• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition |OT| Mourning Wood

Press Y at a spirit well (big save point).

Appreciate it. D'oh, can't believe I missed that.

Found the new area. Sad to say, this place has me pulling my hair out.
Being in near complete darkness with thorns all around and no sense of direction with a new platform mechanic
is nothing but a recipe for frustration. I can see what was being striven for, but I had no idea where to go and it took a good 10-15 minutes of trial/error dying just to find the right path, and even then I don't think I found it as I stumbled upon some places where it was obvious they were the intended way I should've gone but somehow got there backwards. I like the area, the art, sound, but it's the level design and lack of subtle suggestion of the general right direction that is confusing.

Definite Edition is awesome! Also with my new monitor game looks a lot lot better then before!

My new wallpaper:

oride_2016_04_28_08_5yyjcs.png

Btw, wish there was hide hud or like, when i attack hud will be visible style, because i wanna take screenshots from this awesome art. This is pure Inspiration!

Coxy100

Banned
Appreciate it. D'oh, can't believe I missed that.

Found the new area. Sad to say, this place has me pulling my hair out.
Being in near complete darkness with thorns all around and no sense of direction with a new platform mechanic
is nothing but a recipe for frustration. I can see what was being striven for, but I had no idea where to go and it took a good 10-15 minutes of trial/error dying just to find the right path, and even then I don't think I found it as I stumbled upon some places where it was obvious they were the intended way I should've gone but somehow got there backwards. I like the area, the art, sound, but it's the level design and lack of subtle suggestion of the general right direction that is confusing.

keep going - halfway through that level it becomes....'brighter' thanks to finding something...

epmode

Just got the dash ability. This wasn't in the original release? It's lots of fun!

I figure I'm about a third of the way through the game and I can't agree with the complaints about this being a masochistic platformer. Not with such a flexible save system anyway.

Qwark

What do you guys think of the soundtrack? Iam8bit has the vinyl for sale and I'm considering it, I played through the game and loved it, but I don't really remember much about the music.

What do you guys think of the soundtrack? Iam8bit has the vinyl for sale and I'm considering it, I played through the game and loved it, but I don't really remember much about the music.

The soundtrack is fantastic! One of my favorite bits about the game - I'd highly recommend getting the vinyl - I just ordered it :p

Anyone has any idea what to do with those
red lights/orbs, that you find near closed off parts?
I was at a part where there is one of those behind some spikes and a bit more down there is a sealed off area.

Qwark

The soundtrack is fantastic! One of my favorite bits about the game - I'd highly recommend getting the vinyl - I just ordered it :p

Started listening to it on Spotify and I'm feeling it, it's a pretty chill soundtrack. Checked on Iam8bit and the glow in the dark edition is sold out, darn :(

Started listening to it on Spotify and I'm feeling it, it's a pretty chill soundtrack. Checked on Iam8bit and the glow in the dark edition is sold out, darn :(

Oh damn... how did I never realize the soundtrack was on Spotify!? That's my listening for the evening while I work all sorted!

Ahh that's a shame that you didn't manage to grab a glow in the dark one :/ The normal one still looks awesome though!

Qwark

I was about to say isn't the $50 one out of stock like Qwark said:

But I just looked and yeah it's still showing as in stock for me - Go Qwark go!

I'm not sure what's going on, it says it's in stock until I get to the confirm order page and I get this error:

Inventory issues
Some products became unavailable and your cart has been updated. We're sorry for the inconvenience.

I'll keep watching it, maybe it's a glitch with their system.

Edit: Nevermind, I wasn't signed in. As soon as I was it let me go through. Got it ordered :)

TitanPilot

Neo Member
That's strange. I'm also using the latest RazerBlade and I can set the resolution to whatever I want... Send a mail to our feedback email, I'm guessing it's just a driver thing or something similar. #PCGaming...

Ah, Sofie seems to know how to fix it:

"Try disabling the display scaling on high DPI setting through the compatibility properties on the game's .exe :)
Hope that helps!"

It Worked! Thanks!

jb1234

I got my copy (which I'm very happy about) but Steam isn't letting me buy a copy for a friend of mine. The conversations on the Steam board seem to indicate that it was disabled because people were taking advantage of the discount to buy additional copies. I hope they fix this loophole soon because I just know my buddy is going to love this.

keep going - halfway through that level it becomes....'brighter' thanks to finding something...

