

I lost my mind when saw that the guy of Operation Thunderbolt is the same of Operation Wolf (Dont remember the name).

Roy Adams, who is joined in Thunderbolt by Hardy Jones.

Top Bottom