• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Order Up is the most underrated Wii game, ever.

Salsa

1475big.png

Just started replaying this and loving every minute of it (again).

I dont know if its the boxart, the "oh cooking, must be for girls" way of thinking, or what the hell, but this game is as fun and addictive as it gets. Great example of a game build to fit the console. One of the best uses of the Wiimote ive seen.

Even the graphics are great (mostly the artwork). Truly a hidden game that deserves to be on the library of anyone who owns a Wii. You really should look it up.

Some gameplay

Reviews

Am i alone in this GAF ?

I don't know if it's the most underrated Wii game, but it's certainly up there. I honestly thought it was a diner dash ripoff at first. I bought it primarily for my wife who immediately became hooked. Then I recommended it to a friend who was looking for some games for his gf, and she got hooked as well. It's an extremely well-made little game. I'd recommend it to pretty much anyone.

Lijik

Up until the ad someone did in the "Gaf makes gaming advertisements" thread, I had written this game off because of its cover and publisher. I've been meaning to pick it up since then but haven't yet

Salsa

Lijik said:
Up until the ad someone did in the "Gaf makes gaming advertisements" thread, I had written this game off because of its cover and publisher. I've been meaning to pick it up since then but haven't yet

You really should.

Speevy said:
Who ever perpetuated this idea?

Anyway, yeah seems like a fun game.

I really dont know, im trying to find excuses for this game to not do as great as it should :(

somnific

nope, this is a great game, albeit a bit short. i was definitely clamoring for more when i done. apparently supervillian has stated that they've already done a lot of work for the Order Up 2-- here's hoping that they can find a publisher.

Salsa

somnific said:
apparently supervillian has stated that they've already done a lot of work for the Order Up 2-- here's hoping that they can find a publisher.

Whoa, didnt know about this. I really hope they do, fingers crossed.

JWong

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Actually, this one is very similar to that. When I played it, that was my first reaction.
Doesn't seem as fast paced to be fun. My Cooking used analog sticks to the EXTREEEEEEEME, so watching something like this where it's just timing and waggle doesn't look that fun.

I dont know if its the boxart, the "oh cooking, must be for girls" way of thinking, or what the hell, but this game is as fun and addictive as it gets.

Cooking games are only for girls? Clearly they've never heard of the Hell's Kitchen game. My sister stopped playing it, citing it was "too stressful" and "nightmare-inducing."
She's not a very good gamer.

Speevy

Banned
I played this briefly at my nephew's house, and while fun, it requires too much multi-tasking for my puny brain.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
JWong said:
Doesn't seem as fast paced to be fun. My Cooking used analog sticks to the EXTREEEEEEEME, so watching something like this where it's just timing and waggle doesn't look that fun.

Okay, well, as someone who has actually played the game, I'm telling you it's pretty fun and hectic at times. You have to balance four or five cooking stations at the same time, near the end of the game you've got to season everything just right, and while it does use gestures they work well. As far as time management games go, this is a great one, and as far as cooking games go, it's a great one too.

You can make the game easy if you just go for "good" dishes and make heavy use of the "helpers", but if you want to get the best ratings, it's quite hectic.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Bought this for my wife (she loves all of the restaurant type games) and I've played it just as much as she has.

:lol

Salsa

Stumpokapow said:
Okay, well, as someone who has actually played the game, I'm telling you it's pretty fun and hectic at times. You have to balance four or five cooking stations at the same time, near the end of the game you've got to season everything just right, and while it does use gestures they work well. As far as time management games go, this is a great one, and as far as cooking games go, it's a great one too.

You can make the game easy if you just go for "good" dishes and make heavy use of the "helpers", but if you want to get the best ratings, it's quite hectic.

Yep, at first it may seem really easy (that gameplay video doesnt really do it justice) but the multitasking gets pretty crazy later on.

Alex

I like cooking themed things, but this doesn't look very interesting to me personally. Maybe I'll try it in the future, but I just bought a slew of really good, price dropped games. Man there's a lot of good titles on the cheap lately

There was this demo of an old Japanese cooking game they put on an OPM disc way back in the day, like a fast paced restaurant management game. That was really fun too. And cooking show downs in Suikoden II!

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I had heard this game was actually quite good, and the video looked pretty fun actually. I had written it off to be a cheap Diner Dash ripoff with a bare-bones presentation, but I dunno, I might pick it up if I see it cheap.

I actually stepped into a GS to purchase this game awhile back. Unfortunately, the transaction was put to a grinding halt when the cashier pulled out a gutted copy.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sammy Samusu said:
I've played this game and it's quite funny, but gets boring after a few hours.

It only lasts a few hours :p

SalsaShark said:
The presentation is actually really nice.

Yes, it really is. Actually, the characters remind me of the sort of look of Political Machine 2008.

Salsa

ronito said:

Nice choice.

Also, this was posted on Supervilliain Studios official website on may 20:

…because it could mean something.
…or it could mean nothing.
…or it could be something good, which ends up being nothing.
…or it could be nothing (but still good), which ends up being something…also still good.

Right.

…or it could just make you chuckle (also still good) because that happens now and then.

Click it already!

With this following image.

chef_move_4web.jpg

Order up 2 for move ? :O

If true, i hope there`s a Wii version :(:(:(:(:(

mattp

Alex said:
I like cooking themed things, but this doesn't look very interesting to me personally. Maybe I'll try it in the future, but I just bought a slew of really good, price dropped games. Man there's a lot of good titles on the cheap lately

There was this demo of an old Japanese cooking game they put on an OPM disc way back in the day, like a fast paced restaurant management game. That was really fun too. And cooking show downs in Suikoden II!
yup, this is the "my cooking" game everyone is talkign about. it's SO SO good
you can get it on japanese psn for 6 bucks!

mattp

you can figure the game out in 10 minutes
there's no reading required. if you've seen the game you'd known what i mean
once you figure out the menu you're good to go

Belfast

JWong said:
Yes you are.

None of the cooking games for Wii has ever beaten My Cooking for PS1.

Truth spoken. Too many of my friends' hands have been busted by the ice shaving mini-game.

mattp

Speevy said:
Um...I have the game. It's not really as easy as you're saying.
i don't know man, the menus are japanese yes. but you can figure those out pretty quickly. once you get into the actual game the "instructions" on how to do each action are all just images anyway. no text
unless you're talking about understand the story between levels. but honestly..who cares about that

Speevy

Banned
mattp said:
i don't know man, the menus are japanese yes. but you can figure those out pretty quickly. once you get into the actual game the "instructions" on how to do each action are all just images anyway. no text
unless you're talking about understand the story between levels. but honestly..who cares about that

Well we're on the same page as far as recommending the game. I think it's fantastic. It's just that I would rather someone be prepared to learn what everything says instead of being blindsided by it.

But yeah, great game, everyone buy/download it.

Too bad the boxart looks so bad, becuase the ingame presentation is really nice.

Watching the gameplay video I would love to play it, it seem like lots of fun.

d+pad

Not sure I agree that it's the *most* underrated Wii game, but I will agree that it's a great little game.

Oh, and I will cry bitter tears if a sequel shows up on Move and not Wii as well :(

Adam J.

You know what I loved the most about this lovely game? It comes with a real life short-order cook hat for you to wear while playing!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Adam J. said:
You know what I loved the most about this lovely game? It comes with a real life short-order cook hat for you to wear while playing!

That's why I bought it day one, no joke.

Top Bottom