• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Opreation Tiger and the era of ASS UGLY 3D (give me all your ugly games Gaf!)

Kadve

Some look bad, some look good, some just prove that even though graphics have advanced well beyond what they immitate (even if they do use newer tech) they can still offer engrossing experiences (on top of being the only way to actually complete a project by a solo or small dev). Some fail.

I don't know. It all just looks like laziness to me. Like they think "early 3d" in itself is an art style ignoring how devs of the time would try to go out of their way to hide the low-polygon look trough actual artistry.

AREYOUOKAY?

z2hNafq.png

At least FF7 had the decency to give characters eyes and a mouth.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It all just looks like laziness to me.
That's just your ignorance talking (and blindness to their beauty but ok), given they still take years of hard work (again, usually for a smaller team). You should have left it at "I don't know". Of course early 3D wasn't an art style, each game had its own, nor is it treated as such now, given how totally different all those look, with their own actual art style within different constraints. I don't think it's physically possible to confuse any of those games for each other no matter how superficially you look (and of course there are loads more where those came from). Now if instead you take a look at games that are inspired by specific titles rather than a whole era, say all the horror games trying to ape the Resident Evil or Silent Hill original PlayStation entries, often showcased by HauntedPS1/DreadXP/EEEK3, yes, there will be more similarities there for sure, that's an art style they aim for.

Last edited:
I hated that game, it came with my jaguar, it went back the very next day along with the Atari jaguar XD

Worst console ever.
Yep, so don’t know if you remember that the jaguar was released in NY and San Francisco 6 months before the rest of the nation and I remember waiting anxiously for it to release in the rest of the country (I’m from Clearwater Florida). Calling the EB at the Countryside Mall every day wondering if it had shipped to them. I’m sure the got sick of some 17 year old constantly calling and pestering them about the Atari jaguar lol.
God I hated the game so much, but I was trying to convince everyone around me at how advanced the Gouraud Shaded polygons were, meanwhile Crystal Dynamics already released Total Eclipse and crash and burn on the 3do with textured mapped polygons lol.

anthony2690

Banned
Yep, so don’t know if you remember that the jaguar was released in NY and San Francisco 6 months before the rest of the nation and I remember waiting anxiously for it to release in the rest of the country (I’m from Clearwater Florida). Calling the EB at the Countryside Mall every day wondering if it had shipped to them. I’m sure the got sick of some 17 year old constantly calling and pestering them about the Atari jaguar lol.
God I hated the game so much, but I was trying to convince everyone around me at how advanced the Gouraud Shaded polygons were, meanwhile Crystal Dynamics already released Total Eclipse and crash and burn on the 3do with textured mapped polygons lol.
Oh man that sounds rough, I remember years later telegames in the UK, were literally selling brand new boxed Atari jaguars for £50 a pop, as they just couldn't get rid of them, apparently they are worth a pretty penny now though!

I've never seen a 3do before in real life, did they even come out in the UK I wonder XD

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Hydlide%2B2.gif

Sega Saturn had some really ugly 3d games, like Virtual Hydlide.

It was the generation of butt ugly 3d games, but hey - at least it was new and therefor always better than 2d games like SotN or Rayman.
Yeah this belongs to a very shortlived era of 3D where no one really understood how striving for "realism" was counterproductive with such limited technology. Killing Time on 3DO or AvP on Jaguar. All those games that wanted to use FMV or pre rendered sprites with super low poly environments.

Ironically a lot of the flat shaded stuff that preceded it kind of holds up, visually. At least if you can ignore the frame rate. Virtua Fighter and Starglider 2 and Silpheed still look kinda cool.

Top Bottom