Yea found it. Amazing new area and especially ability. Just a poor start.

Is there a Newgame+, starting off with all abilities? I had thought I read somewhere this was in the works.

Aurongel

Really enjoyed the additional content, I only wish that it gives you a little more direction at the start without the light orb. I spent a good five minutes fumbling around in the darkness before I found the mid-level path to progress. Plus if you dive all the way down to the lower levels, you'll get stuck.

After that though, the DLC is amazing. Some of the best art direction, level design and sound in the entire game. Like Artorias of the Abyss for Dark Souls, I can tell that this DLC is excellent because it pushes aspects of the game and refines other areas into something really great. Plus the new powers are actually more flexible than just about anything else in the main game. I just wish the
charge leap
didn't totally break some of the puzzles in the DLC, lol. It's very, very obvious that this DLC and the DE in general really took to heart some of the criticisms of the base game. Also, having a slightly lengthy teleport animation to mask the load time is an AWESOME way of making the transport look instantaneous. Really clever stuff going on under the hood there, I love the dedication to the seamless look.

Speaking of which, after a second playthrough I think the biggest aspect of the game design that doesn't work for me is how certain later-game powers completely invalidate others. This is a design mistake that many other Metroidvanias run into. I would have liked to see a little more diversity in the powers so you don't run into situations where
climb totally invalidates ledge jumping
. I get why the game was designed this way but it still irked me a little towards the end.

Press Alt+U to hide the hud.

MY MAN.

Woohoo! Since a lot of you have asked, iam8bit made a Vinyl version of our Soundtrack! :)

http://store.iam8bit.com/collections/vinyl/products/ori-and-the-blind-forest-vinyl-soundtrack-2xlp

Glow in the dark edition sold out.

Life is cruel ;_;

I did, I have a gsync monitor so it's the first thing I do. It was running at 60 on 120hz when I checked

Went back in to check. Weird, when I turn Vsync off even if I'm at 120h or 144hzz it seems to turn on some sort of cap to 60, when I turn vsync on, it syncs to 120hz.

I just tested this on my own 144hz g-sync monitor(Acer XB270H) with a 980 Ti. Same thing. Capped at 60 fps unless you enable v-sync in game. I put on the original game and the original game is not capped at 60 fps with v-sync off. Also, first time I started up the game, it opened on my non-primary monitor. Hasn't happened since then, but there are definitely some bugs that could be fixed in the future.

I cannot change my resolution to any higher than 1080p, using nvidia downsampling options on all of my games with no issues, other resolutions are available but when I click on them nothing happens. Tried "disabling display scaling on high DPI setting" but it didn't do anything.

Finished a 100% normal run last night. The game was still as fun as I remember. The new content is pretty fun although I wish it was a bit longer. The new powers aren't as overpowered as I'd thought they'd be, but they're still pretty useful. I'm looking forward to whatever you guys put out next, keep up the good work!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Sorry to hear about your car mate...but I hear you re the physical edition - Ori is the only game in 30 years of playing games that has ever made me cry - the prologue type bit - and is one of my favourite games ever.

I need it on my shelf!!

Yeah thanks man, it sucks especially since it's a huge expense and totally fucked up with my monthly budget, really wanted to finally play this game but I guess I'll wait for the supposedely coming physical release.

Justinh

I got my copy (which I'm very happy about) but Steam isn't letting me buy a copy for a friend of mine. The conversations on the Steam board seem to indicate that it was disabled because people were taking advantage of the discount to buy additional copies. I hope they fix this loophole soon because I just know my buddy is going to love this.

Oh, is that it? I've been trying to buy a gift copy to give away for a few days now.

I tried to do a contact support thing on steam to ask them, but it was forcing to make another account just for support within the steam client(c'mon...).

Yeah, hopefully they fix that loophole. I don't even have it on steam. I really don't want another copy for myself, but I thought it was forcing me to buy it so I could buy another gift copy. Good thing I held off...

Exentryk

Still need to buy my DE upgrade on Steam. Been distracted, but will get around to it eventually. May be this weekend.

wouwie

I had such a great time replaying the game in the definitive edition but at 65% i think i've hit a game breaking bug (which is the second time this happens with this game after the bug where i couldn't get out of the water in the original version...).

In the new area where you acquire the
light throwing ability, you have to light two fires to lower two platforms. I quit the game yesterday with both fires lighted and both platforms down but when i restarted today, both fires are still on but the second platform isn't lowered. Which means i can't jump on it and i can't light the 3rd fire to open to door. So i'm basically stuck in a room where i can't get out

I had such a great time replaying the game in the definitive edition but at 65% i think i've hit a game breaking bug (which is the second time this happens with this game after the bug where i couldn't get out of the water in the original version...).

In the new area where you acquire the
light throwing ability, you have to light two fires to lower two platforms. I quit the game yesterday with both fires lighted and both platforms down but when i restarted today, both fires are still on but the second platform isn't lowered. Which means i can't jump on it and i can't light the 3rd fire to open to door. So i'm basically stuck in a room where i can't get out

That sounds very strange and we never had that happen before. If you press Up on a save slot, you see the backup saves - you can load one of them to see if this fixes your issue.

wouwie

That sounds very strange and we never had that happen before. If you press Up on a save slot, you see the backup saves - you can load one of them to see if this fixes your issue.

Might be a very unlucky combination of setting a save point with the two fires already lit and then quitting. The second platform was lowered, i unlocked the door with the 3rd fire and then i quit. When i came back, both first fires were on, the first platform was lowered but the second one (the horizontal one where there is an enemy on the ceiling) isn't lowered anymore and i can't trigger it again because the corresponding fire is already on. I could take a screenshot. But i didn't think about the backup saves. Hopefully that solves my issue.

mike4001_

Great spot mate :)

Hopefully Thomas can clarify what editions etc are being released?

Official announcement incoming?!

Since this is releasing the day after the MS E3 conference I would not expect anything before than ;-)

Looks like an E3 announcement.

blacksark

Great spot mate :)

Hopefully Thomas can clarify what editions etc are being released?

Official announcement incoming?!
There are two editions, limited with ost and metalic case and a normal edition both editions include postcards and manual too.

Tizoc

Why the fuck are the escape sections so bloody frustrating?
I had to redo the Guinsoo Tree escape dozens of times before finally getting the fuck out of there. Bad enough one of the last enemies is a pain to hit properly to launch myself higher, one slight mistake and I can't friggin' progress.

Now in this Wind/Ice chamber the fucking icicles are just homing at my ass. Look let me just stay in this one position and drop an icicle every other 5 seconds close to my area while I'm trying to navigate these freakin' upward draft and all these water geysers blasting out.

I really like this game but it has some frustrating shit in it that don't need to be.

I had to redo the Guinsoo Tree escape dozens of times before finally getting the fuck out of there. Bad enough one of the last enemies is a pain to hit properly to launch myself higher, one slight mistake and I can't friggin' progress.

Now in this Wind/Ice chamber the fucking icicles are just homing at my ass. Look let me just stay in this one position and drop an icicle every other 5 seconds close to my area while I'm trying to navigate these freakin' upward draft and all these water geysers blasting out.

I really like this game but it has some frustrating shit in it that don't need to be.

In case it's too frustrating for you, you can set the difficulty to 'Easy' while you're playing and get checkpoints in these sequences, which should make them a whole lot easier :)

Tizoc

But i am playing on normal and really these sections should not frustrate me so on this difficulty especially when i fsil half a dozen times on the first section alone @.@

TSM

But i am playing on normal and really these sections should not frustrate me so on this difficulty especially when i fsil half a dozen times on the first section alone @.@

Yeah, the escape sequences are the only terrible sections of ganeplay, but people seem to love them regardless.

petran79

Banned
In theory theyre fine but some of the obstacles make it needlessly frustrating.

I remember all the cursing while playing world 3 of Giana Sisters TW. World 2 is twice as difficult as 1 and 3 twice as 2. Promised to play calm ever since

It sucks to suck.

I wish they were harder.

Does anyone know if Moon Grotto has a glitch where you can't get the last 1% of the map? I've found the secrets and been all over multiple times now, and I can't get the map to complete.

Top Bottom